Author Topic: What do you use - prototyping.  (Read 10761 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: What do you use - prototyping.
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 11:30:58 pm »
Conductive ink printer could be an interesting thing at a low price (if the technology is useful, prices might come down eventually).

Still, it mentions:
~5 USD
Board cost.

I'm not sure how this compares with the cheapest Chinese fab house (for those that can wait up to a few weeks), but I understand that even more expensive - but rapid - could be worth a lot for some people in some cases. I don't even know much much the current home etching methods cost per board.

I am not sure how the process is better than "home etching" from an ease-of-use or productivity perspective.

Home etching costs peanuts, but you do have to make the effort to get your process to work, and expect plenty of failures to get to that process, just make sure you document what works, and possibly more importantly what doesn't. Keeping to the same recipe is an extraordinarily good idea. Using different stock, in particular changing you pre-sensitised boards, or chemical mix/dilution, is not a good idea. I do my own etching sporadically, I can go weeks without needing to do a quick board then suddenly I might do a dozen in a couple of days, but it took quite some weeks if not months to get my process to work.

For the avoidance of doubt, my process very closely follows Mike's (http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/pcbs.html), but I "discovered" it without prior knowledge, I just did self-learning. What is nonsense and a waste of money for kitchen table etching are bubble tanks. Use your eyes and learn, bubble tanks will just get in the way. Plastic take-away containers are designed for the purpose ;-)

As a tool, what is very useful for any prototyping is a decent PCB guillotine, and while they're not cheap, my they're handy, way more useful than any bubble tank.

Offline BenKenobiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 11:52:57 pm »
Used to do a similar thing when I had a darkroom - digital is so much less hassle.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 12:45:01 am »
I'm using first a breadboard, then a piece of PCB inside a cardboard box to prototype.  I can then write all the pertinent notes on the outside or inside. I dont route the wires in from the top, I cut holes for them and use dip sockets and plugs which I already have.

This is new but for a long time Ive used home-made cardboard boxes to enclose projects. With RF sometimes you have to have a snug case, this is easier to get right with copper coated cardboard or foam core than anything else.

I've often tried to use metal cases but just couldn't do what I wanted to do so ended up back with cardboard and copper and foam core..

I've used foam core for antennas too.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 12:52:42 am »
I'm using first a breadboard, then a piece of PCB inside a cardboard box to prototype.  I can then write all the pertinent notes on the outside or inside. I dont route the wires in from the top, I cut holes for them and use dip sockets and plugs which I already have.

This is new but for a long time Ive used home-made cardboard boxes to enclose projects. With RF sometimes you have to have a snug case, this is easier to get right with copper coated cardboard or foam core than anything else.

I've often tried to use metal cases but just couldn't do what I wanted to do so ended up back with cardboard and copper and foam core..

I've used foam core for antennas too.

Cardboard boxes sounds great for prototyping. Have you posted an image of such a project?

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 12:55:20 am »
Copper clad board and Veroboard for me. I have a few breadboards but don't get on with them too well - always seem to get bad connections, perhaps I should invest in better quality ones :-)  I use a 3D printer for most temporary boxes because it's so easy to design and print something that fits near exact.

ChrisH

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 01:51:55 am »
Mostly bread boards for small stuff and crocodile clips for bigger stuff.  For more permanent stuff I'll use perf board.  I have not gotten into any complex projects or SMD stuff yet, but once I do I will probably build my own break out boards to combine certain things together into some break out boards.   

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 05:01:18 am »
I don't do a lot of high frequency stuff but I am experiencing the shortcomings in breadboard use, I find the soldering up of stuff a hassle - and I always muck it up.

I marvel at how tidy some people seem able to work but I have problems transferring schematic to reality so I tend to breadboard a lot.

I have used Vero but I find the copper tracks very limiting and end up cutting tracks and putting jumpers all over the place and it is useless for anything with an IC or two, I've had some that wouldn't take solder readily.

I use Express Schematic and Express PCB to help me lay out prototypes on 0.1 inch through hole board with individual plated holes, not strip board. Once you reach a certain level of complexity and number of components, I can't imagine trying to lay it out as you solder.

The up-down left-right square grid does eventually become limiting for space, density and routing options, but it should suffice for many projects which can be put into use as is.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 07:09:45 am »
Used to do a similar thing when I had a darkroom - digital is so much less hassle.

You don’t need a darkroom. Use decent pre-sensitised boards and peel off the protective backing just before you place them in the UV box. As long as you’re not leaving the boards out a long time unprotected or outside in direct sunlight, normal office or domestic lighting isn’t a problem.

While I understand the retiscence around the chemicals, once you have your process it’s quick and reasonably simple. Just don’t let the ferric chloride near stainless steel kitchen sink, or conduct operations in your formal wear, or you’ll have some explaining to do.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 07:11:55 am »
Good advice. My wife hasn’t forgiven me for wrecking the nice porcelain kitchen sink with ferric chloride yet.  >:D

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 07:37:42 am »
Good advice. My wife hasn’t forgiven me for wrecking the nice porcelain kitchen sink with ferric chloride yet.  >:D

Old timers remember why most people swapped to stainless steel sinks as fast as possible. And it wasn't just because of our type of activity :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2017, 07:55:52 am »
Yes she dropped a glass in it a week after she mandated that it was installed and they installed it. Big crack. Looks like shit now.

Plastic trays for this stuff. I’m a fan of the Poundland Tupperware boxes. They also won’t melt if you’re doing an IPA wash.

Online woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 08:09:05 am »
Using a breadboard for the first tinkering, then a cnc mill to make a working prototype. The advantage is speed; the disadvantage is that you often have to redesign the board to make the final pcb. This due to the fact that thru-holing, vias and very fine tracks are unfeasable. But for simple one-offs a mill is quite usable.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 08:44:30 am »
Plastic trays for this stuff. I’m a fan of the Poundland Tupperware boxes. They also won’t melt if you’re doing an IPA wash.

Oh yes indeed. They come in so many sizes that they can be used for just about anything.

But I do find the cheap ones are more brittle than desirable.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 09:06:04 am »
What is kind of clear here is that there really isn't what I'd describe as an 'elegant' solution for this, that the more complex 'packaged IC' components get, the higher the frequencies get that the prototyping methods become really challenging.

I'm not dead against chemicals but I can be a real clumsy doofus with such stuff, I know the IPA story well having had the bottom drop out of a container whilst washing something - on the dining room table.

I like the idea of breakout boards for the SMD packages, I think I'll make sure to add an extra package for the making of these as I go.

I think some of the techniques used by you guys are a little tricky for one like me who lacks all the experience in build and layout strategies that you probably take for granted, I really need to force myself to learn some PCB layout stuff but I'm just not the artistic type so I struggle a lot with it.

Please keep the ideas coming, perhaps a eureka moment will occur ...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 09:32:36 am »
What is kind of clear here is that there really isn't what I'd describe as an 'elegant' solution for this, that the more complex 'packaged IC' components get, the higher the frequencies get that the prototyping methods become really challenging.

For theory, concentrate on the physics of the inductance of a wire (start with 1nH/mm) including the wires "inside" SMD capacitors (>1mm long!), the current needed to charge a load capacitance during the switching/transition time, and hence the voltage induced across a wireinductor. Then you will realise why short connections are essential!

For practical construction of medium frequencies (up to UHF), see how radio hams do it. Note particularly the use of ground planes.

I like the idea of breakout boards for the SMD packages, I think I'll make sure to add an extra package for the making of these as I go.

I think some of the techniques used by you guys are a little tricky for one like me who lacks all the experience in build and layout strategies that you probably take for granted, I really need to force myself to learn some PCB layout stuff but I'm just not the artistic type so I struggle a lot with it.

Bugger artistry; physics is all that counts in this context! Short leads. Ground planes.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2017, 10:14:00 am »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:15:55 am by bd139 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2017, 10:56:05 am »
Happy days - that put a light on - that pad idea looks really usable .. off to buy some stuff - I'll experiment with that method for sure. You could even layer that with standoffs.

Rqd 1 Nibbler, 1 PCB shear, materials, new soldering station ... update - ouch - how much is a PCB shear  :o anybody got a secondhand one taking up too much space ..

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:58:08 am by BenKenobi »

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2017, 11:07:47 am »
I usually am too lazy not to be using solderless breadboards and stripboards.

But, where signal routing matters (because there is hundreds of amps of current flowing or there are nasty dU/dt and/or dI/dt signal change rates --especially when dt is of the order of tens of nanoseconds) I do not hesitate to make prototyping PCBs --even at home, by messing with fine transparency printed films, Positive photoresist sprays and FeCl3 on FR4 copper clads.

For example, this is my latest design of a voltage-doubler lead-acid batteries desulfator:

PCB layout.jpg

Runtime.jpg

About.jpg

And, since I am not satisfied with the real life performance of the voltage-doubler prototype, I'm now back to the drawing board for a voltage-tripler version of it, or even for one with an uCU controlled >50V voltage-booster on board...

-George
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 11:13:03 am »
Happy days - that put a light on - that pad idea looks really usable .. off to buy some stuff - I'll experiment with that method for sure. You could even layer that with standoffs.

Rqd 1 Nibbler, 1 PCB shear, materials, new soldering station ... update - ouch - how much is a PCB shear  :o anybody got a secondhand one taking up too much space ..

I use a Stanley knife to cut the main board. Score both sides for a bit then it’ll snap cleanly. The 0.8mm strips you can cut with a pair of aviation shears pretty easily. I usually cut them into strips then skip off bits with aviation shears as and when I need them.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 11:16:59 am »
Nice PDF on it here: http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~pharden/hobby/HG-MANHAT1.pdf and here: http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~pharden/hobby/HG-MANHAT2.pdf
Quick excerpt:
(omitted for brevity)

I don't like the "gnd bus" in that particular example: it is only attached (inductively) to the plane at a single point. Why not use the ground plane directly, and completely omit the gnd bus? Fig 13 looks much cleaner in that respect.

Nonetheless, those articles are informative and a good starting point.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2017, 11:19:01 am »
Mainly because you have to tombstone the SMD parts to get them on the ground plane and conductors.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 11:24:21 am »
Mainly because you have to tombstone the SMD parts to get them on the ground plane and conductors.

Prettier or electrically better: your choice. Fig 11 would be better if the gnd bus was soldered to the plane along the bus' length, not at a single point.

But there are alternatives: double sided PCB with one side a plane, and the other side "milled with a dremel".

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2017, 11:34:12 am »
What about matrix board ?

I didn't pick that up on the circuit shown re the ground but yes since it is on a copper sheet aka ground plane why not go direct - I thought this was the idea.

On the desulphation project take care - excessive constant voltages on 'gel' type or glass mat batteries will not have the effect you expect, the battery will be effectively trashed if you're not careful. Such methods only work on 'liquid' lead acids because the liquid can carry stuff away from the plate more readily. For Gels and AGM's you need to consider pulsing, raise the voltage yes but do not apply it constantly to such a battery or the gas builds faster than it can dissipate / the cells overheat - the result is never good.

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2017, 11:50:24 am »
[...]
On the desulphation project take care - excessive constant voltages on 'gel' type or glass mat batteries will not have the effect you expect, the battery will be effectively trashed if you're not careful. Such methods only work on 'liquid' lead acids because the liquid can carry stuff away from the plate more readily. For Gels and AGM's you need to consider pulsing, raise the voltage yes but do not apply it constantly to such a battery or the gas builds faster than it can dissipate / the cells overheat - the result is never good.
That's correct!

On the flooded and glass-mat type lead-acid batteries you can do whatever you want to do, if and only if you are also monitoring their temperature changing rate. On the other hand, on the gel types you must be very careful with each pulse energy amount because you do not want to create (permanent) gas bubbles into the gel electrolyte polymer films that exist between their electrode plates. Thus the instantaneous (<0.5-10us max.) strikes of ~500A intended pulses, strictly depended on the procedure statistics by the uCU that creates them (meaning the length and the frequency of the pulses).

-George
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:52:33 am by A Hellene »
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2017, 07:33:23 pm »
Well I've just added another project to my winter list ...

A 3 Axis DIY CNC Router / Mill / Engraving machine - can cut out tracks and such from copper coated boards.

Several interesting projects in one - building, coding, PCB design / production, and my favourite puzzle - debugging ....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf