Author Topic: What's this please? (Component Advice)  (Read 1221069 times)

Offline qoole

• Contributor
Re: What's this please? (Component Advice)
« Reply #1475 on: February 27, 2019, 10:33:33 am »
Morning all!

This is from a air blend motor from a BMW.
The chip is not a package I have ever seen before and I cannot find a datasheet for it either.

Does anyone have any details or insight?

Thanks,
Alex 2

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #1476 on: February 27, 2019, 01:47:11 pm »
Why couldn't it be just a BGA package soldered into the custom assembly?

Typical mass-market automotive sub-assembly engineered to the nth degree.
Quite typical to see a completely custom semiconductor
or maybe a selected commodity part, but with a proprietary internal "house-number"

It may be a custom package, but then it may be a standard power BGA package.
Can you take the dimensions of the package and research that?

Offline qoole

• Contributor
« Reply #1477 on: February 27, 2019, 02:09:41 pm »
Here are some photos with a scale (mm).

I have also removed the chip from the housing to see if there was anything on the underside, sadly not.
You're probably right in that it's something completely benign in a custom case.
In this case something like a brushless motor controller IC.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1478 on: February 27, 2019, 03:48:04 pm »
Motorola SC512502YTM is listed as "specialized hot IC" at various Hong Kong based parts suppliers.
If it’s broken, you can try and order one of those and see if it fixes your problem. If you are curious about what it actually does you might have to ask Motorola for a spec-/datasheet.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1479 on: February 27, 2019, 05:18:11 pm »
What year BMW are we talking about?

Does Motorola still own any semiconductor divisions? They've sold them all off, I think.

Offline Fortran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1480 on: March 01, 2019, 06:57:31 am »
So I need to find out what temp sensor this is..
My guess is a KTY82/210.
Can anyone confirm that, or am I just wrong?

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1481 on: March 01, 2019, 03:58:30 pm »
So I need to find out what temp sensor this is..
My guess is a KTY82/210.
Can anyone confirm that, or am I just wrong?

I think you are right!  :)

The following users thanked this post: Fortran

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #1482 on: March 12, 2019, 05:21:30 pm »
Can anyone ID this IC, please?

I got it from a canon digital camera powered by two AA cells and seems to control a mosfet for the boost/dc-dc for the xenon flash tube. I could see four control lines but shorting them to ground or supply (with various combinations) and nothing seems to happen. I would like to make it work to play with :)

Googling for the numbers did not turn up anything useful. Flash control IC turns out mostly LED drivers for mobile phone flash.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1483 on: March 12, 2019, 06:11:47 pm »

I got it from a canon digital camera powered by two AA cells and seems to control a mosfet for the boost/dc-dc for the xenon flash tube. I could see four control lines but shorting them to ground or supply (with various combinations) and nothing seems to happen. I would like to make it work to play with :)

Googling for the numbers did not turn up anything useful. Flash control IC turns out mostly LED drivers for mobile phone flash.

Here you go:

http://www.ti.com/product/TPS65560

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps65560.pdf
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #1484 on: March 13, 2019, 02:34:59 am »

Here you go:

http://www.ti.com/product/TPS65560

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps65560.pdf

Perfect. Thank you!

The following users thanked this post: frozenfrogz

Offline AE7OO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1485 on: April 04, 2019, 02:12:29 pm »
In reply to #1298
Well unless I'm mistaken they are the same as this part.  In which case they are varicaps/varactor  diodes.
In a way these came to me the same as you.  My father in law was an old time electronics guy(Air Force in the 60's an he was also a Ham).  When he passed I inherited all of his collection of "stuff".
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:15:16 pm by AE7OO »

Offline onstafftech

« Reply #1486 on: April 08, 2019, 09:42:42 pm »
Hello everyone,

Not sure if I am posting correctly as I have never used a forum before but here goes  :)

In any case I have a question about a strange component I am trying to identify. I am in no way an engineer but I do enjoy all electronics.

Can you help?

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #1487 on: April 08, 2019, 09:47:05 pm »
Full Bridge Rectifier
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1488 on: April 08, 2019, 09:52:48 pm »
Hello everyone,

Not sure if I am posting correctly as I have never used a forum before but here goes  :)

In any case I have a question about a strange component I am trying to identify. I am in no way an engineer but I do enjoy all electronics.

Can you help?

From context and markings on chip and board, it's obviously a bridge rectifier in a DIP package.

Offline dnotq

• Contributor
« Reply #1489 on: April 18, 2019, 06:38:12 pm »
I'm trying to identify the two female sockets on this PCB so I can find mating male connectors (so I can build my own module).  This is from a GRiD 1520 Laptop computer and was made in 1988.  The connectors are 0.05" / 1.27mm pitch (measured), the short one is 40 pins, the long one is 60 pins.  These are used as a small form-factor PC-AT 16-bit ISA bus to allow expansion modules to be plugged into the laptop (a 268 compatible).

Hours of searching has lead me to nothing.  I cannot even find a photo of any of the alleged modules that were made for this laptop, other than a small part of a diagram from an advertisement from back in the day.

The only markings I can find on either connector (aside from the bottom which I cannot see without desoldering the connector) is the number "8111" followed by a triangle (see photos).  The 60-pin connector has the number 8037 and the same triangle symbol.  I don't know if those are batch numbers or related to the part number, or if the triangle is a pin-1 reference or a manufacturer mark.

If anyone can identify these, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matthew

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1490 on: April 18, 2019, 07:40:23 pm »
Those look like card edge connectors to me, which would explain the lack of male connectors for it. The male connector would be the edge of a PCB with contacts on it.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #1491 on: April 18, 2019, 08:26:08 pm »
Yes, looks like card edge connectors. The C64 uses this one for the user port. In the datasheet is the recommended footprint for the daughter cards. The standard 1.6 mm PCB thickness works well for it.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #1492 on: April 18, 2019, 09:01:33 pm »
Those are bog-standard PC board edge-connectors.
When you design your module, simply include the matching "fingers" on the end of the PC board.
They are typically gold-plated for reliabilty.

Offline dnotq

• Contributor
« Reply #1493 on: April 18, 2019, 10:48:50 pm »
I considered the same thing (card edge), but these points make the think it has a mate:

* If it is a card edge, the offset nature of the connectors would make a very strange configuration for the module plugging into it.  Staggered PCBs seems a little odd.

* At around 5:20 in this video the engineer takes a module out of the system, and although he never shows the interface end directly, you can see (briefly) there is a connector vs a card edge:

* These laptops are really well made and having a card-edge connector for an external devices does not fix with the design of the system.

* The Ethernet module manual shows what looks like connectors.  Unfortunately it is all line drawings and there is no actual photo of the module.

* Some advertising for the 1500 Series shows a drawing of a module that looks like there are connectors.

Online oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time
« Reply #1494 on: April 19, 2019, 12:04:44 am »
The mating connector may be similar to the Hirose FX2 series.

Offline dnotq

• Contributor
« Reply #1495 on: April 19, 2019, 12:28:22 am »
I looked that that, but the FX2 is D-shaped.  It is too bad the HiRose website is awful for searching!  I wonder if they ever heard of taking nice photos of their products?

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1496 on: April 19, 2019, 01:06:22 am »
* If it is a card edge, the offset nature of the connectors would make a very strange configuration for the module plugging into it.  Staggered PCBs seems a little odd.
Your own pictures/drawings say that strange or not, the connectors are both used in an offset configuration for the ethernet cartridge. The PCB's don't have to be staggered, just the connectors.

* At around 5:20 in this video the engineer takes a module out of the system, and although he never shows the interface end directly, you can see (briefly) there is a connector vs a card edge:
The SCSI cartridge in the video appears to only use one of the connectors. I guess that's the nature of general-purpose expansion connectors.

* These laptops are really well made and having a card-edge connector for an external devices does not fix with the design of the system.
Let's flip that question. What would appropriate connectors for this design look like for an end-user quick-release future-expansion cartridge interface? We already know the answer isn't any kind of header pin arrangement.

* The Ethernet module manual shows what looks like connectors.  Unfortunately it is all line drawings and there is no actual photo of the module.

* Some advertising for the 1500 Series shows a drawing of a module that looks like there are connectors.
You have a point. Perhaps some sort of right-angle panel-mount fingerboard connector was available back then? Unless you obtain good pictures of one of those unobtainium modules, you may never know. It's possible many of them only existed as prototypes and never made it to market.

Nonetheless, it doesn't change what it looks like. Odds are you can use a PCB for your interface to those connectors. You should be able to confirm that easily enough with simple experiments. Alternately, you could replace "Denny's" board entirely and interface to the easily-mated pin headers and do whatever you want if you need the quick-release feature.

Offline dnotq

• Contributor
« Reply #1497 on: April 19, 2019, 04:11:50 am »
So I have a confirmation from someone who has seen one of the mystery modules, and they said it has a connector.  They also said they have tried to identify the connectors and could not.  I am trying to find an actual photo of one though.  The modules were produced in some quantity, they were not just prototypes, so they are out there somewhere.

Going ahead and using a PCB is possible, but I think it would be problematic since the thickness would have to be 2mm / 0.078", which is pretty think and not a "standard" 2 or 4 layer PCB.

Yup, I could also make my own backplane, and that is starting to look like more of a reasonable possibility, especially since I have managed to identify the lower connectors which are this series from AMP:

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-5-103911-2.html

Be that as it may, I would still like to identify the upper connectors in question.

Offline dnotq

• Contributor
« Reply #1498 on: April 19, 2019, 06:23:16 am »
Found it!  3M-PAK50 Series, specifically:

Socket 40 pin: P51-040S-S1-EA
Socket 60 pin: P51-060S-S1-EA

Plug 40 pin, right angle: P51-040P-SR1-EA
Plug 60 pin, right angle: P51-060P-SR1-EA

Of course, almost impossible to find in stock anywhere.  I think making a new version of the backplane will be more cost effective.  But, at least I know what the connector is in case I want to be a purist. ;-)

Thanks everyone for the help.
Matthew

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1499 on: April 19, 2019, 07:07:56 am »
Good job! Don't give up yet. It appears their P50E series is compatible with P50, and it's available. Mouser claims to have the 40 pin right-angle plug in stock, and you can ask them about ordering the 60 pin one. Or you can try other vendors.

http://www.mouser.com/access/?pn=P50E-040P1-SR1-EA
http://www.mouser.com/access/?pn=P50E-060P1-SR1-EA

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf