Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754968 times)

Offline Fludo

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7900 on: February 11, 2019, 01:19:41 pm »
I bought an Advantest R3131A Spectrum Analyzer 9kHz - 3GHz  off of EBay for $165 shipped. Doesn't have TG option but the price was right.
I had the seller try and run self test but he reported the keyboard was not responding to inputs.  Hopefully I can use GPIB adapter and labview to get it responding remotely.  In addition, I bought a few attenuators and Type N - bnc adapters to test it, but have trouble finding a cheap 3GHz source to test it with.  My Wavetek 288 function gen goes up to 20MHz with AM/FM and will be fun to play with.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7901 on: February 11, 2019, 06:13:14 pm »
I got 1 of these I am happy to report...

I've been looking for one in decent nick at the right price for a while now. This 1 looks ok in the photos but we'll see when it arrives.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:19:57 pm by Terry01 »
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #7902 on: February 11, 2019, 09:48:54 pm »
I was going to convert this HP Battery module to LiPo's but decided to swap out the 2500 long dead NiCads for 'allegedly' 10000mAh NiMh instead to keep the other mods to a minimum.

I was going to do the same thing to an instrument that had a lot of dead NiCads. Bought the NiMh replacements. Then reading up on characteristics (which I should have done before buying), discovered that NiMh do not like constant trickle charge. It apparently ruins them. The instrument used simple trickle charge. Changing that to implement the correct charge profile for NiMh wasn't feasible. So I had wasted a significant amount of money.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7903 on: February 11, 2019, 09:58:19 pm »
I was going to convert this HP Battery module to LiPo's but decided to swap out the 2500 long dead NiCads for 'allegedly' 10000mAh NiMh instead to keep the other mods to a minimum.

I was going to do the same thing to an instrument that had a lot of dead NiCads. Bought the NiMh replacements. Then reading up on characteristics (which I should have done before buying), discovered that NiMh do not like constant trickle charge. It apparently ruins them. The instrument used simple trickle charge. Changing that to implement the correct charge profile for NiMh wasn't feasible. So I had wasted a significant amount of money.

I will still be swapping out the charge circuitry on this as it will be on 24/7 under load with the batteries becoming a UPS of sorts. More fuss to protect the LiPo's and also deal with the voltage change in this case.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7904 on: February 12, 2019, 08:47:00 am »
How do you like proxxon’s other tools, like the sander? So far I just have a proxxon “dremel” (IBS/E and the MB200 drill stand).

Can't read the type number anymore, it's scratched, but I have a small dremel from Proxxon as well with a stand. Works pretty good for drilling small holes (a few millimeters) or cutting traces. But for bigger holes I need my drill press.

I have the Proxxon 28608 Precision Vice and I love it. It's awesome! I had a Clarke one before that and the Proxxon is in a different league all together! I would recommend it to anyone looking for a non permanent vice. It really is a solid piece of kit!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7905 on: February 12, 2019, 09:10:23 am »
I have a whole collection of Proxxon tools. The Vice above, plus a hand drill, drill jig, drill extension rod (good for hand modding plastic cases or work outside the jig) and circular saw (really good for PCB cutting if you use a diamond blade). So as you can guess, I think their tools are good too. I wouldn't recommend the vice with suction base. It loses it's grip with even the slightest of pressure on the vice.

McBryce.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:12:04 am by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #7906 on: February 12, 2019, 01:31:08 pm »
I have the Proxxon 28608 Precision Vice and I love it. It's awesome! I had a Clarke one before that and the Proxxon is in a different league all together! I would recommend it to anyone looking for a non permanent vice. It really is a solid piece of kit!

I have a "Bernstein Spannfix" vice. I really like that you can quickly unlock it with the lever and rotate it in any direction, very useful for prototyping.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7907 on: February 12, 2019, 02:08:47 pm »
New tool day!

Got me a set of cable gland pliers (no more chewing up those press fit cable glands with my piers), some fiberglass scratchy pens for cleaning corrosion and stuff, and a set of IC extractors, and I even managed to find a set of discontinued IC Inserters (Yay for old guys hoarding stuff in Akihabara! :D )
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7908 on: February 12, 2019, 02:15:00 pm »
I have a "Bernstein Spannfix" vice. I really like that you can quickly unlock it with the lever and rotate it in any direction, very useful for prototyping.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/msg1689353/#msg1689353

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7909 on: February 12, 2019, 07:08:34 pm »
Now I fully understand why Westerners boycott shit exported from China. They don't have to follow the same quality standard as their domestic counterparts have to, so a manufacturer can literally dump any illegal shit, as long as they're not sold within Mainland China.
Not all westerners are exposed to the same quality. Here in the US the "cheap chinese stuff" has much higher quality than the crap I buy in South America (more specifically, Brasil and Argentina) - especially when talking about chargers, extension cords, tools and children's toys. They are actually dangerous but can be bough everywhere. Shameful, really. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7910 on: February 13, 2019, 01:07:02 am »
New tool day!
I have a pair of ic extractors ,one is the gx , and the other an oki(they are in storage)
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7911 on: February 13, 2019, 02:51:45 am »
After a bit sniffing, I found the literal smoking gun -- a smoking UK to universal socket adapter.
Those universal adapters are crap + dangerous because of how they're designed. The nickname deathdapter is well deserved.

The previous one probably suffered from a high current load, maybe someone plugged the kettle in it.
I was talking to housekeeping last time I was in HK and she said some people bring their own electric grills with them so they can cook in the rooms :palm:

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7912 on: February 13, 2019, 04:49:17 am »
Dick Smith MKII K-7214 ESR meter, original unopened kit (over 20 years old).
Don't see these come up for sale very often. Both Dave and Dick will approve of this purchase.

I also own a K-7205 LOPT/Flyback tester and a K-3602 Eprom Programmer.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:00:59 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, salvagedcircuitry

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7913 on: February 13, 2019, 05:58:37 am »
Ooh, I have that ESR meter!
That flyback tester looks interesting. Mind opening it up and taking some photos for a bit of reverse engineering?

[Edit] A quick google found me the original manual. Might have to make me one of these. :)

https://www.flippers.com/pdfs/k7205.pdf
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:03:30 am by TERRA Operative »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7914 on: February 13, 2019, 06:02:03 am »
Ooh, I have that ESR meter!
That flyback tester looks interesting. Mind opening it up  and taking some photos for a bit of reverse engineering?

I'll go you one better
http://bobparker.net.au/lopt_tester/k7205.pdf

This is the newer version of the K-7205
https://anatekinstruments.com/products/anatek-blue-ring-q-meter-full-kit-for-self-assembly-artest_kit
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:04:02 am by Shock »

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7915 on: February 13, 2019, 06:04:41 am »
Ha, you beat me to the edit.

New project time! :D

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7916 on: February 13, 2019, 09:49:21 am »
After a bit sniffing, I found the literal smoking gun -- a smoking UK to universal socket adapter.
Those universal adapters are crap + dangerous because of how they're designed. The nickname deathdapter is well deserved.

The previous one probably suffered from a high current load, maybe someone plugged the kettle in it.
I was talking to housekeeping last time I was in HK and she said some people bring their own electric grills with them so they can cook in the rooms :palm:

That happens in the UK too, my partner worked for a number of hotels up to 5 star in London and it's quite common to have maintenance reset breakers because people trip them with grills, it's also common to throw kettles away because people 'cook' in them, on one occasion she told me of a visitor who was storing fresh food in the bath with ice from the bar.

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #7917 on: February 13, 2019, 02:21:44 pm »
... on one occasion she told me of a visitor who was storing fresh food in the bath with ice from the bar.
Hopefully not human kidneys.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7918 on: February 13, 2019, 03:19:22 pm »

That looks like a very simple and robust vice for sure! I think I would be very happy to own that vice too. It looks like a solid piece of kit that does what it says on the tin!  :-+

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7919 on: February 13, 2019, 04:13:48 pm »
... on one occasion she told me of a visitor who was storing fresh food in the bath with ice from the bar.
Or a body.   :o
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #7920 on: February 14, 2019, 04:19:50 am »
Two boards for 550$ from Fluke 5440B to steal parts and voodoo resistors from....  :-//
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7921 on: February 14, 2019, 05:48:24 am »
You guys have strange ideas about "fresh food".

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7922 on: February 14, 2019, 09:28:34 am »

I keep looking back at this. It's a very nice vice indeed! I think it's a much more upgraded/refined version of the one I have.
I love mine so can only imagine how much more a treat to use yours is. I see yours is about 5 X the price of mine but with these things you get what you pay for....  most of the time!
That's one of the things I like about the forum, you get a real world review of these things.

I know some will say "you don't need a more expensive vice" or whatever, but sometimes it's nice just to have these things. Kinda like owning a a Mercedes when a Ford or Vauxhall will do just fine.

I'm very tempted to invest in 1 and keep mine as a back up and to use the odd time you need 2 vices.

We'll see....  :)

I can hear the Mrs already.... "More JUNK"! LOL

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7923 on: February 14, 2019, 10:54:24 am »
You guys have strange ideas about "fresh food".

Meh, it's all protein...

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7924 on: February 14, 2019, 10:56:59 am »
The two Workzone branded small vices (suction and edge mount) from Aldi go on special once a year for about $15 each which is a bit of a bargain.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf