Author Topic: What does a kw/h cost in your area?  (Read 8931 times)

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
Re: What does a kw/h cost in your area?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 09:11:20 am »
In Adelaide, South Australia, 41c/kWh, feed in 11c/kWh.
Thankfully we have gas on-demand hot water.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 09:22:35 am »
0,3426257 €/kWh
Or about 0.407 USD/KWh.
I'm buying 100% renewable. It costs more. I dont care.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 12:26:43 pm »
In New England USA its $0.25 USD because of all the storms we have (fixing ice storms). Further down the coast it drops down to ) $0.08.

It's actually quite difficult to find the price of electricity here in Moscow. I think it's about US$0.05, but in fact it's almost irrelevant as most people use electricity only for lighting and fridge and computer/TV and maybe some AC in mid June to mid August. I average about 250 kWh per month (8 per day), so it's something like US$12 or so. I just give my landlord 2000 rubles (US$35) a month to cover electricity and hot and cold water (kitchen/bathroom) so I don't have to bother with it. I think he probably makes a profit from this. Heating in the winter (via hot water radiators) is always just included in the rent.

Back at home in New Zealand, you can see the the current wholesale electricity prices at any substation in NZ at any time (in 5 or 30 minute intervals) at https://www1.electricityinfo.co.nz/. There exist retail electricity companies (e.g. https://www.flickelectric.co.nz/) that charge you the average wholesale price in each half hour period, plus a fixed margin. The wholesale price at your local substation is generally around 8c - 10c (US $0.06 - $0.07), while the retail price is more like 25c - 30c.

MOST of the cost of electricity in NZ is in the last km or two of wiring from the local substation to your house. This, quite coincidentally I'm sure, is the only part of the electricity system that is a regulated monopoly, with prices determined not by the market but by the companies making more or less plausible pleading to politicians for why they need so much of our money.

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 12:31:21 pm »
We actually looked this up during lunch just today. About 25 eurocents/KWh if my memory serves me right.
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 12:53:59 pm »
Electricity prices in Serbia for domestic use are well below average in Europe, commercial consumers have higher prices. Basically the electrical production is almost completely state owned and subsidized, keeping the prices low, and although everyone know it should be higher, for cheap political reasons it's still maintained that way. But what they lose here they try to make up in gas price taxes, while the environment for private sector and the improvement of the production in the state owned plants remains poor.

Green zone (up to 350 kWh/mo): 0.058 USD +20%VAT      savings tariff* 0.015 USD +20%$ VAT

Blue zone (351-1600 kWh/mo):    0.088 USD +20%VAT      savings tariff* 0.022 USD +20%$ VAT.

Red zone (over 1600 kWh/mo):     0.175 USD +20%VAT      savings tariff* 0.044 USD +20%$ VAT.

*savings tariff varies from region to region, and where available is usually a period during the night hours (e.g. Belgrade 0:00-8:00am).

And yes, I know several people with mining rigs.

Online schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 01:16:36 pm »
In South Texas about US$0.13/Kw-Hr, plus a fixed connection charge.

All sales-taxed, of course.

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 03:54:56 pm »
No sales tax in Oregon, but plenty of other items to confuse the customer. No warnings about danger of cancer or electrocution. Yet.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2017, 03:59:06 pm »
No sales tax in Oregon, but plenty of other items to confuse the customer. No warnings about danger of cancer or electrocution. Yet.
WARNING: Electricity contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

The following users thanked this post: Connoiseur

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 06:03:20 pm »
My other question I forgot to ask:

Are you buying direct off the power company (PSNH) in NH or one of these new degregulated companies that promise to save you money but its BS because now you have a middle man between you and your power. I really want to find if customers hve been saving with these new plans so if you are on one tell us about the weird quarks and features of it like contracts and insane late fees.

I always buy directly off the source. Those electricity salesman get a lecture on the horrors of deregulation and what happened in south America when the deregulated the water. People were paying 80% of their income to the water company. The hidden costs are late fees and canceling your contract. To pay a late fee off the supplier will cost a dollar or two a month. Many poor people are constantly a month behind. These companies will charge 5 to 10 a month just in late fees totally dissolving the 3-4$ you save by switching. How does adding a middleman who getting rich actually save the consumer? That money comes from somewhere and that some where is the end user. How people don't get that boggles my mind.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2017, 06:51:47 pm »
Southern Oregon.

Rates are complicated mishmash of base charges, delivery charges, fixed prices and fuel cost related prices.  According to the power company it is supposed to come out to about $0.10/kWh for the first 1000 kWh and $0.12/kWh for usage above that.  Dividing my bill by usage gives a bit over $0.11 with average usage of 1300 kWh. 

That runs everything, the well which pumps all domestic and irrigation water (big hitter), refrigerator and freezer (next in line), stoves, lighting, lathes, compressors, table saws and the lot.  Then only thing non-electric here is a kerosene heater and the wood stoves.

Air conditioning would be a big driver, and was in a recent record setting hot stretch, but we really minimize its use.  During the hot stretch it added over 200 kWh and $30 to the bill.

The attached plot shows that there is no simple relationship between usage and rate.  Somewhere near $0.11/kWh is about the best you can say.

Online Miyuki

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me on youtube
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2017, 08:00:14 pm »
Here in hearth of Europe I pay:
0.23 $/kWh / 0.195€/kWh
plus
~11$ / 9€ montly

taxes included

Offline WA1ICI

• Contributor
    • One Electron
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2017, 11:38:01 pm »
Location here is in northern Nevada, power company is NV Energy, formerly Sierra Pacific Power.

My latest bill for August was 1440 kWH, total US$149.15.  This comes out to $0.104 per kWH, including overhead.  The incremental cost per kWH is $0.08822.

My heating/cooling system is an in-ground "geo-source" heat pump system.  It doesn't work too hard in the summer, but in the winter, my power bill more than doubles (about 3750 kWH/month in Jan. and Feb.).

The utility-supplied "power content label" show origin of the power here:

Coal - 16.77%
Natural Gas - 54.61%
Oil - 0.02%
Hydroelectric - 9.08%
Geothermal - 9.07%
Solar - 4.13%
Nuclear - 2.87%
Wind - 2.50%
Biofuel - 0.29%
Biomass - 0.48%
Other - 0.18%

- John Atwood
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:44:57 pm by WA1ICI »

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 12:20:44 am »
Location here is in northern Nevada, power company is NV Energy, formerly Sierra Pacific Power.

My latest bill for August was 1440 kWH, total US$149.15.  This comes out to $0.104 per kWH, including overhead.  The incremental cost per kWH is $0.08822.

My heating/cooling system is an in-ground "geo-source" heat pump system.  It doesn't work too hard in the summer, but in the winter, my power bill more than doubles (about 3750 kWH/month in Jan. and Feb.).

The utility-supplied "power content label" show origin of the power here:

Coal - 16.77%
Natural Gas - 54.61%
Oil - 0.02%
Hydroelectric - 9.08%
Geothermal - 9.07%
Solar - 4.13%
Nuclear - 2.87%
Wind - 2.50%
Biofuel - 0.29%
Biomass - 0.48%
Other - 0.18%

- John Atwood

Interesting.  About 25% renewable.  About 27% non-carbon dioxide creating.  About 83% low-polluting.  Categories overlap so they add to more than 100%. 

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 01:04:42 am »
Around $0.036 per kWh for the power, plus $0.052 for the privilege of receiving it (grid fee), and a fixed fee of around $50/month (more grid fees). I literally pay 4-5 times as much in fees as I pay for the power.

All added up, I pay on average $0.075 per kWh. This is in Norway, incidentally. We have quite cheap power.

Offline sarel.wagner

• Regular Contributor
  • Cooking up an Electronix Storm
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 09:54:29 am »
South Africa inland:
The energy tariff charge/kWh- inclusive of environmental levy of 5.5c/kWh is the following:
A Bulk fee of R 494.00 (US $37.77) + consumption

100 kWh 130,32c (US $0.0996)
400 kWh 152,50c (US $0.1165)
650 kWh 166,10c (US $0.1270)
>650 kWh 179,00c

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 09:46:18 pm »
South Africa inland:
The energy tariff charge/kWh- inclusive of environmental levy of 5.5c/kWh is the following:
A Bulk fee of R 494.00 (US $37.77) + consumption

100 kWh 130,32c (US $0.0996)
400 kWh 152,50c (US $0.1165)
650 kWh 166,10c (US $0.1270)
>650 kWh 179,00c
I subscribed! Watching your meter videos now...
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Online Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2017, 12:07:18 am »
Here in Northern California the rates are based on tiers. You get a baseline, which costs USD$0.20 per kWh. Use 101-400% of your baseline and the rate goes up to $0.25. Use more that 400% of baseline and the rate goes up to $0.40 per kWh. Your baseline is based on where you live and on the time of year (winter or summer).

If you have solar and produce more than you consume, the utility will buy it back from you at $0.06 per kWh.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2017, 12:27:33 am »
I live in the same PG&E territory as Sal, so already answered. However, I thought that I'd just say that if you do not know your rate, or want to know the rate somewhere else, the magic Google search term is "tariff" or "tariff book" combined with the name of the utility in question.

Interestingly, in CA the two tier system is actually a simplification of the previous FOUR tier system.

Offline justinjja

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2017, 10:24:04 pm »
Total cost including fees is 0.078/kwh for me.
I'm in a CO-OP in Dallas, Texas.

And yet I have a $500 electric bill every month...
Bitcoin minging lol...

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2017, 11:13:22 pm »
Here near St. Louis, Missouri the charges are $9 per month plus 12.6 cents per kWh in summer (June through September) and 8.8 cents per kWh in winter.

Offline KuroZ

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2017, 11:23:25 am »
R$0.638/kWh in São Paulo, that's around US$0.20.

Offline Connoiseur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2017, 01:27:39 pm »
It's Rs 3.2/kWh (or 0.049 USD as per current exchange rate) for domestic consumers + fixed charges of about 1 USD/month. :)

Offline jm_araujo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2017, 02:11:02 pm »
In Portugal,
Dual rate is 0.119€/KWh ($0.142) from 0:00 to 7:00 and 0.239€/KWh($0.285) from 7:00 to 24:00, and an extra 0.391€/day($0.466) with my current supplier. The market isn't very competitive, all the suppliers have very similar rates.

My monthly average was 91€ for the last year, everything in my home is electric.

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2017, 08:43:18 am »
$0.026~ right now in Oklahoma City, but that changes month to month, so it is a useless number.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2017, 11:11:01 pm »
We in the US, because of an export ban thats been in place since the 70s enjoy the lowest wholesale energy prices in the world but that's about to change dramatically because they're about to start exporting natural gas.

A lot of the impact depends on the weather. Recently the winter weather in large parts of the US has been milder than the average but natural gas (and electricity) prices are likely to rise more the colder (and likely also hotter, in the summer) it gets as local customers start competing with export for the same LNG. The shift may take more time to effect prices if weather gets milder and demand falls. But if not wages will have to rise or many people will not have any options but to move. Nobody knows where they can go if they lose affordable housing as its unlikely to be replaced with more affordable housing.

The impact is likely to be felt the most in those large parts of the US where most of the housing stock is older, built when energy was cheap and wages higher in relative terms than they are today.

Most US homes built before the 1980s or 90s are not very well insulated with construction techniques which are no longer seen in many other cold winter areas. Many commercial buildings also lack adequate insulation.

Its not a little thing. Many older Americans unable to afford heating (and cooling) may be in grave danger of freezing to death (or dying of heatstroke in the summer). Their homes may become physically dangerous to live in without energy (or retrofits) they can't afford. But, well connected lobbyists and PR pros claim this is "our energy moment", and frame the US as becoming the new Saudi Arabia, exporting energy to quench the thirst of Asia and the rest of the world until its gone. A series of articles in the New York Times revealed that some of this is hype, with the natural gas reserves overestimated and investors being led into a bubble.

Regardless of how much energy is actually there, nobody seems to be expecting this change, except the energy and construction industries. Construction.. is expected to rise as older postwar buildings are replaced.

Even areas like California with relatively mild winters may see changes because the price of electricity there like everywhere else in the US, basically tracks natural gas prices.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 01:52:01 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf