Author Topic: What to do with beginners electronic lab when I go to college?  (Read 21626 times)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Re: What to do with beginners electronic lab when I go to college?
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 01:47:41 pm »
That's just batshit crazy, seriously, someone please tell me this isn't actually true... :o

Looks like Duke University requires the first 3 years.   :scared:

Code: [Select]
Duke University adheres to the belief that the on-campus residential experience is an important
part of undergraduate life and education. The University has long been committed to an active and
meaningful residential experience for its undergraduate students. It is for this reason that the Trustees
require all undergraduates to live on campus for their first three years (six semesters)

Source:

http://studentaffairs.duke.edu/hdrl/apply-housing

But most are just the first year.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 01:49:19 pm »
This is from my old school:

RIT offers a variety of university run housing options.  Freshman (first-year undergraduate students) is required to live in RIT residence halls unless they are living in the Rochester area with family members.  Second, third, fourth and fifth year undergraduate (upper class) students and graduate students may chose to live in a residence halls, a university-operated apartment (some of which are unfurnished), at the RIT Inn or off-campus.

Ignoring the atrocious "freshman is required" |O, this is somewhat more reasonable. If you live nearby with family, you may live off campus, otherwise, you must live in the "residence halls" / dorms for your first year. The reason for this actually makes a bit of sense: There isn't enough on-campus non-dorm housing to accommodate the freshmen (there's hardly enough as it is), there isn't enough parking for them to drive to school from off-campus housing, and the public transportation around there isn't really very good.

If you can't tell, the retention rate isn't very good there (I don't really know why, I thought it was a great school...) so earlier years have significantly more students than later years.

Duke University adheres to the belief

Very few sensible thoughts start with "adheres to the belief".

Now someone on twitter tells me that (presumably at some unis) you also have to buy a "meal plan" for the first year so you get "proper nutrition". Double  :-// :-//  :palm:  :palm:

It's kind of silly that you "have to", but you can usually buy a very small one, and pretty much everybody uses it anyway.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:57:13 pm by c4757p »
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 01:50:17 pm »

It's code, for how to we fuck you out of more money.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 01:51:32 pm »
Now someone on twitter tells me that (presumably at some unis) you also have to buy a "meal plan" for the first year so you get "proper nutrition". Double  :-// :-//  :palm:  :palm:

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 01:55:27 pm »

It's code, for how to we fuck you out of more money.

It's code for "because we can".

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 01:59:05 pm »
http://studentaffairs.duke.edu/hdrl/apply-housing

But not for part time students?
Am I the only one shaking my head at this ridiculousness?
I can maybe expect this kind of stuff at some batshit crazy private uni like Liberty University, but public universities?
Surely someone has contested this lack of freedom in court? or is everyone in the US that indoctrinated that you simply must move on campus when you go to university, that everyone simply accepts it?
It bet a million bucks there are exemptions on religious grounds...

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 01:59:05 pm »
It's code for "because we can".

Same goal, same result unfortunately.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 02:02:34 pm »
Surely someone has contested this lack of freedom in court?

On what grounds?

or is everyone in the US that indoctrinated that you simply must move on campus when you go to university, that everyone simply accepts it?

Yes. Severely indoctrinated.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 02:05:17 pm »
The US educational systems sure have some weird features if you ask me.

Crap, if I'd been required to live on campus, I would never have gone to Uni, I could think of nothing worse frankly.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2013, 02:05:22 pm »
Surely someone has contested this lack of freedom in court? or is everyone in the US that indoctrinated that you simply must move on campus when you go to university, that everyone

I didn't take it to court, but did more than just lay down and take it up the pooper.  I argued (up several levels of authority) that since my Grandparents lived in the same town I "should" be allowed/exempted, but they wiped out their 500 page policy and quickly found it in writing, if memory servers you could only opt out if you lived in the same town for 1 full year prior.

It was take it or leave it, they didn't give two shits if I enrolled or not.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 02:09:36 pm »
Surely someone has contested this lack of freedom in court?
On what grounds?

Well, geeze, lets see....
Your tax dollars help pay for the university, and you are paying to attend the government university (you know, by the people, for the people), and you are being denied a basic right(?) to further your education or some such because you chose to live away from your family and the university grounds when you are an adult?

I obviously don't get it because I'm not Yank...

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 02:10:54 pm »
Of course, you're morally right, but that doesn't really fly in court, does it? I'm not aware of any law that would make this illegal. It's just really douchey.

Offline creyc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 02:13:31 pm »
I suppose you don't HAVE to attend their uni at all, but if you do attend...you're gonna attend the way they tell you to, dammit!

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 02:13:31 pm »
I obviously don't get it because I'm not Yank...

I'm a yank and don't get it either, but as Chris said, it's just because they can, right or wrong is irreverent.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 02:15:20 pm »
What if you come to study at a university later in life, say 40, or 50, do you still have to move into the dorms full of obnoxious 18-20 year olds?

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2013, 02:18:07 pm »
Of course, you're morally right, but that doesn't really fly in court, does it? I'm not aware of any law that would make this illegal.

That's because you aren't a lawyer versed in such matters. Perhaps there is a precedent somewhere in federal or state law. Perhaps no one has bothered to try.
I don't understand how a legal age adult can be forced to live on a campus, or be denied a university education even if they have the money and have been accepted. That it just so shocking I need to go have a good lie down...

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 02:19:01 pm »
What if you come to study at a university later in life, say 40, or 50, do you still have to move into the dorms full of obnoxious 18-20 year olds?

My first year, 1994, there was a mid 40s guy living on the top floor, wife and kids living in another state.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2013, 02:20:05 pm »
At my university, we were given the choice of private housing or living off-campus in University-provided dorms. However, for 1st years, they strongly recommended living in dorms. Because you generally finish college in late May, and start university in September, you've missed the best time to property hunt - in winter months - and most good places are gone, or too expensive, or too far away.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2013, 02:21:44 pm »

My first year, 1994, there was a mid 40s guy living on the top floor, wife and kids living in another state.

Really? I figured there was some sort of exception somewhere - I've known quite a few older students and have never seen one in a dorm. :-//

I don't understand how a legal age adult can be forced to live on a campus, or be denied a university education even if they have the money and have been accepted. That it just so shocking I need to go have a good lie down...

I want to come live in Australia then....

Offline creyc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 02:26:00 pm »
Are you bound for U of I?
Likely, aiming for Cal-Tech but I have a sister up at U of I. Depends on what scholarships I can pull off :D but yes, U of I is very likely.

If you do indeed end up getting in to Caltech I think you'll have nothing to worry about. ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:33:34 pm by creyc »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 02:26:36 pm »
Really? I figured there was some sort of exception somewhere - I've known quite a few older students and have never seen one in a dorm. :-//

Yup, but I don't recall if he was forced, or was it perhaps just cheaper for him since we wasn't local?

Back to the OP:

Take your gear with you, I did and nobody said shit about it.  Too many other drunk idiots, people smoking pot, pushing pop machines off the mez floor (yes this really happened) to worry about you.

Offline BeerCannon

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 02:48:06 pm »
I remember back when I was in high school (late 80s) looking at colleges.. Carnegie Mellon required freshmen to live on campus.  That was the first time I'd heard of it.  The rationale was that your average 18-year old needed to be immersed in the campus life to make a successful transition. 

A lot more schools have this requirement now.  My wife is a professor at a local state university.  Our oldest niece started attending this college last year and had to live on campus.  At first, she was doing well..  made the Dean's list, etc.  But eventually she began coming home (an mere 1 hour drive) at every opportunity to be with her boyfriend.  Consequently, she lost focus of her studies, her grades slipped, and she ended up changing her declared major to whatever was conducive to her going-home-to-the-boyfriend schedule.  (And she lost the on-campus job that my wife helped her find.) 

So, I can see both sides of the argument.

Offline Galaxyrise

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 05:11:25 pm »
No cars, no campus apartments for freshmen.
This rule is also pretty common, and makes a lot more sense: If everyone is commuting to school, you need a TON of parking.  Many schools simply don't have the real estate, especially the ones in urban areas.  I went to a school that allowed everyone to drive, and parking was a huge problem even though half the acreage was parking lots!
I am but an egg

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 05:46:52 pm »
I remember back when I was in high school (late 80s) looking at colleges.. Carnegie Mellon required freshmen to live on campus.  That was the first time I'd heard of it.  The rationale was that your average 18-year old needed to be immersed in the campus life to make a successful transition. 

A lot more schools have this requirement now.  My wife is a professor at a local state university.  Our oldest niece started attending this college last year and had to live on campus.  At first, she was doing well..  made the Dean's list, etc.  But eventually she began coming home (an mere 1 hour drive) at every opportunity to be with her boyfriend.  Consequently, she lost focus of her studies, her grades slipped, and she ended up changing her declared major to whatever was conducive to her going-home-to-the-boyfriend schedule.  (And she lost the on-campus job that my wife helped her find.) 

So, I can see both sides of the argument.

Am I taking the wrong conclusion here that the on-campus rule made no difference?

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 06:01:44 pm »
At my school, you are required to live on campus for the first 2 years.  Fraternities also count.  If you are involved in more than one officially sanctioned activities, you can move off after the first year.  We were allowed to have cars, though.

If you have family within 25 miles or something, you are exempt (this is somewhat easy to fake, from what I hear).  If you are over 21 for your first semester, married, have kids, or have some type of disability, you are exempt. 

Oh, and meal plans are required for anyone living on campus. 

Anyway, going back to the OP, I was in the same situation, but for wood working (hard to fit a table saw in a dorm).  It sucks, but there is nothing you can do without doing it elsewhere.  My first two years were miserable, and I went back to my parents' every other week or so.  It gets so much better when you get out of the dorms.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf