Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2789724 times)

wkb, RAPo, 6h8c and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8500 on: July 10, 2019, 02:55:11 am »
A piece of retro data storage gear. A HP 82901M  - dual 5.25" floppy disk unit with HP-IB interface.
Not because I needed it; more because it became available for a good price, is fairly rare, and will be compatible with a setup I'm trying to arrange, to drive other HP-IB storage devices.

Pic is after cleaning and a few small fixes.

Without looking it up, who can guess how many K-bytes this thing gets on a floppy?

Introduced in 1980, obsoleted in March of 1985
This is SN: 2101A11418, made around June 1982.

The PDF of the service manual I found at bitsavers is pretty bad, both quality and seeming to be for an earlier model (or had very poor accuracy checking.) So I'm looking for an original, or better PDF

Edit to add:
Density: Double sided, 35 tracks/side, 16 sectors, 256 byte sectors, MFM, hard sectored.
Total capacity: 286,720 bytes. (280KB)   Totally proprietary HP file structure.

It powers up, completes self test, sequentially inits both drives, and does respond on the HP-IB bus. But I don't yet have something that can talk with it properly and R/W files.

Update: better photos. BTW, they appear here in reverse order to that entered. Bug in the new photo upload feature?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:45:35 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8501 on: July 10, 2019, 03:09:39 am »
It's either 180kB SSDD or 360kB DSDD I'd say - nice find!

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8502 on: July 10, 2019, 03:17:52 am »
80s vintage so probably single sided disks. Same as the Apple II of the same vintage. Cut an extra notch in the disk and turn it over to use the other side.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8503 on: July 10, 2019, 03:30:42 am »
Today, a Piece of electronic and a not so electronic:

OnePlus 6T 8GB/256GB to use my China Mobile SIM Card, since my old Iphone 5S is not Unlocked, and the battery from it is starting to swollen, I need to change it but I'm waiting for my toolkit to arrive from Portugal here. Yes the Oneplus 7 is out already, but got this one with an heavy discount, and it's more than enough for my needs.

The other one is one of my Passions, Watches. This is the Seiko 5 SNZG17J1 Sports Automatic Movement watch, no battery needed since the winding is made by the movement while using it, with reserve for 40 hour full winded.

I retrofitted with a WatchGecko Nato G10 Strap in Black, removing the Metal Links with Clasp one that came originally. The watch itself it's a model that it's already non being manufacture, but for a daily driver / beater watch is enough instead of using my other most expensive ones.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8504 on: July 10, 2019, 04:39:29 am »
Nice watch! :-+

(better than the usual beater)
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8505 on: July 10, 2019, 05:03:22 am »
Nice watch! :-+

(better than the usual beater)

Yes, normally as beater most used the typical Casio F-91W if you want a reliable cheap Quartz movement or the Seiko 5 SNK803 that it's a $60 watch. I used a Casio F-91W for years, since I was 12, but I can really get used to the digital numbering. I'm fond of the typical analog movement instead of the digital one.

But being that this one is no more manufactured it's a good all around watch for everyday use. I call it beater but in reality I'm someone who takes care with my watches, for example if I'm working in places were the watch could hit something and get scratches I normally take out. Even being a beater is still something I want to keep pristine the max time possible.

I current use a OnePlus 5, and I'm very happy with it. Fast, all-day-long battery, and dual SIM (I have a T-Mobile for daily use, and a China Unicom for receiving Chinese verification codes).

I think of put the Portuguese SIM card here too, and have a phone for both things, but I still have a lot of people that uses iPhones and iMessage, so it stays in the iPhone until I have a reliable equivalent official app on Android OS. I'm more turned into getting a Google FI SIM card and register here to that way have a good price for Roaming when I go to Hong Kong or move around the World. Of course Google FI only it's sold in the USA and I didn't got there to buy one yet. The sellers that I found on eBay don't ship to China because they say the shipping costs are more expensive that the card itself.

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #8506 on: July 10, 2019, 07:23:09 am »
That watch reminds me a bit of IWC's Pilots Watch line.  I used to have one years ago and always liked that type of design.

Looks good!

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #8507 on: July 10, 2019, 08:19:12 am »
I started down the automatic watch rabbit hole last year with a Seiko turtle, and recently got an Orient Kamasu.  It's dangerous territory to venture in to (for one's bank account, at least!)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8508 on: July 10, 2019, 08:31:07 am »
One of the ones that I still want is the Seiko Sea Urchin with a Bond Nato Strap. That one would complement this one plus the 2 other Seiko Quartz Chronographs I have, the 7T62 Sportura Honda F1 Team Limited and the 8T67 Chronograph.

My wife have a 7T12 Lukia Chronograph that I offer her. All Seiko, yes I know, I'm a Sucker for Japanese Movement

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #8509 on: July 10, 2019, 10:02:19 am »
I have since more than 10 years a Swiss made Traser H3 mb-mictrotec limited blue edition. Best watch I've ever had.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8510 on: July 10, 2019, 05:55:30 pm »
I started down the automatic watch rabbit hole last year with a Seiko turtle, and recently got an Orient Kamasu.  It's dangerous territory to venture in to (for one's bank account, at least!)

Just another form of TEA (Time Equipment Addiction). :-DD

I moved away from battery-powered watches. Automatic or solar for me (granted solar watches have batteries, but I don't have to change them every couple of years).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8511 on: July 10, 2019, 06:58:24 pm »
I moved away from battery-powered watches. Automatic or solar for me (granted solar watches have batteries, but I don't have to change them every couple of years).
A X-33 is pretty sweet, despite its battery [emoji41]

Sent from my X using Tapatalk

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #8512 on: July 10, 2019, 07:49:51 pm »
Some open-ended / ring spanner from Gedore, 3mm, 3.2mm, 3.5mm, 4mm and 4.5mm

Some Grayhill rotary switches 1 x 10 position, very nice

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #8513 on: July 10, 2019, 11:51:51 pm »

Just another form of TEA (Time Equipment Addiction). :-DD

Yes, I've noticed that.

Here's a pic of the gateway drug:

It relieved my long suffering and battered Citizen Eco-Drive from its toil.  I need to get the crystal on the Citizen changed, as it's rather scratched from about 12-13 years of daily wear.  I haven't photographed the Kamasu yet, but it has a nice rich red face that's more understated than the shimmery blue one on the Seiko.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8514 on: July 11, 2019, 07:27:07 am »
Oh no don't turn this into a WIS forum... at least keep it relevant...

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8515 on: July 11, 2019, 07:28:51 am »
People were keeping this civilized until someone bring up the big guns.... Rolex is another scale of bank account killer!!!!! :-DD

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8516 on: July 11, 2019, 07:43:52 am »
Well spotted... :-DD

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8517 on: July 11, 2019, 08:19:26 am »
That I spotted after you told about the logo, since I also have one 289. Or it can be the 287...  >:D

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8518 on: July 11, 2019, 10:07:03 am »
I don't think that Flir pouches are that expensive to be honest.  ;D

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #8519 on: July 11, 2019, 10:29:28 am »
Ohh, a Sea-Dweller.  That is the only automatic watch I have left (and the only one I need).  Although I bought mine almost 15 years ago, so tad different than that model.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8520 on: July 11, 2019, 11:28:19 am »
...Sex on a stick!!! ...

Yes, yes it is...

I have 2 sets myself, 1 in the office and 1 in my work tool bag.

Got my set today and Sex on a stick is an entirely accurate description! I'm going to order a second set now for out and about usage.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8521 on: July 11, 2019, 05:53:04 pm »
Not electronics related but tool related. Mrs GreyWoolfe, for whatever reason unbeknownst to me, loves me to death.  She just bought me this as I have far more stuff now than what my poor little Craftsman 26" toolbox can handle.  A Husky 60" toolbox.  I will have to properly thank her tonight  >:D  It will be here next Friday and as I am already off for some work being done on the house, I get to accept delivery and play with it right away. :clap:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, djos

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8522 on: July 11, 2019, 10:18:12 pm »
Not electronics related but tool related. Mrs GreyWoolfe, for whatever reason unbeknownst to me, loves me to death.  She just bought me this as I have far more stuff now than what my poor little Craftsman 26" toolbox can handle.  A Husky 60" toolbox.  I will have to properly thank her tonight  >:D  It will be here next Friday and as I am already off for some work being done on the house, I get to accept delivery and play with it right away. :clap:

Nice! Isn't it awesome when you find a girl who really looks after you like that! My lovely wife is always buying me retro and film-themed t-shirts - the latest one was a Back to the Future t-shirt. 

:-+

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8523 on: July 12, 2019, 02:06:59 am »

Nice! Isn't it awesome when you find a girl who really looks after you like that! My lovely wife is always buying me retro and film-themed t-shirts - the latest one was a Back to the Future t-shirt. 

:-+

Oh, yes it is.  This one is 180 degrees opposite of the first one.  Truly a blessing who I tried to tell her that I wasn't interested in a relationship and that I was too old for her.  She was a persistent one, she was.  Yes, indeed.  Glad she didn't listen to me.  She has accepted me with all of my foibles and she as helped me to grow as a husband, step-father and man.  I tell her every day that I am thankful and grateful for her and I also try to show her every day how I feel about her.

And the tool box is only half of it.  Next week I get to upgrade my air compressor!!!!! :-+ :-+
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:09:12 am by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: djos, Nominal Animal

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8524 on: July 12, 2019, 02:27:00 am »
Lucky you mate, I'd love mine to be that understandable. When I speak into buying new equipment she simply looks at me and says: "Did the equipment in question is something you need or something you want?"

Most of the times I lose... :-BROKE

[edit] Well 99% of the times...[/edit]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf