Author Topic: What do you think the average IQ of this forum is?  (Read 19812 times)

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
What do you think the average IQ of this forum is?
« on: March 17, 2018, 04:12:35 pm »
I am really curious. For the most part I is like a very smart person. I done real good like with my book learnin'. At the risk of sounding really arrogant I'm usually the "smartest person in the room" (Enron movie reference: when I was younger without a conscious I was on track to end up like those people, got my series 7 63 etc etc) Amazing how you can give up being rich for being nice.

My point is that on this forum I feel right in the middle (not counting the new posters that just come ask a question or young males that tell you they know everything realize they are wrong and continue to bury themselves) as far as native intelligence, not how much I know about electronics. Its nice being able to write a one sentence thought knowing you don't have to explain it.

Tempting as it maybe to ask people IQ's this is the internet so any number would have to be averaged then multiplied by <1 to take out the bullshit factor. Much like if a guy tells you he has slept with 10 people multiply by 0.75 or a woman; X 1.35. If he tells you that on the internet multiply by 0.45. And since this forum is smarter then the average forum you would have to keep the multiplier secret and artificially lower it knowing they know that you know etc etc. On that note my IQ is like 350.  :bullshit:

So 135.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: What do you think the average IQ of this forum is?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 04:36:11 pm »
The average IQ will be around 100. Take any reasonably large group without a hard externally applied bias, even one with an intellectual skill at its core, and the average will still be around 100.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:41:56 pm by coppice »

The following users thanked this post: mathsquid, CNe7532294

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 04:42:26 pm »
Whatever it is, I bring it down.
I'm electronically illiterate

The following users thanked this post: odessa, SeanB, jancumps, ncoonrod14, Yansi, imidis, james_s, Electro Detective, CNe7532294

Offline ucanel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 04:50:04 pm »
%35 110~130 %14 130~140   %01 140~140+
%35 110~130 %14 100~110   %01 100~100-

Average 120 IQ on any good technical forum.
%15 of the earth population has below 80 IQ.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 05:18:54 pm »
I think this one is above 100 due to the fact that the subject matter acts a filter. If you want to see some just mind bogglingly stupid people watch some of the videos people have made on bitcoins and bitconnect and read the comments. Same is true with some political sites by the usual suspects. I find the crypto videos fascinating because they tell you everything not to do and give you a feel for who is buying your crypto when you sell at insane prices. There is this one youtuber that says in a uneducated accent "I'm not a dumbass." And I laughed so hard because he really believes that, it was a textbook example of the "dunning-kruger(sp?)" effect: too stupid to realize you are stupid. By the way that guy doesn't make videos anymore because if he did what he said he was going to he has lost most if not all of his money by now and too proud to admit it. There was no excuse because almost all the comments told him not to do this and yet he called them stupid.

It would be cool if we could post an anonymous IQ test that gave you an average.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 05:21:39 pm »
https://thetab.com/us/2017/04/10/which-major-has-highest-iq-64811

EE Students have an average IQ of 125. This is an open forum, and some non-EE people are joining, who are still very talented and intelligent, dont get me wrong.
Also, very intelligent people dont have the time to hang around here, because they are busy doing stuff.
And the less talented people are usually dont post on forums, because they are usually busy banging rocks together or ru(i)nning countries.
And when people talk about 130+ IQs, I usually laugh. Standard IQ test are not capable predicting IQ in the 130+ or the 70- region, because it has way too few questions and the accuracy is very small in that region, due to the small amount of test takers landing there. Anyone with high IQ understands that.
So, next time say somewhere in the 130-140 region, not 135.

Also, average IQ is NOT 100. In the 1920s when the tests were standardized in the UK, France and USA, they set up scores so the test takers would score around 100. Today the average word IQ is around 91 and it has much more to do with poverty and childhood diseases, than continent or racial group.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 05:23:23 pm »
So what the IQ measures except the proficiency in IQ-test.  ???

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 05:30:03 pm »

EE Students have an average IQ of 125. This is an open forum, and some non-EE people are joining, who are still very talented and intelligent, dont get me wrong.
Also, very intelligent people dont have the time to hang around here, because they are busy doing stuff.
And the less talented people are usually dont post on forums, because they are usually busy banging rocks together or ru(i)nning countries.
And when people talk about 130+ IQs, I usually laugh. Standard IQ test are not capable predicting IQ in the 130+ or the 70- region, because it has way too few questions and the accuracy is very small in that region, due to the small amount of test takers landing there. Anyone with high IQ understands that.

Also, average IQ is NOT 100. In the 1920s when the tests were standardized in the UK, France and USA, they set up scores so the test takers would score around 100. Today the average word IQ is around 91 and it has much more to do with poverty and childhood diseases, than continent or racial group.
Makes sense I have scored a near perfect score on some tests so I'm just speculating; you can't measure 4 feet perfectly with a yard stick. I think this culture of giving everyone an A+ is actually making people not use their mind to its full potential. Rather then make something work they just go ask the smart people because it's easier. That only works if there are smart people around so it forces the smartest to think harder and get furthur ahead.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 05:33:19 pm »
I think this one is above 100 due to the fact that the subject matter acts a filter. If you want to see some just mind bogglingly stupid people watch some of the videos people have made on bitcoins and bitconnect and read the comments. Same is true with some political sites by the usual suspects. I find the crypto videos fascinating because they tell you everything not to do and give you a feel for who is buying your crypto when you sell at insane prices. There is this one youtuber that says in a uneducated accent "I'm not a dumbass." And I laughed so hard because he really believes that, it was a textbook example of the "dunning-kruger(sp?)" effect: too stupid to realize you are stupid. By the way that guy doesn't make videos anymore because if he did what he said he was going to he has lost most if not all of his money by now and too proud to admit it. There was no excuse because almost all the comments told him not to do this and yet he called them stupid.

It would be cool if we could post an anonymous IQ test that gave you an average.
I suppose you do realise that at least a part of the explanation for the Dunning-Kruger effect is people mistaking anecdotes for patterns of behaviour?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 05:38:50 pm »
It might not be extremely accurate estimate of capabilities in certain area but it sure exposes dumbasses you would not ever want to hire. <80 IQ means that one cannot be teached to do even simplest jobs. Such person will have issues to learn folding a sheet of paper, not to say incapable working at McDonalds.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 05:43:31 pm »
It might not be extremely accurate estimate of capabilities in certain area but it sure exposes dumbasses you would not ever want to hire. <80 IQ means that one cannot be teached to do even simplest jobs. Such person will have issues to learn folding a sheet of paper, not to say incapable working at McDonalds.
So the same result as filling the IQ-test would be achieved by just observing how the person folds the question paper.  :P

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 06:13:40 pm »

The following users thanked this post: mathsquid, Red Squirrel, Ampera, newbrain, cgroen, abraxa, frozenfrogz

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 06:16:58 pm »
The average IQ will be around 100. Take any reasonably large group, even one with an intellectual skill at its core, and the average will still be around 100.

Not if there is a selection bias in operation. For instance, the average IQ of university students is often quoted as something in the range 120-130. The group 'university students' is large, much larger than the group 'EEVBlog members', and by your thesis ought to come out at an IQ of 100, but does not because there is a selection bias inherent in 'university students'.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 06:33:31 pm »

Exactly. There are those of us with an "IQ"...and those of us who have taken the red pill. :P

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 06:34:37 pm »

Actually the standard IQ tests are calibrated* out to 4 standard deviations. For Wechsler the standard deviation is 15, for Stanford-Binet it is 16. Those are the two most commonly used standard tests. So scores of 135 are well defined in both scales (Wechsler + 2.33 SD, Stanford-Binet +2.19 SD, both equating roughly to the 99%ile).

My understanding is that IQ scores have been increasing with time, not decreasing - the exact opposite of what you claim. It's well enough documented that it has a name the Flynn effect.

*I do mean calibrated. The tests are given to a large population and then the scores are normalized so that the median score is equated with an IQ of 100 and the spread fits a normal distribution with the design SD of the IQ scale in question.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2018, 06:35:34 pm »
The average IQ will be around 100. Take any reasonably large group, even one with an intellectual skill at its core, and the average will still be around 100.

Not if there is a selection bias in operation. For instance, the average IQ of university students is often quoted as something in the range 120-130. The group 'university students' is large, much larger than the group 'EEVBlog members', and by your thesis ought to come out at an IQ of 100, but does not because there is a selection bias inherent in 'university students'.
I poorly worded what I said. A hard selection will bias the average IQ. 120-130 for university students seemly optimistically high, in an age when so many go to university. I suspect that is a historical figure. It should be well above 100, though.

EEVblog membership has not particular IQ bias for its membership. It is selected by area of interest, and electronics interests people across a wide IQ spectrum.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:42:59 pm by coppice »

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 06:40:45 pm »

My understanding is that IQ scores have been increasing with time, not decreasing - the exact opposite of what you claim. It's well enough documented that it has a name the Flynn effect.
I think those with a reasonable IQ would see no internal conflict in what NANDBlog said there. Hint: He said 100 in 1920 for one population group, and 91 now for another.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 07:01:46 pm »
I've not had a formal IQ test since I was a child in the 1960's. I suppose my SAT results could be used as an indicator also. Who knows if I still have all those brain cells today.

However, simple IQ doesn't say much about ones maturity, motivation, education, interests, wisdom, opportunities or experience.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 07:10:06 pm »

I think those with a reasonable IQ would see no internal conflict in what NANDBlog said there. Hint: He said 100 in 1920 for one population group, and 91 now for another.

Those with an adequate IQ would nevertheless realize that both points are at variance with the facts.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 07:27:30 pm »

I suppose you do realise that at least a part of the explanation for the Dunning-Kruger effect is people mistaking anecdotes for patterns of behaviour?

David packman does an interview with one of the people that made the "DK" effect theory and he asks them are we all susceptible to it? As in can we learn not to fall for it or will everyone who is not infinitely smart be susceptible to it to some extent? There wasn't a definitive answer. I think that for some people it's bad like certain political leaders. For other people it maybe negligible but not zero. An anecdote is a behavior, only way to test would be look at all the anecdotes and see if you can make a pattern mathematically. That introduces its own set of problems.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 07:28:13 pm »

Actually the standard IQ tests are calibrated* out to 4 standard deviations. For Wechsler the standard deviation is 15, for Stanford-Binet it is 16. Those are the two most commonly used standard tests. So scores of 135 are well defined in both scales (Wechsler + 2.33 SD, Stanford-Binet +2.19 SD, both equating roughly to the 99%ile).

*I do mean calibrated. The tests are given to a large population and then the scores are normalized so that the median score is equated with an IQ of 100 and the spread fits a normal distribution with the design SD of the IQ scale in question.
Yes, there are tests designed to work for high deviation from normal. The test at Mensa for example would be good to measure in the 100-150 region. The typical 20-30 question test is good for the 70-130 region. Simply because having a brainfart during answering a question would place you 5 points below your actual. Therfore if you only did a simple test, which gives you a 135 point, you could be anywhere between 130 and 170.

I'm well aware of the Flynn effect. It is valid for a 1st word country. World average is slowly declining though, because of world demographics and poverty. I (and you and others posting here) grew up with a large library of books, good education, well stimulating environment. Meanwhile millions of people are born and raised, who spend their childhood playing with sticks in the dirt, and having food every other day. If only we could do something about it...

Online Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 07:38:29 pm »
There is this one youtuber that says in a uneducated accent "I'm not a dumbass."

There is a guy I see at the rugby who has a very broad West Country accent - he sounds like a farmer.

He is a noted professor of archeology with an international reputation.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 07:51:01 pm »

IQ and country also have some correlation with regards to the mean: https://iq-research.info/en/average-iq-by-country

Also I was watching some Jordan Peterson videos the other day, and one of this lectures were also on IQ:

I poorly worded what I said. A hard selection will bias the average IQ. 120-130 for university students seemly optimistically high, in an age when so many go to university. I suspect that is a historical figure. It should be well above 100, though.

EEVblog membership has not particular IQ bias for its membership. It is selected by area of interest, and electronics interests people across a wide IQ spectrum.

The average IQ of graduate students in engineering is about 125: http://www.randalolson.com/2014/06/25/average-iq-of-students-by-college-major-and-gender-ratio/
(Theoretical) physics and mathematics is pretty much the high end of IQ in graduate programs, which is perhaps not discussed here at all though.

However I personally think that a forum like EEVblog will score above average. I think having an interest in technology and how the world works "beats" many other people even if electronics is just a recreational hobby. It doesn't have to be your job , because that could be decided on many other things, including your fortune in youth (US college = expensive), stress tolerance, area, etc.

But it is proven that there is a significant positive correlation between IQ and chosen college major (e.g. engineering vs psychology), then I think it is fair to suggest that a similar correlation could exist between IQ and chosen hobbies/interests.

The following users thanked this post: Galenbo

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 07:57:10 pm »
Meanwhile millions of people are born and raised, who spend their childhood playing with sticks in the dirt, and having food every other day. If only we could do something about it...
Well playing with sticks and dirt can and will be more stimulating for the brains than playing ping-pong on tablet. :)

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2018, 07:58:27 pm »

Yes, there are tests designed to work for high deviation from normal. The test at Mensa for example would be good to measure in the 100-150 region. The typical 20-30 question test is good for the 70-130 region. Simply because having a brainfart during answering a question would place you 5 points below your actual. Therfore if you only did a simple test, which gives you a 135 point, you could be anywhere between 130 and 170.

Ah, that is not an IQ test, it's a quiz. Proper IQ tests are generally invigilated one-to-one, and even include recording of the times it takes you to complete some tasks like sorting things into proper order (the Stanford-Binet certainly does). These are not "tests designed to [especially] work for high deviation from normal" they are the basic IQ tests used for day-to-day work by educational psychologists the world over.

If one has been given a 20-30 question "IQ test" the results aren't merely good to 135 (or whatever), they're of little or no use at all.

Unfortunately it's hard to find a example of a 'proper' IQ test. They are revised comparatively rarely and an enormous amount of work goes into standardizing and validating them. For example the Stanford-Binet was created in 1916, and revised in 1937, 1973, 1986 and 2003. Needless to say, you can only take a particular version of the test once and, just like ordinary exam papers, the test is not generally available so it's very hard to look at one to get a feel for what they really look like.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf