Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1080176 times)

bsudbrink, cdev, Richard Crowley, Octane, julianhigginson and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline jkanint

Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #4950 on: December 06, 2017, 07:50:19 pm »
Galaxy S8+ and TunesBro Android Manager.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:59:11 pm by jkanint »

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #4951 on: December 06, 2017, 08:44:50 pm »
Frank, how is the Bitcoin miner you built in 2014 or so doing?

I lost interest in the project, because it would never generate any substantial money with the high hash rates at the moment. Would be still fun to do it when I have some more time and feel like I want to finish it.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4952 on: December 06, 2017, 11:43:06 pm »
Resistance decade box - bigger than I thought it would be.

Also, I orderd 1 ltr of MG Chemicals Rosin Flux a couple weeks ago, it got delivered somewhere else (not where Amazon said it was) and I claimed against them for the loss and was refunded. A neighbour brought it round today - took her time! Still, can't complain - I guess it was free in the end..

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4953 on: December 06, 2017, 11:54:10 pm »
Decade box looks nice, much more precise than my homemade one, these switches look so much more chunky as well  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4954 on: December 07, 2017, 11:29:11 am »

Also, I orderd 1 ltr of MG Chemicals Rosin Flux a couple weeks ago, it got delivered somewhere else (not where Amazon said it was) and I claimed against them for the loss and was refunded. A neighbour brought it round today - took her time! Still, can't complain - I guess it was free in the end..
I looked at a similar one with different colours, but it went for stupid money.

Since missing out on the previous affordable one, I've been seeing opportunities to use one all over the shop  ::)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4955 on: December 07, 2017, 11:32:32 am »
I just noticed it reads CCCCCCCO. Peculiar  ;D

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4956 on: December 07, 2017, 01:16:32 pm »

I bought the same one a few month ago and was surprised of the good quality of this resistance box.
Once in a while they show up for a good price.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4957 on: December 07, 2017, 09:42:59 pm »
Today I have purchased my second soldering station after reading about others peoples experiences with different brands etc, and it seems that Metcal is one of the ones to get if possible. The price of them makes it a no-nbo for me but apparently there is one that offers 75% of the performance at a fraction of the price that gets favourable responses so here we go, with a UK plug of course.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4958 on: December 07, 2017, 10:15:58 pm »

I bought the same one a few month ago and was surprised of the good quality of this resistance box.
Once in a while they show up for a good price.

I've just been checking this one out and it appears to be accurate across its range. Not sure why there is a 'callibration' sticker on it though - what is there to adjust?

I've seen some stupid prices for these things new - like over £600!

Offline Freelander

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4959 on: December 07, 2017, 11:45:13 pm »
I bought a few things at a large local auction here in the UK and took delivery today. It was an auction for a factory closedown and there were lots of Thurlby PSUs on offer. I got a nearly new PL330D dual programmable supply (32V 3A dual with RS-232 and GPIB) really cheaply, also a Keithley 2000 bench meter and a TTi LD300 load.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/electronic-loads/0535632/

There must have been over a hundred Thurlby PSUs and there were so many they were being sold in lots of 6 or 9 at low prices. But there were a few programmable ones sold separately and I got lucky. I was tempted to buy 20 or 30 more PSUs and sell them on ebay but I don't want the hassle.

So you can expect to see lots and lots of Thurlby dual PSUs appearing on UK ebay in the coming weeks... :)
Hi G0HZU What sort of prices were they going for so we know what to bid the ebay bods ?  :-+

ps, sending your callsign in Morse would be like playing a tune, very musical !, it is like the sound of a marching band ^-^  :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 05:07:25 am by Freelander »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4960 on: December 07, 2017, 11:50:47 pm »
I've just been checking this one out and it appears to be accurate across its range. Not sure why there is a 'callibration' sticker on it though - what is there to adjust?

I've seen some stupid prices for these things new - like over £600!
Calibration is not the same as adjusting! Watch the recent Keysight calibration laboratory videos. Clients will do a lot to avoid adjusting their equipment. Knowing the error and tracking it over time is much more valuable.

The following users thanked this post: ChrisLX200

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4961 on: December 08, 2017, 05:16:43 am »
A £10 ebay score  - this Raytek MX thermometer. Seems to work OK. Looks well made (German manufacture) unlike many others at this price point. No longer made so I don't know what the original selling price was.

Online thm_w

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4962 on: December 08, 2017, 05:36:17 am »
Today I have purchased my second soldering station after reading about others peoples experiences with different brands etc, and it seems that Metcal is one of the ones to get if possible. The price of them makes it a no-no for me but apparently there is one that offers 75% of the performance at a fraction of the price that gets favourable responses so here we go, with a UK plug of course.

https://i.imgur.com/Vh5slez.jpg

I purchased the same unit, its great value for the money.
Although I did change out the handle for a push-in style that brings the tip closer to your fingers (metcal style handle), for precision work.
When you first power it on with the new tip, the temperature readings will go crazy, after some minutes it should settle down.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4963 on: December 08, 2017, 05:42:00 am »
That will be dead handy for tracking hot spots like shorts on PCB's and parts getting excessively hot. I use a cheap Lidl variant for that and its quite effective in that role.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4964 on: December 08, 2017, 06:15:21 am »
Today I have purchased my second soldering station after reading about others peoples experiences with different brands etc, and it seems that Metcal is one of the ones to get if possible. The price of them makes it a no-no for me but apparently there is one that offers 75% of the performance at a fraction of the price that gets favourable responses so here we go, with a UK plug of course.

https://i.imgur.com/Vh5slez.jpg

I purchased the same unit, its great value for the money.
Although I did change out the handle for a push-in style that brings the tip closer to your fingers (metcal style handle), for precision work.
When you first power it on with the new tip, the temperature readings will go crazy, after some minutes it should settle down.
Thats interesting, could you tell me which handle you used for that was there any modifications required to effect the change?

Big question for me now is will it arrive before Christmas??
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:40:46 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4965 on: December 08, 2017, 08:05:27 am »
That will be dead handy for tracking hot spots like shorts on PCB's and parts getting excessively hot. I use a cheap Lidl variant for that and its quite effective in that role.

Looks like Raytek are now part of Fluke (Fluke Process Instruments) and indeed the recommended replacement is now a Fluke branded device. Also, this model is the MX4+ which was top of the range at the time. Going to have some fun playing with it :)

Online cdev

• Super Contributor
  • We're glad you made it, welcome to the future!
« Reply #4966 on: December 08, 2017, 08:25:30 am »
You know what else is good for that? LCD coated plastic sheeting, it can be used as a poor mans thermal imager, it shows exactly where the temperatures are rising. Its very sensitive.

A £10 ebay score  - this Raytek MX thermometer. Seems to work OK. Looks well made (German manufacture) unlike many others at this price point. No longer made so I don't know what the original selling price was.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online thm_w

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4967 on: December 08, 2017, 10:05:17 am »
Thats interesting, could you tell me which handle you used for that was there any modifications required to effect the change?

They shipped mine with epacket (few weeks) so hopefully you will get yours quickly as well.

Handle was recommended in another T12 thread, but did require modifications, as I did not realize that some stations are 4 or 5 pins.
So the following had to be done:
- Buy handle: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Professional-t12-welding-handle-oled-digital-welding-station-modified-handle-FX-9501-handle-silicone-wire-handle/32774926734.html The FM2028 handle should work too but would require replacing the connector on it (probably easier than what I've done).
- Change 4 pin circular connector on station for a 5 pin GX12, re-used existing 4-pin jst connector inside.
- Moved one side of spring connection from earth to gnd inside the handle (for sleep detection).
- Connected the last pin (from the NTC temperature sense in the handle), to the board with a jumper wire. This step isn't necessary.

The handle it comes with should still be a good improvement though.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4968 on: December 08, 2017, 10:10:11 am »

They shipped mine with epacket (few weeks) so hopefully you will get yours quickly as well.

Handle was recommended in another T12 thread, but did require modifications, as I did not realize that some stations are 4 or 5 pins.
So the following had to be done:
- Buy handle: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Professional-t12-welding-handle-oled-digital-welding-station-modified-handle-FX-9501-handle-silicone-wire-handle/32774926734.html The FM2028 handle should work too but would require replacing the connector on it (probably easier than what I've done).
- Change 4 pin circular connector on station for a 5 pin GX12, re-used existing 4-pin jst connector inside.
- Moved one side of spring connection from earth to gnd inside the handle (for sleep detection).
- Connected the last pin (from the NTC temperature sense in the handle), to the board with a jumper wire. This step isn't necessary.

The handle it comes with should still be a good improvement though.
Thanks, you really like the station then, how long have you had this now?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline gamalot

• Frequent Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • GAMALOT
« Reply #4969 on: December 08, 2017, 10:20:55 am »
Nintendo Switch  :-DD

Online thm_w

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4970 on: December 08, 2017, 11:07:03 am »
Thanks, you really like the station then, how long have you had this now?

Just a week so far, I think the handle I got will be the weak point as its plastic, but I'm constantly changing tips.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4971 on: December 08, 2017, 11:53:02 am »
I just bought a Samsung 850 120GB SSD to replace the OS drive in my HP N36L Server (currently a slow mechanical) - this will finally give me the excuse I needed to take the server down and upgrade from Windows Server 2008 R2 to 2012 Essentials (I've had the licence sitting around for to waaay too long!).

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4972 on: December 08, 2017, 12:35:10 pm »

Just purchased the above handle to go with my new Quicke soldering station.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4973 on: December 08, 2017, 04:54:40 pm »

:-+

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4974 on: December 08, 2017, 05:23:03 pm »

Ok I caved and bought the single tip set for $56 plus the 10 tip pack for $30, for $86 delivered it was too cheap to pass up.  ;D I've always wanted a station with the JL02 style tip for drag-soldering SMD chips.

OLED equipped T12-952 with the 9501 handle for $56 AUD .
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf