Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2790095 times)

profanum429 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #3750 on: August 09, 2017, 11:42:23 am »
A Fluke 8842a from Hungary? If so, it was the same price before Dave's video.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3751 on: August 09, 2017, 12:04:53 pm »
A Prologix GPIB USB controller, The webpage http://www.ke5fx.com made me go for this particular unit

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #3752 on: August 09, 2017, 01:04:43 pm »
A Fluke 8842a from Hungary? If so, it was the same price before Dave's video.

It was from Germany. But right, with all the extras the price was good and maybe not increased because of the video.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3753 on: August 09, 2017, 05:02:39 pm »
Picked up this Simpson Voltmeter at my local Surplus store.
Gotta love those probes!
Six badly corroded D cell batteries dripped over printed circuit board.

Anyone familiar with this Model Number?
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3754 on: August 09, 2017, 05:37:27 pm »
Inside is clean.
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3755 on: August 09, 2017, 06:16:06 pm »
Simpson 400 insulation tester, too bad you are missing the front:

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: Johnny10

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #3756 on: August 11, 2017, 06:24:40 am »
A bit under 2m of 38mm ID wire-spiral vacuum hose. Au$47, ouch.
Also a KF40 90 deg elbow, stainless steel, from China so much cheaper.
Getting there little by little: http://everist.org/NobLog/20170712_vac_increm.htm
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Bendba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3757 on: August 11, 2017, 07:46:47 am »
Agreed. I gave him the benefit of the doubt on another post. Wasted time.
I'm surprised there is no link to a sale page.
Stop dreaming your life, start leaving your dreams.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3758 on: August 13, 2017, 10:52:40 am »
Not bought today but a couple of months back............. and just got back from 2 days of hard out quad bike riding.
Winter Buster quad bike tour on the military land at the Waiouru military Training area in the middle of NZ's North Island volcanic mountainous central plateau. Stunning scenery.

Highly recommended.
http://www.offlimits.co.nz/

My Chariot  ::)

One of the outstanding views:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:13:33 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3759 on: August 13, 2017, 11:39:08 am »
A bit under 2m of 38mm ID wire-spiral vacuum hose. Au$47, ouch.
Also a KF40 90 deg elbow, stainless steel, from China so much cheaper.
Getting there little by little: http://everist.org/NobLog/20170712_vac_increm.htm

Guy, next time you are going to grip thread in the chuck, grab a trio of thin aluminium strips and make some soft jaws out of them, which grip very well and do not mar the work at all. Sorry, do not have that 40mm vacuum hose, and yes it is bleeding expensive, especially as I had to buy a 30m roll of the 2 sizes I needed, so have been simply replacing the sections as they get dirty instead of cleaning them. If you want to cry order the food safe version of that hose, with the same PVC wall but with stainless steel 308 wire as the reinforcement member. That stuff is expensive, makes Watson Marlow Marprene tubing look cheap by comparison for the same diameter pipe.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3760 on: August 13, 2017, 01:07:10 pm »
I got a "True Position" telecom surplus GPSDO card and (after some initial frustration due to my not realizing how much GPSs have improved in the last ten years, in terms of dealing with non-optimal antenna placements) its working well.

It should provide me with a 10 MHz frequency standard to use in other devices, as well as a high quality 1 pps timing pulse which I can use for a great many timing-related things.

Now I am working on a controller and also need to figure out a good way to make that time and frequency data available to more than one other device without degrading it.

I look forward to having a second NTP server, for example, that uses it's 1pps, to compare to my other server that uses a tiny GPS as its source of timing data.

I can use a slightly modified video distribution amplifier for the 10 MHz - the 1PPS I have to look into, so I can preserve its fast rise time. Its a good way to learn about an interesting area.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:12:24 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #3761 on: August 15, 2017, 01:45:55 pm »
Guy, next time you are going to grip thread in the chuck, grab a trio of thin aluminium strips and make some soft jaws out of them, which grip very well and do not mar the work at all.

Yeah, I know. But I needed make a bunch of those things, and will be needing to make more later. Plus needed to be able to remove from the chuck and put back, still centered. Fiddling with loose soft-jaws didn't appeal, plus crap repeatability. I like my thread-grabber collet thingy better.

Sorry, do not have that 40mm vacuum hose, and yes it is bleeding expensive, especially as I had to buy a 30m roll of the 2 sizes I needed, so have been simply replacing the sections as they get dirty instead of cleaning them. If you want to cry order the food safe version of that hose, with the same PVC wall but with stainless steel 308 wire as the reinforcement member. That stuff is expensive, makes Watson Marlow Marprene tubing look cheap by comparison for the same diameter pipe.
I can live with it. Amusingly it isn't even really 'vacuum hose', just hose that doesn't crush under vacuum. Because it has a smell (PVC smell) which means it outgasses some bunch of complex volatiles. Fortunately where it will be used, this doesn't matter. It's only for the big rapid-roughing pump, and has a bellows valve between the hose and the chamber. That will only open for a few seconds during pump-down, and if I get the timing right the volatiles won't backflow into the chamber.
Bought this because I didn't want to even find out how much 1.5 m of 45mm dia stainless concertina hose would cost. Also it's nice to be able to visually verify the pump oil hasn't sucked back up into the hose due to some goof, like the air inlet valve not opening.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3762 on: August 15, 2017, 06:01:52 pm »
Today I bought an old Sony Video 8 handycam for 10€. Why? just because I had a crave to take apart something.
Always amazed at the tech density in these devices, and still hours of fun ahead
Glad Im still like a child  :)

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #3763 on: August 15, 2017, 06:21:41 pm »
Three 20fA/200V...1A SMUs for 288$.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #3764 on: August 15, 2017, 06:50:10 pm »

I guess that's not Keithleys 2400 or something similar but HP 41420A :)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3765 on: August 15, 2017, 07:04:11 pm »
Today I bought an old Sony Video 8 handycam for 10€. Why? just because I had a crave to take apart something.
Always amazed at the tech density in these devices, and still hours of fun ahead
Glad Im still like a child  :)

Bet most of the small 4v electrolytics on those boards have either leaked or gone almost open circuit though. Sony could never make those capacitors reliable, and they always are a ticking time bomb on Sony equipment.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #3766 on: August 15, 2017, 07:12:11 pm »

I guess that's not Keithleys 2400 or something similar but HP 41420A :)

Mhm... I bought one 41420 year ago, which has self-test error and large offset on both V and I, but works. And by seeing bunch of other 41420As with listed price, couldn't let it pass.
However now I have more modules than slots available in my 4142B. It will be renamed into "unshippables" once all assembled. Even with aluminum chassis/shields it will weight over 40kg. I don't know how I will move once my rent is out  :-//  :scared:
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #3767 on: August 15, 2017, 08:28:07 pm »
Even with aluminum chassis/shields it will weight over 40kg. I don't know how I will move once my rent is out  :-//  :scared:

I know the problem - in the recent months I scored Fluke 5440B (repair in progress, some DIY required), 5200A (seems OK) and Wavetek 4600 (repaired) and combined it is around 65kg. These things are beasts, but it was orders of magnitude cheaper than something like Fluke 5700A. I don't want to buy Fluke 5205A for 1000V AC range, as it is another 55kg, so I'm thinking about using Kepco OPS-2000B, 2000V opamp to do the 10x or 100x gain from 5200A.

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3768 on: August 16, 2017, 09:16:46 am »
Having recently chnaged over to a modern flat screen TV, I found out the sound to be poor compared to my old CRT TV.

So I just bought an old surround amp (Yamaha DSP-AX630SE)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:19:57 am by MosherIV »

Offline peteb2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3769 on: August 16, 2017, 10:28:49 am »
For far too long now i have not had a decent high current, current-limiting selectable,  variable voltage 230V/115V source at my workbench in my workshop. I see more and more sad SMPS that the owner is desperate to have working again and you have gotta be so careful as we all know....

So i started my next project with this monster (for me) isolation transformer; Specs: 7.5A @ 230Vac or 15A @ 115V....

Next item will be the variac. I'll probably build the whole thing open frame but covered with a 1/2" thick panel of clear acrylic just in case... and use four 60W 'vintage' E27 clear glass tungsten filament bulbs as the current limiting devices... so the thing looks like something out of 1930s Hollywood mad scientist's set.

Offline NW27

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3770 on: August 16, 2017, 12:31:08 pm »
BF-2A battery testing fixture. No more sticking batteries into mini vise between two coins to do some load or charge tests :-+ It allows for a true Kelvin connection with proper pogo pins for voltage sensing. Impressive build quality, too.

These look nice for testing of 28650 cells but I suspect will not handle the short circuit current of the cells. Shame :(
There's no photo of you - here you'd just deny it, and they couldn't identify you.
Cool number plate, BTW

I purchased my first DS1054Z oscilloscope today finally from www.rigolonline.co.uk, I'm looking forward to cracking it open tomorrow.   :scared:

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #3771 on: August 16, 2017, 12:34:35 pm »
HP 3326 dual oscillator - 13MHz can be either different phase or frequency.  A mere lightweight at 26kg of vintage iron, well mostly aluminium. Arrived from USA - one cracked foot. Works fine - bit of age softened plastic inside.
I am also a bit of a LED display fan.(The 'cool'  display tech of my youth).
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3772 on: August 16, 2017, 01:11:53 pm »
HP 3326 dual oscillator - 13MHz can be either different phase or frequency.

Are you sure it's not a kit? It immediately reminded me of:

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #3773 on: August 16, 2017, 06:04:36 pm »
HP 3326 dual oscillator - 13MHz can be either different phase or frequency.  A mere lightweight at 26kg of vintage iron, well mostly aluminium. Arrived from USA - one cracked foot. Works fine - bit of age softened plastic inside.
I am also a bit of a LED display fan.(The 'cool'  display tech of my youth).

A thing of beauty!  Sweet!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3774 on: August 16, 2017, 06:20:17 pm »
HP 3326 dual oscillator - 13MHz can be either different phase or frequency.

Are you sure it's not a kit? It immediately reminded me of:

Yay, that brings back memories! Especially the inductor, the clip on heatsink and the Red chicken head knobs... and of course the mustard caps, all Philips of course.
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf