Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2779641 times)

Offline djos

• Supporter
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8575 on: July 24, 2019, 11:07:57 am »
Just ordered a new Netgear R7800 wifi router to improve wifi coverage to the garage.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #8576 on: July 24, 2019, 11:18:42 am »
Kapton points:

12 OPA177GS

https://www.ti.com/store/ti/en/p/product?p=OPA177GS

40x TS271CN, 8x LT1498CN8, 9x UPB8284AD, 3x LT1080CN, 6x ETC5057J, 2x DG485DJ, 2x SL6601 C/3 - all for EUR 7,50    :-+

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8577 on: July 24, 2019, 11:55:06 am »
Just ordered a new Netgear R7800 wifi router to improve wifi coverage to the garage.

If you find it keeps disconnecting itself from the internet for no reason, then let me know... I've fought that battle and (semi) won :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: djos

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8578 on: July 24, 2019, 01:51:01 pm »
If you find it keeps disconnecting itself from the internet for no reason, then let me know... I've fought that battle and (semi) won :)

McBryce.
I fought that battle too. Ended up switching to a full TP-Link enterprise grade stack: a TL-SG3226PE PoE switch to power the AP's (and allow PoE on all wall Ethernet jacks in my apartment,) a TL-AC100 wireless controller for central management and proper Wi-Fi roaming, and three TL-AP1205GI-PoE wall panel access points in thin AP mode. For the sake of smooth Wi-Fi roaming I have even switch the security options to WPA2 Enterprise, with a RADIUS server running on a Raspberry Pi.

My apartment has a foot-thick reinforced concrete wall in the middle of it, blocking any RF signal from penetrating from one side to the other, thus when renovating it is fully wired up with Category 6a cables for Internet access.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:52:56 pm by technix »

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8579 on: July 24, 2019, 02:30:26 pm »
My issues weren't with the WiFi, it was the connection between the router and my service provider. The router disconnected itself every 10 minutes for no apparent reason.

McBryce.

Offline mrjoda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8580 on: July 24, 2019, 08:12:38 pm »
today, i had nice email. It started like : dear colleagues, our furniture in our offices are going to replace for new one. You can take furniture marked with pink strip to home for free, otherwise it will be thrown away...

So, i bribe two colleagues with ice cream for moving and i have new desk, locker and esd chair in my appartment :) Desk is 180x80cm, steel body,height adjustment and power distribution rail under desk. Locker is 100x100x40, both of them Konig and Neurath company. And ESD chair, dunno, but, who cares.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8581 on: July 24, 2019, 08:59:12 pm »

McBryce.

Cheers. I actually got this as an open box from a German distributor for a great price - it should go really well with my NBN 100/40 FTTC connection.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8582 on: July 24, 2019, 11:00:33 pm »
today, i had nice email. It started like : dear colleagues, our furniture in our offices are going to replace for new one. You can take furniture marked with pink strip to home for free, otherwise it will be thrown away...

So, i bribe two colleagues with ice cream for moving and i have new desk, locker and esd chair in my appartment :) Desk is 180x80cm, steel body,height adjustment and power distribution rail under desk. Locker is 100x100x40, both of them Konig and Neurath company. And ESD chair, dunno, but, who cares.

That's a nice score. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8583 on: July 24, 2019, 11:06:41 pm »

https://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImage/33-122-818-07.jpg

McBryce.

Out of curiosity, are you using PPPoE authentication on your Netgear?

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8584 on: July 25, 2019, 06:53:26 am »
Got some AD587JQ in   ceramic package, from Taobao. Just came in the mail yesterday. They seem to be the real deal and  obviously been desoldered from boards. Date codes are all over the shop... from '89 up to '06.

Going to make some traveling voltage references from them

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8585 on: July 25, 2019, 07:07:03 am »

https://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImage/33-122-818-07.jpg

McBryce.

Out of curiosity, are you using PPPoE authentication on your Netgear?

Yup.

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: djos

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8586 on: July 25, 2019, 08:12:07 am »
Got some AD587JQ in   ceramic package, from Taobao. Just came in the mail yesterday. They seem to be the real deal and  obviously been desoldered from boards. Date codes are all over the shop... from '89 up to '06.

Going to make some traveling voltage references from them

Digikey too expensive?

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8587 on: July 25, 2019, 10:07:07 am »
  Well,  I did get 10 of them for the price of one from digikey. But that was not the intent. I also have a few from Mousdr that I bought.

My line of thought was that I want some aged AD587s to see how they compare to the new ones in terms of drift and noise.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, exe

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8588 on: July 27, 2019, 06:03:50 pm »
Not TEA but tool related.  Mrs GreyWoolfe continued her greatness by allowing me to upgrade my old HF compressor to a Husky 30 gallon, 5.3 CFM @ 90 PSI compressor.  You can see it is outfitted with an Ingersol Rand ARO air filter attached with a 5.5" brass NPT nipple and Milton HIGHPROFLO V series high volume quick connects, as are all the air tools.  I also have the Husky extended drain that will go on after I do an oil change.  I don't really want to tilt the compressor over with oil in it.  Break in went fine and it rolls off lug nuts with my 1/2" impact wrench.  The other thing most notable is that it is quieter than my HF compressor.  That is quite nice.

Much thanks goes to mnementh, my co-worker and my son for helping me make the decision on the compressor and accessories.  mnem, you were spot on with the Milton connectors, what a difference.  Hopefully, it will last as long as my HF toy compressor.  That will be going up for sale with some extra stuff for cheap for a quick sale.

796242-0
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 06:10:28 pm by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8589 on: July 27, 2019, 06:40:23 pm »
I am beginning to think these are bribes for all the projects she wants you to start.
Or finish.
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8590 on: July 28, 2019, 12:26:02 am »
I am beginning to think these are bribes for all the projects she wants you to start.
Or finish.

Nothing to finish but well aware of projects to come.  :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline ocw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8591 on: July 28, 2019, 03:53:02 am »
I was looking for a used spectrum analyzer that wasn't too old and had a resolution bandwidth of not more than 1 Hz.  I found something which met those qualifications, plus had a variety of additional features at a good price.  It was an Anritsu MT8222A Base Station Analyzer.  The features that it came with (some standard, some optional) included:
  • 7.1 GHz Spectrum Analyzer with 1 Hz RBW and what amounts to a tracking generator.
  • 10 - 4,000 MHz Cable and Antenna Analyzer which can measure VSWR, Return Loss, Provide a Smith Chart Display, Cable Loss, Distance to Fault, Gain or Loss, Relative Phase, and Field Strength.
  • Power Meter by itself, with additional features using an external sensor.
  • Interference Analyzer.  See an example of using this feature on DTV signals.  The spectrogram can show changes due to multi-path signals.
  • CW Signal Generator.
  • GPS Receiver which provides accurate location, time and more precise frequency measurement.  It even retains some of that accuracy for up to three days after GPS reception.
  • New Battery plus AC Operation.
  • Several Armored Test Cable like the Anritsu 15NN50-3.0C.
  • A variety of cell phone options that I will rarely use.
I have a picture attached of the unit, plus one of a Spectrogram from it on some of the local DTV signals.

I also have a view of it in the Cable and Antenna Analyzer mode functioning as a spectrum analyzer with a tracking generator.  I was evaluating a new model Pulse CX2040LNL RF transformer.  It is rated for use between 1.5 - 500 MHz (+/-3 dB).  Those displays were taken with the MT8222A and the excellent Anritsu software.

While the MT8222A and B are no longer available, the MT8220T is still available with similar features plus additional cell phone features.

So far it rates as an excellent purchase!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 04:16:06 am by ocw »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #8592 on: July 29, 2019, 12:15:06 am »
Not TEA but tool related.  Mrs GreyWoolfe continued her greatness by allowing me to upgrade my old HF compressor to a Husky 30 gallon, 5.3 CFM @ 90 PSI compressor.  You can see it is outfitted with an Ingersol Rand ARO air filter attached with a 5.5" brass NPT nipple and Milton HIGHPROFLO V series high volume quick connects, as are all the air tools.  I also have the Husky extended drain that will go on after I do an oil change.  I don't really want to tilt the compressor over with oil in it.  Break in went fine and it rolls off lug nuts with my 1/2" impact wrench.  The other thing most notable is that it is quieter than my HF compressor.  That is quite nice.

Much thanks goes to mnementh, my co-worker and my son for helping me make the decision on the compressor and accessories.  mnem, you were spot on with the Milton connectors, what a difference.  Hopefully, it will last as long as my HF toy compressor.  That will be going up for sale with some extra stuff for cheap for a quick sale.

(Attachment Link)

Glad I could help, my friend. The V-Style connectors also seal better and last longer before the rubber bit starts to hiss at you when you move the tool around, compared to the ubiquitous "M" style and Aro couplers from days passed.

Cheers,

mnem
Air=Power.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:18:38 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline ocw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8593 on: July 30, 2019, 01:34:21 am »
The Anritsu MT8222A Spectrogram with my prior message looks pixelated due to changes in the signal's amplitude with time and due to multi-path reception.  I thought that I would prompt that color change by rotating my receive antenna.  So, today's Spectrogram attachment shows reception with the antenna first pointed south, then southeast, next east-northeast and finally west-southwest.  Sometimes the color change is due to my antenna's directivity with the same station while at other times a different station is being received.  Channel 23 shows an example of at different headings, three different stations were being received.

At the lower edge of each signal, you can see a pilot stronger in amplitude than the main signal.  Some stations have this pilot's frequency controlled by the GPS satellite.  When that is the case the pilot will be precisely 309.440559 kHz above the lower edge of a station's 6 MHz bandwidth.  An example of where that is the case for a local station on channel 22 is shown on the second attachment.  With the spectrum analyzer set for 100 Hz bandwidth and both a RBW and VBW of 1 Hz, you can see that pilot just below 518.309441 MHz on my GPS locked MT8222A.  It demonstrates how broadcast stations with GPS receivers connected to their exciters can be used as frequency references.  But remember, not all stations have GPS receivers in use.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 01:56:13 am by ocw »

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #8594 on: July 30, 2019, 08:24:43 am »
I like to make boxes that bring the force/sense lines from my power supplies that sit on my shelf down to my bench for easier access.  This is my latest one for an old Keithely 238 SMU.  Normally I just 3D print the front panel since my power tools consist of just a handheld drill, but I decided to try out my new step bits.  I think it came out pretty good, and it is already proving to be very convenient.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8595 on: July 31, 2019, 12:20:33 am »
That's very nice, JxR. I should do that for my Keithley 228.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8596 on: July 31, 2019, 06:44:41 am »
Just picked up a Siglent SHS806 because the price was well below the normal and I've been on the look out for something I can use in the garage. As for the scope itself.... Hmmmm, the jury is still out on this one. They really need to work on the firmware, time will tell whether this one grows on me.

I hope it stops smelling like the back entrance of a chemical factory soon too!

McBryce.

Offline CiscERsang

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8597 on: July 31, 2019, 07:20:33 am »
Just picked up a Siglent SHS806 because the price was well below the normal and I've been on the look out for something I can use in the garage. As for the scope itself.... Hmmmm, the jury is still out on this one. They really need to work on the firmware, time will tell whether this one grows on me.

I hope it stops smelling like the back entrance of a chemical factory soon too!

McBryce.

Does it have rs232 communication option and software for PC?

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8598 on: July 31, 2019, 07:26:32 am »
It has USB to PC not RS232. I only had a few minutes to mess about with the software though and it looks rather basic.

McBryce.

Offline CiscERsang

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8599 on: July 31, 2019, 07:45:14 am »
It has USB to PC not RS232. I only had a few minutes to mess about with the software though and it looks rather basic.

McBryce.

So, to watch on signals remotely ~ 30 m it needs to be used two usb-rs232 converter/amplifier, due to usb specification limitations. Or?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf