Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 7944 times)

Offline ltkenboTopic starter

What is it?
« on: March 25, 2015, 07:10:14 pm »
Reminds me of that segment they do on this old house. We found a tool pictured below in one a desk from an engineer that used to work at my work. We were trying to figure out what it does, it looks like it's for punching holes in something, is probably a promotional item from the company labeled on the tool. Let me know if anyone knows what this thing is for.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:26:19 pm »
Just guessing:  a special stripper to remove the outer jacket from coax cable?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:10:27 pm »
Just guessing:  a special stripper to remove the outer jacket from coax cable?

Don't think so.  I have a couple of coax strippers and both of them have blades that are adjustable with a hex driver and remain fixed in the position set.  They don't cross each other like this tool.  Kind of looks like a creepy pet toenail clipper.  It's designed to cut completely through something IMHO, just can't tell what.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 08:34:34 pm »
Can't really see it clearly, but maybe it's a paper binder. It punches a U shape hole and a slot in the paper, then you have to fold the cutout over into the slot. Or maybe this one is so cheap it doesn't even cut the slot and just relies on the fold.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 10:52:16 pm »
a staple remover

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 10:55:09 pm »
Staple remover?

Offline max666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 02:00:48 am »
Ahh, so the idea is to grip the staple, while levering it out.
Similar to this one:

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 03:00:32 am »
Tonight's special report "Getting engineers to think like normal people"
 :-DD :box:
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 06:29:11 am »
Maybe an enamel copper wire stripper?
Is the inner part of the triangular section sharp?

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 06:38:31 am »
This thread reminds of something that happened a long time ago when I was living in Arizona.

A truck moving a manufactured home miscalculated the needed height to go under an overpass.  The top of the home hit the overpass bridge, stopping the truck and blocked traffic.  Police and engineers were there trying to figure out how to get the thing 'unwedge' from the bridge.  After a couple of hours of traffic being backed up and engineers/police pondering the situation, a car drives by and a young girl yells out the window, "let the air out of the trucks tires!'.

Sure enough, letting the air out of the tires dropped the home just enough for it to unwedge from the bridge, and the truck and trailer/home passed safely underneath the overpass.

I have used that same tool.  I just now saw the thread, or would have spoken earlier.  It works great for pulling staples, although, I grinded the tip down a little, so it could slip under the staples better.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 06:45:07 am »
This thread reminds of something that happened a long time ago when I was living in Arizona.

A truck moving a manufactured home miscalculated the needed height to go under an overpass.  The top of the home hit the overpass bridge, stopping the truck and blocked traffic.  Police and engineers were there trying to figure out how to get the thing 'unwedge' from the bridge.  After a couple of hours of traffic being backed up and engineers/police pondering the situation, a car drives by and a young girl yells out the window, "let the air out of the trucks tires!'.

Sure enough, letting the air out of the tires dropped the home just enough for it to unwedge from the bridge, and the truck and trailer/home passed safely underneath the overpass.

I know this story, but with a different punchline :

"The cops hear what she says but answer :  This will not work, its not the bottom that cannot pass, its the top ! "

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 07:54:30 am »
Looks very like the medical staple removers, when I had an operation they used staples not stitches and the tool they used to remove the staples looked very like that tool. The lower blade is inserted under the staple to be removed and upon squeezing the handle the central blade moves down and bends the staple in the middle causing it to be withdrawn, the medical ones are use once only so a grabbed the one used on me and now use it as a lead bender.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 07:59:24 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf