Author Topic: What was your first multimeter or voltmeter?  (Read 41731 times)

Online eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
Re: What was your first multimeter or voltmeter?
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 10:14:12 pm »
When I was very young I was lucky to "use" the ICE 680R: it was my father's one (bought at the end of sixties).
Before I played with another model  (I remember it was in a wood box and the cable insulation was made of "fabric"): I will ask to my father which model it was... It should yet be at his home!!!  ;)

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 11:12:05 pm »
Oh yes I've got one of those ICE 680R's lying around somewhere too. The cap range is scary: They use the 50Hz power line frequency to measure caps. There's even a scary power cord included.
*shudders*

Offline elliott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 11:45:03 pm »
I think that in both the "Way Cool" and the "You Gotta Have Balls To Use It" categories, the Pifco wins hands down :) Is it rated for line volt testing?
No kidding, anyone who would go near 240V AC with that thing is nuts. I wouldn't mind having a safe, reasonably modern analog multimeter in the pocket watch form factor though.

Manual scan:
http://www.bygonebytes.co.uk/Meters/Pifco%20All-In-One%20Instructions.pdf

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 12:20:16 am »
Unbelievable but I found pictures on the web of my first analogue, that I had when I was 15 years old.  ;D

That's a nice 28 years back,  travel in time .. LOL

The exterior is Bakelite.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:23:08 am by Kiriakos-GR »

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 02:17:16 am »
I think that in both the "Way Cool" and the "You Gotta Have Balls To Use It" categories, the Pifco wins hands down :) Is it rated for line volt testing?
No kidding, anyone who would go near 240V AC with that thing is nuts. I wouldn't mind having a safe, reasonably modern analog multimeter in the pocket watch form factor though.

Manual scan:
Ah, it's designed for battery powered radios, DC only. That's not quite so terrifying.

Offline Ronnie

• Regular Contributor
  • Stimulating your Ears
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 03:54:02 am »
Soar ME-540 made in Japan   8)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 06:02:21 am »
Unbelievable but I found pictures on the web of my first analogue, that I had when I was 15 years old.  ;D

That's a nice 28 years back,  travel in time .. LOL

The exterior is Bakelite.

My first multimeter was identical to yours,but it was labelled "Sanwa"--this was in the 1960s,they were around for a long time!

VK6ZGO

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 06:57:19 am »
Well this analogue meter belonged originally to my father, he was an cars electrician and died when I was 15 years old.
Even so he must had it for a decade or more in his shop.
One wild guess would be that he go it around 1972 - 1975.

He had a major passion with tools, I bet that he is proud of me, I had double or triple the amount of tools that I had found from him. ;) 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:00:19 am by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline slipjointed

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 04:45:30 pm »
We all have our humble beginnings.  I remembered, when I was at San Jose State University, a Spanish woman civil engineering student, showed me her Fluke 77 Series One digital multimeter, that she won in her high school contest and her stellar grades, too.  She was pretty.  She started with a Fluke 77 Series one.  My start was humble, a Radio Shack Micronta analog multimeter.  I did not upgrade to a Fluke 8060A (broke and traded in), until community college electronics trade school.  What was your first multimeter?  I have relative who is an electrical engineer and licensed, but he used his Simpson 260 analog multimeter.  He never upgraded, that is all he use, even with the brittle plastic phenolic case.

I started with a Micronta almost identical to yours. Even the cardboard box was the same.

Offline deephaven

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 02:17:55 pm »

Manual scan:
Ah, it's designed for battery powered radios, DC only. That's not quite so terrifying.

I remember getting it as a Christmas present. My parents also bought me a 'magicians' set and were really dissappointed because all I wanted to play with was this meter. Little did they know what this was a start of  :)

Offline lmester

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2017, 09:48:22 am »
Bummer,  :( I was looking for my first analog multimeter. It's stored here somewhere...  A basic analog meter.

My next meter is an NRI  VTVM. I still occasionally use this meter. VTVM's  have some advantages. A really high impedance.

Next was my first DMM.

A BK 380 Multimeter. I inserted four C batteries. Last power up for this meter was about ten years ago. It's still working!

Offline cheetahkid

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2017, 12:11:24 pm »
Avo 8 mk5 I think it was first multimeter.

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2017, 12:29:40 pm »
It was not my first multimeter but the oldest I remember: Hioki AF-105

I then bought an electronic voltmeter that was so complicated that I never used all its possibilities: Hansen UV47

While saving my pocket money for a long time, I was able to buy a multimeter of quality which was very useful to me: avometer model 8.
I still have one now.

My first digital multimeter purchased used in 1993 was a Fluke 73.
I modified it to have the choice of the range (like 75) because the automatic range was annoying with variable voltages.
I still use it today.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:00:48 pm by oldway »

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2017, 01:35:47 pm »
An old analogue  Sanwa 460-ED, 100,000 Ohm/V,  I still have it and it works.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2017, 03:15:37 pm »
Hioki 3001, and still have it. Abused a bit over the years, and had a few "incidents" with it as well, but it has survived and still is reasonably accurate on DC volts, so so on AC volts ( what do you expect, very non linear scale and not good below 5VAC really), and the resistance ranges have had a few little repairs over the years, due to leaking batteries and such.  I keep a pack of 0.5A glass fuses in the one battery compartment inside, just in case I need them.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2017, 04:41:43 pm »
My first voltmeter was homemade with parts scavenged from a the dumpster of a local factory.

My first real multimeter which I still have was a Micronta 22-203u. After I got my first DMM I removed the batteries so no worries about them leaking.

Its very handy to have an analog meter sometimes. I've checked the accuracy and its still good.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2017, 05:54:37 pm »
My first meter was a Russian build ยต4324 analog one from the early 1980s. It did not like measuring the resistance of a 160 V transformer output - but was repairable and still working. It has quite a lot of ranges, though the mirror scale is missing. I still use it from time to time.

Offline ocw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2017, 06:18:18 pm »
I think that my first meter was a Lafayette 99-5004 multi-tester.  It unfortunately didn't survive a bounce test on a concrete floor.  However, I still have its instruction sheet.  That didn't rate being called a manual, however it included a schematic diagram of the meter.

I've attached portions of the instructions.  Note that for resistance measurements it required a Burgess Y10 15 volt battery.  It had a 33 uA full scale meter.  "The best components have been used in the assembly for accuracy and long life."

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2017, 06:31:30 pm »
This. I murdered it, several times and repaired it.

Then the cat pissed in it and I couldn't bear to use it because of the awful smell, so I bought another one with about 6 months of pocket money:

Ironically now I use a Fluke 8021 I picked up last week which was made BEFORE both of them were! :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 06:33:54 pm by SingedFingers »

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2017, 06:41:40 pm »
God, I don't know which model, but it was a Radio Shack purchase back in 1974.   Too long ago and long, long gone.
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2017, 07:18:43 pm »
Some sort of VTVM that was given to me.

Offline D3f1ant

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing as little as possible, but no less.
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2017, 04:30:23 am »
Some DSE (or maybe it was David Reid) brand thing when I was about 10, it exploded when  I  stuck it into the mains with selector on ohms.
Needless to say my daughter's first multimeter has some safety features.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:33:13 am by D3f1ant »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2017, 07:33:54 am »
RadioShack/Micronta 22-201A analog in my case (long gone).

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2017, 11:26:30 am »
Heathkit V-5 VTVM. Still have it. It's been re-capped and any out of tolerance resistors replaced. Also ditched the selenium rectifier for a silicon diode in the B+ supply. Fully calibrated

My first DMM was a Fluke 77 which unfortunately was permanently damaged by a leaking battery.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:48:07 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2017, 12:19:34 pm »
It was a long time ago and I don't remember the make or model - but there are a few things I do remember...

It was early to mid 70's - and I bought it from George Brown in Sydney.  Analogue, of course, but I made sure it was 20Kohm/volt.  It cost me $20 - and I can remember laying out five $2 notes and two $5 notes to pay for it.

It served me well until one unfortunate event when set on a current range.  The was no fuse protection and the exercise proved fatal to the meter.  The ensuing vapour deposition was contained within the case, producing a very nice circle of copper about 15mm across on the inside of the back cover.

Until then, it had served me well.

Oh yes ... it had a mirrored scale, of course.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:53:49 pm by Brumby »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf