Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754519 times)

Qw3rtzuiop and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8525 on: July 12, 2019, 02:28:22 am »
Lucky you mate, I'd love mine to be that understandable. When I speak into buying new equipment she simply looks at me and says: "Did the equipment in question is something you need or something you want?"

Most of the times I lose... :-BROKE
Ask the same questions about shoes, bags, nails or shampoo. You'll make a point, but lose anyway.  :P

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8526 on: July 12, 2019, 02:31:47 am »
Ask the same questions about shoes, bags, nails or shampoo. You'll make a point, but lose anyway.  :P

I've done that yes, and exactly that same thing... Now I simply say " You know, I know I will lose anyway but still didn't... (bla bla bla bla). That's my point. Just tell me when it arrives for me to pickup in the postal box."

She plays me like a fiddle. But she's a great wife, I'm not really regretting having her!

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8527 on: July 12, 2019, 03:21:41 am »
Lucky you mate, I'd love mine to be that understandable. When I speak into buying new equipment she simply looks at me and says: "Did the equipment in question is something you need or something you want?"

I don't even bother asking my wife about her expenditure on shoes and handbags and she doesn't ask me about spending on tools and retro computers. We both have an agreed monthly allowance each which makes the whole thing painless.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #8528 on: July 12, 2019, 04:01:09 am »

[edit] Well 99% of the times...[/edit]

Something to keep in mind - it is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #8529 on: July 12, 2019, 09:36:21 am »

Something to keep in mind - it is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

-Pat

Personal experience, I reckon?  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8530 on: July 12, 2019, 09:45:14 am »
Pre-ordered.

From the Earth to the Moon - Blu-ray

(I don't even own a Blu-ray player)

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8531 on: July 12, 2019, 10:05:04 am »
Pre-ordered.

That's funny!  ;D
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8532 on: July 12, 2019, 10:47:41 am »
Pre-ordered.

Don't worry, I can tell you how it ends :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8533 on: July 12, 2019, 03:00:14 pm »

McBryce.
"Humans didn't return to the Moon for over 50 years. The End."  :-[

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8534 on: July 12, 2019, 09:38:21 pm »
Pre-ordered.

McBryce.

Spoiler alert. 
Wife comes back from the Thrift Shop with a $15 used Blueray Player.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #8535 on: July 13, 2019, 04:19:27 am »
Snagged an old HP 5245M counter from the bay of meal intent; was able to arrange local pickup so I didn't get killed on shipping.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #8536 on: July 13, 2019, 09:50:04 pm »
Not electronics related but tool related. Mrs GreyWoolfe, for whatever reason unbeknownst to me, loves me to death.  She just bought me this as I have far more stuff now than what my poor little Craftsman 26" toolbox can handle.  A Husky 60" toolbox.  I will have to properly thank her tonight  >:D  It will be here next Friday and as I am already off for some work being done on the house, I get to accept delivery and play with it right away. :clap:

You married an enabler, just like mine!!!  :-DD

My wife found one like this for me at COSTCO and surprised me with for my birthday about 15 years ago; it's the biggest one CSPS ever made at 56" x 61" and 23 drawers. Too bad you can't buy them at COSTCO anymore...  |O

In other News... I Have a Little TEA to Share!!!

eBay auction: #133017269362   My LAMBDA LQ-532s arrived on Thursday; aside from shooting a few quick pix as I unpacked it, haven't had a chance to do anything with 'em til today.

1) Just as I found them when I lifted the nice, heavy double-wall carton full of HDPE foam off the top; aside from not having anything between the two units, they were definitely packed with plenty of heavy duty stuffing.  :-+

2) Damn. I REALLY wish they had put something between the two. All those little scars are new from their trip to my home. |O Good thing these things are built literally like a tank.  :-\

3) Both these units are unbelievably clean, inside & out. Aside from the sticker residue that was shown in the auction photos, no dirt or blems except a little shelf wear. One of them actually has the feet & HP-style prop kit! :-+

4) A close-up of all that delicious heavy metal. Look at that lovely map of all the POIs.  :-DD I did some quick continuity tests to make sure no dead shorts where there obviously shouldn't be any; all negative both units.  :-+

5) The voltage pot is a 10-turn; no idea why they didn't do the same on the current limit, but oh well. I can always add that at a later date; I have oodles in numerous sizes from my homebrew PSU project.
Not bad for two little piggies right out of the poke; and $66 for the pair is definitely a NICE price!  ;D For this deal on THESE juiceboxes, I'll MAKE room... If I have to put them under my feet all the way to Toronto. :-DD

There's more pics and discussion on these  at the original post in our TEA thread here.

mnem
Hey, it happens every one in a while. ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8537 on: July 13, 2019, 09:55:14 pm »
Nice! Isn't it awesome when you find a girl who really looks after you like that! My lovely wife is always buying me retro and film-themed t-shirts - the latest one was a Back to the Future t-shirt.  :-+
Oh, yes it is.  This one is 180 degrees opposite of the first one.  Truly a blessing who I tried to tell her that I wasn't interested in a relationship and that I was too old for her.  She was a persistent one, she was.  Yes, indeed.  Glad she didn't listen to me.  She has accepted me with all of my foibles and she as helped me to grow as a husband, step-father and man.  I tell her every day that I am thankful and grateful for her and I also try to show her every day how I feel about her.

And the tool box is only half of it.  Next week I get to upgrade my air compressor!!!!! :-+ :-+

Hmmmm... *sniffs the air* why do I smell "that new car smell"...? :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8538 on: July 14, 2019, 03:29:07 am »
Not electronics related but tool related. Mrs GreyWoolfe, for whatever reason unbeknownst to me, loves me to death.  She just bought me this as I have far more stuff now than what my poor little Craftsman 26" toolbox can handle.  A Husky 60" toolbox.  I will have to properly thank her tonight  >:D  It will be here next Friday and as I am already off for some work being done on the house, I get to accept delivery and play with it right away. :clap:

In other News... I Have a Little TEA to Share!!!

That's an interesting spaghetti sauce meter...

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8539 on: July 14, 2019, 05:10:20 am »
   Yeah; the Ragu 17b was a "thing" a while back; a vendor had them on Amazon for $9.99 delivered so I got one just to see if a lump of coal came in the box. They're actually a fair meter; IIRC it uses the same DM1106EN chipset as the ANENG AN8008, but with a few firmware glitches in the uA/mA ranges as others discussed somewhere around here on the ANENG AN800x thread. It's a good enough low-voltage meter (I include US domestic mains 120VAC in that category) as a second for when I "want to do something stupid" without risking my 189/3478A, or to do V/A at the same time quick & easy. But my little test stand (a 2-day print of my own design) is NEVER that tidy anymore.  :palm:

The spaghetti came from here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2314755/#msg2314755

mnem
I can haz lasagna?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:25:19 am by mnementh »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8540 on: July 14, 2019, 12:18:56 pm »

My wife found one like this for me at COSTCO and surprised me with for my birthday about 15 years ago; it's the biggest one CSPS ever made at 56" x 61" and 23 drawers. Too bad you can't buy them at COSTCO anymore...  |O

I remember some years ago, Sam's Club selling something very similar.  Used to kind of drool on it a bit.  Haven't seen it in a very long time.  They still show a 26" on their website but I haven't seen it in the store.

Hmmmm... *sniffs the air* why do I smell "that new car smell"...? :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*  >:D

And a very stimulating smell it is, indeed.  Makes me twitch. :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8541 on: July 14, 2019, 04:31:29 pm »
Yes... and I get the feeling that may be what Mrs GreyWoolfe is leading up to with all this "understanding-ness"...  >:D

mnem
This is a perfectly good time to:

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8542 on: July 14, 2019, 06:52:18 pm »

Same happened to me. I got two of them and they are just amazing, especially for the price at the time.
The only thing I changed was to take all aluminum handles off and had them red anodized. It looks so cool!
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8543 on: July 15, 2019, 01:51:47 am »
5 out 7 chunks of my new PC - 'Some assembly Required'

The Power Supply seller 'Digilife' and their packaging makes me wonder if they used to work for Digikey or if they are an offshoot.  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8544 on: July 15, 2019, 02:17:42 am »

The Power Supply seller 'Digilife' and their packaging makes me wonder if they used to work for Digikey or if they are an offshoot.  :palm:

It could be worse. I received some years ago a PC component with the original box of the component only. So basically pick up the component, and instead of put inside another box, no simply stuck the shipping sticker on it and off it goes! At least you have some protection...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8545 on: July 15, 2019, 03:10:15 am »
Not Arrow but Mouser is 'special' too along with this Digikey one. 2x LTZ1000's .....

The Case has now turned up so just the GPU to go but I can do most of the rest now.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8546 on: July 15, 2019, 03:18:24 am »

Presumably you have never dealt with Arrow.
Defpom just got some stuff from them and it was all wrapped up like a P*X doctors d*ck !  :o

Not Arrow but Mouser is 'special' too along with this Digikey one. 2x LTZ1000's .....

The Case has now turned up so just the GPU to go but I can do most of the rest now.

Watching with interest.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8547 on: July 16, 2019, 12:18:30 am »
After destroying my cheap Jaycar bench mat, while removing SMD components with my Hot air gun on the weekend, I finally ordered a hopefully decent mat from Amazon:

Bertech 2059T-18x30BKT ESD High Temperature Rubber Mat Kit with A Wrist Strap and A Grounding Cord, 18" Wide x 30" Long x 0.08"

and it arrived yesterday, my bench looks so much better now!  :-+

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8548 on: July 17, 2019, 04:06:41 am »
A pink Macbook 12" 2017 as a nostalgic item since it was discontinued (hello MSFT, how about making a Surface Go that doesn't stutter? It would be better if it doesn't take 2 seconds to popup Action Center). I shouldn't have sold mine last year in the first place :palm:.
You can try to learn using macOS on this. If you have the CS foundation you will find macOS a solid UNIX distribution, capable of replacing Linux in some cases. Also do install Xcode, XQuartz and homebrew for maximum code compatibility with Linux.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf