Author Topic: Football  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Inverted18650Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
Football
« on: January 07, 2018, 06:45:26 pm »
#BenchBortles

Make it trend.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: Football
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 07:37:36 pm »
<sigh>

American football - A game similar to Australian Rules Football and Rugby Union, except that they dress up in shoulder pads and helmets and keep on having 'timeouts' because they're sissies.

https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/2884954/m%3D1170_k%3D1_a%3D1/v2?sig=756b83bb100bfe936d8d440ae8ca363ef0f9a8ec0be1b8c2d6f12951816adebd

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ed/c2/20/edc220706c3b6f175428dbdf897c5a50.jpg
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 09:08:52 pm »
<sigh>

American football - A game similar to Australian Rules Football and Rugby Union, except that they dress up in shoulder pads and helmets and keep on having 'timeouts' because they're sissies.
It’s properly called gridiron football, thank you very much!! (And I always hated it, LOL! I went to university in USA, and am proud to have a “UMBC FOOTBALL - UNDEFEATED” t-shirt, which is technically correct — the best kind of correct — because UMBC does not have a football team, and thus has never been defeated. UMBC’s most successful competitive team is... wait for it... its chess team!)

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:19:13 pm »
Are you referring to actual football or handegg?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 11:35:18 pm »
Could we please not repeat the same discussion the internet is having every two days yet again?

Offline Inverted18650Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 11:49:38 pm »
My apologies, not sure why I thought an EE blog with an international user base would be interested in American sports. Silly me. At least no one said “sports are violent and mindless” lol. Though I don’t have any idea what the rest of the internet may be saying, I was watching the game..

Admin please delete this thread.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 02:16:21 am »
A game similar to Australian Rules Football ...

Around here we call that Australian no-Rules Football because, even from the perspective of a ex-Rugger Bugger like me, it looks more like a bar fight than a game with rules.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 04:23:23 am »
So does north american hockey.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 08:51:52 am »

Isn't football, soccer?

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 09:35:44 am »
NeanderBall for the rabble, when in Rome...go to the Colosseum drunk 

jeer and hurl verbal abuse at anything that moves on the distant field, including seagulls and crows and the Ferris Wheel miles away   :rant:

hate the referee or umpire, insult his parents, siblings, and wrongly incinuate his sexual preference just because you can,
and because he's usually a little guy, believe you can 'kick his arse any day of the week'   :rant:

show a fist and display a double helping of The Finger to the people across the stadium, that you've never met.  >:D

and so on and so forth...The Big Day Out that never ends, year in year out, the ultimate GroundHog Day experience   ::)  :=\

Yep, welcome to modern day 'Sports'...   :palm:

Luckily for the minority of human beings left on Earth, Electronics and other worldly thinking activities are still scoring points and kicking real goals   :clap: :clap:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:40:55 am by Electro Detective »

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 11:17:59 am »
My apologies, not sure why I thought an EE blog with an international user base would be interested in American sports. Silly me. At least no one said “sports are violent and mindless” lol. Though I don’t have any idea what the rest of the internet may be saying, I was watching the game..

Admin please delete this thread.
Probably had a few beers too? lol

Isn't football, soccer?
I think the word "football" has been used for many games in the past, but only soccer really caught on worldwide, although rugby (both variants) are quite popular. The US and Australian variants don't seem to be very popular outside of their native ranges.

It does interest me that the US seems to be isolated from the rest of the world, team sports wise. They don't play much soccer, rugby or cricket and their popular sports, such as US football and baseball aren't very popular elsewhere.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 03:37:57 pm »
 Baseball is quite popular outside of the US. Japan, in particular. And in various Caribbean countries (where many of the big time US players come from). The youth level Little League truly does have a "World Series" as there are often non-US teams competing in the final rounds.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 08:18:19 pm »

It does interest me that the US seems to be isolated from the rest of the world, team sports wise. They don't play much soccer, rugby or cricket and their popular sports, such as US football and baseball aren't very popular elsewhere.

Well that's a fairly Anglo-centric view. Cricket and rugby are only popular AFAIK in former British colonies (US excluded).  Not exactly popular world-wide

The truth is that that if you look at youth sports participation in the US - Basketball is number 1 (one of the most popular team sports worldwide) followed by soccer - number 2 and baseball 3.

Baseball is actually very popular across all of the Americas - from Canada through most of South America.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 11:21:42 pm »

Well that's a fairly Anglo-centric view. Cricket and rugby are only popular AFAIK in former British colonies (US excluded).  Not exactly popular world-wide
Point taken. I suppose it's more of a European-centric view, that none of the US sports seem to be very popular in Europe. You're right, cricket is pretty much ex-empire. I don't know about Rugby.

The truth is that that if you look at youth sports participation in the US - Basketball is number 1 (one of the most popular team sports worldwide) followed by soccer - number 2 and baseball 3.

Baseball is actually very popular across all of the Americas - from Canada through most of South America.
It surprises me that soccer is so popular in the US. It seems to be the most popular team sport in the world.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 11:34:19 pm »
They're all Sportsball as far as I'm concerned.

*yawn*

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline sony mavica

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 12:02:28 am »
i never liked American football
MORE POWER!

Offline Seartutynd

• !
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2024, 07:29:32 pm »
For those engrossed in the "After the Fall" universe, I stumbled upon a valuable resource – the official match schedule for the Fortnite World Cup 2024. This comprehensive guide at [link spam removed] provides a detailed breakdown of match timings, participating teams, and anticipated showdowns. It's a goldmine for enthusiasts seeking to stay informed and plan their gaming schedules accordingly. Whether you're a seasoned player or a casual observer, this schedule ensures you won't miss any of the intense action.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 11:21:42 pm by Halcyon »

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2024, 07:33:57 pm »
 :palm:

A newbie to resurrect an ancient thread about sports on an EE site.   :wtf:   :--

:horse: :horse: :horse:

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2024, 07:49:57 pm »
Baseball is quite popular outside of the US
and is more commonly known as rounders

Offline aeberbach

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2024, 09:08:50 pm »
<sigh>
because they're sissies.

No, it's because they stop the game so the TV can show more ads. Not joking.
Software guy studying B.Eng.

Offline hneve

• Regular Contributor
    • http://www.neve.nu/
« Reply #20 on: Today at 12:24:21 am »
Guys, where do you watch your football games? I am a fan of the Kansas City team, and most of the time, I like to watch the games live in the stadium. it's a different sensation. Sometimes, my son comes along, and we spend quality time together. However, this year, I will not be able to watch the games because I have moved to another state because of my work, and I am looking for a broadcasting platform.
73 de LB4NH

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf