Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2782372 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8600 on: July 31, 2019, 08:44:05 am »
It has USB to PC not RS232. I only had a few minutes to mess about with the software though and it looks rather basic.

McBryce.

So, to watch on signals remotely ~ 30 m it needs to be used two usb-rs232 converter/amplifier, due to usb specification limitations. Or?
I wouldn't get all wet over a SHS, sure they're a handy little tool but you'd be far better off battery powering a 4ch X-E and then use its LAN or WiFi for remote usage.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8601 on: July 31, 2019, 09:07:20 am »
Finally decided to enter the 21st century and order a hot air station and stereo microscope.

Quick 861DW from Taobao, approx 320 dollarydoos delivered (and a few bent nozzles about $11 each). Should be more than good enough for my occasional use if the reviews by Louis Rossmann and the Second Best Amp Hour Podcast host is anything to go by.  ^-^

The microscope was a bit more tricky to decide on. I went with an old Meiji EMT microscope (~AUD210), it's basically the model that all the Chinese clones are based off. I wanted to go for a zoom model instead (Meiji EMZ, Nikon SMZ, Olympus VMZ) but the used market kinda sucks here, oh well.

Part of me wishes I shelled out more for a new zoomable microscope from China like an Amscope/Omano but ehhhh I'm a sucker for old quality gear. It's not like I have to rework boards 24/7 so I think I can live with the two 1X and 3X objective levels. The 80mm working distance might be a pain, and I don't reaaally want to spend another $200 on a 0.5X barlow, I'll just deal with it.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8602 on: July 31, 2019, 09:07:26 am »
It has USB to PC not RS232. I only had a few minutes to mess about with the software though and it looks rather basic.

McBryce.

So, to watch on signals remotely ~ 30 m it needs to be used two usb-rs232 converter/amplifier, due to usb specification limitations. Or?
I wouldn't get all wet over a SHS, sure they're a handy little tool but you'd be far better off battery powering a 4ch X-E and then use its LAN or WiFi for remote usage.

Or stick a USB hub in the middle and double the distance.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline CiscERsang

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8603 on: July 31, 2019, 09:08:42 am »

McBryce.

hello tautech, how are you? I'm just considering decent variants of something portable and protected from dust and water splashes . It's going to be hung in el. cabinet or outside at a height ~30-50 m.
And 'glitch hunter' is going to be sat at warm and dry place with a cup of cofee. :)

Or stick a USB hub in the middle and double the distance.

McBryce.

double usb isn't variant, industrial buses is variant.  :-+
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 09:16:30 am by CiscERsang »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8604 on: July 31, 2019, 09:49:08 am »
I like to make boxes that bring the force/sense lines from my power supplies that sit on my shelf down to my bench for easier access.  This is my latest one for an old Keithely 238 SMU.  Normally I just 3D print the front panel since my power tools consist of just a handheld drill, but I decided to try out my new step bits.  I think it came out pretty good, and it is already proving to be very convenient.

That is a nice idea, JxR.
It looks like your step drill bits are a little too large.
Interesting that you have the force terminals to left, somehow I would always put them to the right.

Please show a picture of the inside of your box.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8605 on: July 31, 2019, 10:28:29 am »
hello tautech, how are you?
I'm in good order and spirits, thanks for asking, how are you ?

I'm just considering decent variants of something portable and protected from dust and water splashes . It's going to be hung in el. cabinet or outside at a height ~30-50 m.
Well yes then the SHS is the best for this from our line.
I had an 806 like McBryce for a while but didn't use it hardly at all as the modern DSO is quite portable enough for my needs.

And 'glitch hunter' is going to be sat at warm and dry place with a cup of coffee. :)
:-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #8606 on: July 31, 2019, 12:36:53 pm »

:) 

It's a shame.  I think the unit had a lot of potential, but it really seems that Siglent has let it linger for far too long.  The UI is really just not very good, and the use case described is about the only one that would make getting one worthwhile.  Even the 6000 count DMM portion is rather lackluster.   

There is one saving grace:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:41:33 pm by BillB »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8607 on: July 31, 2019, 12:45:17 pm »
Are there instructions on how to "upgrade" this scope? Do I need to open it up to perform the upgrade?

McBryce.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #8608 on: July 31, 2019, 03:19:02 pm »
I don't believe there are any instructions published.  The pic below is from this thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg5000-shs800-upgrade-search/msg1799360/#msg1799360

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8609 on: August 01, 2019, 06:46:29 am »
I don't believe there are any instructions published.  The pic below is from this thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg5000-shs800-upgrade-search/msg1799360/#msg1799360

The thread only talks about sending SCPI requests to the device and as far as I can see, none of them would change anything, just report the model etc?? I'll contact tv84 for more info.

McBryce.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8610 on: August 01, 2019, 07:14:06 am »

The thread only talks about sending SCPI requests to the device and as far as I can see, none of them would change anything, just report the model etc?? I'll contact tv84 for more info.

McBryce.
Study the pic.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8611 on: August 01, 2019, 08:02:48 am »
Maybe I need another coffee, but I don't see any useful information in the picture?

McBryce.

Offline CiscERsang

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8612 on: August 01, 2019, 08:07:20 am »
Maybe I need another coffee, but I don't see any useful information in the picture?

McBryce.

judging on the pic attached it's upgraded from SHS806 --> SHS815. Didn't it?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 08:14:00 am by CiscERsang »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8613 on: August 01, 2019, 08:30:44 am »

McBryce.

judging on the pic attached it's upgraded from SHS806 --> SHS815. Didn't it?

Yes, but not HOW it's done.

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: Tom45

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8614 on: August 02, 2019, 10:08:27 am »
Just ordered a new Netgear R7800 wifi router to improve wifi coverage to the garage.

https://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImage/33-122-818-07.jpg

If you find it keeps disconnecting itself from the internet for no reason, then let me know... I've fought that battle and (semi) won :)

McBryce.

Out of curiosity, are you using PPPoE authentication on your Netgear?

Yup.

McBryce.

So it arrived a couple of days ago (from Germany, damn DHL is fast!) and it's been completely flawless so far (and a great upgrade over my R7000). I thought I needed to use PPPoE to authenticate, but it turns out NBN use VLAN tagging on FTTC, so your router just runs in straight DHCP mode.

It's so nice to go from 12/1Mbps ADSL2 to 100/40 Mbps FTTC - it feels like I finally joined the 21st freakin century!!!  :scared:

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8615 on: August 02, 2019, 01:30:15 pm »
A couple of days ago I bought myself a new monitor. My old 19" IIyama lcd screen was still working ok but the resolution and size was becoming unbearable.
After using it for a couple of days, the only thing I regret is, why didn't I buy it years before?
I also like very much the possibility to automatically adjust the brightness depending on the ambient light (it has a sensor for that).

https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/designer/bl2420pt.html

(I'm not affiliated with the brand btw)

Offline CiscERsang

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8616 on: August 02, 2019, 01:41:18 pm »

After using it for a couple of days, the only thing I regret is, why didn't I buy it years before?

Same thought was, when I had gotten from employer dock- station and 24'' monitor. Why I didn't ask them earlier about :-//?

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8617 on: August 02, 2019, 03:27:49 pm »
I picked up this little beauty yesterday.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8618 on: August 02, 2019, 04:07:33 pm »

Nice.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #8619 on: August 02, 2019, 07:18:30 pm »
I'm almost certain that there is a forum rule posted somewhere that says all calculator photos must have the calculator display "BOOBIES"...  "DEADBEEF" is also acceptable.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8620 on: August 02, 2019, 07:42:54 pm »
Personally, I think that sort of juvenile stuff doesn’t belong on an HP calculator.  That’s more the domain of things that have an = button.

I’m in the middle of a major hitting and rebuilding of my work area in the basement at home and I bought these recently on sale.  Hopefully with the long weekend, I’ll be able to get them put together and get my benches set up the way I’ve got them envisioned now.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8621 on: August 02, 2019, 10:42:30 pm »

Nice, those chiseled keys are sexy AF!!  :-+

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8622 on: August 03, 2019, 12:20:31 am »
Personally, I think that sort of juvenile stuff doesn’t belong on an HP calculator.  That’s more the domain of things that have an = button.

I’m in the middle of a major hitting and rebuilding of my work area in the basement at home and I bought these recently on sale.  Hopefully with the long weekend, I’ll be able to get them put together and get my benches set up the way I’ve got them envisioned now.
I'm not sure your forum membership is going to work out. ;D

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8623 on: August 03, 2019, 08:37:54 am »
I've got one of those. I bought it new. A long time ago. Best calculator I ever had. Batteries last crazy long time. The last set of batteries were 13 years old and still working good. I got freaked out thinking they might leak, being that old, so I replaced them anyway. The batteries are just 3 little button cells.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8624 on: August 03, 2019, 12:58:32 pm »
Finally, finally, have found my precious  :)

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf