Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2787611 times)

Offline djos

• Supporter
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6425 on: May 26, 2018, 08:35:40 am »
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0XK-000W-00080

Everytime I hear about one of these router vulnerabilities it makes me very glad I run custom FW on my Netgear R7000!
Don't think that magically solves the problem.
[/quote]

I'm running the very excellent and well maintained open source Xwrt-Vortex firmware, and yes it does make a difference.

http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/about.htm

Xwrt-Vortex

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6426 on: May 26, 2018, 08:37:29 am »
The R7000 is one of the specifically targeted devices listed in the Symantec advisory. Even with the different firmware I would at least reset and reboot the router and turn off any remote management as Netgear recommended.

The firmware I'm using is actually based on Asus firmware so it's radically different to the rubbish firmware netgear provide.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6427 on: May 26, 2018, 08:44:10 am »
... now what am I going to do with them!

Damn auction sites and people not outbidding my lowballs when I really shouldn't be buying junk.

You're not alone.  :-DD

Maybe creation of a new thread called ECJA ? Electronics Component Junkies Anonymous ?  >:D

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #6428 on: May 28, 2018, 01:53:11 am »
Over 300 full and partial reels of resistors, 1206, 0805 and 0603.  Ugh.  It must have seemed like a good idea at the time, but... now what am I going to do with them!

Damn auction sites and people not outbidding my lowballs when I really shouldn't be buying junk.

Ow, that's painful. A lot of storage space you just killed, a majority of missing values, and three different sizes so it doesn't help you standardize on one size in projects. Plus some values have multiple reels.
Still, it's better than my couple of big boxes of mini-MELF resistors in reels, mostly non-standard values.
Now you'll wonder if you should buy more reels, to fill in the missing table cells.

Maybe you could just de-reel all of them into one tub, and use the resulting 'sand' as cat litter? Or practical joke props. What's it like to discover your bed is full of surface mount resistors?
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #6429 on: May 29, 2018, 05:36:33 am »
Hioki 3333 single phase power meter. I realized that it was small, but I didn't expect it to be so small.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6430 on: May 29, 2018, 08:30:25 am »
Hioki 3333 single phase power meter. I realized that it was small, but I didn't expect it to be so small.  :-DD

Damn, I'm sooo jealous, I hate you.  :-DD

Nice score  :-+, have been lurking and stalking this particular thing that with the right price for quite long time, but still no luck.  :'(

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #6431 on: May 29, 2018, 08:02:02 pm »
12 sticks of 16GB RDIMMs for a total of 192GB of memory for a dual westmere system I'm building.
memtesting large amounts of memory takes forever.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6432 on: May 30, 2018, 12:48:46 am »
Free Energy harvesting device :palm:

Runs on just air and water. Just take your water pass it through the magic 3.5kW 19L boiler and presto 'free energy'  ::)

https://youtu.be/sV6oiuq3xKo
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6433 on: May 30, 2018, 06:43:21 am »
Got some golden fork-spades for my soon to be test leads for solartron, some strange conjoined banana plugs and sockets, some Schrumpfschlauch (try to say this quickly 3 times as a non German   >:D ), a thingie to form the leaded components leads for placing them on the PCB, some parts to restore my Datron, including a very cheap calibration key with two keys (who wants some keys let me knoe), and more teflon coated wire that I'll ever need, in a bitter fight on the one and only active German seller of this stuff, if I bid against you, please PM me to do a "prisoner exchange" with the sizes we've both missed.

Speaking of forks-spades, does anyboy know of a reasonably good crimping tool for them that doesen't cost more than the instrument and the forks together, like the Swiss beauty recommended in Metrology forum that's for rich people ;) ?

Cheers,
 DC1MC

EDIT: Forgot to add the picture.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:01:29 am by DC1MC »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
ORe: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6434 on: May 30, 2018, 07:30:16 am »
Got some golden fork-spades for my soon to be test leads for solartron, some strange conjoined banana plugs and sockets, some Schrumpfschlauch (try to say this quickly 3 times as a non German   >:D ),
Sounds like an insulting nickname for Don Trump! ;D
a thingie to form the leaded components leads for placing them on the PCB, some parts to restore my Datron, including a very cheap calibration key with two keys (who wants some keys let me knoe), and more teflon coated wire that I'll ever need, in a bitter fight on the one and only active German seller of this stuff, if I bid against you, please PM me to do a "prisoner exchange" with the sizes we've both missed.

Speaking of forks-spades, does anyboy know of a reasonably good crimping tool for them that doesen't cost more than the instrument and the forks together, like the Swiss beauty recommended in Metrology forum that's for rich people ;) ?

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Interesting about forks-spades.
When I was young, "spade" normally referred to the "fork" type in Australia, but over time "spade" has come to mean the automotive type connectors with the flat rectangular tongue to fit into a matching female connector

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #6435 on: May 30, 2018, 08:24:48 am »

Damn, I'm sooo jealous, I hate you.  :-DD

Nice score  :-+, have been lurking and stalking this particular thing that with the right price for quite long time, but still no luck.  :'(

You can try Japanese Yahoo auction, I found my Hioki 3333 there.  :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6436 on: May 30, 2018, 08:36:23 am »
I just purchased this battery grip for my Canon DSLR and some batteries for it.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6437 on: May 30, 2018, 09:24:24 am »
Strictly speaking, not electronics related but fun.

One of those lucky cats that wave a paw.
(I am on holiday in Hong Kong, I like cats and I am of Chinese decent)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:26:21 am by MosherIV »

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6438 on: May 30, 2018, 11:40:26 am »
I kinda always thought these "lucky cats" are of Japanese origin ("Maneki-neko").
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #6439 on: May 30, 2018, 12:44:20 pm »
I kinda always thought these "lucky cats" are of Japanese origin ("Maneki-neko").

Yes, they are.  :)

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
Re: ORe: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6440 on: May 30, 2018, 08:02:43 pm »
Got some golden fork-spades for my soon to be test leads for solartron, some strange conjoined banana plugs and sockets, some Schrumpfschlauch (try to say this quickly 3 times as a non German   >:D ),
Sounds like an insulting nickname for Don Trump! ;D

No, by that comparison you are insulting perfectly civilised polyolefin  :-X

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6441 on: June 01, 2018, 01:21:02 pm »
I could not find the right swivel the other day in my box full off swivels. Mostly the small ones where gone so I just filled the inventory back up. When ordering I noticed they have swivels with cable guidance attached, nice did not have them. Also some tiewrap attachment thingies. And a Wiha MaxxSor anti kickback hammer.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6442 on: June 02, 2018, 11:11:54 am »
I got these delivered today!

I decided to give the Diamond sharpener a go as opposed to the usual whetstone.

I also decided to give the Chem Wik a try as i have been using the 5 rolls for £3 stuff from China with mixed results! I will report the success or failure of both products later today!

Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Leoni coaxial cable
« Reply #6443 on: June 02, 2018, 01:18:00 pm »
50 meters of RG8 equivalent Leoni coaxial cable, with stranded core with 7 x 0.85mm bare copper, for GPSDO antenna.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6444 on: June 02, 2018, 02:37:21 pm »

I also decided to give the Chem Wik a try as i have been using the 5 rolls for £3 stuff from China with mixed results! I will report the success or failure of both products later today!

Been down this road many times, I end up back with the Servisol Soldamop its not cheap but works 100%

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6445 on: June 02, 2018, 03:35:41 pm »

Been down this road many times, I end up back with the Servisol Soldamop its not cheap but works 100%

Thanks for sharing.

I will give this Chem Wik stuff a try and see how I go. If it's not reliable i'll give your stuff a try.
In fact I will order a roll anyways on the strength of a recommendation. Which 1 do you use? I see it prices from around £5 right up to £20?
I am still trying different ones trying to find 1 to stick with. As you'll know it's handy stuff for a quick couple of joints that need de-soldered or whatever. The Chinese stuff is a complete hit or miss even using a decent flux with it. I suppose you get what you pay for the same as everything else.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6446 on: June 02, 2018, 04:40:26 pm »
1.5 and 2.5mm for testing purposes the small rolls are fine, 10m is £13 ish from rapid electronics (also listed in there ebay shop)

Flow a bit of fresh solder into the joint then wick it away, a dab of a flux pen on smd's helps with the wicking under the chip
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 04:50:47 pm by bob225 »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6447 on: June 02, 2018, 07:46:03 pm »
Cool, thanks for the tip too. I'll order some up and see how I go with it. Hopefully I'll find one that works good for me from the couple I am going to try out.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6448 on: June 02, 2018, 09:20:49 pm »
FWIW, Chemtronics (Soder-Wick or Chem-Wik), MG Chemicals, and Multicore (Loctite/Henkel) are decent.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6449 on: June 02, 2018, 09:32:11 pm »
FWIW, Chemtronics (Soder-Wick or Chem-Wik), MG Chemicals, and Multicore (Loctite/Henkel) are decent.

It's the Chem Wik one I have now so that may be good enough. I have heard others saying it is ok too, that's what made me pick that particular brand to try. We'll see. I'll message back here once I've used it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf