Author Topic: What to do with beginners electronic lab when I go to college?  (Read 2851 times)

Online AndyC_772

• Supporter
Re: What to do with beginners electronic lab when I go to college?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 08:32:23 PM »
You're making a classic mistake for someone about to go to university for the first time.

You're assuming that you'll still have the time, the energy or the desire to carry on doing the same stuff you've been doing in your pre-university life. You won't... or at least, if you do, you're missing out on a huge range of opportunities which you'll never have again. Don't waste them.

If you're studying electronics, you'll have more than enough of it with your course material. When you finish work at 11pm you'll be ready to call it a night, not stay up soldering some gizmo together for fun. You'll be out with friends, playing sports, running a club, getting involved in student politics... anything but even more electronics.

Online c4757p

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 10:52:49 PM »
Most of the schools I am looking at force you to stay in the dorms for at least the first year.

Force you to stay there? Really? How can they possibly do that?

By not allowing you to attend otherwise? I suppose you could probably commute to school, as I do, but usually dorms are the only choice of campus housing for freshmen. My previous school explained it like this: way too many freshmen, now that they just left high school, are convinced they need a car, an apartment, etc. This ends up being a huge expense for them. So the school requires them to at least try going without these things for a year. No cars, no campus apartments for freshmen.

If you're studying electronics, you'll have more than enough of it with your course material. When you finish work at 11pm you'll be ready to call it a night, not stay up soldering some gizmo together for fun. You'll be out with friends, playing sports, running a club, getting involved in student politics... anything but even more electronics.

It's hardly the worst he could do. Enough people waste their college days in a drunken stupor... yeah, he could do those things, or he could do something else he is passionate about (and learn more than the school teaches). Different people like different things.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »
What to do?

I kept my DMM, TDS220, Soldering gun and a few others while I lived on campus.

Most schools only require the first year on campus if you're not a local resident.  You could always change your address a year or two before you get there, use your sister's etc.

Don't be afraid of the dorms though, it's a good experience.  Lots of fun running around naked when your roommate takes your towel and clothes from the community shower, or getting a trash can of freezing cold water tossed on you while showering, or sitting on the toilet.

Or setting the entire building fire alarm off cooking Mac & Cheese.    :palm:

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 11:25:23 PM »
By not allowing you to attend otherwise? I suppose you could probably commute to school, as I do, but usually dorms are the only choice of campus housing for freshmen. My previous school explained it like this: way too many freshmen, now that they just left high school, are convinced they need a car, an apartment, etc. This ends up being a huge expense for them. So the school requires them to at least try going without these things for a year. No cars, no campus apartments for freshmen.

I still don't get it. WTF does a university care where you live and what you spend your money on?
Will any university seriously force you to live on campus, otherwise you can't enroll and study there? I can't believe this is the case anywhere.

It's hardly the worst he could do. Enough people waste their college days in a drunken stupor... yeah, he could do those things, or he could do something else he is passionate about (and learn more than the school teaches). Different people like different things.

Yes, each to their own. Not everyone is a social butterfly. Do what you enjoy.

Offline JohnnyGringo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 11:26:09 PM »
  +1 Pack it up for your first few semesters. Besides all the good reasons previously mentioned (space-time) 50-80% of students will change their intended major after the first year.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:30:07 PM by JohnnyGringo »
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 11:33:25 PM »
WTF does a university care where you live and what you spend your money on?
Will any university seriously force you to live on campus, otherwise you can't enroll and study there?

Yes, most state funded 4 year universities do, unless you already live locally, ie from that state or county.

I was from Illinois (I still hold this against my parents), went to school in Indiana, was forced to live on campus for the first year even though my Grandparents lived in the same town as the University for 40 years.  I was hoping to live with them, which I did do after the first year.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 12:11:55 AM »
Many Collages/Universities in the US require you to live on campus for the first year if you are under age. (I think under 21).  If you haven't died after the first year they figure you are now experienced enough to live on your own.   :-DD

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 12:26:35 AM »
Both WSU and U of I have amateur radio clubs. If anything, someone in that group can steer you onto what you need. Or you can join and become a ham.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 12:39:34 AM »
Yes, most state funded 4 year universities do, unless you already live locally, ie from that state or county.

That's just batshit crazy, seriously, someone please tell me this isn't actually true... :o
Isn't the whole point moot anyway, because you just rent/buy an apartment or whatever and you are done, right? you "live nearby"  :-//
So much for the land of the free...  :palm:
There are so many "what if's" here it's not funny.
What if your parents or someone buys or rents you a place nearby?
What if you have your own money to buy or rent your own place nearby?
What if you have special needs of some sort?
What if you are a full fee paying student?
What if you just really don't want to stay on campus with the sheeple?, because, you know, it's a free country. Are your parents forced to move house and live nearby in order to fulfill this ludicrous requirement?

Online c4757p

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 12:47:17 AM »
There are so many "what if's" here it's not funny.
What if your parents or someone buys or rents you a place nearby?
What if you have your own money to buy or rent your own place nearby?
What if you are a full fee paying student?
What if you just really don't want to stay on campus with the sheeple?, because, you know, it's a free country. Are your parents forced to move house and live nearby in order to fulfill this ludicrous requirement?

"Sucks to be you."

What if you have special needs of some sort?

I imagine you'd be accommodated somehow.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 12:47:41 AM »
That's just batshit crazy, seriously, someone please tell me this isn't actually true... :o

Looks like Duke University requires the first 3 years.   :scared:

Code: [Select]
Duke University adheres to the belief that the on-campus residential experience is an important
part of undergraduate life and education. The University has long been committed to an active and
meaningful residential experience for its undergraduate students. It is for this reason that the Trustees
require all undergraduates to live on campus for their first three years (six semesters)

Source:

http://studentaffairs.duke.edu/hdrl/apply-housing

But most are just the first year.

Online c4757p

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 12:49:19 AM »
This is from my old school:

RIT offers a variety of university run housing options.  Freshman (first-year undergraduate students) is required to live in RIT residence halls unless they are living in the Rochester area with family members.  Second, third, fourth and fifth year undergraduate (upper class) students and graduate students may chose to live in a residence halls, a university-operated apartment (some of which are unfurnished), at the RIT Inn or off-campus.

Ignoring the atrocious "freshman is required" |O, this is somewhat more reasonable. If you live nearby with family, you may live off campus, otherwise, you must live in the "residence halls" / dorms for your first year. The reason for this actually makes a bit of sense: There isn't enough on-campus non-dorm housing to accommodate the freshmen (there's hardly enough as it is), there isn't enough parking for them to drive to school from off-campus housing, and the public transportation around there isn't really very good.

If you can't tell, the retention rate isn't very good there (I don't really know why, I thought it was a great school...) so earlier years have significantly more students than later years.

Duke University adheres to the belief

Very few sensible thoughts start with "adheres to the belief".

Now someone on twitter tells me that (presumably at some unis) you also have to buy a "meal plan" for the first year so you get "proper nutrition". Double  :-// :-//  :palm:  :palm:

It's kind of silly that you "have to", but you can usually buy a very small one, and pretty much everybody uses it anyway.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:57:13 AM by c4757p »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 12:50:17 AM »

It's code, for how to we fuck you out of more money.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 12:51:32 AM »
Now someone on twitter tells me that (presumably at some unis) you also have to buy a "meal plan" for the first year so you get "proper nutrition". Double  :-// :-//  :palm:  :palm:

Online c4757p

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 12:55:27 AM »

It's code, for how to we fuck you out of more money.

It's code for "because we can".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf