Author Topic: What is the difference between microcontroller and microprocessor ICs?  (Read 2727 times)

Offline kingoftTopic starter

• !
    • EEE Projects
I'm not en expert in an embedded system. I have been working with microcontroller (ATMEL microcontrollers mostly) and haven't took microprocessor ever. however, I very often get queries regarding the difference between these two.

We all know that microprocessor is the most important part in computer system where as the microcontroller is an important component in an embedded system. So, what is the difference between microprocessor and microcontroller ?

• Unline the microprocessor a Microcontroller posses all the pheripherals such as RAM, ROM, EEPROM etc
  • The microcontroller consumes a very less power in comparision to the microprocessor since it contains a power saving system, like idle mode or power saving mode
    • since the Microcontrollers are so compact hence it makes them more usefull and efficient system for small applications and products while microprocessors are bulky so they are preferred to use for larger applications.

Do tell some things new about these two which many few people know about.  :)
EEE Project Ideas for beginners and basic electronics.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: What is the difference between microcontroller and microprocessor ICs?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 02:30:26 pm »
Microcontrollers include peripheral devices like serial ports, I2C, SPI and so on that may not be included in a more general purpose microprocessor.  In fact, microprocessors may not include any peripheral devices at all.  Those devices are in separate chips hung on a bus.

The distinction gets a bit blurry when a conventional microprocessor, like the Z80, is upgraded with peripherals and moves into the microcontroller category.

Considering that our microprocessors have more capability than mainframes of the '80s, when do we drop the 'micro' part?

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:41:18 pm »

Considering that our microprocessors have more capability than mainframes of the '80s, when do we drop the 'micro' part?

As soon as we get nanoprocessors...  I mean, yeah, they have far more computer power - heck a single smartphone SoC probably has more compute power than the sum total of all computers that existed in the 60's. But they're still small in size, and getting smaller. Micro in size, not power.  ;D

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 03:24:10 pm »
Microcontrollers include peripheral devices like serial ports, I2C, SPI and so on that may not be included in a more general purpose microprocessor.  In fact, microprocessors may not include any peripheral devices at all.  Those devices are in separate chips hung on a bus.
A lot of modern CPUs do have those features built in. For example, Intel CPUs that have the memory controller built in also have the I2C controller used to check the memory configuration on boot.

Where I define the line is whether or not external RAM is required for most useful applications.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 08:51:25 am »
The OP is spam...
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 09:51:14 am »
I don't see any evidence of that from his previous posts.  ???
Best Regards, Chris

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 12:53:16 pm »
Personally, I don't really think it's an important distinction, and as others have said the line is blurred. Naming something a microcontroller doesn't relay any more information than calling it a microprocessor. For example, WHICH peripherals does it have? GPIO? Analog IO? CAN? Serial? How many? SPI? I2C? What's the point of using a special name if it doesn't actually relay any information?

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 11:41:14 am »
I don't see any evidence of that from his previous posts.  ???

His posts are either "me too" type one liners, or contain links to his blog site. That blog site has copy and paste articles from other sites.

It's typical link spamming behaviour.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 12:08:24 pm »
Where I define the line is whether or not external RAM is required for most useful applications.

80186 is/was the microcontroller version of the 8086. Didn't have any memory onboard. Did have some peripheral stuff.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf