Author Topic: What FedEx or UPS surcharges for Mouser orders to Canada?  (Read 2391 times)

Offline rbmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
What FedEx or UPS surcharges for Mouser orders to Canada?
« on: December 18, 2017, 07:56:07 pm »
I usually order from DigiKey but parts I'm after are backordered with them, so I found the same part at Mouser.  I live in Canada.  I know that Mouser only ships from their USA warehouse in Texas so, if I order the parts and select free shipping with either FedEx or UPS, what additional import charges can I come to expect?  GST obviously, but what about import duties or UPS extortion brokerage fees?  Any experiences or surprises from other Canadians?
- Robert

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
Re: What FedEx or UPS surcharges for Mouser orders to Canada?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 08:58:36 pm »
It depends on whether you choose to pay in CAD or USD. In either case the threshold for free shipping is $100 (CAD or USD respectively).

If you pay in CAD, you never pay duties or fees, everything is rolled into the price.
If you can pay in USD, you may be responsible for duties and/or associated fees. The one and only time I tried this I paid nothing. I ended up saving money because the prices were lower (after exchanging USD<>CAD).

Offline packetbob

• Contributor
    • zappedmyself.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 03:43:10 am »
Be aware that if you want to avoid customs/brokerage fees when ordering from Digikey or Mouser to Canada you must use the Canadian web sites:
https://ca.mouser.com/
https://www.digikey.ca/
With either of these you don't pay any duty or brokerage fees
If you use the US sites then you will probably end up with such fees.......
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:44:55 am by packetbob »

Offline rbmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 10:42:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I ordered the parts yesterday (from the Canadian Mouser site) and selected  FedEx for the shipping.  It arrived today.  No surprises in store for me, which was EXCELLENT!
- Robert

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf