Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754009 times)

SiliconWizard and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #5625 on: February 22, 2018, 11:28:54 pm »
I often visit a metal scrapyard and they get lots of written off electronic goods mostly boring tvs , vcrs , aircos you know it. They take them apart and fill a container with pcbs.
Sometimes you find something exotic, out of the ordinary or just intreaging and can't stop buying it.
This one I will give to a good friend who helps me many times, it cost me a whopping $3  :)

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline chriswebb

• Supporter
« Reply #5626 on: February 23, 2018, 01:01:01 am »
Just picked up 50 Rosenberger 32K243-40ML5 pcb jack SMA RF connectors from fleabay for future RF work that I have planned.
Always learning. The greatest part of life is that there will always be more to learn.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5627 on: February 23, 2018, 01:39:23 am »
My Pomona 122505A/122506A retractable sheath banana plugs arrived today.  I converted 2 pair of the Brymen leads.  Very happy.  They fit the jacks on the HP 3422A meters perfectly.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5628 on: February 23, 2018, 02:36:25 am »
Several vintage HP parts - back eating lentils and beans again  :palm:

You can still afford beans! :-DD

Flying ones, even. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5629 on: February 23, 2018, 06:53:34 am »
My Pomona 122505A/122506A retractable sheath banana plugs arrived today.  I converted 2 pair of the Brymen leads.  Very happy.  They fit the jacks on the HP 3422A meters perfectly.
Now you've gone and done it.   :palm: You're officially an addict now.  :o  :-DD

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #5630 on: February 23, 2018, 10:10:30 am »
'Grosvenor Electronics (UK)' solder. Part of an office clearout, £10 per 0.5kg roll. Gamble as I've never heard of them. Initial impressions are good, gives nice shiny joint.   :)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5631 on: February 23, 2018, 10:14:48 am »
A cable cutter.
Never invested in such a specialized tool but now I have to cut a lot of rather expensive cables I went for it and aaaaaaaah what a joy.

Offline Rémi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5632 on: February 23, 2018, 10:34:36 am »
Attenuators, adaptors, termination and this kind of stuff to use my first spectrum analyzer that will arrive next week.  :-/O

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5633 on: February 23, 2018, 10:44:09 am »
'Grosvenor Electronics (UK)' solder. Part of an office clearout, £10 per 0.5kg roll. Gamble as I've never heard of them. Initial impressions are good, gives nice shiny joint.   :)

I used them about a month or so ago for a Hakko fx-888 from them but through Ebay. It was cheap but they had plenty good feedback so I took the gamble. It's a genuine Hakko and was delivered on time etc so I would say all good. They are a genuine UK Hakko distributer after some fishing around.

I hope you have the same trip with them, I think you'll be good!  :-+

Sorry never read the post properly. Glad it went good for you and the solder seems ok.  :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:46:10 am by Terry01 »
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

The following users thanked this post: IanMacdonald

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #5634 on: February 23, 2018, 11:53:33 am »
A cable cutter.
Never invested in such a specialized tool but now I have to cut a lot of rather expensive cables I went for it and aaaaaaaah what a joy.

Knipex tools are very nice. I have a wire stripper from Knipex: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/wire-strippers/
I know, you can use a side cutter for wire stripping, but with this Knipex tool it is much more fun, faster and cleaner (no indents in the metal core etc.).
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5635 on: February 23, 2018, 03:38:27 pm »
Five special HP 92220R 0.4m right angle GPIB cables:

They will help solving some space-related problems of my Test Equipment Stack (TES).   :)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5636 on: February 23, 2018, 04:34:27 pm »
An FY6600 Signal Generator

I got fed up trying to use a £3.99 Chinese sig gen kit and my PC audio to test op amps.

Figured a dual channel sig gen would be a wise idea.

I assume there aren't any major "gotcha's" with this unit?

Also this week I bought an 858D clone hot air gun.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5637 on: February 23, 2018, 04:53:35 pm »
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:27:58 pm by bsudbrink »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5638 on: February 23, 2018, 05:00:39 pm »
Now you've gone and done it.   :palm: You're officially an addict now.  :o  :-DD

Who, ME? Nah. >:D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline chriswebb

• Supporter
« Reply #5639 on: February 23, 2018, 05:22:46 pm »
Attenuators, adaptors, termination and this kind of stuff to use my first spectrum analyzer that will arrive next week.  :-/O

Might want to pick up or make a DC-Block as well if you don't have one already. Some spectrum analyzers really don't like dc.
Always learning. The greatest part of life is that there will always be more to learn.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #5640 on: February 23, 2018, 07:30:46 pm »
I'm installing an IEC 320 power inlet connector in place of a formerly fixed AC mains cable on a piece of gear, and since my 30+ year old POS Rat Shack nibbler is nowhere to be found I decided to bite the bullet and buy some real nibblers.  Brown Santa just dropped these two off, courtesy of Amazon:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5641 on: February 23, 2018, 07:38:39 pm »
12 pack of lithium AA's   :)
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5642 on: February 24, 2018, 03:10:31 am »
Which brand? I'm currently getting some Energizer Lithium AA and AAA 4 packs.
Finally removing all Alkaline batteries from the house and it's either Lithium or Eneloops. (or 18650s for my E-Bike but that's a different story  :D )

An Alkaline Duracell attacked a quite expensive remote control and that was the last straw.  :rant:
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #5643 on: February 24, 2018, 04:09:57 am »
Which brand? I'm currently getting some Energizer Lithium AA and AAA 4 packs.
Finally removing all Alkaline batteries from the house and it's either Lithium or Eneloops. (or 18650s for my E-Bike but that's a different story  :D )

An Alkaline Duracell attacked a quite expensive remote control and that was the last straw.  :rant:

I've found the same thing, Duracell batteries are completely untrustworthy now, especially in low power draw devices.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #5644 on: February 24, 2018, 04:52:05 am »
Duracell has definitely become crap in recent years.  I don't trust them at all any more - have seen too many leak before their time.

-Pat

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5645 on: February 24, 2018, 06:01:42 am »
An FY6600 Signal Generator

I got fed up trying to use a £3.99 Chinese sig gen kit and my PC audio to test op amps.

Figured a dual channel sig gen would be a wise idea.

I assume there aren't any major "gotcha's" with this unit?

Also this week I bought an 858D clone hot air gun.

"What could possibly go wrong?"  :palm: Hope yours goes well for you. Touch wood mine is in the good pile....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline hussamaldean

• Supporter
« Reply #5646 on: February 24, 2018, 08:57:39 am »
I bought Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope and hacked it to 100MHz and other stuff ;)

I still need to hack mine, but truth be told, I havent used it much and the free trial period hasnt run out. Ive been using my analog Tek gear most the time..

Did you find any issues while installing the new firmware? Did you follow a YT tutorial or just know how to do it without the help?
I didn't face any problem and I didn't update the firmware at all

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #5647 on: February 24, 2018, 10:30:36 am »
Duracell has definitely become crap in recent years.  I don't trust them at all any more - have seen too many leak before their time.

-Pat
we have bought many computer batteries at duracell (direct) in europe.
definitely far far better than the crap you can get from the far east ...

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5648 on: February 24, 2018, 01:06:32 pm »
I'm installing an IEC 320 power inlet connector in place of a formerly fixed AC mains cable on a piece of gear, and since my 30+ year old POS Rat Shack nibbler is nowhere to be found I decided to bite the bullet and buy some real nibblers.  Brown Santa just dropped these two off, courtesy of Amazon:

-Pat
I still have the radio shack nibblers I got almost 30 years ago as a kid. How are your new nibblers different/better?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #5649 on: February 24, 2018, 04:00:13 pm »

-Pat
I still have the radio shack nibblers I got almost 30 years ago as a kid. How are your new nibblers different/better?

I haven't used the Knipex ones yet, but had used the Adel type at my old job.  The Rat Shack ones I have are this style:

And I was never crazy about the ergonomics of them.  The way the handles curve makes your grip more inclined to slide towards the narrow part where you have less leverage to squeeze them closed, making it more difficult and uncomfortable to use them.  And the orientation means that if you hold them cutter up so you can see what you're cutting, the widest part of the handles (where you have most mechanical advantage) is at your smallest, weakest finger, and the strongest part of your hand is where it does the least good leverage-wise. 

The Adels are the opposite - the part you squeeze falls naturally between the web of your thumb and your index finger - the strongest part of your grip.  A slight downside to them is that they have a little spring loaded clamping cap on the cutter that helps to hold the material being cut against the anvil, and this requires a slightly larger hole to start the cut, but unless you're trying to make a really tiny opening, this isn't an issue.

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: tooki, 3db

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf