Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2755500 times)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8300 on: June 06, 2019, 02:51:24 pm »
Same auction a cheap BK precision 9130 came along, so I had to have that one too.
It is rather heavy and makes noise (fan) which are the only two things I do not like.
Having three different voltage outputs from one PSU and with memory recallable settings is a new luxury for my shack, very nice esp when you have boards that need multiple voltages.

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8301 on: June 06, 2019, 04:29:59 pm »
I bought a couple of reels of cheap 60/40 rosin core solder to replace the expensive 63/37 rosin core crap I tried and hated.

I don't get it, the cheap stuff happily works really well at 330c-360c but the Loctite (formerly Multicore) spits like crazy even at 270c and just doesn't seem to adhere like rosin core solder should.  :palm:

Can you please inform where have you bought that unbranded cheap solder wire?

I used that same solder wire some time ago, and in my limited experience it was the best cheap solder wire I've had, but I can't recall from what ebay seller I bought it at the time.
Buying "good" cheap Chinese solder wire is "a shot in the dark" (not the Pink Panther movie).

For the good stuff I like ERSA (leaded) and WBT (with silver). For regular use, I have some NEVEX solder wire made in Portugal.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8302 on: June 06, 2019, 09:14:00 pm »
I bought a couple of reels of cheap 60/40 rosin core solder to replace the expensive 63/37 rosin core crap I tried and hated.

I don't get it, the cheap stuff happily works really well at 330c-360c but the Loctite (formerly Multicore) spits like crazy even at 270c and just doesn't seem to adhere like rosin core solder should.  :palm:

Can you please inform where have you bought that unbranded cheap solder wire?

I used that same solder wire some time ago, and in my limited experience it was the best cheap solder wire I've had, but I can't recall from what ebay seller I bought it at the time.
Buying "good" cheap Chinese solder wire is "a shot in the dark" (not the Pink Panther movie).

For the good stuff I like ERSA (leaded) and WBT (with silver). For regular use, I have some NEVEX solder wire made in Portugal.

I get it from rhino tools in Australia.

I've heard good things about kester so maybe I'll give them a shot next.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8303 on: June 07, 2019, 03:10:05 am »
I always wanted this beauty.
So when it popped up at an auction I probably overbid but I finally have it in my shack  :)

Cool. I'd never seen one before.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8304 on: June 07, 2019, 03:38:08 am »
As today has topped out at a nippy 10C outside and 15C with the 3.5kW Espresso machine running for shack warmth. Some mobile localised heat makes some more $ sense under the bench. $5 pesos from the Op Shop over the road  :-+

No woowoo graphene heaters in this wee beast.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8305 on: June 07, 2019, 04:27:38 am »
Aww, no graphene... :P
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8306 on: June 07, 2019, 05:38:50 am »
The wife bought me a new Vizio 24" smart tv for my desk the other day.  I ordered a articulating mount for it and it came today.  Fits the old drafting board real nice.  A new longer HDMI cord is arriving tomorrow so I can route it behind the table.

At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #8307 on: June 07, 2019, 02:42:23 pm »
A Western Digital Green 240 GB SATA SSD (WDS240G2G0A) for under 36€, for use with my headless Odroid HC1 (single-board octa-core Exynos5422).

I also have a USB-miniPCIe/WWAN adapter and a Huawei ME909s-120 3G/4G/LTE modem with a 9 dBi passive antenna to use with that, to make it into a firewall/router/miniserver for local cameras.  In a Beginner thread, I also mentioned I'm working on an Teensy 3.2 microcontroller carrier, to be used for a small custom display (OLED or IPS TFT) and a couple of buttons, power control, and checking for voltage/current spikes or dropouts; and for serial console via Teensy's USB connector.  (Getting all working at the same time does require changes to the Samsung serial driver in the Linux kernel, though.)
I likey.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #8308 on: June 07, 2019, 03:14:26 pm »

I don't think yours is rosin. Is it c400? Rosin is mentioned on their webpage: https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/nl/en/product/solder-wires/loctite_c_400.html . You may have a "special purpose" flux. Afaik I've seen an interactive page on loctite/multicore/whatever website with comparison charts helping to select the right product. But I don't have it at hand, sorry.

For rosing flux I'd suggest try HS10 solder. It's fine.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8309 on: June 07, 2019, 09:33:16 pm »
I don't think yours is rosin. Is it c400? Rosin is mentioned on their webpage: https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/nl/en/product/solder-wires/loctite_c_400.html . You may have a "special purpose" flux. Afaik I've seen an interactive page on loctite/multicore/whatever website with comparison charts helping to select the right product. But I don't have it at hand, sorry.

It sounds like a very mild low rosin flux, so for older/tarnished parts probably won't work well:

Multicore Crystal 400 Flux Cored Wire solid fluxes for cored solder wires have been specially formulated to complement No Clean wave and reflow soldering processes. They are also applicable to repair operations carried out after a cleaning process, eliminating the need for further cleaning. Halide free version – Crystal 400. Fast soldering – range of activities to suit all applications. Good spread on copper, brass and nickel. Clear residues. Heat stable – low spitting. Mild odour.

FLUX:C400 solid flux is based on modified rosin and carefully selected activators. In practice they exhibit a mild rosin odor and leave a small quantity of clear residue.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8310 on: June 08, 2019, 12:00:55 am »

It was supposed to be no-clean flux

https://www.digikey.com.au/products/en?keywords=82-121-ND

but I'll give the standard rosin activated solder a try next time.

https://www.digikey.com.au/products/en?keywords=82-104-ND

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8311 on: June 08, 2019, 12:08:06 am »

It sounds like a very mild low rosin flux, so for older/tarnished parts probably won't work well:

Multicore Crystal 400 Flux Cored Wire solid fluxes for cored solder wires have been specially formulated to complement No Clean wave and reflow soldering processes. They are also applicable to repair operations carried out after a cleaning process, eliminating the need for further cleaning. Halide free version – Crystal 400. Fast soldering – range of activities to suit all applications. Good spread on copper, brass and nickel. Clear residues. Heat stable – low spitting. Mild odour.

FLUX:C400 solid flux is based on modified rosin and carefully selected activators. In practice they exhibit a mild rosin odor and leave a small quantity of clear residue.

I mainly use it for building my vintage computer adapters which use new HASL PCB's.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #8312 on: June 08, 2019, 06:03:35 am »

Actually, I can't recommend HS10 either. It's also quite mild and works only for "shiny" parts and may require finding a right soldering temperature to work well.

I'd rather buy a solder wire without any flux as such fluxes have little to no specification (conductivity? corrosiveness? toxicity? "no clean" doesn't really mean anything, I have one wire with no-clean flux that causes severe headaches). I use fluxes that I tested (or others tested). For me it's no problem to apply "external" flux.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8313 on: June 09, 2019, 11:31:38 pm »

I ordered a 33m roll of 10cm kapton tape and the one I got stinks of urine.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8314 on: June 10, 2019, 12:36:08 am »
So the urine smell isn't normal? That's pretty gross.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8315 on: June 10, 2019, 12:41:26 am »
I have a smaller one branded "Airtech" that doesn't smell.
This one is non branded.
It feels the same and just as strong.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:48:20 am by MrMobodies »

Offline mrjoda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8316 on: June 10, 2019, 07:55:56 pm »
i just upgraded my power cord  ;D

next step : find suitable circuit brakers and last fifth segment connect trough safety IT transformer. And buy some current meters...

I've bought a Shurter cirtuit braker for panel mount rated to 6A/250V but his tripping characteristic is waaaaay too slow.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:58:31 pm by mrjoda »

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8317 on: June 11, 2019, 03:38:37 am »
I got a prologix GPIB-ethernet adapter via this forum from taemun today.
The adapter was well packed and shipped and he's a great guy to chat to. highly recomended to deal with.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8318 on: June 11, 2019, 07:53:13 am »
My multimeter is probably better than your mutimeter.

Ner ner.

Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8319 on: June 11, 2019, 08:02:07 am »

Ner ner.

First time I see a 34460A listed here at the forum.
What made you buy this one instead of the 34461A?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8320 on: June 11, 2019, 08:11:38 am »
What made you buy this one instead of the 34461A?

About $470.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8321 on: June 11, 2019, 08:28:13 am »

About $470.
That is a good reason!
Congratulations
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8322 on: June 11, 2019, 09:02:16 am »

Ner ner.

Have you ever looked around this forum?  :-DD

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8323 on: June 11, 2019, 12:45:53 pm »
Hey Scram, don't tease him like that.  Let him bask in his glory for awhile.  We don't want TiN, Ian J. and others with stacked 3458As to give him a bad case of meter envy. :-DD
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:48:24 pm by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8324 on: June 11, 2019, 12:58:00 pm »
Pfft! I just bought this one to throw into the car boot.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf