Author Topic: What would you do with 2.57 quadrillion operations per second?  (Read 11716 times)

Offline .o:0|O|0:o.Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Where is Higgs Boson?
What would you do with 2.57 quadrillion operations per second?
« on: November 15, 2010, 05:54:57 pm »
http://top500.org/lists/2010/11/press-release

I would use 128bit passwords for everything and then not bother to remember them...

.o:0|O|0:o.

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What would you do with 2.57 quadrillion operations per second?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:34:05 pm »
Run Windows Vista, it should become just about usable!
You can do anything with the right attitude and a hammer.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:35:16 pm »
descramble the playboy channel
-Time

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:56:48 pm »
Sell excess capacity to NSA :)

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:59:24 pm »
Run Windows Vista, it should become just about usable!
Or WinME . . . ugh.

I'd start by cutting a deal with the US Govt. to loan cycles to Norad in exchange for their radar data. Then I'd use the radar data to pinpoint exactly where every meteorite fell and begin selling them to build funds.
Then I'd hire everyone on the forums (you're in too Dave if you want) and pay them a ridiculous salary to design a holo-deck like EDA platform that's so intuitive a caveman could use it, with a manufacturing back end to match, and cram it in the cloud so anyone could design anything with a $100 investment in interface hardware.
Then I'd build full service chip foundries so that no place on the globe would be more than 1500km from one. By now my supercomputer (which will probably name itself Bert just to be enigmatic) will be dating both UPS and FedEx's logistics servers (they'll never find out about each other), and I can use their algorithms to ensure everyone always gets the parts they need with free shipping.
At this point we'll be well placed to leave the solar system, making it much easier to find meteorites to sell. Bert's progeny will ensure a future without want, all shoes will be comfortable, and all back pain medications will be free of pseudo-psychotropic side affects.

I'm going to go back and lie down now.  :-X

• Regular Contributor
  • Where is Higgs Boson?
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 10:32:07 pm »
I'd start by cutting a deal with the US Govt. to loan cycles to Norad in exchange for their radar data. Then I'd use the radar data to pinpoint exactly where every meteorite fell and begin selling them to build funds.
Then I'd hire everyone on the forums (you're in too Dave if you want) and pay them a ridiculous salary to design a holo-deck like EDA platform that's so intuitive a caveman could use it, with a manufacturing back end to match, and cram it in the cloud so anyone could design anything with a $100 investment in interface hardware.
Then I'd build full service chip foundries so that no place on the globe would be more than 1500km from one. By now my supercomputer (which will probably name itself Bert just to be enigmatic) will be dating both UPS and FedEx's logistics servers (they'll never find out about each other), and I can use their algorithms to ensure everyone always gets the parts they need with free shipping.
At this point we'll be well placed to leave the solar system, making it much easier to find meteorites to sell. Bert's progeny will ensure a future without want, all shoes will be comfortable, and all back pain medications will be free of pseudo-psychotropic side affects.

Wow! I would vote for that... At the rate we're going we won't even put a monkey on Mars though.  :(

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 11:19:08 pm »
I'd probably do some stupid hippie thing like register and use it for climate prediction models at climateprediction.net
Don't blame me. I'm the mechanical engineer.

Offline marianoapp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 11:25:38 pm »
the BOINC distributed computing network (Seti@Home, Folding@Home, etc) doubles this supercomputer processing power
BOINC has about 527,880 active computers (hosts) worldwide processing on average 5.428 petaFLOPS as of August 8, 2010

anyway its amazing what they have achieved, having all that processing power at your fingertips.. :droll:

• Regular Contributor
  • Where is Higgs Boson?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 05:03:17 pm »
the BOINC distributed computing network (Seti@Home, Folding@Home, etc) doubles this supercomputer processing power
BOINC has about 527,880 active computers (hosts) worldwide processing on average 5.428 petaFLOPS as of August 8, 2010

anyway its amazing what they have achieved, having all that processing power at your fingertips.. :droll:

Interesting stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_source_SHGb02%2B14a

I'm not sure the technology used to scan the skies is really sufficient at the moment other than to pick up signals by chance and then have no idea what their significance is. I am not surprised they mostly turn out to be pulsars - even if they aren't. The way they seem to be processing the data doesn't seem to be deep enough. I was thinking about the above comment by Time about decoding the Playboy channel; I think this is really the depth of processing that needs to be done (plus more - to statistically filter out all the noise).

At the moment SETI seem to be hoping for statistically significant power spikes, wow signals. Looking for for these peaks is not illogical, but then how do you really differentiate between pulsars and broadcasting planets orbitting other masses (resulting in the a similar phenomenon). Even if a planet were broadcasting, you then have to consider the possibility that its orbit coupled with the deflection, interference and time stretching effects of masses between us and them might turn a periodic signal into something that just disappears and fades for periods at a time. I am skeptical you can detect something unless it was designed to be detected across galaxies.

The hope is that alien civilisations are emitting light-house type signals in order to attract attention, but how much effort are we putting into doing that? Any intelligent civilization that had determined a statistical likelyhood of alien life would probably be scanning the skies and acting to gain intelligence first rather than giving it away as a first priority. Our civilisation could be investing in technology to periodically send massive pulses into space, but that doesn't seem to happening (even though it might be the most likely solution to making contact with a more advanced civilisation, given how limited our analysis attempts are at the moment).

If every comparably advanced civilization is behaving the way we are, then the only way we will ever know for sure that we are observing an intelligent signal is through a deep form of decoding. Afterall, why should alien broadcasts reach us in the form of "statistically significant" pulses? Perhaps it is more likely that these broadcasts will remain unremarkable in terms of strength and that we will really have to work on extracting information from noise.

Anyway...

Offline marianoapp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 05:51:01 pm »
as far as I know the SETI program is looking for specific patterns in the signals, modulation for example, and its looking for them in the hydrogen line, the quietest part of the radio spectrum

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 06:56:55 pm »
i'll build a humanoid... a female version :D
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline TheDirty

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 07:17:43 pm »
i'll build a humanoid... a female version :D

Those things are all over the place.  There might be one in your city or town right now.  You can usually tell who they are by their irrational answers to logical questions.
j/k Don't hurt me ladies.
Mark Higgins

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 08:01:21 pm »
Those things are all over the place.  There might be one in your city or town right now.  You can usually tell who they are by their irrational answers to logical questions.
j/k Don't hurt me ladies.
no.. not that one. i know they are alot in japan. but not that one. i'm talking about the one that you cannot tell if its the real one or not.... intelligently ;) the japanese one are more realistic.. physically. and attractive :D

ps: SETI is quite educational for me from the past few minutes/hour reading it ;) what interests me is how human mind's imagination..... ah! i dont know how to tell in a short sentence. maybe we are looking too far that we forget what God has given to us.. a magnificent design that we take for granted.... our brain/intel and how to use it wisely.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Regular Contributor
  • Where is Higgs Boson?
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 02:13:53 am »
While we are on these far out topics, I thought I would post a link to a weird article regarding the nature of time and how we are able to perceive it in a way that contraddicts the way we normally think of time. The following is serious recent research by an MIT graduate with a physics background and a PhD in psychology. So far no one has been able to find flaws in the experimental approach detailed.

http://dbem.ws/
http://dbem.ws/FeelingFuture.pdf

Enjoy!

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 02:25:43 am »
I'm with Hawkins on the point that I see no reason to beam out to the Galaxy "hey, w're here".

For all we know the one who spot us is the Klingon Empire or close friends of them...

On the other side, I assume the fingerprint of all the atomic bombs that where detonated may already set up a nice bright "Stupid species that think to know something here" sign.

but on topic, I really really want to know if it's really 42.

edit: somwhat more readable intro into that feelingfuture stuff: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/11/feeling-the-future-is-precognition-possible/ and links to people who cannot replicate the result.... ;D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:40:12 am by polossatik »
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

• Regular Contributor
  • Where is Higgs Boson?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 02:53:08 am »
The only problem I have with this research is the use of the word "premonition". It suggests a magical explanation when it seems to me that it is just a matter of reinterpreting the concept of time. I think the term is useful in putting across the overall idea, but that once people have understood the experiment, they should clarify that it is really a matter of time not working instant by instant and that it appears that the relative present can be thought of as some kind of probability/Gaussian curve (maybe the positive part only) rather than an impulse function, so that the immediate future already exists to some extent in what we might call the present.

I wonder how the effect could be replicated in an electronic circuit? Presumably someone has thought about it already...

• Regular Contributor
  • Where is Higgs Boson?
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 03:30:11 am »
Well, I might add that it appears that some have tried to replicate the experiment, though unsuccessfully. Who knows. I still don't believe we have a very definitive understanding of time and space. If everything is built on the strange probabilistic quantum world then in all likelyhood what we see as space and time are really macro-world summations of probabilities: probability functions themselves.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:32:01 am by .o:0|O|0:o. »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 04:29:51 am »
i think we should wait our scientist to establish 4th, 5th and so on dimension. before they do, there is nothing to prove, and it will pointless to argue. we know who we are, this is not a psycho site. "you may believe whatever you want to believe. if you only believe what you feel, hear and saw with your own eyes, then its just an electrical impulses interpreted by our brain" - morpheus - . Cheers and enjoy the world ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:37:14 am by shafri »

Offline marianoapp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 04:46:20 am »
i think we should wait our scientist to establish 4th, 5th and so on dimension. before they do, there is nothing to prove, and it will pointless to argue. we know who we are, this is not a psycho site. "you may believe whatever you want to believe. if you only believe what you feel, hear and saw with your own eyes, then its just an electrical impulses interpreted by our brain" - morpheus - . Cheers and enjoy the world ;)

4 or 5? check the Membrane Theory.. 11 dimensions  ;D

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 04:57:34 am »
i said... "and so on" i dont even care how much they got. i only care how a cappucino and a martini tastes ;D nice link though ;)

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 08:06:26 am »
I don't know what I'd do but I'd certainly be doing very quickly  :D

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 11:25:04 am »
I'd put that horsepower to good use and go at least some of the way towards
undoing the damage being done by this clueless vandal.

Offline tyblu

• Frequent Contributor
    • blog.tyblu.ca
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 01:46:55 pm »
I would watch videos of cats on YouTube.
Tyler Lucas, electronics hobbyist

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 02:32:52 pm »
2 chicks at the same time
-Time

• Regular Contributor
  • Where is Higgs Boson?
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 02:52:23 pm »
Reading the news today, I discovered what the Chinese might use the processing power for (as though western governments aren't playing the same games):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/8142267/China-hijacks-15-per-cent-of-worlds-internet-traffic.html

In recent times I have been receiving SYN port scan attacks (and others) like mad; all from major Chinese university centres and sometimes with a frequency of one attack per minute - just as unwelcome as the scan attacks from the US a few years ago.

I can easily see western governments exploiting the "national security" concept to regulate and censor the Internet: encourage everyone to get online first though... Ironic that we accuse China of Internet censorship.

Offline CryptLordGR

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 10:30:45 pm »
playing chess with such a computer, easily winning it cause i will program it so and putting Kasparov to lose again from machine :evil:

Offline House91320

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 10:52:23 pm »
I think the better question is, what wouldn't you do with 2.57 quadrillion operations per second? ;D

Offline CryptLordGR

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 11:07:33 pm »
you wouldnt for sure use them for work :P only for playing with some small % of it

Offline Boloop

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 05:29:59 pm »
Pinky: "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
The Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world!"

But the reality is, I don't know. I do run a few long operations that take a couple of days to complete, mostly cracking small keys I make as a hobby. But There is other software I write that needs to go through soo many loops it will take many many years to complete. I think I we all should try and write more efficient software, but try and parallelize it as much as possible. With multi core machines these days. 
Boloop

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf