Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2777196 times)

DC1MC, w.v.s. and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7300 on: October 14, 2018, 09:54:13 am »
A Sega Game Gear - it needs a recap (Nichicon and/or Panasonic) and it may get a McWill Lcd aswell

Going back to what I know - repairing broken electronics

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #7301 on: October 14, 2018, 10:21:00 am »
Vacuum 2 stage pump with mist eliminator, Alcatel 2012. Not exactly portable

Since Alcatel didn't exist for years now, that has to be second hand.  I have one like that (bit bigger, Alcatel 2033) so I'll mention a caution, just in case you didn't know.
First time you try running it, do it outside.  Because those oil mist filters use a cartridge that can become oil saturated, then air can't go through it. To prevent the pump from blowing itself up with overpressure, the mist filter has a spring on the cartridge, so it pops up and lets air go around it if it's blocked. Result: when I turned mine on to test the motor rotation (3 phase) the pump filled up the room with oil fog in about 2 seconds flat before I could turn it off. Oil last used in a university chem lab environment. I ran for the door holding my breath.

I couldn't find a source for replacement filters, so did a bad thing - soaked it in solvent, dried it, resoaked, etc. After this treatment it works, but of course will forever back-stream solvent into the pump. For my use, that doesn't matter. Hopefully.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7302 on: October 14, 2018, 10:31:44 am »
Thanks TerraHertz, mine comes from a chem lab too and it seems pretty unused aside from the dust from being stored probably years aside. The filter seems mostly dry, anyway I will probably build in the lathe a coarse carbon filter to put on top of it. The oil is clean but a bit dark, so I bought a mineral one (sunoco iso68) to replace it. Will use it to pot electronic circuits.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7303 on: October 14, 2018, 12:07:43 pm »
I pulled the trigger on 1 of these today!  :-+
Nice machines, I have a few of the 15" G4 versions on the shelf at work and they *fly*, SSD speed is ridiculous fast.

After just a couple days of using this thing it "flies" alright! Stupid fast! It is 1 heavy "mofu" though! I ended up getting 1 of those large trays with the padding cushion on the bottom for when I use it when I'm not sat at my desk. I know there's a lot more stuff inside it compared to my last laptop but "gee whizz"!
Happy with it so far but i'll let you know if I find anything that bugs me other that it's fat azz!  :)
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7304 on: October 15, 2018, 09:04:41 am »
After just a couple days of using this thing it "flies" alright! Stupid fast! It is 1 heavy "mofu" though! I ended up getting 1 of those large trays with the padding cushion on the bottom for when I use it when I'm not sat at my desk. I know there's a lot more stuff inside it compared to my last laptop but "gee whizz"!
Happy with it so far but i'll let you know if I find anything that bugs me other that it's fat azz!  :)

Yeah, they're a beast of a machine in weight. We were seeing around 3.2 GB/S from the SSD, be interesting to see how yours compares as I think it's slightly newer...

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7305 on: October 15, 2018, 09:15:46 am »

Yeah, they're a beast of a machine in weight. We were seeing around 3.2 GB/S from the SSD, be interesting to see how yours compares as I think it's slightly newer...

Cool, how would i find that out? I can work and use these things for general day to day things but i'm no "whizz kid" LOL :)

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7306 on: October 15, 2018, 09:21:53 am »
In fact mine may not be quicker as I don't have the high spec machine. I think mine is quite lower end compared to some of the others. I didn't go for the topped out model.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7307 on: October 15, 2018, 09:28:40 am »

Cool, how would i find that out? I can work and use these things for general day to day things but i'm no "whizz kid" LOL :)

You can use a freeware benchmarker such as AS SSD Benchmark to find out how the drive performs: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6014-as-ssd-benchmark.html (there are also many other progs like this)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline scuzzyTerminator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7308 on: October 16, 2018, 03:24:44 am »
Today AliExpress sent me a small pile of wrong parts. (After about 300 orders I'm pretty happy.)

I have asked for the correct parts but I have no idea what these are. They look kind'a cool. They are marked:
SI
4X

The "6K" is molded onto a circle in the center which might or might not be a window.

Any ideas?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:38:47 am by scuzzyTerminator »

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #7309 on: October 16, 2018, 03:41:24 am »

Don't know why either. It's pretty cool though.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #7310 on: October 16, 2018, 04:24:37 am »
Today AliExpress sent me a small pile of wrong parts. (After about 300 orders I'm pretty happy.)

I have asked for the correct parts but I have no idea what these are. They look kind'a cool. They are marked:
SI
4X

The "6K" is molded onto a circle in the center which might or might not be a window.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Some sort of optocoupler or photosensor?  Have you tried doing diode or resistance checks with a DMM across the various lead combinations?

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7311 on: October 16, 2018, 07:04:17 am »

Because it IS cool. Any interesting ROMs in the rear port? Mine came from Las Vegas and had a program ROM inside to program the slot machines :)

Today I bought these (2x TEA1611T) to fix my Panasonic Viera that doesn't want to switch on anymore.

McBryce.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7312 on: October 16, 2018, 07:49:41 am »

You can use a freeware benchmarker such as AS SSD Benchmark to find out how the drive performs: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6014-as-ssd-benchmark.html (there are also many other progs like this)

McBryce.
I downloaded that program and it reports that my Crucial 512Gb is a 1Tb so I'm wondering just how accurate that program really is if it gets the starting information wrong to start off with?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7313 on: October 16, 2018, 10:18:54 am »
Oooo, that's not good. Maybe try one of the other programs. I definitely wouldn't let that one write to my drive when it can't even tell what size it is.

McBryce.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7314 on: October 16, 2018, 10:59:22 am »

Does it have full RAM ? I still have a spare RAM chip for the 200 should be also for this one I guess.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7315 on: October 16, 2018, 11:46:11 am »
Can't remember if the RAMs are like the ROMs, but the ROMs are definitely strange, with folded back pins with a strange outer plastic frame.

McBryce. 

Offline anachrocomputer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7316 on: October 16, 2018, 11:54:21 am »
Arrived in the post yesterday, this fine Data Precision 3500 multimeter! It has a 5½ digit Panaplex display. Seems to work OK. There's an edge connector on the back to connect to a the DMM's internal signals, allowing for external control and readout. Date codes show that is was built in 1974 or so.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Cubdriver

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7317 on: October 16, 2018, 12:17:08 pm »
Very nice, I was tempted by that as well, but I already have 5 5.5 digit meters so I thought enough is enough  :palm:
I like the display on it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7318 on: October 16, 2018, 02:45:06 pm »
Can't remember if the RAMs are like the ROMs, but the ROMs are definitely strange, with folded back pins with a strange outer plastic frame.

McBryce.
I already posted some pictures earlier:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/vintage-computing/pictures-of-vintage-ics/msg1438341/#msg1438341

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7319 on: October 16, 2018, 05:19:33 pm »

Because it IS cool. Any interesting ROMs in the rear port? Mine came from Las Vegas and had a program ROM inside to program the slot machines :)
Agree 100%! I got a Tandy 102 plus several other goodies a few weeks ago. No ROM programs, though (only cassetes).

McBryce.
I already posted some pictures earlier:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/vintage-computing/pictures-of-vintage-ics/msg1438341/#msg1438341
Interesting; I haven't opened my 102 yet, but this looks quite similar to the RAM modules of my original TRS 80 Model 100.

My 102 seems to be fully equipped with RAM (it says 29xxx Bytes free), but the original Model 100 has only three out of four memory slots. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #7320 on: October 16, 2018, 05:49:44 pm »

SI
4X

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Some sort of optocoupler or photosensor?  Have you tried doing diode or resistance checks with a DMM across the various lead combinations?

-Pat
may be a chip for solar garden light ?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwZTKiltzKYzcE9qYUdkVUgxX2c/view?usp=sharing
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

The following users thanked this post: scuzzyTerminator

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7321 on: October 16, 2018, 06:21:17 pm »
In fact mine may not be quicker as I don't have the high spec machine. I think mine is quite lower end compared to some of the others. I didn't go for the topped out model.

I have the 17” nvidia 1070, 7700hq CPU, 1tb ssd, 16gb ram, 4K gsync display with the big battery. Really nice for working anywhere even though it’s about two years old now. If you didn’t get both HD filled but it was an option you can buy the cable and bracket and install another yourself. It is pretty handy having a few TB HD space sometimes. Also if it goes on sale soon you can usually get them to give you the difference too. Nice laptops though and they seem to hold up well over time.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7322 on: October 16, 2018, 06:47:18 pm »
Interesting; I haven't opened my 102 yet, but this looks quite similar to the RAM modules of my original TRS 80 Model 100.
My 102 seems to be fully equipped with RAM (it says 29xxx Bytes free), but the original Model 100 has only three out of four memory slots. 
These were indeed more for the Model200 which could hold 72kRAM, I believe it used bankswitching.
I gave mine away 8 years ago, sometimes I still regret that, it was a very nice piece of hardware.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7323 on: October 16, 2018, 07:01:37 pm »
These were indeed more for the Model200 which could hold 72kRAM, I believe it used bankswitching.
I gave mine away 8 years ago, sometimes I still regret that, it was a very nice piece of hardware.
The Model 100 and the Tandy 102 go up to 32kB and the 8080 has 16 address lines - certainly some memory bank switching would be needed to get the full 72kB. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline scuzzyTerminator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7324 on: October 16, 2018, 07:36:21 pm »
Searched the store products and found it. They are IS471F, "OPIC Light Detector with Built-in Signal Processing Circuit for Light Modulation System" for demodulating IR signals.

Turns out it's the tiny dot on the flat face that is the aperature.

Datasheet - https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Sharp%20PDFs/IS471F.pdf
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:46:34 pm by scuzzyTerminator »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf