Author Topic: What is the difference between a "Course" and a "Tutorial" or "Learn"  (Read 1229 times)

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Hi

From this post :

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/electronics-primers-course-material-and-books/msg1482784/#msg1482784

is this link :

https://core-electronics.com.au/

On the their homepage is a menu item  "Learn"

Under Learn they have two menu items :  "Tutorials"  and  "Courses".

I then looked at my list and I have both listed:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341170/#msg1341170

Then I realized I do not know the difference between the two (if any).   Unless there is a clear distinction I would like to have one name so I could use Tutorials or Courses or Learn.   "Learn" would be the easiest for me.

Brumby and others - what do you think?

thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Online hans

• Super Contributor
Re: What is the difference between a "Course" and a "Tutorial" or "Learn"
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:51:33 pm »
Tutorials only explains one thing. Or maybe not even explain, I usually see them as a documented wizard which shows you step by step how to do things.

A "course" or "workshop" is more a collection of subjects, and perhaps has some open interpretations what to do with the material to build something.

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:06:35 am »
Then I realized I do not know the difference between the two (if any).   Unless there is a clear distinction I would like to have one name so I could use Tutorials or Courses or Learn.   "Learn" would be the easiest for me.
Course is usually a complete subject with many chapters, sometimes includes other subjects too. Tutorial is about one particular case or skills (1 chapter may contains several skills level) and usually includes exercises. In a "course" lecture, you usually only be presented with theoritical basis of a particular subject, not much exercise, just listen and try to understand and imagine. Learn is a verb meaning you learn, if you dont pay attention in the course or tutorial, then you dont learn...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:39:41 am »

Learn is a verb, it is something you do.

A course is a course of learning. In American English it might be called a program of learning. For example a degree course (UK) or a degree program (USA) would span four years or so. On the other hand a training course on a particular subject might only last a week. The length of a course can be quite variable.

A tutorial is a small, compact learning exercise on a particular subject, usually involving questions to answer or examples to complete.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 08:11:19 am »
My thoughts (pretty much what has already been said):
"Learn" is a broad term.  It covers any form of increasing one's knowledge.
"Tutorial" addresses a specific topic.
"Course" addresses multiple topics within a common scope.

There are many other avenues for learning, such as traineeships and mentoring to name a couple.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf