Author Topic: What Is Causing The Note 7 Phones To Explode?  (Read 28135 times)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: What Is Causing The Note 7 Phones To Explode?
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2016, 06:19:50 pm »
Phones aren't constrained for physical size; in fact they're getting bigger with each generation. Making them as thin as possible is a fashion statement, not a technical requirement, and adding 1mm to the thickness to accommodate a removable battery cover won't stop the phone from working.

No, but it will stop it from selling.

If my nexus 6p had a fat variant with twice the battery life and a halfway rugged chassis, I would have bought that

The thinner phones get, the thicker the case needed to protect them

That's you. And then there's all the yups in Manhattan that are ticking the boxes: oh, 8 cores and the other only has 7, 7.3mm and the other is, like really fat at 7.5mm.

I agree with you and many of the others but the market is fixated on silly numbers. And odly, somehow, the concensus is that battery life is not an important number.

Offline iamdarkyoshiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2016, 11:20:56 pm »
And odly, somehow, the concensus is that battery life is not an important number.
This. Right here.

There is no reason I should drain most of my 3.5Ah battery listening to music all day

Thats roughly 1.25w constantly, just playing music.

My old sansa fuse mp3 player could literally last a month doing that on one charge.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2016, 11:30:09 pm »
Phones aren't constrained for physical size; in fact they're getting bigger with each generation. Making them as thin as possible is a fashion statement, not a technical requirement, and adding 1mm to the thickness to accommodate a removable battery cover won't stop the phone from working.

If my nexus 6p had a fat variant with twice the battery life and a halfway rugged chassis, I would have bought that

Almost everyone I know wants a bigger battery. I have a Moto Maxx with a 3900 mAh battery and I love it.
VE7FM

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2016, 11:32:09 pm »
And odly, somehow, the concensus is that battery life is not an important number.
This. Right here.

There is no reason I should drain most of my 3.5Ah battery listening to music all day

My old sansa fuse mp3 player could literally last a month doing that on one charge.

Airplane mode, otherwise it will keep trying to receive and transmit data for all your apps.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2016, 02:03:45 am »
This. Right here.

Airplane mode, otherwise it will keep trying to receive and transmit data for all your apps.

A phone shouldn't have do that though. My dell venue 8 tablet has probably the best battery I have seen for a portable smart device, handling like 6 hours of screen time

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2016, 03:04:26 am »
This. Right here.

A phone shouldn't have do that though. My dell venue 8 tablet has probably the best battery I have seen for a portable smart device, handling like 6 hours of screen time

Your Venue 8 has a huge battery and doesn't have a multi-watt RF transmitter in it.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2016, 09:30:44 pm »
Those are pretty sporadic and you didn't see tens of them spontaneously combusting within hours and days of being released, suffering a recall, and the re-release suffering the same fate.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2016, 11:29:46 pm »
Comedy value, as the Note 7 farce continues.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/19/13333386/samsung-galaxy-note-7-gta-mod-youtube-takedown
Samsung made YouTube remove video of GTA mod that turns Note 7 into a bomb
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2016, 12:01:02 am »
Don't forget dumb people putting their phones in their jeans back pocket and sitting on it...and then crying that their phone malfunction... :palm:
Makes me feel bad for the phone when i see it in the backpocket of someone's skinny jeans getting sat on and all that, must be rough on the phone.   :o
For iPhone 6 and 6 Pluses it's leading to touch IC "disease". So, yes, it is bad for at least some phones.

Hah, saw a louis rossman video a few months ago where he more that the bga touch IC on the 6 didn't have underfill like everything else in the area on the phones and he predicted there was going to be a bunch of touch screen failures. Looks like he was right.

The following users thanked this post: Monittosan

Offline Don Hills

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2016, 11:41:15 am »
Quote from: TerraHertz on Today at 10:29:46 AM
  ... Samsung made YouTube remove video of GTA mod that turns Note 7 into a bomb

The following users thanked this post: station240, Monittosan

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2016, 11:49:51 am »

Always made me laugh and facepalm at the same time.
thinner and thinner phones but need a cover + screen protector so it doesn't fall apart at the first incident. Final thickness is greater than the previous generation phone and absudly hight profit margin on accessories are made

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2016, 01:22:58 pm »
I agree with you and many of the others but the market is fixated on silly numbers. And odly, somehow, the concensus is that battery life is not an important number.

Battery life isn't hugely important to me in terms of the number of hours' usage I can get from the phone between charges. The only time I ever find myself in danger of running out is when services I'm not using somehow end up remaining enabled, and that's a software problem, not a hardware one.

I do, however, absolutely care about battery life in terms of how many years' service I can get out of a phone before the battery no longer holds a useful charge. I absolutely do want a phone in which I can change the battery when it wears out, but of course, the industry has collectively agreed it's beneficial for manufacturers (not me) if no such option is available.

That's why I'd like to hope that this incident serves as a kick up the arse for the industry. I don't care if the official justification for going back to replaceable batteries is "safety" or "environment" or <insert corporate BS about meeting customer expectations here>. I just care that it happens.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2016, 03:12:53 pm »

Almost everyone I know wants a bigger battery. I have a Moto Maxx with a 3900 mAh battery and I love it.

I bought a 9000 mAh zero lemon battery for my lg v10 a few months back. Phone is quite thick now. I've never been someone that drops their phone anyway, but it definitely feels more secure in my hand now. Went with the v10 specifically because it was the only phone with a large screen that still had an easily removable battery and micro sd support. The stock lg 3000 mAh battery was a joke for this phone. Now if I desire to, I can stream HD video for over 20 hours without needing to charge. Much of my city lost power to a hurricane last month and it was crazy seeing everyone trying to find outlets to charge their devices in stores and restaurants. Luckily, my wife and I only went four days with no power and the phone battery was not an issue. I could probably make it a week or more with light use, but I lurk here far too often.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2016, 01:55:23 am »
What we really need is a portable pedal or crank charger that's actually decent. Fat is about 50 times as energy dense as lithium ions, about 10 after conversion losses. And at least in the US, there seems to be an almost unlimited surplus of it.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline John Heath

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2B or not 2B
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2016, 05:21:23 pm »
What should be remembers is it is only 1 out of 40,000 note 7 that are burning up. For unreported cases and still to burn call it 1 in 5000. I know someone that hard his garage burn down from charging his lithium electric drill. At best I only know 50 people with lithium batteries. Of the 50 people one had his garage burn down. Could it be that problems with lithium batteries is larger than the latest Samsung note 7 NEWS.   

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2016, 11:02:10 pm »
What should be remembers is it is only 1 out of 40,000 note 7 that are burning up. For unreported cases and still to burn call it 1 in 5000. I know someone that hard his garage burn down from charging his lithium electric drill. At best I only know 50 people with lithium batteries. Of the 50 people one had his garage burn down. Could it be that problems with lithium batteries is larger than the latest Samsung note 7 NEWS.

Fair enough, but how many iphone 7's have violently exploded so far?

Offline John Heath

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2B or not 2B
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2016, 11:50:35 pm »
Can not say how many note 7s have the pocket warming feature other than a yahoo video saying it was 1 in 45,000. I would guess 1 in 5,000 by the time it is over. However consider how many 380 air planes are flying. A wild guess would be 20 or 30. 1 of those 30 air planes had a fire in the side caused by the new and nifty lithium batteries to save weight. The 380 has been redesigned with a different battery. That is 1 out of 30 ! and you can imagine they tested the pieces out of it before deciding to go with lithium.  To give this balance technology has to be pushed to the limits in today's competitive market. 

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2016, 02:30:19 am »
Wasn't it the Boeing 787 that had a bunch of battery issues? The interesting part is that if they used the slightly heavier (but much safer) lithium manganese batteries rather than the highly flammable lithium cobalt batteries, replacing just one average American passenger with one as skinny as Tiffany Yep would cancel out the weight difference! If that small amount of weight made such a difference, they should encourage sustainable weight loss.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: John Heath

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2016, 03:31:46 am »
I do, however, absolutely care about battery life in terms of how many years' service I can get out of a phone before the battery no longer holds a useful charge. I absolutely do want a phone in which I can change the battery when it wears out, but of course, the industry has collectively agreed it's beneficial for manufacturers (not me) if no such option is available.

It seems to be really straightforward to replace an iPhone battery, especially with the later models. It is barely more complicated than replacing a watch battery. I would have no hesitation in taking on the job if my phone battery needed replacing.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2016, 04:15:18 am »

It seems to be really straightforward to replace an iPhone battery, especially with the later models. It is barely more complicated than replacing a watch battery. I would have no hesitation in taking on the job if my phone battery needed replacing.

I really hope to never have to take my nexus 6p apart.

Somehow, they made it even harder to take apart than iphones, which I really didn't think was possible.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2016, 04:28:56 am »
I really hope to never have to take my nexus 6p apart.

Somehow, they made it even harder to take apart than iphones, which I really didn't think was possible.

With the iPhone 6 all you have to do is remove two screws and pop the case apart. With the iPhone 7 it got more complicated as they made it waterproof, which means the case is glued together to keep water out.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2016, 09:29:21 am »
This. Right here.

Nope, it is the stupid android draining the battery. I have 2-3 days of battery life from my Nokia 830, because it is running Windows.

Offline John Heath

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2B or not 2B
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2016, 12:12:33 pm »
Wasn't it the Boeing 787 that had a bunch of battery issues? The interesting part is that if they used the slightly heavier (but much safer) lithium manganese batteries rather than the highly flammable lithium cobalt batteries, replacing just one average American passenger with one as skinny as Tiffany Yep would cancel out the weight difference! If that small amount of weight made such a difference, they should encourage sustainable weight loss.

With a little googling I see  you are right. It was the 787  :-+

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2016, 04:10:07 pm »
This. Right here.

Nope, it is the stupid android draining the battery. I have 2-3 days of battery life from my Nokia 830, because it is running Windows.
I am still using my Nokia N900, with Maemo Linux, battery lasts 4 days. You can drain battery in 2 hours on any OS if you play games or watch videos or run service apps.

BTW I am still looking for replacement for my N900, Jolla which runs Sailfish seems like a perfect choice, but it looks like they are downsizing now and I have to go through hoops to buy it in Canada :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf