Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2753940 times)

Gixy, Calambres and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7875 on: January 31, 2019, 06:39:57 pm »
Just got given one of these. A CI-94 Oscilloscope from Russia (1984). It's in perfect physical condition, looks like it was just taken out of the box, but I won't be turning it on until I've checked replaced those Russian electrolytics from the 80's. Strangely, the early ones (including the one I got) used a DIN connection for the probe instead of BNC.
Difficult to see in the picture (not my actually device), but it's tiny, the front is only 9cm x 18cm!

McBryce.
That's one good looking device! I love the design.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7876 on: January 31, 2019, 07:01:33 pm »
Mastech, or somebody, used to make a small 10MHz analog scope with CRT that had the same vertical format design. I almost bought one because I had limited space at that time. That was around 15 years ago though. I doubt it's still made.

Offline jimdeane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7877 on: January 31, 2019, 07:13:21 pm »
Just scored an old VT220 from the office.

Oh, and is someone missing a stapler?

Nice terminal!  I would love to have one just to plug into my linux box and play like it's 1992.

Holy grail for me right now: I want a red/orange plasma display GRiD systems laptop from the 80's. Second option, I'd like a yellow EL display GRiD  Compass like flew on the Space Shuttle in the mid 80's.

I would LOVE to have a full size monochrome red/orange plasma display.  Why?  I've just always loved the appearance.

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7878 on: February 01, 2019, 07:50:17 am »
Nice terminal!  I would love to have one just to plug into my linux box and play like it's 1992.

Holy grail for me right now: I want a red/orange plasma display GRiD systems laptop from the 80's. Second option, I'd like a yellow EL display GRiD  Compass like flew on the Space Shuttle in the mid 80's.

I would LOVE to have a full size monochrome red/orange plasma display.  Why?  I've just always loved the appearance.

The Toshiba T5200 laptop had a very nice orange plasma screen and are still regularly up on ebay. It was also a halfway ok laptop for the time.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #7879 on: February 01, 2019, 09:15:59 pm »

I'm going to pull +5 out of it to drive a RPi ZeroW.  Haven't decided if I'll build the zero internally, but I might.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7880 on: February 02, 2019, 03:07:30 pm »
Sold as fully working, came with battery contamination / corrosion, higher  \$\Omega\$ ranges false and 10's of mV DC offset. Luckily it was cheap enough to be worth it even after spending 3 hours decontaminating PCB and reworking tracks / vias. Appears to be saved and is only waiting a new battery holder now.
It will be fed lithium cells only!

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7881 on: February 02, 2019, 03:30:41 pm »
This may not be a good idea. Fresh Lithium cells start off at 1.8V and can cause problems in low current applications because the voltage doesn't immediately droop to 1.5V. Dave's 121GW shouldn't be used with fresh Lithium cells because of this. Your one might be similar. Hard to tell though without spending a lot of time reverse engineering it.

Some low self discharge NiMH batteries like the Eneloops or the rebranded Eneloops like the IKEA LADDA are a better choice IMO and cheaper.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7882 on: February 02, 2019, 04:33:48 pm »
Received a box containing two Agilent 66319D, bought for almost nothing. I bought them unseen for use as spare parts for the 66319D I already have, but now I realize that I can't use them for that.

The first one I unpacked is missing a foot and the knob, have problems powering on sometimes and needs calibration. Probably easy to fix.

The second one is squeaky clean both outside and inside and seems to work just fine.

So instead of spare parts I will soon have three working 66319D. That was not the plan.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7883 on: February 02, 2019, 06:50:46 pm »

I'm going to pull +5 out of it to drive a RPi ZeroW.  Haven't decided if I'll build the zero internally, but I might.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I have a Wyse 30+ terminal that I can't decide what I want to use it for.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7884 on: February 02, 2019, 08:28:30 pm »
Mastech, or somebody, used to make a small 10MHz analog scope with CRT that had the same vertical format design. I almost bought one because I had limited space at that time. That was around 15 years ago though. I doubt it's still made.
You mean like these ST16A scopes that constantly pollute the local auction site at silly prices?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 08:30:47 pm by tooki »

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7885 on: February 06, 2019, 04:35:01 pm »
Got a delivery of another POS boat anchor to restore. :D

Tektronix 577 Curve Tracer with the 177 test fixture.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7886 on: February 06, 2019, 07:33:31 pm »
That does look a lot like it, vertical format and all, but it's hard to say if it's the exact one.

You mean like these ST16A scopes that constantly pollute the local auction site at silly prices?

Offline blackbird

• Regular Contributor
  • Ooohhhh, what does this button do???
« Reply #7887 on: February 06, 2019, 09:18:38 pm »

It's not a plasma GRiD but still a nice one, the Gridcase 1530. Got it from my father, don't know how he got this one. The dark spots in the center of the pictures are caused by my phone (dust in the camera).
The laptop is functional if I can manage to reset the startup password. Disconneting the battery did not work  :(

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7888 on: February 07, 2019, 04:00:55 am »
Got a delivery of another POS boat anchor to restore. :D

Tektronix 577 Curve Tracer with the 177 test fixture.

You get some really nice POS. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline salvagedcircuitry

• Regular Contributor
  • Electrical Engineer | Hobbyist | Camera Enthusiast
    • salvagedcircuitry
« Reply #7889 on: February 08, 2019, 07:14:57 am »

It's not a plasma GRiD but still a nice one, the Gridcase 1530. Got it from my father, don't know how he got this one. The dark spots in the center of the pictures are caused by my phone (dust in the camera).
The laptop is functional if I can manage to reset the startup password. Disconneting the battery did not work  :(

Try pulling the bios/cmos battery. However, it's likely dead this long after production. :-DD
SalvagedCircuitry
www.salvagedcircuitry.com

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7890 on: February 08, 2019, 10:17:37 am »
This may not be a good idea. Fresh Lithium cells start off at 1.8V and can cause problems in low current applications because the voltage doesn't immediately droop to 1.5V. Dave's 121GW shouldn't be used with fresh Lithium cells because of this. Your one might be similar. Hard to tell though without spending a lot of time reverse engineering it.

Some low self discharge NiMH batteries like the Eneloops or the rebranded Eneloops like the IKEA LADDA are a better choice IMO and cheaper.

Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware of this kind of problem. I have tried it on Lithiums and not found any issues, a MAX856 is used as step-up to 5V in this meter.
The DMM's internal battery measurement reports the (new) Lithium cells as 3.3V, that's lower than the 3.6V measured externally.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #7891 on: February 08, 2019, 03:53:26 pm »
Got a grinder, "Proxxon Tellerschleifgerät TG 125/E". Nice little tool.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7892 on: February 10, 2019, 12:36:08 am »
*disc sander. A grinder is the thing with hard discs (like a Winkelschleifer) or stone (like the grinders for sharpening blades).

How do you like proxxon’s other tools, like the sander? So far I just have a proxxon “dremel” (IBS/E and the MB200 drill stand).

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7893 on: February 10, 2019, 06:29:14 am »
Bought an R&S NGPE supply. Didn't work because some caps were shorted, and possibly bad regulators. Because of that the +15V rail was low and unit thought it was pulling about 50A at all times. In the process of fixing it by replacing every tantalum capacitor and all of the +15V regulators. Also had no mains cable so I had to find the right connector(4 pin circular amphenol connector) and make a cable. The amps panel meter is cracked but I can't seem to find any part number or a similar style. I have every board out of the unit and all the tantalums removed and all ready to be replaced. Parts don't come for a couple days though. After that hopefully it'll work.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7894 on: February 10, 2019, 08:14:47 am »
Bought an R&S NGPE supply. Didn't work because some caps were shorted, and possibly bad regulators. Because of that the +15V rail was low and unit thought it was pulling about 50A at all times. In the process of fixing it by replacing every tantalum capacitor and all of the +15V regulators. Also had no mains cable so I had to find the right connector(4 pin circular amphenol connector) and make a cable. The amps panel meter is cracked but I can't seem to find any part number or a similar style. I have every board out of the unit and all the tantalums removed and all ready to be replaced. Parts don't come for a couple days though. After that hopefully it'll work.

Totally get rid of the two blue elcos on the middle boards, I never seen a case when they don't create problems.

DC1MC

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7895 on: February 10, 2019, 08:49:30 am »

Totally get rid of the two blue elcos on the middle boards, I never seen a case when they don't create problems.

DC1MC

What sort of problems? The power unit also uses some Philips HP caps but much higher voltage ratings. The ones on the smaller boards are for the split +15 / -15 rails.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #7896 on: February 10, 2019, 05:39:56 pm »
I bought this. And it's really useful doing things in my first house I also bought recently.

My new house will have a 3.5x3.5M attic room, space for an electronics room!

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7897 on: February 11, 2019, 02:30:15 am »
I was going to convert this HP Battery module to LiPo's but decided to swap out the 2500 long dead NiCads for 'allegedly' 10000mAh NiMh instead to keep the other mods to a minimum. Under $4 USD each delivered on special so also a chunk cheaper than LiPo's.

I will be testing your claims Eastlakes Electronics so you had better not have used  :bullshit: marketing or I will claim on your evilbay/paypal butt and leave appropriate feedback  >:D

Time to breakout the vinegar and water to clean up the crusty crystals on the chassis.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:20:03 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #7898 on: February 11, 2019, 09:18:21 am »
How do you like proxxon’s other tools, like the sander? So far I just have a proxxon “dremel” (IBS/E and the MB200 drill stand).

Can't read the type number anymore, it's scratched, but I have a small dremel from Proxxon as well with a stand. Works pretty good for drilling small holes (a few millimeters) or cutting traces. But for bigger holes I need my drill press.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7899 on: February 11, 2019, 01:17:15 pm »
Picked up yet another portable mini TV from Akihabara, along with a 'Corning' brand 10MHz crystal oscillator.

Having a bit of trouble finding info on it though, it's part number MC833X4-006W and cross references to HP part number 1813-0644.

Anyone got any ideas how to find a pinout for this thing?
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf