Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1036676 times)

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #5350 on: January 12, 2018, 10:46:30 am »
I'm not sure what I'll do with it in the long term but I have been using it as a logger via GPIB quite a bit. So I'm probably going to keep it as a spare. It really does need a new display, in the images below the display looks OK but it's a bit dimmer than this in daylight. I just gave it a quick clean for the images below and ran some T Cut over the casing. It had a user name crudely painted on the top cover with a large paintbrush and this fortunately came off easily with the T Cut. All the front buttons had a halo of dirt around them from years of dirty fingers. I'm guessing the person who painted their name on it didn't wash their hands much. it actually looks quite good now and some of the yellow has gone from the bezel since I cleaned it.

Inside it looks brand new with not a spec of dust inside. I checked it for leaky caps on the day I got it home. It looks quite good now but has a few cosmetic issues. It is only a year out of an expensive UKAS calibration and seems to work OK. It's within a couple of LSDs of my K2015 on the voltage ranges but that was just a quick casual check across a few voltages. However this thing is old, it is probably 20 years old. It's also a lot lighter than my K2015 when I pick it up. This was a nice surprise as I don't like the heavy feel of the K2015.

Looking closely, it's still a bit grimy in the image below if you look at some of the buttons as they still have a faint film of dirt on them. But they were absolutely filthy before I cleaned it and it was hard to even read the button logos.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:50:24 am by G0HZU »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5351 on: January 12, 2018, 12:19:48 pm »
That display pretty normal to me, I've certainly seen far worse and I'd be happy with a display like that on my bench. Even LED's are hard to read in daylight if there's a hint of sunlight hitting my bench, its almost goodbye LED's, then the only displays I can ready quickly and easily are the LCD's.

The meter looks pretty clean and presentable as well, good job done with clean by the sounds of it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5352 on: January 12, 2018, 12:20:29 pm »
This unit makes that look brand new...lol. I am going to do a mini-tear down and scrub off the filth as soon as I know it’s wrothwhile...and it’s looking very good. I’ll post another video shortly.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5353 on: January 12, 2018, 12:22:01 pm »
Please do, its always nice to see how things are progressing.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5354 on: January 12, 2018, 01:15:18 pm »
Some shots of both the units I picked up over in the last couple weeks. I lucked out with the latest unit and it seems fine. Time for a teardown, good scrub, new caps and calibration.

edit: its working so I decided to see if i can mess it up! I decided to do a full tear down and cleaning. Ill put the videos up as they progress & try to make 'end-cards' for each new segment.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:13:16 pm by Inverted18650 »

Offline dryjoints

• Regular Contributor
  • Banned!
« Reply #5355 on: January 12, 2018, 01:35:46 pm »

Online gamalot

• Frequent Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • GAMALOT
« Reply #5356 on: January 12, 2018, 04:20:37 pm »
3 rolls of PLA filament  :)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5357 on: January 13, 2018, 03:07:39 am »
Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5358 on: January 13, 2018, 03:48:28 am »
I'm not sure what I'll do with it in the long term but I have been using it as a logger via GPIB quite a bit. So I'm probably going to keep it as a spare. It really does need a new display, in the images below the display looks OK but it's a bit dimmer than this in daylight. I just gave it a quick clean for the images below and ran some T Cut over the casing. It had a user name crudely painted on the top cover with a large paintbrush and this fortunately came off easily with the T Cut. All the front buttons had a halo of dirt around them from years of dirty fingers. I'm guessing the person who painted their name on it didn't wash their hands much. it actually looks quite good now and some of the yellow has gone from the bezel since I cleaned it.

Inside it looks brand new with not a spec of dust inside. I checked it for leaky caps on the day I got it home. It looks quite good now but has a few cosmetic issues. It is only a year out of an expensive UKAS calibration and seems to work OK. It's within a couple of LSDs of my K2015 on the voltage ranges but that was just a quick casual check across a few voltages. However this thing is old, it is probably 20 years old. It's also a lot lighter than my K2015 when I pick it up. This was a nice surprise as I don't like the heavy feel of the K2015.

Looking closely, it's still a bit grimy in the image below if you look at some of the buttons as they still have a faint film of dirt on them. But they were absolutely filthy before I cleaned it and it was hard to even read the button logos.
There are a few threads here with info on cosmetically restoring 2000/2001 meters.
You can disassemble the front panel rather easily. The rubber keypad can be simply washed in soap and water. You can also safely use IPA, I've never damaged the lettering.
The yellowing can be reversed using a technique popularized by guys restoring old computer and game consoles. Google "diy retrobright". All you need is strong hair peroxide (I use a "30 Vol" gel type from a salon supply store) and sunlight. With the right type of peroxide, it can be finished in less than 30 minutes.  Be very careful of the silkscreening on the transparent lens of the display, it is easily damaged. The peroxide/moisture will soften it and it can then rub off easily (until clean and dry again). On most of my Keithleys I found it was easy to remove the lens from the frame to avoid any issue due to the de-yellowing process.
You will also find info in these forums about rejuvenating VFD displays. One technique involves running the filament "hot" briefly to try to remove surface crud which otherwise reduces electron emission. Another involves simply increasing the filament operating current slightly for more emission. Both techniques have some success stories.

The following users thanked this post: G0HZU, bitseeker, gnavigator1007

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5359 on: January 13, 2018, 04:14:05 am »
@macboy, I would have loved to have this info last night. I ended up using the 'brute force method' and wet sanding the surface. Of course this removed the menu options so I'll have to print new labels after refinishing the front bezel, making this a resto-mod. Thank you for the post and I will check the other threads for future restorations.

Online gamalot

• Frequent Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • GAMALOT
« Reply #5360 on: January 13, 2018, 02:51:51 pm »

and here is my first creative work result  :)

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5361 on: January 13, 2018, 03:14:50 pm »

and here is my first creative work result  :)
Holder looks sweet.  :-+
Is next project colour coded caps for the screwdrivers ?

All yellow.  :palm:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5362 on: January 13, 2018, 03:25:35 pm »
Holder looks sweet.  :-+
Is next project colour coded caps for the screwdrivers ?

All yellow.  :palm:
In the case of Wiha, the yellow signifies ESD compliant (non-ESD versions = red caps). For disclosure, most of my screwdrivers are Wiha.

Personally, I think they should have at least printed a driver type symbol on the cap. Other brands do this, so it can't be that hard or expensive to do so.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: tautech, tooki

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #5363 on: January 13, 2018, 05:38:25 pm »
Personally, I think they should have at least printed a driver type symbol on the cap. Other brands do this, so it can't be that hard or expensive to do so.  :-//

I second that.
I have spent thousands on Wiha over the years. Almost all of my screwdrivers are Wiha.
The lack of identification on the top cap is my only complaint.
Time is the overseer of all things.

The following users thanked this post: nanofrog

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5364 on: January 13, 2018, 07:24:00 pm »
Yellow fits all  :)

I have the system 4 esd set and they have coloured coded bits which is only interesting for pozidriv vs phillips.

The following users thanked this post: nanofrog

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5365 on: January 13, 2018, 11:41:33 pm »
Yellow fits all  :)

I have the system 4 esd set and they have coloured coded bits which is only interesting for pozidriv vs phillips.
FWIW, I've the System 4 ESD Drive-Loc kit (I love the ability to set the blade depth  >:D). I also own a System 6 Drive-Loc kit I assembled (predominantly security bits). Aside from the larger bits, the handle I have is a non-ESD compliant version (again, red instead of yellow like the ).

Both of these also use color coded blade tips (downside is the enamel wears off rather quickly IME). It's very handy for Pozidrive v. Philips, as well as narrowing down hex sizes (i.e. SAE v. Metric).

In the end though, I find it's still more trial and error to get the right size.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #5366 on: January 14, 2018, 01:43:23 am »
Spare parts roller kit for my good old Laserjet 4.  :-+
Still going strong except for paper handling at the moment. :palm:
Then onwards for the next 20 years or so. 8) Hopefully
Agilent 34465A, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Voltcraft VC 940 and M-Audio Audiophile 192

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5367 on: January 14, 2018, 01:47:12 am »
Spare parts roller kit for my good old Laserjet 4.  :-+
Still going strong except for paper handling at the moment. :palm:
Then onwards for the next 20 years or so. 8) Hopefully
That is pretty much the only thing that goes bad on these great LaserJets.
They just last forever.

Where did you buy the roller kit?
Was it original HP?

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5368 on: January 14, 2018, 02:08:02 am »
I’m slowly piecing together a complete set of SR1 resistors. Picked up a 1ohm one today for about $40 delivered, let’s see how accurate it is when it arrives

Offline JustSquareEnough

• Supporter
    • David Harms
« Reply #5369 on: January 14, 2018, 03:05:00 am »
I got the Lego Saturn V for Christmas. It was a load of fun putting it together, and it's quite a remarkable model.

This is on my Amazon list as we speak
 Looks like a fun project to do with my daughter who loves both space and Lego.
--David

hobbyist of electronics, woodworking, rocketry and other cool stuff. www.davidharms.me

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #5370 on: January 14, 2018, 05:30:28 am »
Where did you buy the roller kit?
Was it original HP?
Got it from www. fuser-centrum.de :-+
Not original HP. Instead: "Wir verwenden qualitativ hochwertige Ersatzteile von Alternativherstellern"
i.e.  "Hi Q parts from alternative manufacturers" :o
Agilent 34465A, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Voltcraft VC 940 and M-Audio Audiophile 192

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5371 on: January 14, 2018, 05:36:41 am »
Got it from www. fuser-centrum.de :-+
Nice, thanks!
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5372 on: January 14, 2018, 05:42:25 am »
10MHz OCXO I found at a local HAMfest

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #5373 on: January 14, 2018, 06:18:03 am »
Just ordered a Brother HL3140CW colour laser printer (actually LED). I've not owned a laser printer for many years and seem over-run with inkjet printers, but I wanted to try making transparencies for etching my own PCBs.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5374 on: January 14, 2018, 04:03:04 pm »
Just ordered a Brother HL3140CW colour laser printer (actually LED). I've not owned a laser printer for many years and seem over-run with inkjet printers, but I wanted to try making transparencies for etching my own PCBs.
Good choice IMHO.  :-+

Brother laser printers are cheaper to operate IME (I've an MFC-9450CDN), and I've never seen any of their cartridges chipped. ;D So easily refilled, further decreasing operating costs (reset the gear position & install a new plug after filling it).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf