Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754530 times)

Qw3rtzuiop and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7975 on: February 25, 2019, 05:37:02 am »
Well, thanks to re-reading that old Project/Lab Notebook thread that got resurrected, I now have about $70 worth of various notebooks/notepads, pens, pencils and markers on order from Amazon. At least I managed to resist buying that telescope which popped up as a recommended item.

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7976 on: February 25, 2019, 07:20:59 pm »
On Ebay I purchased some 50 Ohm feed through terminators, but they turn out to miss the 50 resistor inside. Contacted the seller, he refunded me and thanked me for taken the time to verify and send him a photo. Turns out that he is still selling the same terminators  :--

After that I bought the last 3 50 Ohm terminators from another seller, since I only had 2 terminators, leftovers from the ThinNet (10base2) era.

I find the price of €20... €30 and up, a piece, just to expensive for what they are. But in this case, a cheap deal turned me into a sheep.  |O

Photo attached: on the left the good 50 Ohm terminators and on the right that bad pass trough.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7977 on: February 25, 2019, 09:36:41 pm »
Indeed, I don't remember 50 ohm terminators costing much back in the ThinNet days. I'm shocked at what the ones for test gear cost!

There do appear to be some cheaper ones out there, though, not to mention the option of DIY (discussed on a thread in the forums).

And isn't another option to use a BNC T-adapter and put a cheap non-passthrough terminator on one jack?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:39:08 pm by tooki »

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7978 on: February 25, 2019, 09:53:43 pm »
And isn't another option to use a BNC T-adapter and put a cheap non-passthrough terminator on one jack?

The T's with the 50 Ohm terminator non-passthrough is what I've been using. I have a tek2445 with 50 Ohm inputs option, so that solution have been fine for my needs. But I recently bought a DSO that has no 50 Ohm inputs, and using those T's on the inputs of the scope... it gets all cramped with BNC connectors, so the passthrough option would be sleeker.

I may try to fit 2 // 100 Ohm SMD resistors inside each (useless) passthrough that I get at Ebay, and bring those to the intended purpose.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7979 on: February 25, 2019, 10:21:23 pm »
Fluke 8845A, for about US$160, from eBay.

A couple of the ranges don't work. I'm thinking that the relays are bad since I hear a thunk when switching from a working range to the broken range.

I ran the firmware upgrade procedure (thank's TiN for the FW download). Unfortunately, I wasn't good at following instructions, and thought the "The next step takes up to 12 minutes. Click Ok when it says done" was a "The next step takes 12 minutes. Click OK to start" message. So, once you click OK, it says to power cycle it..... so I power cycled it as it was sending the inguard FW over the optical link, corrupting its flash. I also now know the commands to directly modify the various calibration constants, so that's nice, too.

Fortunately, the firmware contains the raw data that needs to be loaded to the flash, so I desoldered it, reflashed it, and it worked again. Nicely, I also was able to grab the root passwords for it from the firmware image (different password for the three ports it uses). I _think_ you can also tell it to be an 8846 over the interface and it'll believe you. The 8846 supports USB storage, has a more stable LM399, higher resistance range, lower AC range, capacitance measurement, RTC, and temperature modes.

For me, the USB storage and low-current ranges would be good to have. If it accepts a "MODEL 8446" command, then I'll start purchasing the USB components.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, tooki, salvagedcircuitry

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7980 on: February 26, 2019, 05:06:53 pm »
Indeed, I don't remember 50 ohm terminators costing much back in the ThinNet days. I'm shocked at what the ones for test gear cost!
Me neither, but I took a quick look at some brands and almost fell off my chair: Pasternack and Pomona

There do appear to be some cheaper ones out there, though, not to mention the option of DIY (discussed on a thread in the forums).
I also have found some that may be easier to adapt (or even actually have the resistor inside), but their bulky box may get in the way if you have many probes attached.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Ohm-Feed-Through-Terminator-BNC-to-BNC-50KY-Device-Q9-Adapter-Black/312248423345
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7981 on: February 27, 2019, 02:17:38 am »
Today arrived a Yokogawa DL1520 DSO. Mostly working, has some Macintosh classic cuteness to it.
In the same box came 5x 6A DC + 2x 32A DC circuit breakers.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7982 on: February 27, 2019, 02:35:22 am »
Today arrived a Yokogawa DL1520 DSO. Mostly working, has some Macintosh classic cuteness to it.
In the same box came 5x 6A DC + 2x 32A DC circuit breakers.
Wow, it really does!!!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7983 on: February 27, 2019, 02:49:42 am »
Brought some Random Junk to use up the rest of a stupid prepaid Visa I was given a while ago. Evilbay to the rescue for some budget retail therapy.

Spudger Twin pack (thanks Big Clive) eBay auction: #172907372716

Magnets - Because you can never have to many eBay auction: #282995691081

Ceramic Power Resistors - Because  :-// :-DD eBay auction: #283135352219

Mission accomplished Card wiped out  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Nx-1997

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7984 on: February 27, 2019, 08:37:56 am »
Don't need it but it was only 100 bucks, so why not. >:D

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7985 on: February 27, 2019, 08:44:37 pm »
Cisco USB console cable
Cisco DB9 console cable
USB to DB9 converter cable to update the firmware of my network streamer to 4.7

Like I don't have enough leads kicking about the house as it is.

After specifically buying a parallel and Com ports for my desktop for the hi fi company's streamer they go and make a change on the firmware or firmware updater software so that it needs a USB to serial converter lead to make the update. |O

No looking for a USB front panel for my desktop as both ports have failed. Or maybe a wall mount..
I'm getting far too old and ineffective at contortion to crawl under the table the desktop is on to try and mate connectors.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7986 on: February 27, 2019, 10:22:12 pm »
Don't need it but it was only 100 bucks, so why not. >:D

Indeed! :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7987 on: March 02, 2019, 11:56:30 pm »
I went to look at a couple datrons. 1 x 1062 and 1 x 1072 as described: turn on, pass all self tests, displays good. That turned into 1 x 1072 and 5 x 1062 when I actually got there  :palm:. They all had error 5 or error 6, one had Error OL. One had a bad display, 1 had a bad keyboard. I ended up buying 2 x 1062 with error 5/6 and 1 x 1072 with Error 5 and a busted low input jack. All good displays and keyboards. The seller threw in one 1062 that started smoking while I was trying to check them(A tantalum happened to burn up). I ended up paying about $200 and the whole 2 hour drive home I kept thinking about how I probably just threw $200 in a fire. 3 1/2 hours later the 3 I paid for are all working and pass self tests. I also have a spare 1061/2 display to boot. Really lucky he threw in the spare, without it I would have needed to spend more money to get them going. All the batteries were 3.7V. Now I should just need to buy caps to replace the electrolytics and see how the calibrations are.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:58:38 pm by maginnovision »

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7988 on: March 03, 2019, 06:18:57 am »
That's a damn good deal !
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7989 on: March 03, 2019, 03:34:44 pm »
Never saw a Datron, which years are they from?
I do recognize the led-keys which were standard 80s consumer keys.
How weird that they inverted the lower row so the leds are under the keys.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7990 on: March 03, 2019, 05:00:41 pm »
Never saw a Datron, which years are they from?
I do recognize the led-keys which were standard 80s consumer keys.
How weird that they inverted the lower row so the leds are under the keys.

I believe these were made through the 80's. 1050's were pre 80's and 12xx were 90's. I'm not an expert though so that's just an estimate. I believe datron instruments went down right around 2000.

Quick edit: The 1071/2 may have been around longer. My ROMs are from 94, or they just continued updates for a while.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 02:06:48 am by maginnovision »

Offline r3bers

• Contributor
    • solovjov.net
« Reply #7991 on: March 05, 2019, 11:22:09 pm »
Haloperidol two packs. For real. Grandma have problems...

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7992 on: March 06, 2019, 01:28:23 am »
I won these puppies on Yahoo Japan, approx USD30 each shipped so I basically stole them. Brand new they are $450+, which is far too much for a lowly hobbyist like me but deals can be had on the used market for a niche item like these. I've been on the hunt for these for nearly 5 months now, wooohooooo.  ^-^

There's a sticker dating it back to 1993 so it's nearly as old as I am but as far as I can tell from a few test crimps with the proper PIDG terminals, they still work wonderfully. It came with the original manual and it still has the locator tabs which makes it so much easier to position the terminals. As much as I love my Pressmaster crimper there's no beating the original tooling.   :-+

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #7993 on: March 08, 2019, 03:49:54 pm »
A very large capacitor 65mmx95mm to help stabilize the DC bus between two competing voltage regulators in my solar system, this increases the stored energy from 33 to 177 Joules, notice the red led to keep fingers off!

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #7994 on: March 09, 2019, 03:03:46 am »
A very large capacitor 65mmx95mm to help stabilize the DC bus between two competing voltage regulators in my solar system, this increases the stored energy from 33 to 177 Joules, notice the red led to keep fingers off!

“Jianghai” is a Chinese brand that began in 1970.  :)

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #7995 on: March 09, 2019, 01:08:29 pm »
a very nice and handy 10x illuminated magnifier, with 0.1mm scale for €25
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253371798341

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7996 on: March 11, 2019, 12:56:45 pm »
Got myself another DIP chip inserter, should help me really bend pins on larger DIP chips good and proper.

Also picked up a HP 8160A 50Mhz pulse generator for just under ¥5000 delivered (auction photo). Should make for a nice eventual restoration project once I finally get around to it one day.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7997 on: March 11, 2019, 01:10:18 pm »
Picked this up on ebay for €56 for my sons school (primary) They're setting up a "makers room". A few dodgy contacts need cleaning, but otherwise a runner.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7998 on: March 12, 2019, 01:03:01 am »
Thats a nice one, most Hameg's over here look as if they have been dragged through a hedge backwards  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline electromotive

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7999 on: March 12, 2019, 02:48:52 am »
Picked up a decent used HP Slimline to replace my dead bench PC. I'll be doing a few minor upgrades to it.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 02:50:32 am by electromotive »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf