Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2777127 times)

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #3625 on: July 26, 2017, 08:44:01 am »
Said to have released the magic smoke. We'll see, going to pick it up in the afternoon.

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Bendba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3626 on: July 26, 2017, 09:23:51 am »

I am EXTREMELY envious. Currently I need to machine an aluminum disk 306mm dia and 45 mm thick, 200mm dia hole in the middle, and some large radial holes through it. My lathe has only about 115mm (4.5") radius throw, so cannot do this piece. Still looking for a solution (other than paying a local fabrication shop to do it.)

I also envy that you have the spare space to set that monster up. Even if I found a big lathe for free, housing it would be near impossible.  Hmm... I suppose another sheet metal 'garden shed' would be required.

How did your move go? (Oh wait, two weeks, not yet huh?)

I didn't get it for free but only paid $500 for it.
I'm building a motorized platform for it out of scrap metal I got.
Two car rear axles, one with a diff, a gearbox and an electric motor so it can drive itself in the truck.

I'll put some photos up.
Stop dreaming your life, start leaving your dreams.

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #3627 on: July 26, 2017, 09:25:59 am »
Said to have released the magic smoke. We'll see, going to pick it up in the afternoon.

Nice score and not to expensive.  :o (assuming its a easy fix...)

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #3628 on: July 26, 2017, 12:08:20 pm »
I didn't get it for free but only paid $500 for it.
I'm building a motorized platform for it out of scrap metal I got.
Two car rear axles, one with a diff, a gearbox and an electric motor so it can drive itself in the truck.
I'll put some photos up.

$500 - yes, I read that. I meant if _I_ found one for free. Which is the kind of thing that does happen.
Can't wait to see your lathe-mobile. You mean _into_ the truck? Pretty solid ramps required. And a winch.

@DTJ

http://www.woodworkforums.com - Ah, that works. Seems like a great forum. Where I'm immediately informed of:
http://metalworkforums.com/   Also good.
And from there found: https://www.machines4u.com.au/search/Lathe/?page=2
Have a look through. There are multiple instances of relatively modern, large CNC lathes listed for $1.
Too bad all the ones I've found so far are way too big and heavy for me. I suppose that's why the token price, among other things.

I doubt it's still possible but you used to be able to attend machining classes at TAFE / Tech College / night school and work on your own projects. I did it 30 years ago but things change......
Yeah, they do. The course fees went stupidly high as of last year (my daughter encountered that.) Would now probably be cheaper to buy one's own good lathe. Plus at my age, don't have the time to spare.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:18:24 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Bendba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3629 on: July 26, 2017, 01:06:14 pm »
Sorry, my misunderstanding.

I actually meant on, not in, the truck. Ramps won't be a problem, I have a pair of tractor ramps able to handle 6 tonnes.
Of course, winch for backup and safety but I'm expecting the electric drivetrain to be sufficient.

Cheap, accessible and decent condition don't often come together for used lathes unfortunately.

Whereabout are you from, if you don't mind me asking.
I'm from Tamworth area, NSW
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:11:30 pm by Bendba »
Stop dreaming your life, start leaving your dreams.

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #3630 on: July 26, 2017, 01:32:16 pm »
Ohh as a rarity I actually spent some money so I can contribute to this thread!

I bought a Fronius IG15 grid tie inverter for my solar project, does it count ?

If you look under Renewables you will find a teardown and bench test :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:37:58 pm by fourtytwo42 »

Offline jimdeane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3631 on: July 26, 2017, 05:46:25 pm »
I bought, and should receive today or tomorrow, a DSO138 oscilloscope kit.

I wanted something I could use as a "second scope" and take to work without feeling like I'm putting something expensive in jeopardy. It will do for showing students capacitor charge/decay, checking low speed logic outputs on equipment, and looking at audio signals.

Online all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3632 on: July 27, 2017, 02:09:48 am »
The AN8008 trigger a spending spree on multimeter for me in a span of 1 week, I loaded up
a AN8008, Fluke 101, VC 17B+ (=AN860B+) and a MS8910A .  Price of their combined total is less than a Dave's meter.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #3633 on: July 27, 2017, 12:21:15 pm »
I got tired of my cheap digital calipers, so I went to the shop and emptied my wallet. Mitutoyo digital calipers. I hope this thing doesn't consume batteries like no tomorrow and doesn't constantly lose it's reference point. To be fair, for a $15 Shenzhen Special it worked quite well for several years.

One weird thing, this Mitutoyo can't measure in freedom units :o What the hell Mitutoyo. For this money you really couldn't put a button on there?

Offline little_grey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3634 on: July 27, 2017, 12:30:09 pm »
aww man, i still cant get on with digital verniers.

on a known test block, i would regularly get a more accurate reading using manual verniers over other apprentices using digital ones.
admittedly, that was apprentices.

When i have had to use them, the  Mitutoyo ones were generally the best. battery wise, i think we got a good couple years out of them used once a week or so

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #3635 on: July 27, 2017, 01:39:09 pm »
aww man, i still cant get on with digital verniers.

on a known test block, i would regularly get a more accurate reading using manual verniers over other apprentices using digital ones.
admittedly, that was apprentices.

When i have had to use them, the  Mitutoyo ones were generally the best. battery wise, i think we got a good couple years out of them used once a week or so

Those manual (without clock) ones are difficult for me to use, my eyes don't cooperate. I basically see those small lines double unless I look at them at a funny angle (astigmatism, but not really enough to make proper glasses).

Many people make the false assumption that a digital readout is dead exact. It's just wrong. I've seen several digital calipers with 0.001mm resolution displays... Just nonsense. I highly doubt the measurement system does better than 0.01mm. At this point you really need a micrometer if you want a digital readout.

Offline bigsky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3636 on: July 27, 2017, 01:55:01 pm »
To be fair, for a $15 Shenzhen Special it worked quite well for several years.
Agreed. I have some el-cheapo chinese digital verniers and I think they're excellent for the money. I'd give them a big :-+

Offline Urs42

• Supporter
« Reply #3637 on: July 27, 2017, 02:04:29 pm »
I got a really old electric bicycle from about 1995. The seller did say that the motor controller is broken, but it does work however the charger does need some work and i will replace the old lights with LEDs.

Offline little_grey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3638 on: July 27, 2017, 02:07:28 pm »
Many people make the false assumption that a digital readout is dead exact. It's just wrong. I've seen several digital calipers with 0.001mm resolution displays... Just nonsense. I highly doubt the measurement system does better than 0.01mm. At this point you really need a micrometer if you want a digital readout.

I think you have hit it in one, just because it is digital doesn't make it more accurate. sure quicker and easier (and better on the eyes)

dare i ask how much the contents of your wallet was when you went into the shop?

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3639 on: July 27, 2017, 02:26:15 pm »
As with any measuring equipment, resolution is not the same as accuracy, and extra resolution without extra accuracy can be useful in some situations.

For me the only advantage of digital readout is easier relative measurements without mental arithmetic (bonus points if you use fractional inches). So I am quite happy with the traditional vernier calipers.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3640 on: July 27, 2017, 02:41:18 pm »
Another thing to be careful of with those cheap digital calipers: Some of them don't turn off completely. Turning them off is only turning off the display, so the batteries die pretty quickly whether you are using it or not. To test this, turn off the calipers and then press the "change units" button. Then turn it back on. If the units have changed, the calipers is only switching off the display. I have two cheap digital calipers with different brand names that do this. A real pain, because you have to remove the batteries when it's not in use.

McBryce.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:43:58 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline japasetelagoas

• Regular Contributor
  • Just an ordinary electronics hobbyist.
« Reply #3641 on: July 27, 2017, 02:59:16 pm »
A rowing machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The endless river...

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #3642 on: July 27, 2017, 03:02:26 pm »
dare i ask how much the contents of your wallet was when you went into the shop?
€130.

If you really want to go crazy, they also sell an IP67 rated model for almost €400.

When buying tools I usually get a cheap one first, just to see how often I use it. When I use it often enough and it breaks I'll get the better ones.

Another thing to be careful of with those cheap digital calipers: Some of them don't turn off completely. Turning them off is only turning off the display, so the batteries die pretty quickly whether you are using it or not. To test this, turn off the calipers and then press the "change units" button. Then turn it back on. If the units have changed, the calipers is only switching off the display. I have two cheap digital calipers with different brand names that do this. A real pain, because you have to remove the batteries when it's not in use.

McBryce.

My cheapie does the same. I pulled the battery out every time, but it wears the battery contacts out. Had to clean and bend them several times, that just gets old after a while. I've seen someone who modded a tiny slide switch in the case, that might be worth a try.

Offline mahi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3643 on: July 27, 2017, 03:19:16 pm »
I got tired of my cheap digital calipers, so I went to the shop and emptied my wallet. Mitutoyo digital calipers. I hope this thing doesn't consume batteries like no tomorrow and doesn't constantly lose it's reference point. To be fair, for a $15 Shenzhen Special it worked quite well for several years.

One weird thing, this Mitutoyo can't measure in freedom units :o What the hell Mitutoyo. For this money you really couldn't put a button on there?

You got the Mitutoyo 500-181-30 which is a fixed metric digital caliper. If you want a similar model that can switch between millimeters and inches you'd need the 500-196-30 which also features a handy thumb roller.

Battery life of these Mitutoyo calipers is great. Expect several years.

Offline deflicted

• Supporter
« Reply #3644 on: July 27, 2017, 05:33:18 pm »
To be fair, for a $15 Shenzhen Special it worked quite well for several years.
Agreed. I have some el-cheapo chinese digital verniers and I think they're excellent for the money. I'd give them a big :-+

I just picked up one of these the other day. It's no Mitutoyo, but it's good enough for the women I go out with. I don't need to measure anything down to the thousandths, so this is fine for my needs. I just got tired of reading my old analog calipers. I especially hated having to use a calculator to convert back to the nearest 1/32" or 1/64". This one has a fraction mode, which is really nice. But yeah, if I ever find myself needing better precision, I'll get a Mitutoyo.

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3645 on: July 27, 2017, 05:53:00 pm »
Husky branded calipers  :o
Husky were better known for rugged computers.

Since I got a Metcal SP200 I have been keeping my eye on ebay for a sleep stand for the iron.
My patience has paid off:

all for £9.50 (including postage)   :D

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:58:22 pm by MosherIV »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #3647 on: July 28, 2017, 02:10:20 am »
just got in this.  non-fixed stereo USB webcam

for a 3D Split Screen PC type video microscope project.  :-\
it turns out that this stereo stereoscopy headed webcam is just two USB webcams with a common USB port.
to mix two webcam images I will need software. that is not provided.  :(  but it is 1280 x 960 High definition x 2 .  :-+

non-fixed must be the video synchronization . not the image senior pcb heads  :palm:
USB webcam is by www.keyetoncctv.com  this link maybe buggy  behind the red curtain
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:25:37 am by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3648 on: July 28, 2017, 11:59:35 am »

Nice score and not to expensive.  :o (assuming its a easy fix...)

Well, it indeed smelled like a campfire when I picked it up. After spending an hour with screwdrivers, eyes and nose I found the culprit hiding behind some screening: the only freaking tantalum in the whole instrument!  :palm:

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3649 on: July 28, 2017, 12:31:22 pm »

This is the case with the European Version of the Mitutoyo calipers. If you want the switchable Mitutoyo, you need to buy the USA version.

My absolute favorite caliper is made by MAHR in Germany
This is the model 16 EWRi
It connects via wireless USB adapter to the PC and adds the measurements nicely to Excel.
The numbers are huge and is very well built.
It is a pleasure to work with this caliper.
And of course, it is switchable in the units.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf