Author Topic: What is this scope and is it worth picking up?  (Read 9847 times)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: What is this scope and is it worth picking up?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 02:19:34 am »
Try to save it if you can - I'd bet someone would want it.  I wish I was closer - I'd give it a home.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline daveyk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 01:11:59 am »
I found this scope in an electronics disposal.
it has always been a goal of mine to find a scope with a round crt display, it just seems so retro.
This is an old tektronix scope, but that's all i know. I dont think i can add it to my collection because it is HUGE and has a separate HUGE power supply.

Anyone know anything about this scope?  Is it worth saving?

That's the scope we had is electronics school when I went from 1979 to 1981.

I remember we use to take the bezel off and put very thin tracing paper under the plastic graticule overlay. Then we called the teacher over, he'd see it and call for the old man who rand the schools repair shop. We would walk by and the sides would be off the scope and he was in to the repair hot and heavy.  Several hours later we could hear from down the hall way "Oh, God Dxmn!!"

The lab teacher even got a kick out of that.

Heh heh, what strange memories... 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 01:32:10 am »
That's the scope we had is electronics school when I went from 1979 to 1981.

I remember we use to take the bezel off and put very thin tracing paper under the plastic graticule overlay. Then we called the teacher over, he'd see it and call for the old man who rand the schools repair shop. We would walk by and the sides would be off the scope and he was in to the repair hot and heavy.  Several hours later we could hear from down the hall way "Oh, God Dxmn!!"

The lab teacher even got a kick out of that.

Heh heh, what strange memories... 

What an evil child you were.  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 01:34:49 am »
What an evil child you were.  >:D

I once turned off all the channel switches on the front of my grandmother's police scanner when I was about 4. She took it into a repair shop because it wouldn't pick up any signals.

Offline primegapsTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 04:34:56 am »
Well, I brought it back. And here it is.
I ended up being able to contact Mr. Carlson, and he said he would take the scope, so that's awesome. Thank you for that suggestion. It will go to a paradise for its type i must say. Just incredible! Here are some pictures just before that happens.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:47:16 am by primegaps »

The following users thanked this post: TerraHertz, tautech, QuantumLogic, MadTux, PointyOintment, Cubdriver, julianhigginson

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 08:55:34 am »
I ended up being able to contact Mr. Carlson, and he said he would take the scope, so that's awesome.

This is good news!

Nice series of photos.   :-+

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 10:47:38 am »
Thanks for saving the old beast from the dumpster!   :-+ :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Harb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 10:54:37 am »
I have a collection of old Tek Scopes.....clunky old beasts yes, but bullet proof, another yes.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 11:00:19 am »
Great to see it's going to a good home   :-+

Might see it getting restored on youtube in the future from Mr. Carlsons Lab   :popcorn:

Offline Harb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 11:13:45 am »
Paul sure likes his boat anchors.......I recon a bolt of lightning could hit dead centre of his shack and not a single piece of gear would even go out of Cal......

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2017, 05:54:31 pm »
Despite being obsolete, it's a thing of beauty. IMO these instruments are one of the finest examples of electrical engineering of the era, they not only work well but the insides are a work of art.

One area where these old Tek tube scopes are still useful is working with Tesla coils and similar devices. I'm not taking my DSO anywhere near one of those things but that old Tek would be no problem.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 06:06:41 pm »
It is not obsolete for some applications.  The differential amplifiers and comparator plug-ins are still useful.  Put a pair of 1A4 vertical amplifiers in it and you have a dual beam 8 trace oscilloscope.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 08:03:12 pm »
Thanks for saving it.

Obsolescence is only one side, the other side is ease of operation and keeping it functional. This is where this scope shines, you can fix about everything except the CRT and everyone with a basic understanding on how to use a scope can use it. Also hard to kill by overload. Modern scopes might not be obsolete, but they are usually a nightmare to repair once broken and usually can't take much overload.
Quite similar with machines, old ones without electronics might also be obsolete, but are easy to fix, set up and operate. CNC is more capable, but evil to fix and more difficult to learn.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 11:52:15 pm »
One area where these old Tek tube scopes are still useful is working with Tesla coils and similar devices. I'm not taking my DSO anywhere near one of those things but that old Tek would be no problem.

Yep. Did you notice the word "PLASMA" stenciled on the unit in a few places? What's the bet that's short for 'plasma physics department' or something like that? Some research group dealing with high voltage plasma stuff.

I'd love to get an old valve scope like this, for exactly that reason. My HP 54120T scopes have the bandwidth I want, but their maximum input limit is +/- 5V. I'm certain this is going to be a problem, no matter how conservative I am with attenuators.

Thanks for saving it.

Obsolescence is only one side, the other side is ease of operation and keeping it functional. This is where this scope shines, you can fix about everything except the CRT and everyone with a basic understanding on how to use a scope can use it. Also hard to kill by overload. Modern scopes might not be obsolete, but they are usually a nightmare to repair once broken and usually can't take much overload.
Quite similar with machines, old ones without electronics might also be obsolete, but are easy to fix, set up and operate. CNC is more capable, but evil to fix and more difficult to learn.

Totally seconded.  And you forgot to list 'can get detailed paper service manuals including full schematics, theory of op and calibration procedures you can easily do at home'. None of which is true for modern DSOs.

Downsides:
* "You can fix about everything" will involve tracking down very hard to find old valves. That mostly are not made anymore, and any found may also be age-degraded.
* Most of those old carbon composition resistors will be drifted high, often well out of tolerance.
* Mass recapping probably required.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:06:35 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2017, 01:18:25 am »
Thank you for taking the detailed photographs - it seems it is in really good shape.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2017, 02:01:09 am »
Damn, that is a work of art inside. You know, I'd love to make a coffee table book consisting of photographs of the insides (and outsides) of vintage test gear. (Several years back someone did a book like that for computers, from Univac to Cray to Altair and everything in between, it was pretty awesome.)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2017, 04:16:26 am »
Paul sure likes his boat anchors.......I recon a bolt of lightning could hit dead centre of his shack and not a single piece of gear would even go out of Cal......

Totally agree, at worst any existing stray carpet charge build up in the lab may get neutralized, eliminating HV doorknob zap giggles  :-DD

Offline daveyk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2017, 11:55:19 pm »
I ended up being able to contact Mr. Carlson, and he said he would take the scope, so that's awesome. Thank you for that suggestion. It will go to a paradise for its type i must say. Just incredible! Here are some pictures just before that

OMG, it's been years since I've seen inside one. Marvelous! They are a thing of beauty! No need for any silly FPGAs in those things. These schematics we can actually understand and follow. No lines going in to magic boxes on the schematics.

Offline Harb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2017, 01:12:54 pm »
0Some of them had a roll of solder in them so you used the right solder.....a complete waste of time of course......the things never die.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2017, 03:20:16 pm »
I think Tektronix used 4% silver solder but common Sn62Pb36Ag2 works well enough and even if the joint separates from the ceramic terminal, it is not the end of the world.  Lead free tin and silver solder is available but the higher tin content defeats the purpose of the higher silver content.

The clones of these oscilloscopes used ceramic terminals with metal inserts so silver solder was not needed.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 03:28:20 pm by David Hess »

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2017, 06:43:16 am »
0Some of them had a roll of solder in them so you used the right solder.....a complete waste of time of course......the things never die.

Mine still has it (Idk if it was ever used, not sure how much was on it originally). There is a warning label inside that says lead solder may disolve the mounting lugs off the ceramic insulator bars. It also says "property of Astron". I think it has Astron caps inside, so not sure if it was repaired or part of some two-way contract deal.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf