Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754730 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8375 on: June 21, 2019, 02:31:12 am »
Some of these:

Off to have a play..............
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8376 on: June 21, 2019, 03:31:17 am »
An insane medical quality set of fine tip cutters and tweezers. Accidentally discovered a desk with stuff in a local mall by the nail salon. There was a lot to choose from. If you live in Toronto check the local major malls. Found it at Centerpoint mall @Yonge-Steeles but they may sell in other parts of GTA too.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8377 on: June 21, 2019, 04:01:29 am »
Finally, my own set of diddle sticks!  8)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8378 on: June 21, 2019, 06:31:07 am »

Does anybody know if there is a place in EU that sells them, I've always wanted such a kit but shipping costs are horrendous.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8379 on: June 21, 2019, 07:32:03 am »

Does anybody know if there is a place in EU that sells them, I've always wanted such a kit but shipping costs are horrendous.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

ebay.de seems like your best bet.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8380 on: June 21, 2019, 07:45:51 am »

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Sure, it's also my first try, but the shipping costs are crazy and the parcel will be intercepted by the German Eagle (TM) that will add sales tax including on the shipping costs + an enormous delay :(.
But it seem to be available at Digikey so next time I'll get something to reach the free shipping threshold, I'll get one if nobody will jump with an DE store that has human shipping price.

Cheers,
DC1MC

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #8381 on: June 21, 2019, 06:15:54 pm »
Sorry to interrupt the ever interesting subject of precision screwdrivers (excellent suggestions of vendors and models!)

I got a few bits (high power MOVs and cinch bars) to help protect my pool equipment.
(the ruler is only for reference - these things are big)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8382 on: June 23, 2019, 04:13:00 pm »
This just became available at my local surplus store.

Jack Ganssle does a tear down of it in this video:

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 04:18:21 pm by ledtester »

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8383 on: June 23, 2019, 04:37:59 pm »
Wow they must have had some big pockets back then...

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8384 on: June 23, 2019, 11:37:35 pm »
I finally got a chance, on the weekend, to give these a good workout - If any of you folk have the Hakko T12 clone stations (eg Quicko) then these are a HUGE upgrade - the consistency and quality is excellent and they take the T12 clone stations to a whole new level imo!

Got some very nice genuine Hakko T12 tips from Japan today.  :-+

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #8385 on: June 24, 2019, 07:04:49 am »
I finally got a chance, on the weekend, to give these a good workout - If any of you folk have the Hakko T12 clone stations (eg Quicko) then these are a HUGE upgrade - the consistency and quality is excellent and they take the T12 clone stations to a whole new level imo!

Are they visually different to the clones?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8386 on: June 24, 2019, 08:45:59 am »

Are they visually different to the clones?

TBH they are almost impossible to tell apart until you start using them. That said, the clone D24 is really chunky compared to the genuine Hakko and the coating on the clones isn't quite as nice imo.

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8387 on: June 24, 2019, 10:45:40 am »

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Sure, it's also my first try, but the shipping costs are crazy and the parcel will be intercepted by the German Eagle (TM) that will add sales tax including on the shipping costs + an enormous delay :(.
But it seem to be available at Digikey so next time I'll get something to reach the free shipping threshold, I'll get one if nobody will jump with an DE store that has human shipping price.

Cheers,
DC1MC

I got it from digi-key.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #8388 on: June 24, 2019, 11:49:23 am »
TBH they are almost impossible to tell apart until you start using them. That said, the clone D24 is really chunky compared to the genuine Hakko and the coating on the clones isn't quite as nice imo.

Did you compare temperatures? I'm asking because my ksger tips perform very well, can't image it soldering even better.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8389 on: June 24, 2019, 09:50:58 pm »

Did you compare temperatures? I'm asking because my ksger tips perform very well, can't image it soldering even better.

I haven't had a chance to use my Hakko calibration tool on it but I feel that the genuine Hakko tips are more consistent in maintaining temps, even the 1.6mm D tip which has less thermal mass.  I'd say the Hakko 1.6mm D tip is as good as the 2.4mm clone tip in this regard, and the 2.4mm Hakko is even better still. I dont want to sound too dramatic, but imo it's a noticeable step up.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8390 on: June 25, 2019, 07:29:42 am »
Needed to buy a few bottles of decent Superglue worth about $10. Hit up Hobbyking and spend a Lot Lot more than that  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8391 on: June 25, 2019, 07:34:34 am »
Needed to buy a few bottles of decent Superglue worth about $10. Hit up Hobbyking and spend a Lot Lot more than that  :palm:
On what ?  :popcorn:
Pics or it's just rumor.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8392 on: June 25, 2019, 07:39:50 am »

Nine boards like this! For *only* 30 Euro each + S/H! (the original price was 50 euro each)

Two weeks ago I was asked to teach something in the local computer science campus, so now I can manage people in a little class, and give a development card to each participant.

I am not a teacher, but this sounds like a cool experience. I am preparing a couple of examples in m68k/Coldfire-assembly and C  :D

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8393 on: June 25, 2019, 08:35:14 am »
IMO for newbies you can better teach them ARM be it Cortex M, boards available as low as $10 upto whatever you want to spend if you include lcd etc. 68k is a bit obsolete although the principles stay the same.

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8394 on: June 25, 2019, 09:17:55 am »
for newbies you can better teach them ARM be it Cortex M, boards available as low as $10 upto whatever you want to spend if you include lcd etc. 68k is a bit obsolete although the principles stay the same.

I was asked to teach a *classic architecture*, and 68k is the best choice. ARM will be considered for the Master Degree class, which is focused on advanced embedded programming, for which I have some working experience but no qualification as a teacher because I am not a teacher.

My task is 20 hours in total, and it's available to be chosen but it's not an obligatory laboratory that a student needs to pass in order to pass an examination, while the ARM-programming-class is something like more than 40 hours and it's an obligatory laboratory.

So, the *cool* factor is exactly teaching m68k, otherwise, the campus would have chosen a different candidate for the event :D

Offline Tracer-D

« Reply #8395 on: June 25, 2019, 11:01:53 am »
Last what I've bought was Dewalt (DXAEPS2) and these baby works better than I was thinking about. And the main "bonus" of these cool things, that if you don't need to start the engine of your car (or other vehicles) it can be used as an air compressor. I was looking for such a multi-tool like it by more than a month before I've found one review (if interesting read this post here) which makes me believe that I must buy it. The price was $259 on Amazon with free shipping. So, I can add, if you or your friends need such stuff - recommend without any kind of warrings  ^-^

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8396 on: June 25, 2019, 11:03:07 am »
I bought this... Before the Astro fanatics here ridicule me for buying a questionable budget device, I'm not into stargazing and my expectations are in line with what this can deliver. It's main purpose is to do some moon / near planet watching with my son (7) and my TEA doesn't extend to telescopes :) It was a return item too, which lowered the price even further, but unfortunately, the first buyer tried to tighten-up the mirror alignment screws and messed up the collimation, so I need to completely re-align it before I can watch anything further than the garden fence.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8397 on: June 25, 2019, 03:36:55 pm »
I was asked to teach a *classic architecture*, and 68k is the best choice. ARM will be considered for the Master Degree class, which is focused on advanced embedded programming, for which I have some working experience but no qualification as a teacher because I am not a teacher.
Ok then it makes sense  :-+ sorrythat I jumped to conclusions before knowing all the facts. Enjoy!

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #8398 on: June 25, 2019, 03:44:17 pm »
Got me a HP 85101B Display/Processor for cheap because it was cheap and looked interesting and has a CRT, and it was cheap.

Dunno what to do with it, or what it is even for.... haha, I should see if there is anything worth getting to plug into it..
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 03:45:55 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8399 on: June 25, 2019, 03:53:41 pm »

Nine boards like this! For *only* 30 Euro each + S/H! (the original price was 50 euro each)

Two weeks ago I was asked to teach something in the local computer science campus, so now I can manage people in a little class, and give a development card to each participant.

I am not a teacher, but this sounds like a cool experience. I am preparing a couple of examples in m68k/Coldfire-assembly and C  :D

Nice ferrite rod chokes in those buck regulators. You're course is all about about wide band transmitters it seems.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf