Author Topic: What is it with this Rossmann guy? (also, YouTube)  (Read 24801 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: What is it with this Rossmann guy? (also, YouTube)
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2017, 02:28:55 am »
Nobody is forcing you to come back here.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2017, 02:31:51 am »
You started with being hurt that someone muted. Originally we could attribute that to a heat of the moment rant. Then you said it happened 6-12 months ago, which means it was a calculated and deliberate post rather than a rage post. That didn't get you the response you wanted so you made a show of rage-quitting here and then failed to actually leave, even for a day. Now I'm getting the lastworditis vibe. Where will it end?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2017, 02:39:07 am »
I know, right? I keep getting sucked in. The entire original post I wanted to make was about how YouTube shadow banning should not be a thing and that channels like Rossmann are using it to their advantage (ie. you're banned but continue to view because you don't know you're banned). I take full blame for derailing this thing.  :palm:

Again you are not being honest about that and trying to change direction.
The title of this thread is clearly primarily about Louis Rossman banning you, and secondarily about Youtube, it's in the title and your original post which you have now deleted.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2017, 02:44:42 am »
Again, I won't recant anything I said about Louis and I think even he would agree with the things I did post. The guy is as I have stated. I'm not trying to change that. I think you are overblowing the whole "drunk posting" thing. Yes, I made a stupid post. It wasn't a ban-worthy post. I don't think anyone on this planet would think that except Rossmann on a bad day. I posted what I thought my comment was, it was "bad" (ie. stupid) but not anything crazy. The only reason I have deleted posts was because "admin" (whoever that is, probably not Dave) was participating. I'm not giving views and profit for things I have done if you're going to ridicule me, it's that simple.

What other "admin" do you think is contributing here?
No moderator has stepped in and deleted your posts or done anything to admonish you in any way. You simply started a thread and we are discussing what you bought up and commenting on what you have said.
I am not ridiculing you, I'm doing what we tend to do here on forums, discuss stuff, and if you are going to post something demonstrably incorrect then you can expect to have that pointed out to you.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2017, 02:46:16 am »
The responses actually make me want to keep the thread open. I'm conflicted as I'm sure "admin" is. I can't restore what I deleted though. :(

The "Admin" is me, Dave.
I am not "conflicted" in any way whatsoever.
I cannot restore your posts because you edited them and not deleted them.

The following users thanked this post: sprok

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2017, 02:52:28 am »
The responses actually make me want to keep the thread open. I'm conflicted as I'm sure "admin" is. I can't restore what I deleted though. :(

The "Admin" is me, Dave.
I am not "conflicted" in any way whatsoever.
I cannot restore your posts because you edited them and not deleted them.

I was considering making a post saying exactly these first two points - because that's how I understand Dave to be .... and I think just about everyone else here would have been thinking the same.

This forum is refreshingly transparent - and there is a strong tendency for analytical minds to frequent it.  When things don't "mesh", expect someone to notice - and say something.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2017, 03:10:06 am »
You are the only one who has put forward that label.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2017, 04:11:13 am »
lolipop, lolipop ooo loli loli loli LOLIPOP

Oops...did I accidently post something related to electronics in this thread. My bad...

P.S. speaking of this thread...

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2017, 10:10:13 am »
PS would it be bad taste to start a new topic called ' PING Louis Rossmann, you're needed in ER! ...'  Only in this place could this dude be on both ends of the spectrum within posts of each other.

HEY! Leave my thread out of this!  ;)
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2017, 10:46:50 am »
@Sprok,
This forum feature: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/forum-update-new-ignore-topics-feature/ may help you to let this thread go, and hopefully it will wither away without your participation.

I suspect that anyone who imbibes has at one time or another said or posted stuff that in the cold sober daylight of the morning after, they know was unwise or mistaken.  I certainly have.   Such things happen.  The mark of true character is how you own your mistake, minimise the risk of repeating it and move onwards.

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2017, 02:46:07 pm »
The responses actually make me want to keep the thread open.
Dear Sprok, you have already paid for a lesson: a life lesson; all you need to do now is to understand what exactly you have payed for and internalise that new piece of knowledge in order to use it constructively in the future.

Because responsibility of someone's own actions is what makes a decent man.

Aristotle, who used to say that the difference between an educated and an uneducated man is very similar to the difference between an alive person and a dead one, also said that dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them.

-George

----------------------------------
P.S.

Aging
Aging: This is a fine, down to earth rant, by Louis Rossmann; among his countless core philosophies & rants he dares to demonstrate in public.

Well, though I have never exchanged even a single greeting with Louis Rossmann, I like this guy: He stands on his own feet because he can think on his own; because he is able to understand and feel what another human being is experiencing; because he is able to philosophise every single event he comes across in his life; because he has the guts to express his own opinion in public, in a selfish and hyper-sensitive deliberatively driven community; because he is successfully self-made under unfavorable and trialsome circumstances; because he is not afraid of daring and paying the consequence or harvesting the benefits of his choices; because he is alive, living every minute of his life and not waiting stoically for his end to come...

In my opinion, if someone like Rossmann banned someone else, the latter one would most probably (if not definitely) deserved it.

Yet, I think that it has already been put in the right perspective:
You started with being hurt that someone muted. Originally we could attribute that to a heat of the moment rant. Then you said it happened 6-12 months ago, which means it was a calculated and deliberate post rather than a rage post.

So, was all this charade what it superficially seemed to be (meaning, a lost cause rant), or a [not so carefully orchestrated] calculated ping if not a social engineering experiment upon the users of this discussions board?
(This was a rhetorical question that needs not to be answered.)

-George
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

The following users thanked this post: Old Don

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2017, 05:18:44 pm »
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be an advert for Rossmann. I bet it had that effect...

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2017, 02:22:06 pm »
This is a good video about planned obsolescence to show why people watch Louis and why Apple hates him. He calls them out on their incredibly costly crap.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline vze1lryy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2018, 12:56:50 am »
Woah. Only replying since I got an angry expletive screaming DM about this with a link to the thread.

Livestreams are rather different in that it is impossible to follow the chat stream. I really like following and interacting with it. I get 200-300 viewers sometimes, 600-800 other times, and on rare occasion 1800-2000 live viewers. Dave probably gets even more since he has a vastly more popular channel.

If there's 600 live viewers and even 10% of them leave 1 comment per minute, that is 1 comment per second. That's impossible to read even if I was not trying to simultaneously repair something in a microscope, while read comments out of my peripheral vision.

So if I see anything even remotely dumb being posted repeatedly, OR I see someone copying and pasting the same thing over and over again, I hit ban. The threshold for that is way lower on livestreams since the luxury of time to sift through and respond to things isn't there. The more silly comments, the less I can focus on the good ones. I figure, since I can't read all the comments anyway, I will have to skip things, and I'd rather it not be good ones I am skipping.

On youtube comments, I used to keep them all there until around early 2016. I liked having a comments section where people could read through, learn, ask real questions, etc. this was interrupted by a bunch of trollery nonsense. The way I work it is if it's not the way we'd have discourse in person, or it's not what I'd let into my living room, I spam it. Long or well thought out criticisms are fine but when it turns into a rage or insult fest I hit spam so it's a usable comment stream. People say this is anti freedom of speech but that is what the little up arrow in the corner is for.. anyone can upload their speech to youtube. Just not in my comments section. :)

Onto the way youtube works.

1) I do not have access to a list of people banned from chatting in livestreams. If I ban someone from commenting on videos, there's a list for that. Youtube provides no list of people banned from chatting on livestreams. I have no way to go in after-the-fact and "reset" this list. The only way to do this is to go to that user's individual page and unban them, but how do you know their page if you have no list with their name?

2) Unlike platforms like twitch, there is no way to see the chat of a stream after the fact. Let's say I did hit ban for the wrong reason, or was just in a bad mood and someone says "that wasn't fair - let me back in! I didn't say anything wrong!" I have no way of checking what they said... maybe they just said "Hi Louis", maybe they said "pedos do nothing wrong". There's no way to check any of this.

Youtube is an excellent video hosting platform, and an excellent content recommendation platform. However, the user communication side of Youtube has no idea how people communicate and is pretty awful about giving content creators the tools to deal with this kinda stuff properly.

That being said, if  any youtuber genuinely bans you from live chat for a dumb reason, don't take it personally, it is impossible to read all these comments when you get over 100-200 live viewers. If we didn't unban afterwards, definitely don't take it personally, and my apologies if it made you feel badly. Just make some other throwaway google acct and join the next one. :)
Louis Rossmann
Component level motherboard repair technician.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Mr. Scram, CNe7532294

Offline lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2018, 01:10:51 am »
vze1lryy aka Rossmann,

Keep up the good work!  :-+

Don't mind the snowflakes :-DD
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:12:43 am by lundmar »
https://lxi-tools.github.io - Open source LXI tools
https://tio.github.io - A simple serial device I/O tool

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2018, 01:43:51 am »
Louis - a very objective and clear explanation about the practicalities involved.

I would recommend this for anyone who may have similar feelings about such actions taken against them.

This should make things clear to the OP - but their actions and responses would suggest to me they would still be more likely to try and "win" than accept responsibility for their behaviour.

vze1lryy aka Rossmann,

Keep up the good work!  :-+

Don't mind the snowflakes :-DD

+1

Offline justanothercanuck

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing retro repairs...
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2018, 10:32:06 am »
On youtube comments, I used to keep them all there until around early 2016. I liked having a comments section where people could read through, learn, ask real questions, etc. this was interrupted by a bunch of trollery nonsense.

plsbro, you know you bring a lot of that on yourself with your discourse with jessa, tcrs, paul daniels and the rest.  :-DD
Maintain your old electronics!  If you don't preserve it, it could be lost forever!

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2018, 11:29:50 am »
Get banned form a YT channel and come here whining about it.
Did you run to the teacher at school when a classmate didn’t want to be your friend?
Ever been unfriended on FB? What did Mark Z have to say about that?
?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2018, 01:18:33 pm »
Gotta love the internet... The idio... *ahem* dude that started this thread incidentally gives a platform for his target to provide an absolutely clear, concise and, most of all, reasonable response to his attacks. Louis' response even gave me a great idea to deal with the comments on my own small channel. Thanks!

This thread was a cringe fest from the beginning - if anything, it served to sprinkle some more reason to the world (lacking so much of that lately...)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2018, 07:54:55 pm »
Gotta love the internet... The idio... *ahem* dude that started this thread incidentally gives a platform for his target to provide an absolutely clear, concise and, most of all, reasonable response to his attacks. Louis' response even gave me a great idea to deal with the comments on my own small channel. Thanks!

This thread was a cringe fest from the beginning - if anything, it served to sprinkle some more reason to the world (lacking so much of that lately...)

Well, SPROK has been SPRINKLING lots of DOTS!
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=showposts;u=120722  :-DD
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2018, 08:03:12 pm »
I salute anyone who exposes companies who practices "dick move's" in any way.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf