Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1191152 times)

djos, Kjelt and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8350 on: March 19, 2019, 06:40:19 pm »
Just picked these Nearfield Antennas up on ebay for a bargain (€40). I've been using homemade antennas up to now, so a few "real" ones were on my shopping list.

McBryce

Offline _Wim_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8351 on: March 20, 2019, 05:44:59 am »
Just picked these Nearfield Antennas up on ebay for a bargain (€40). I've been using homemade antennas up to now, so a few "real" ones were on my shopping list.

McBryce

Wauw, nice deal! Did you already do a side by side comparison with the homemade ones?

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #8352 on: March 20, 2019, 12:38:47 pm »
A Cubiio laser. I know it's a scam, but I love small and neatly built things :palm:.
It serves my application well -- to remove marks from chips, and to laser new marks.
It certainly can't match pulsed fiber lasers, but it kinda works, which is all what I want.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8353 on: March 20, 2019, 12:58:45 pm »
A Cubiio laser. I know it's a scam, but I love small and neatly built things :palm:.
It serves my application well -- to remove marks from chips, and to laser new marks.
It certainly can't match pulsed fiber lasers, but it kinda works, which is all what I want.
Pics or it's just a rumor.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #8354 on: March 20, 2019, 01:36:25 pm »
Pics or it's just a rumor.  :P

Picture attached.

Its motors are not good at all. When XY axes are moving at the same time, linear velocity lowers, hence effective laser power increases.

Thus, to get a crispy, thin image, I have to hand code G-code to compensate for that.

I'm working on a script that converts a bitmap to X-axis, uni-directional only, progressively scan motion, then enclose the rasterized pattern with a vector contour.

Lessons learned: things didn't get learned will come up later. I didn't bother learning G-code when I first got my CNC, now I'm forced to.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8355 on: March 20, 2019, 06:33:43 pm »

McBryce

Wauw, nice deal! Did you already do a side by side comparison with the homemade ones?

They haven't arrived yet, but I will do as soon as they are here. My homemade ones are made using the same method that Dave recently showed.

McBryce.

Offline gamalot

• Frequent Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • GAMALOT
« Reply #8356 on: March 20, 2019, 06:50:08 pm »
It's a SONY.  :)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
Neon Light Transformer
« Reply #8357 on: March 20, 2019, 07:40:29 pm »
Big dangerous piece of metal block ... a neon light transformer, free of charge.  >:D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 05:30:59 pm by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8358 on: March 20, 2019, 07:42:36 pm »
Its motors are not good at all. When XY axes are moving at the same time, linear velocity lowers, hence effective laser power increases.
Sounds more like a driver / power supply issue ?

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #8359 on: March 20, 2019, 07:50:57 pm »
Sounds more like a driver / power supply issue ?

No. It's just a POS. It's advertised as a galvo laser system, which is actually true, except that the mirrors are not moved by electromagnetic deflection coils, but by steppers. It's really built down to a cost.

I just managed to get my G-code generator to work, and with rester-only scanning, the image quality is way better than its default vector-based scanning.

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8360 on: March 20, 2019, 08:18:54 pm »
I hear decent feedback about the 40W small chinese lasers costing around $300-400.
Also not built to last but you can upgrade/ improve things yourself over time and they do the job.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8361 on: March 20, 2019, 08:27:09 pm »
I hear decent feedback about the 40W small chinese lasers costing around $300-400.
Also not built to last but you can upgrade/ improve things yourself over time and they do the job.

They are a bit of a mixed bag. I went a bit more upmarket for a 40W which added a few nicer features before a few more mods. to improve it some more. Take any review online with a big bag of salt as always if their is sales links attached. Being able to get the correct drop in replacement tube is a major thing to consider.

A good option for lower power marking and very limited cutting is add a 0.5W-5W Laser to a 3D printer as a clip/magnetic add on. The 0.5W one I got a while back marks softwoods and cuts heavy paper and I also burnt the label off an IC package as a test.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:37:48 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order :)

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #8362 on: March 20, 2019, 08:34:24 pm »
They are a bit of a mixed bag. I went a bit more upmarket for a 40W which added a few nicer features before a few more mods. to improve it some more. Take any review online with a big bag of salt as always if their is sales links attached. Being able to get the correct drop in replacement is a major thing to consider.

A good option for lower power marking and very limited cutting is add a 0.5W-5W Laser to a 3D printer as a clip/magnetic add on. The 0.5W one I got a while back marks softwoods and cuts heavy paper and I also burnt the label off an IC package as a test.

I was really after a toy that can do some niche IC marking job for aesthetic reasons.
If I was after a real laser system, I would either go with a Glowforge or a similarly priced Chinese pulsed fiber marker that chews metal but can't cut.
And a while ago I posted here a CAD design for a home-brew diode laser system which I didn't bother to build.

I knew well beforehand that Cubiio is a POS, but I just could resist small, neatly build gadgets, especially those from Taiwan and Japan, just for their design language.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Frequent Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #8363 on: March 21, 2019, 03:03:21 am »
Big dangerous piece of metal block ... a neon light transformer, free of charge.  >:D

I had one of these years ago, awesome for a ridiculously dangerous Jacobs ladder. :D
Any circuit design must contain at least one part which is obsolete, two parts which are unobtainable, and three parts which are still under development.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NearFarMedia/

Offline shakalnokturn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8364 on: March 22, 2019, 02:22:41 am »
Deliverd yesterday: Yet another ASYC II DMM, MX54 this time, 35€ shipped, I didn't have one of these so far.
I now have (at least) one of each in the 50k count models (MX53 to MX56), the interesting thing about the MX54 is that it has LCD backlight sidelight.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8365 on: March 22, 2019, 02:26:18 am »
Day before yesterday (sorry I still don't remember each day's name...):
A bunch of quad 18650 holders. The next problem is going to be the tough one, cheapish BMS with a bus.

Online drescherjm

• Contributor
« Reply #8366 on: March 22, 2019, 01:27:56 pm »
I think this will be adequate for my usage as a hobbyist.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 01:32:00 pm by drescherjm »
I have BS degrees in CS and EE both in 1996. Since this time I have worked for the same medical imaging research team primarily as a programmer. Now at 47 I am trying to get back into electronics projects.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8367 on: March 22, 2019, 05:17:18 pm »
drescherjm they're not bad power supplies... just be very careful of the preset buttons!

if you're not using presets, go through ASAP and set them all to 0V.

I was working with someone the other month and they had a prototype rigged up with a bunch of these supplies... they reached down to turn the outputs off on the different supplies, and managed to hit the preset button next to it instead. The preset was set to full 30V and full 5A CC. The circuit it was wired to was designed for a maximum of about 6V.... not a happy accident.

The following users thanked this post: drescherjm

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • GHz or bust
« Reply #8368 on: March 22, 2019, 05:47:50 pm »
RF calibration gold, tucked nicely in its new Peli case.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: BFX

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8369 on: March 22, 2019, 10:53:20 pm »
Deliverd yesterday: Yet another ASYC II DMM, MX54 this time, 35€ shipped, I didn't have one of these so far.
I now have (at least) one of each in the 50k count models (MX53 to MX56), the interesting thing about the MX54 is that it has LCD backlight sidelight.

I have one of these nice meters, the MX52 which has the neat party trick of a centre zero option display, ideal for radio alignment.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8370 on: March 22, 2019, 11:15:16 pm »
drescherjm they're not bad power supplies... just be very careful of the preset buttons!

if you're not using presets, go through ASAP and set them all to 0V.

I was working with someone the other month and they had a prototype rigged up with a bunch of these supplies... they reached down to turn the outputs off on the different supplies, and managed to hit the preset button next to it instead. The preset was set to full 30V and full 5A CC. The circuit it was wired to was designed for a maximum of about 6V.... not a happy accident.
Weird. I have the same one, and on mine, pressing a preset button automatically turns off the output.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8371 on: March 23, 2019, 12:01:04 am »

Weird. I have the same one, and on mine, pressing a preset button automatically turns off the output.

the one I saw looks the same from memory (maybe had a different brand on it though so might not be identical) and the guy hitting the preset button on that unit absolutely killed a board we were working on... but yeah, hopefully this one has that feature!

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #8372 on: March 23, 2019, 07:25:36 am »
A Thunderbolt dock for my Mac mini, mainly for its card reader and a myriad of USB ports.

Word of advice: don't buy it. It has ridiculously loud coil whine. I ended up stuffing the box with layers of foam to dampen it. The coils (plural) are closed, so I can't fill them with silicone gels.

Its thunderbolt power delivery system is designed to power a Mac book, and without a minimum load, the converter goes into pulse skipping mode and falls within audible range.

To completely eliminate the noise, I connected my third monitor (a bus powered USB-C one) to it, just for loading up the converter. Now it's dead silent.

Apparently when they designed this thing, they never anticipated the use with Mac minis and iMacs. I can understand that Mac minis with USB-C were not there yet at the time the dock was rolled, but iMacs with USB-C/TBT3 were already there.

It's a shame that an Apple-only premium brand like Caldigit made such an entry level user experience mistake. Well, even Apple themselves felt into this trap as can be seen on my Mac mini. There's a reason why I shove it under the shelf.

It's more shameful that many companies are starting to lose focus on those minute details. Many are just buying solution chipsets and put them together without researching on the topologies and their quirks.

FFS we need more real engineers, not just datasheet monkeys.

Online bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8373 on: March 23, 2019, 07:59:31 am »
A Thunderbolt dock for my Mac mini, mainly for its card reader and a myriad of USB ports.

Word of advice: don't buy it. It has ridiculously loud coil whine. I ended up stuffing the box with layers of foam to dampen it. The coils (plural) are closed, so I can't fill them with silicone gels.

It may be beneficial to post the manufacturer and model so folks know what to avoid if they're in the market for one.

FFS we need more real engineers, not just datasheet monkeys.

And designers who actually understand how to design useful and well-behaved products, web sites, etc. It really seems like things get crappier year after year. Or maybe my tolerance threshold simply gets lower with age. :-DD
Life is better under the TEA. ♪♩♫ Under the TEA. ♩♫

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #8374 on: March 23, 2019, 08:02:19 am »
It may be beneficial to post the manufacturer and model so folks know what to avoid if they're in the market for one.

Caldigit Thunderbolt Station 3 Plus.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf