Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2791257 times)

RAPo and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline djos

• Supporter
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6375 on: May 19, 2018, 07:59:35 am »
I forgot to add this photo of my TI-68 to my earlier post. The digits all work fine but there's a strange brownish discoloration across the bottom of the display. Whatever it is must be in or behind the clear plastic because it won't clean off.

Based on the surface bubbling, Looks like the original thin plastic film is still on the display and needs to be removed.

Edit, mine has a very faint brown tint too but none of the bubbling yours has.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6376 on: May 19, 2018, 03:17:02 pm »
Yeah, it does look that way in the photo, but it's just dirt and grime accumulated in the corners. I checked carefully. I started to take it apart for more cleaning then changed my mind. I got all the screws out (apparently mine is the "rare" first version, later ones had no screws) and popped open the two bottom tabs and it still didn't want to come apart. So I just stopped before I caused any damage. It's been in storage for nearly 10 years so I obviously don't need it to look nice. That it still works is good enough.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6377 on: May 19, 2018, 06:25:30 pm »
Yeah, it does look that way in the photo, but it's just dirt and grime accumulated in the corners. I checked carefully. I started to take it apart for more cleaning then changed my mind. I got all the screws out (apparently mine is the "rare" first version, later ones had no screws) and popped open the two bottom tabs and it still didn't want to come apart. So I just stopped before I caused any damage. It's been in storage for nearly 10 years so I obviously don't need it to look nice. That it still works is good enough.
I was in the same boat: on the upper side above the display, the case just didn't want to come apart and it was a actually more of a pain in the you-know-what than with the later snap-fit case.
At some point I just didn't care and pushed a little further and it just snapped apart without any damage. Did I mention all the keys fell out while I fiddled with that case construction?
Again, in the snap-fit design of the later versions, the keys can't fall out since the PCB is held by heat-stamped pins - which of course that means that cleaning the keyboard isn't easily possible.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #6378 on: May 20, 2018, 08:44:57 pm »
In a mad moment, bought an RC drone  ;D  I've been thinking about it for a year or so, watching them develop technically into the amazingly sophisticated machines they now are. There are many scenic places within 50 miles of where I live (edge of the Peak District National Park is only a few miles away) so many opportunities - if the weather co-operates of course.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6379 on: May 20, 2018, 08:56:35 pm »
Bought two isolation transformers. The small one can select 115/230V independently for input and output.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6380 on: May 20, 2018, 11:20:47 pm »
oooh! I need an isolation transformer for my soon to come LISN.
how much did these ones cost?

I was looking at local prices, and it seems, watt for watt, it's actually cheaper to buy two 240/110 step down units and put them back to back than buy one proper 240V isolation transformer....

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6381 on: May 21, 2018, 06:24:04 am »
how much did these ones cost?
300W unit was about 100 euros.
1000W unit was about 200 euros.
Both transformers are medical grade with shielding between primary and secondary. Also very low leakage from primary to secondary. Heavy stuff. The big one is 20kg so shipping was not so cheap.

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6382 on: May 21, 2018, 09:21:40 pm »
I get so angry at stupid sellers on ebay. Last weekend I buy a couple of memory modules to upgrade this old computer. Paid on Sunday, it was supposed to mail out the next day and should have arrived on Thursday.

They didn't mail the package until Thursday.

It showed up today. Two bare sticks of RAM wrapped in a layer of paper stuck to a piece of cardboard with two inch wide cellophane tape mailed in an envelope lined with plastic bubbles. So much for antistatic packaging.  |O

They were cheap though, so I guess I'll keep them and see if they work.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6383 on: May 21, 2018, 11:16:09 pm »
A friend bought a i7 processor (or similar, can’t remember which one) from someone on eBay. It was in a ziplock bag inside an envelope.

When it went through the automated sorting system at the post distribution Centre it made lots of dents in the bag and envelope. They contacted the seller who thought he had done nothing wrong packaging it that way...

They had lots of motherboards, processors and other computer parts for sale and the description sounded like someone with a clue wrote it, so it’s not some Neanderthal ripping computers apart.

Offline scuzzyTerminator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6384 on: May 22, 2018, 12:43:57 am »
Be careful. I had two nice step-down transformers with my cash out (US$15 each) at the register recently but was  reminded that they might be auto-transformers. A quick meter check saved me some bucks.

From other's experiences I suspect that most transformers marketed specifically for mains conversion are auto-transformers to reduce cost. Anyone know?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:47:57 am by scuzzyTerminator »

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6385 on: May 22, 2018, 02:10:55 am »
A friend bought a i7 processor (or similar, can’t remember which one) from someone on eBay. It was in a ziplock bag inside an envelope.

When it went through the automated sorting system at the post distribution Centre it made lots of dents in the bag and envelope. They contacted the seller who thought he had done nothing wrong packaging it that way...

They had lots of motherboards, processors and other computer parts for sale and the description sounded like someone with a clue wrote it, so it’s not some Neanderthal ripping computers apart.

Wow, the AP letter sortation machines move at insane speeds, and if you put something like a usb stick in a normal envelope it will literally rip it out of the envelope and shred it! if you want to send small items as a letter, it needs to go into something like a PM0 or PB1 bag which wont be destroyed by the sortation machines.

It's a miracle you got it!

Offline KrudyZ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6386 on: May 22, 2018, 02:46:16 am »
I got an Ascor Series 8000 Coax switch unit.
It responds to *IDN? and *ESR? queries over GPIB, but I can't make it do anything else.
I found a manual, but none of the commands described in it work. :(
Does anyone have more info on these?

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
Re: Samsung NVME M2 SSD PM961
« Reply #6387 on: May 22, 2018, 09:31:57 am »
1st M.2 NVME drive, all this time always SSD type, Samsung PM961, and the right tool to install.  :-DD

I got my first M.2v2 NVME drive a few weeks back. 3000Mb/s theoretical read speed.  Windows 10 gets from when BIOS hands over until the unlock screen in about 3.5 seconds and fast boot is disabled because I dual boot.

The only thing that is slightly concerning is how hot they run.  Regularly mine claims 48*C and peaks at 55*C.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6388 on: May 22, 2018, 09:45:45 am »
It responds to *IDN? and *ESR? queries over GPIB, but I can't make it do anything else.
Sometimes you need to set the device up for remote commands or just set it up. Many modern devices are very lenient, but older units can be more finicky about what they expect in what order.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #6389 on: May 22, 2018, 10:45:39 am »
Some nice Nichicons to replace some old and b**g**d spragues in a Tek 7903.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #6390 on: May 22, 2018, 12:00:08 pm »
Air compressor.
50L, 10 bar, 220L per minutes, took care of removing the breadcrumbs in the rear car seats in a most satisfying way
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #6391 on: May 22, 2018, 12:02:33 pm »
Harmonica, glue sticks and Fluke 2AC Non Contact Voltage Detector.  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:09:29 pm by gamalot »

Offline JaspaJami

• Contributor
    • Susijarvi
« Reply #6392 on: May 22, 2018, 12:07:31 pm »
CANbus Analyzer: http://fi.farnell.com/microchip/apgdt002/can-bus-analyzer-tool-can-2-0b/dp/1800556

CANbus transceivers: SN65HVD230

Espressif ESP32 development boards ESP32-DevkitC

Espressif ESP32 development board ESP-WROVER-KIT

UNI-T UT81B handheld oscilloscope

Siglent SDS1104X-E oscilloscope https://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Siglent-SDS1104X-E.html

7.0" 40-pin TFT Displays https://www.adafruit.com/product/2353

RA8875 display driver boards: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1590

Offline KrudyZ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6393 on: May 22, 2018, 11:07:16 pm »

I got my answer from Astronics, (they bought the Ascor line from Gigatronics) with the following information for my apparently older version of this series.
The interface is VERY easy. The GPIB commands simply set some parallel port bits for the relay drivers.
I'll copy it here in case someone else needs this info:

SWITCHES     POSITIONS          SCPI COMMANDS
=========================================================================
             ALL OPEN           SOURCE:DATA:PORT1  0
             POSITION     1     SOURCE:DATA:PORT1  1
S1           POSITION     2     SOURCE:DATA:PORT1  2
             POSITION     3     SOURCE:DATA:PORT1  3
             POSITION     4     SOURCE:DATA:PORT1  4

S2           N/C  (LEFT-CENTER) SOURCE:DATA:PORT4  0
             N/O  (RIGHT-CENTER)SOURCE:DATA:PORT4  1

S4           N/C  (LEFT-CENTER) SOURCE:DATA:PORT4  0
             N/O  (RIGHT-CENTER)SOURCE:DATA:PORT4  2

S5           N/C  (LEFT-CENTER) SOURCE:DATA:PORT4  0
             N/O  (RIGHT-CENTER)SOURCE:DATA:PORT4  4

S7           N/C  (LEFT-CENTER) SOURCE:DATA:PORT4  0
             N/O  (RIGHT-CENTER)SOURCE:DATA:PORT4  8

ALL OPEN           SOURCE:DATA:PORT1  0
             POSITION     1     SOURCE:DATA:PORT1  16
S8           POSITION     2     SOURCE:DATA:PORT1  32
             POSITION     3     SOURCE:DATA:PORT1  48
             POSITION     4     SOURCE:DATA:PORT1  64

Programming Notes:
------------------

A care has to be taken when a switch is connected or disconnected
that shares a port number with another switch.  When switches share
a port, programming one switch to connect or disconnect may also
disconnect the other switch or switches on the same port.

For instance, if you have a switch attached to J4 is in Pos 1 and want
to also close a switch attached to J3 to Pos 2, you will issue the
following SCPI command:
SOURCE:DATA:PORT1 33

32 for J3 Pos 2 on port 1
   +  1 for J4 Pos 1 on port 1
   ----
     33 program value

Similarly if you want to just open J3 Pos 2 but keep the connection
to J4 Pos 1, issue the following SCPI command:
SOURCE:DATA:PORT1 1

0 for J3 All Open
   +  1 for J4 Pos 1 on port 1
   ----
      1 program value

Not all switch positions are available for a particular switch.
For 1x4 switches use positions 1 through 4 only.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6394 on: May 23, 2018, 05:32:57 am »
Not so much purchased but found one crusty bent and mangled CD4017 in a box of salvaged Caps with a 1980 date code and a 'modern' 1988 555 Timer :o

For old times sake it needs to be done  8)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6395 on: May 23, 2018, 05:36:11 am »
A few weeks ago I bought a couple of monitor mounts. One for the desk, one for the wall. I haven't opened the wall mount yet, but tonight I set up the desk mount. This one, assuming it holds up (and I can't imagine how it could break), I can recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Single-Monitor-Adjustable-Capacity/dp/B018MT6ZEK/

I didn't use the entire clamp mount, only the upper part of the bracket part, which I bolted to the side of the desk through some drilled holes, but that clamp assembly is made from steel that's over 4mm thick. The only plastic I found was some bushings (I think they're plastic), wiring clips, and a few decorative parts. The design is well thought out and everything you need is included. They even include clips for storing the hex tools provided to assemble and adjust it. It's very, very solid and well worth the price, I think. The only adjustment of any difficulty is rotation, but the monitor bracket slides on and off easily, so it shouldn't be too bad if it ever needs to be changed.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #6396 on: May 23, 2018, 06:09:38 am »
an old fluke nettool device ... these are from 2000-2001 and around.
nice for checking cable length, and cable wiring.
they seems to check also some basic features of the network (dhcp, protocols, ) but it seems mine is very weak at this.
it is only made for 10/100bT networks, but I thought it could still work on gigabit switches.

if anyone has this device, can you please test your's on a gigabit switch to see if it detects something or not ?
the auto sensing of cables on modern switches must be mistaking the device. I would like to know. TIA.

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
LPC662
« Reply #6397 on: May 23, 2018, 08:35:47 am »
A gift from a generous friend from this forum.

10 pieces of SO sized low power, high impedance input dual op-amps, with input bias max @4 pico Amp and input resistance > 1 T Ohm, I'm aware there are better ones, but this is already very good for my need.  :-+

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6398 on: May 23, 2018, 05:43:26 pm »
I got some of this delivered today.
I've tried a few of the colours and it seems like it's all good wire, especially for the price of it! I use it for breadboards and it is much better than the pre-cut "jumper wires" I've gotten from elsewhere! The other stuff is more PVC wire coating than "wire", a couple of strands at most! This stuff is much better and a decent single strand! I would highly recommend it for anyone who does a lot of bread-boarding stuff!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mixed-Equipment-Wire-SOLID-Single-Core-Electronic-0-6mm-CUT-LENGTH/361575530285?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6399 on: May 23, 2018, 10:45:53 pm »
Haven't actually bought one of these, but I would if someone can think of a good reason to.  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf