Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754292 times)

techneut and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7950 on: February 18, 2019, 10:01:43 pm »
There are a dozen or so Fluke 6080AN Synthesized Function Generators on Ebay for $125 that look like they were tossed from height into a dumpster.  I found one with the best looking case without any damage to the front panel / connectors, but didn't power on.  I tried talking the seller down to $75 but they said they are worth more than that as scrap metal(~60lb beast). 
Hopefully it's a power supply fuse/fault and everything else works, if not there's a full user manual and service/calibration manual with schematics an will be a fun project to tear apart.

Somehow, I seriously doubt that they are worth anywhere near $75 as scrap metal, most of that weight is going to be electronic components and circuit boards.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #7951 on: February 18, 2019, 10:50:17 pm »
Man, I read gamalot's reply immediately after GreyWoolfe's without reading the quoted text in between. :-DD

Man, I read gamalot's reply immediately after GreyWoolfe's without reading the quoted text in between. :-DD

So did I, and his profile picture didn't help the confusion either :D

McBryce.

I bought another one this afternoon.  :-DD

I grabbed one of those on the weekend too along with the ratcheting spanners.  :-+

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #7952 on: February 18, 2019, 11:48:08 pm »
There are a dozen or so Fluke 6080AN Synthesized Function Generators on Ebay for $125 that look like they were tossed from height into a dumpster.  I found one with the best looking case without any damage to the front panel / connectors, but didn't power on.  I tried talking the seller down to $75 but they said they are worth more than that as scrap metal(~60lb beast). 
Hopefully it's a power supply fuse/fault and everything else works, if not there's a full user manual and service/calibration manual with schematics an will be a fun project to tear apart.

Looked interesting but $150US shipping is a no-go.... >:(
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7953 on: February 19, 2019, 07:28:23 am »
Children are very good--if marinated properly. :popcorn:

You clearly have read "A modest proposal", a satire from the 18th century, which I recommend everyone to read for a good laugh, it is short,

A MODEST PROPOSAL

For preventing the children of poor people in Ireland,
from being a burden on their parents or country,
and for making them beneficial to the public

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1080/1080-h/1080-h.htm

Probably very interesting and as I'm Irish I'd have liked to read it but....

"We apologize for this inconvenience. Your IP address has been automatically blocked from the address you tried to visit at www.gutenberg.org. This is because the geoIP database shows your address is in the country of Germany.
Diagnostic information:

Blocked at germany.shtml
Your IP address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Referrer URL (if available): (none)
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0
Date: Tuesday, 19-Feb-2019 07:26:05 GMT
Why did this block occur?

A Court in Germany ordered that access to certain items in the Project Gutenberg collection are blocked from Germany. Project Gutenberg believes the Court has no jurisdiction over the matter, but until the issue is resolved during appeal, it will comply.

For more information about the German court case, and the reason for blocking all of Germany rather than single items, visit PGLAF's information page about the German lawsuit.

For more information about the legal advice Project Gutenberg has received concerning international issues, visit PGLAF's International Copyright Guidance for Project Gutenberg "

McBryce.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:31:06 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7954 on: February 19, 2019, 11:02:56 am »
10pcs of 100k 0.1% mil hermetic wirewound resistors. Still in sealed plastic and waxed paper packaging. TC looks pretty good, <0.01% change over a 30'C temperature excursion from a quick and dirty test.

They should hopefully get the next decade of my Hamon divider underway.  :)

P.S. Any chance that someone has data on the ERG TSPR23 family?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:32:01 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7955 on: February 20, 2019, 10:58:10 pm »
I got myself a nice Fluke 89iv a couple of days ago. It was really clean and tidy with no marks of scratches or anything like that. It was a tiny bit grubby as you'd expect from a 10+ years old meter. It's been well looked after and spent it's life on a clean bench somewhere and whoever owned it before me has looked after it real good. I gave it a quick wipe and it's came up like brand new!
I forgot to take a photo or 2 to show just how clean this meter is. I'll do that tomorrow and edit them into this post.
I've also had it on my DMM check thing and it's as near as damn it with my other meters.
The only thing wrong with it is one of the real feeble black plastic twist screws that hold the battery door closed has lost 1 side of it's shoulders.

Does anyone know where I could pick one of these up? It's a real shame this tiny thing is broken on it as it is otherwise minted.
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7956 on: February 21, 2019, 07:37:37 am »
I got myself a nice Fluke 89iv a couple of days ago. It was really clean and tidy with no marks of scratches or anything like that. It was a tiny bit grubby as you'd expect from a 10+ years old meter. It's been well looked after and spent it's life on a clean bench somewhere and whoever owned it before me has looked after it real good. I gave it a quick wipe and it's came up like brand new!
I forgot to take a photo or 2 to show just how clean this meter is. I'll do that tomorrow and edit them into this post.
I've also had it on my DMM check thing and it's as near as damn it with my other meters.
The only thing wrong with it is one of the real feeble black plastic twist screws that hold the battery door closed has lost 1 side of it's shoulders.

Does anyone know where I could pick one of these up? It's a real shame this tiny thing is broken on it as it is otherwise minted.

Sounds like a classic job for a 3D printer?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7957 on: February 21, 2019, 08:26:49 am »

Sounds like a classic job for a 3D printer?

McBryce.

Yup, for sure a job for 1 of them.... I think!

I don't own 1 so i don't know if it would make a decent 1 or not. I would tend to agree with you though just on what I have seen. It's amazing what they can replicate so precisely in all manor of flavours!
I have thought about getting 1 in the past but I really don't have the room for 1 anywhere.
I live in Edinburgh so I am sure there will be a 3D print shop up town. I'll see if I can get them out without breaking them and if I can i'll try getting 1 3D printed.

Thanks for the idea  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7958 on: February 21, 2019, 09:09:17 am »
It's been a nice week for me. Got myself an Advantest TQ8346 optical spectrum analyzer. The specs for it are kind of missing because the only manual I found was in japanese,   but the unit itself only lets me input ranges from 850nm to 1700 nm. I also did a brief teardown of the optical unit ans ut looks like that one supports also the visible spectrum (starting somewhere from 400nm,  my guess)

Also,   completely unrelated to electronics,   I got myself a Tos dividing head. Weird part about that...  I don't have a mill for it...yet But it was so cheap I couldn't pass the offer.

This is the teardown of the optical s.a.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SriEXvkiuYzTovw58

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7959 on: February 21, 2019, 09:17:43 am »
It's been a nice week for me. Got myself an Advantest TQ8346 optical spectrum analyzer. The specs for it are kind of missing because the only manual I found was in japanese,   but the unit itself only lets me input ranges from 850nm to 1700 nm. I also did a brief teardown of the optical unit ans ut looks like that one supports also the visible spectrum (starting somewhere from 400nm,  my guess)

Also,   completely unrelated to electronics,   I got myself a Tos dividing head. Weird part about that...  I don't have a mill for it...yet But it was so cheap I couldn't pass the offer.

This is the teardown of the optical s.a.

Try hitting up http://www.adcmt.com/ I was chasing an Advantest manual a while ago. Took them a while to get back to me but had a few emails back and forth from them from one of the Managers (in English ;) ) Good Luck

Trawled up the manual for a TQ8341 and dropped it on my Google Drive if it helps. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U_xd-2cR4k80CD3eiI7j9jyWZMjCgy8d/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:31:21 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: cat87

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7960 on: February 21, 2019, 12:21:50 pm »
Awesome,   :-+ thanks for that manual and for the hint with ADCMT. I'll give it a try.

Offline unitedatoms

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7961 on: February 21, 2019, 01:08:32 pm »
Yesterday I was lucky to pick two car loads of trash bags full of discards of RF metrology kind (with their full permission, I work there but not directly with rf hardware).
So far sorted through one third of it. Mostly empty static bags and print cartriges etc. Good finds are 3x beautiful new 22000uF 63V caps, two tiny 100W DC-DC converters totally new, tiny RF smt relays. Lots of smt chips.

Other useless, bus amusing is loads of 2.92mm connectors with semirigid cables ends, reels of 0402 passives, too small for hobby, bare dies, etc. No use for me at all, but hours of entertainment of treasure hunt.
Interested in all design related projects no matter how simple, or complicated, slow going or fast, failures or successes

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7962 on: February 21, 2019, 10:51:11 pm »
a sad kei 260
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #7963 on: February 22, 2019, 12:59:12 pm »
Just bought this thing:

I was planning to make me one out of scrap things lying 'round my shop but it was sooo cheap.

I guess I must modify it to make it real safe  ::)

Offline jackthomson41

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7964 on: February 22, 2019, 03:29:47 pm »
I buy my electronics stuff from aliexpress, works best for me. My last order was NodeMCU & LM317.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:42:17 pm by jackthomson41 »

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7965 on: February 22, 2019, 05:32:23 pm »
Yeah. Be aware that the snap stud is not connected to the ground wire on these cheap connection points. You'll need to add a jumper wire on the back from the stud to the back of the sockets if you need to use it.

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #7966 on: February 23, 2019, 07:54:31 am »
Hi all, I bought the ZD-8915 and JBC CD-2BE. Yeaahhhhh. The ZD-8915 I ran through some of it's paces and it works, so far, very well! The glass tube is a night mare to take out. Now in search of 1 eurocent coins as we never had those in the Netherlands. A US dime or perhaps some other copper (plated) smaller coins will do the trick as the mid-point stopper and solder catcher. I've now squeezed in from an previous de-soldering equipment (Philips rebranded SEM/FTM technologies). The JBC I did not try yet. Only connected it, played with the super fast heat and sleep mode. And of course updated the software. Very happy so far with these purchases and will definitely try out some other active tips for the JBC from other sources (.... express). Should I post pictures?

Very very happy with teh JBC CD-2BE. So nice, fast, lot's of power. Only a big smile on my face when soldering. Now I need start using other tips and let's see how long the tips last.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #7967 on: February 23, 2019, 07:16:41 pm »

Very very happy with teh JBC CD-2BE. So nice, fast, lot's of power. Only a big smile on my face when soldering. Now I need start using other tips and let's see how long the tips last.

I purchased the same one about 18mos ago and have not yet replaced a tip. My setup has about 5 tips in common use and I have done a LOT of soldering. If you avoid violent cleaning on the brass brush - they last a long time. I have seen a few people that are really rough with the cleaning which offers no benefit and reduces the life of the tips.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #7968 on: February 23, 2019, 07:37:55 pm »
If you avoid violent cleaning on the brass brush - they last a long time. I have seen a few people that are really rough with the cleaning which offers no benefit and reduces the life of the tips.

I have never found a need to be rough with cleaning my tips on my brass curls.  A gentle caress works well as well with Mrs GreyWoolfe. >:D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7969 on: February 23, 2019, 11:33:44 pm »
Saved this current/voltage source from the iron junkyard container this morning for €15
No idea if it is worthwile, just could not see it being destroyed.
First going to look inside for leaking stuff etc before powering up.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7970 on: February 24, 2019, 01:59:46 am »
Fluke 732B to keep the 732A company.

Pic of the unit of the initial warmup output.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:05:35 am by TheSteve »
VE7FM

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7971 on: February 24, 2019, 02:06:34 am »
Saved this current/voltage source from the iron junkyard container this morning for €15
No idea if it is worthwile, just could not see it being destroyed.

For that price, it's worthwhile for the controls and binding posts, not to mention the nice enclosure.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #7972 on: February 24, 2019, 10:06:16 am »
Yeah. Be aware that the snap stud is not connected to the ground wire on these cheap connection points. You'll need to add a jumper wire on the back from the stud to the back of the sockets if you need to use it.

Yes, I know. There's a youtube there showing exactly what you say:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:08:32 am by Calambres »

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7973 on: February 24, 2019, 11:36:36 am »

Yes, I know. There's a youtube there showing exactly what you say:

Attached a couple os photos to show how I made the connections in my ESD ground panel, using spade crimping terminals, washers, nuts and bolts. The head bolt inside the hole of the terminal does not interfere with the connection with that sort of terminal. Besides, to the bolt, a crocodile grabber can be used for extra or a simply a different connection type.

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #7974 on: February 24, 2019, 06:29:28 pm »
Great... thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf