Author Topic: What does a kw/h cost in your area?  (Read 8939 times)

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
What does a kw/h cost in your area?
« on: August 27, 2017, 09:56:45 pm »
In New England USA its $0.25 USD because of all the storms we have (fixing ice storms). Further down the coast it drops down to ) $0.08.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: What does a kw/h cost in your area?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 10:08:50 pm »
Natural gas export is going to dramatically increase the price of electricity and of course also natural gas in the US. (Electricity prices "track natural gas prices" nationwide, according to the LA Times) Nobody knows how much but it could be a LOT because exporting natural gas was banned since the 1970s, so its a very big change.

Something similar happened in Australia a few years ago but it was not because of a trade deal, it was because of new facilities that were built which made it possible.

Australia, being sunnier and having less cold winters, was able to use solar power to fill in some of the loss, it seems.

Its very hard to say how much prices will rise. Higher wholesale prices elsewhere are not the exact same as prices here because the cost of transport is substantial. But prices here may as much as double and then continue moving upward, depending on how much people can generate themselves with solar - as well as cut consumption.

Its possible that some industries may not be able to continue to operate if energy becomes much more expensive.

I think that's possible, but luckily energy costs are not the highest cost for most industries..

Many energy costs have been generally higher elsewhere for some time, especially with gasoline, but in other countries, other costs like health care and education have been much lower.

A substantial number of Europeans are perpetually in debt to their local energy utility. That may happen here, and it will occur at the same time other prices, like health insurance, prescription drugs and rents are also rising.

This shift would be locked in by writing energy export into the TTIP trade deal (also known as Tafta)

The price is three to five times higher in some other countries than it is here.

No matter what the alleged trigger is, once the export begins, and a commodity becomes tradeable, WTO rules and jurisdiction kicks in and they may also require we export it to the highest bidder until its gone, according to the Peterson Institute.

Asia, for example has an insatiable appetite for energy.
Spot prices there are much higher than in the US.

This change will also enable a lot of older housing stock to be declared blighted, opening the door to massive real estate development under eminent domain laws- as older "obsolete" buildings are replaced with new. ("redevelopment") 

They can actually do that on a huge scale now even when the motive is simply profit, and getting more tax receipts by replacing working people with richer people.

Lots of people will have to move. Where? Its going to be a major disaster for poor and middle class people who live in cities who have to re-rent at market rates. Many people who live in cities dont drive so suburbia isnt the option for them it is for others. To keep jobs many might have to commute many hours to and from work. This is already happening in San Francisco Bay Area as huge numbers of people have been forced outward, many as far as Central Valley cities like Stockton. More than a two hour commute each way.

TPTBs like these trade deals because it "takes it out of their hands", making it so they can do an end run around democracy, "forever". 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:58:39 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline A@ron

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 10:10:09 pm »
Here in NE Indiana it's $0.086 / kWh prior to all the taxes and fees.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 10:18:06 pm »
In northern Germany I pay 21.2 Euro Cents per kw/h
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 10:27:26 pm »
Currently 0.23 nzd/kwh + 0.84 nzd/day  (about 0.17 USD kwh + 0.61 USD/day)
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 10:34:31 pm »
Supplier: Contact Energy.

$0.262/kWh plus $1.299/day.

22% discount for paying on line and on time.

Actual is $0.204/kWh plus $1.013/day

Edit: Above figures are NZD
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:58:49 pm by Mr.B »
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline jordanp123

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 11:24:03 pm »
$11 Service charge/Monthly then $.087/Kwh, that does not include any "Riders" and fuel adjustments.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 11:26:36 pm »
I'm paying something like AUD$0.22/kWh in Sydney.

Offline Homer J Simpson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 11:27:41 pm »
Near Olympia, WA

$10 / month basic charge.

.10 up to 600.

.12 over 600.

Offline Jr460

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 11:29:13 pm »
$.0829 in Southwest Ohio

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 11:52:00 pm »
if I got the exchange rate right around $0.40

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 12:25:35 am »
British Columbia residential rates:
 step1 $0.0829  (0.066 us$) /kW.h     step2: $0.1287 (0.103 us$) /kW.h

step 1 is 22.1918 kW.h per day or 1350 kWh averaged over 2 month billing period
oops forgot basic fixed charge $0.1899/ day and 5% G.S.T federal general services tax

The exchange rate value for $cad has just gone up recently, didn't know. Now I need to buy stuff on ebay
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:07:35 am by chickenHeadKnob »

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 12:34:01 am »
On an electric cooperative in Montana:

Basic Charge (Single Phase Service): $23.21/mo.
Energy Charge:
    $0.0649/kWh (for first 600 kWh/mo.)
    $0.0799/kWh (for 601-3,500 kWh/mo.)
    $0.1166/kWh (for 3,501 and over kWh/mo.)
Since the co-op is non-profit, there is usually an annual rebate of between 2 to 3 months basic charge

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 01:05:24 am »
Electricity costs are hidden now. $15 in electricity becomes a $111 bill in Alberta.
kw/h pretty much meaningless because it's all "distribution charges, transmission charges, deferral fees, administration fees, balancing pool allocation rider" etc.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 01:07:37 am »
Electricity costs are hidden now. $15 in electricity becomes a $111 bill in Alberta.
kw/h pretty much meaningless because it's all "distribution charges, transmission charges, deferral fees, administration fees, balancing pool allocation rider" etc.

I just approximate it by using what I pay divided by kWh consumed which comes out to like 0.24$
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 01:28:18 am »
My other question I forgot to ask:

Are you buying direct off the power company (PSNH) in NH or one of these new degregulated companies that promise to save you money but its BS because now you have a middle man between you and your power. I really want to find if customers hve been saving with these new plans so if you are on one tell us about the weird quarks and features of it like contracts and insane late fees.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 01:57:06 am »
UK here, leccy is 16p/kWh with a 16.4p daily charge, and gas 3.6p/kWh with 21.9p daily charge.

in USD $0.21/kWh electric and $0.05/kWh gas.

Yes I have a gas cooker and combi-boiler.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 04:47:54 am »
Taiwan, so far $0.13/kWh USD.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 05:07:50 am »
BC rates have already been posted but it would also be interesting to hear what people end up paying per month(or post your rate and average usage). I average about $75.00 CAD/month(about 60 USD at current exchange rates).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:27:07 am by TheSteve »
VE7FM

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 05:50:49 am »
UK for me 0.4$USD/Kwh on a quarterly cash basis.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 07:21:05 am »
...but it would also be interesting to hear what people end up paying per month...

Average per month:
NZD300
~USD217

Here is the kicker... That does not include hot water or cooking - we have gas for those.
Gas bill is about NZD110 per month (USD79)

Big energy consumers are probably:
Spa pool heating, Swimming pool filter pump, 2 old Dell servers, 2 large tropical fish tanks and a daughter.

Time for me to initiate a "Where is all my energy being burned" audit me thinks...
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 07:54:11 am »
Yes, the Spa costs a fortune to run, but it is my Wifes little indulgence, so I would not dare go there...
I know Nelson is not as hot as some parts of Aus, but coming home form work in the summer and taking the plunge is just pure relaxation...
We are due for a server refresh at work, so the obsolete ones from work will be a lot more energy efficient compared to the ones I am running that were decommissioned 5 years ago - therefore 10 years old.
In fairness they earn a few dollars to pay for themselves anyway.
Yes, aware that the "line costs" will never decrease.
I currently get a 22% discount from my supply authority. Made up of: On line and on time, along with a 20 year loyalty discount.
We have been progressively replacing lighting with LED only and trying to do other stuff.
I just need to do a full audit to fully understand where the big ticket items are... And then do something about them.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 08:00:49 am »
Around 0.20€ including taxes. We use gas for hot water and cooking, although we do have 2 small AC units in the bedrooms.

I wonder what kind of connection people have when everything is electric? We only have 1x35A (230V), it can be upgraded to 3x35A. Still seems a bit marginal, I assume you use boilers and heatpumps then? Our gas heater has a peak output power of roughly 30kW.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 09:01:54 am »
Actually just reviewing my last bill (which has the new pricing as of July this year). The standard energy rate for Sydney, AU is 32.098c/kWh (including taxes) but I effectively pay 22.468c/kWh with all applied discounts through my particular reseller/plan. This is not taking into account the 12.5c/kWh I feed back into the grid with my solar array, so that lowers the bill again.

I also worked out that just by decommissioning an old Dell server in my rack which runs 24/7 and doesn't really do much any more saves me ~$100 per quarter (it uses about 206 watts just idling). $1.11 per day doesn't sound like much, but as wilfred said above, it adds up and that's just ONE machine.

I just measured the consumption of my desktop PC (without monitor) and to leave that idling when I'm not using it consumes about 120 watts. Just shutting that down and waiting a few minutes for it to boot when I need to use it would save me another $50/qtr.

With just those two machines alone, that's at least $600 a year I was paying (up until today!)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:19:50 am by Halcyon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf