Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2777366 times)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #5900 on: March 20, 2018, 09:36:05 am »
I used something like those in the old days to open up the holes on the pcbs.
First cut off the component, heat the left wire, pull wires out.
Now a lot of those holes would still be closed with tin.
You heat the pad with the tin and insert the appropriate size pin, let cool down, pull out pin and done.

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5901 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:24 am »

The following users thanked this post: Jeroen3, djos

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #5902 on: March 20, 2018, 10:12:11 am »
I have a license of Second Copy. It is a convenient and configurable package that automates regular file copies, even performs data verification. However, I use it for my Outlook mailbox + working files and, if it finds a locked or temporary file, it spins forever chasing its own tail and requiring a terminate via Task Manager. This happens even if the option to "attempt to copy files in use" is disabled. I still use it but it clearly requires some babysitting.

I use Veeam Agent for Windows. It is free, mature and very stable. (and won't trip over an in-use file because it uses volume shadow copy)
https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html
Single file restore through to full bare metal restore.

At work, we have been using its big brother Veeam Backup and Replication.
We have been using it for 6 years - Backup, replication and restore testing - flawless, it has never let us down.
The Veeam Agent uses the same underlying technology.

I am not associated with Veeam, just a very happy user.
Thanks for the tip; I will give it a try.

Perhaps I should have prefaced my post with the fact I am using Windows 10 Pro with Second Copy, which may well be the source of its problems.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #5903 on: March 20, 2018, 10:18:00 am »
Unsoldering tubes, remembering the old times when using syringe needles.
Aha. Desoldering needles. Googling for unsoldering tubes does not provide EE soldering, but plumbing soldering.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5904 on: March 20, 2018, 10:19:12 am »
I have a license of Second Copy. It is a convenient and configurable package that automates regular file copies, even performs data verification. However, I use it for my Outlook mailbox + working files and, if it finds a locked or temporary file, it spins forever chasing its own tail and requiring a terminate via Task Manager. This happens even if the option to "attempt to copy files in use" is disabled. I still use it but it clearly requires some babysitting.

I use Veeam Agent for Windows. It is free, mature and very stable. (and won't trip over an in-use file because it uses volume shadow copy)

We have been using it for 6 years - Backup, replication and restore testing - flawless, it has never let us down.

Perhaps I should have prefaced my post with the fact I am using Windows 10 Pro with Second Copy, which may well be the source of its problems.
Is it free?
The site refers to a 30day free trail period?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5905 on: March 20, 2018, 10:28:17 am »
Unsoldering tubes, remembering the old times when using syringe needles.
Aha. Desoldering needles. Googling for unsoldering tubes does not provide EE soldering, but plumbing soldering.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/8PCS-Lots-Hollow-needles-desoldering-tool-electronic-components-Stainless-steel/232656221250

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #5906 on: March 20, 2018, 10:32:14 am »

Is it free?
No, it is not. My dad and I had previous good experiences with it and I got a license a while ago.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5907 on: March 20, 2018, 10:54:38 am »
In the post today I received a Makita DHP 481Z brushless. Body only was around £135 delivered.
I'm wondering if it's even worth folk putting their old drills in for service and if I should fix up my BDF451 and BHP451 as loaners / hackspace drills.

When I've done the urgent jobs I bought it for - like fixing the shed roof that blew off - I'd sure like to get scope probes on it to see the comms between the battery and drill.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:58:07 am by FrankE »

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #5908 on: March 20, 2018, 11:13:08 am »
I have been Bunnings last Sunday.  :)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5909 on: March 20, 2018, 06:26:53 pm »
You remove the main volume of solder from the joint using your preferred method, then you heat the joint again and push the metal tube of the tool over the pin, seperating the pin from the copper trace in the hole. It doesn't do the entire de-solder, it's just a method to free the component pin inside the hole.

Yep. They're also handy for clearing stubborn plated through holes such as those on large traces in power supplies with tons of solder on them. Just push the solder out of the way instead of wasting lots of wick.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #5910 on: March 20, 2018, 06:52:44 pm »
Is it free?

Veeam Agent for Windows is free.
SecondCopy is not.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5911 on: March 20, 2018, 07:28:01 pm »
Is it free?

SecondCopy is not.
+If its free, why then do I need to register in order to download it and there is 100% defo a 30 day free trail, why would they refer to it thus if it was free? Something not adding up here me thinks.

Not installed it yet as I'm still having problems rebuilding the NAS from the other drives.  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline hscade

• Contributor
« Reply #5912 on: March 20, 2018, 07:31:55 pm »
Is it free?

SecondCopy is not.
https://blog.bacula.org/ free for all. Recovery procedure could be easier, but we are happy with it.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #5913 on: March 20, 2018, 07:55:30 pm »
+If its free, why then do I need to register in order to download it and there is 100% defo a 30 day free trail, why would they refer to it thus if it was free? Something not adding up here me thinks.

I cannot see where you are referring to a 30 day trial.
Their cloud repository support comes with a 30 day trial, but you don't need that if you are backing up to local NAS or removable drive.
The registration is not an issue, just use a disposable email address.
I registered using my real email address and they only send me marketing hype a couple of times a year at most.
Entirely up to you.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5914 on: March 20, 2018, 08:08:05 pm »
You remove the main volume of solder from the joint using your preferred method, then you heat the joint again and push the metal tube of the tool over the pin, seperating the pin from the copper trace in the hole. It doesn't do the entire de-solder, it's just a method to free the component pin inside the hole.

Removing the pin often isn't the hard part.  Getting rid of the solder plug in the hole is.  I used to use a dupont breadboard wire, heat the pad, push it through.  That was until I lifted pad off a board.  Got away with it as I could use another pin for the job, but... I have now moved to the heavy guns and a 1mm drill bit!  Not sure which is worse.

I might try these solder tube needles things to see if it helps.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5915 on: March 20, 2018, 08:14:15 pm »

Removing the pin often isn't the hard part.  Getting rid of the solder plug in the hole is.  I used to use a dupont breadboard wire, heat the pad, push it through.  That was until I lifted pad off a board.  Got away with it as I could use another pin for the job, but... I have now moved to the heavy guns and a 1mm drill bit!  Not sure which is worse.

I might try these solder tube needles things to see if it helps.
I just use a powered desoldering station that sucks away the solder, so far not had any issues at all with that.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5916 on: March 20, 2018, 09:05:23 pm »

I cannot see where you are referring to a 30 day trial.
Their cloud repository support comes with a 30 day trial, but you don't need that if you are backing up to local NAS or removable drive.
The registration is not an issue, just use a disposable email address.
I registered using my real email address and they only send me marketing hype a couple of times a year at most.
Entirely up to you.
Well I have to admit that I have not yet installed it or even read up about it, still trying to rebuilt the new drive in my NAS from the remaining 3 drives which does not seem to be going to well so I might just wipe the lot and start again.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Tom10000

• Contributor
« Reply #5917 on: March 22, 2018, 04:13:18 am »
I just purchased this for a nixie tube clock project

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5918 on: March 22, 2018, 04:59:47 am »
Brought the bits to make UV developed boards for those times I need it yesterday :o Only so much can be done with protoboard or waiting for o/seas boards.

The last scratch made PCB's I made were with dalo pens or dry transfer :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Rolo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5919 on: March 22, 2018, 05:30:33 pm »
Two probes, ESD mat with leads and wristband.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5920 on: March 22, 2018, 08:33:45 pm »
Not today, but Monday.  8 GB of memory for my Dell Precision T5500 that I am building up.  That will give 16 GB for a cheap as chips build and is enough for me.  The memory should be here tomorrow.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Tedro

• Supporter
« Reply #5921 on: March 22, 2018, 08:51:50 pm »

Side note: Make sure to send Dave a couple extra wristband's for the mailbag... because you know how he loves them.

Fake edit: that is all

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5922 on: March 23, 2018, 01:04:27 am »

Side note: Make sure to send Dave a couple extra wristband's for the mailbag... because you know how he loves them.

Fake edit: that is all

Only the wireless ones.  ;D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #5923 on: March 23, 2018, 06:28:25 am »
Some concentrated sproing.

Thanks to don.r, for shipping me these very deadly and US-government restricted (not!) lengths of 0.002", blue tempered spring steel. That McMaster Carr had refused to ship overseas.
So now finally I can attempt cutting some for replacing lost old-style HP button springs. I did end up with enough original HP springs, thanks to some kind donations. But there's still the mystery of how to actually make those things, for future HP gear missing the button springs.

Once again, if anyone knows what the spring material actually used by HP was, please share. It was 0.002" thick, felt about as springy as this, did not deform when bent, but was silver-shiny color. It didn't rust. and I have a feeling this stuff will, but that remains to be seen.

Second picture is not something I bought, but rather a paper-wasps nest that bought it. Bug sprayed at night, after I had three stings over the last couple of weeks from these guys. You just walk anywhere within a few meters of their nest, and they attack. Will follow you quite a distance. There were maybe 50 wasps sleeping on the nest, but most of them fell in long grass.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #5924 on: March 23, 2018, 07:34:05 am »
Yet another fan.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf