Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2298896 times)

netdudeuk and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cvriv

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1725 on: December 24, 2015, 08:47:26 pm »
I dont generally like using large solid pieces of wood like 2x8's etc, because they tend to be warped to all hell or will. I like to make my own boards because they are straight and true. Ill see about making some changes to the bottom floor thing. I dont plan on really storing anything down there other than my feet when im sitting at the bench but you never know. Mabe ill add two more, or how about the front and back brace will be a whole 2x4. I think ill do that.

Each wood brace as notches at each end that will be cut using a forstner bit. This way the pipes will fit snug into these grooves.

The top shelves are 18" wide and 5' in length. The desk is 7' long. I have the shelves 2' shorter because i am going to have some displays mounted to the desk where the shelves fall short. If i ever need more shelf space, i could probably add another level without having to worry about it tipping over or ill just building another desk when that time comes.

The space between the shelves being 12". Do you think thats to much? Is there any piece of equipment, that could fit on that 18" shelf, thats 12" or even greater?

Maybe ill add some more horizontal braces all around.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1726 on: December 24, 2015, 11:23:27 pm »
Do you have a bunch of old T&M gear that you need 18" deep shelves?  I have 12" shelves and the only thing that hung off the back was my Tek 2235 scope until I built a cart from scrap lumber in the garage. 12" height will let you stack stuff, which will be useful as you only have 2 shelves.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1727 on: December 25, 2015, 01:00:03 am »
I have the shelves 2' shorter because i am going to have some displays mounted to the desk where the shelves fall short.
That makes sense.

The space between the shelves being 12". Do you think thats to much? Is there any piece of equipment, that could fit on that 18" shelf, thats 12" or even greater?
Generally speaking, it should be fine. But there are pieces of gear taller than that, such as a Tektronix 7934 (deeper than 18" too).

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1728 on: December 25, 2015, 07:05:00 am »
I wanted test equipment at eye level but also deep shelves. The problem with deep shelves you lose work space or sit way back from your gear and the wall with a deep table.

So with that in mind I settled on longspan shelving (rated at around 300Kg/650lbs per shelf) that sits free standing right over my whole table and sliding draws (small part of it shown in crappy photo, ignore TV on table).

My table can be adjusted at any working depth and height or fully removed to use as a 360 degree work space, can even hammer on it without affecting my gear.

The longspan shelving comes in any size but I went for 2' (600mm) deep and 8' (2400mm) wide. As it's modular and free standing I can break it down, move and adjust it.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline cvriv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1729 on: December 27, 2015, 05:23:35 am »
Ok. I finished the design. I'm going to start purchasing everything I need today.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #1730 on: December 27, 2015, 08:56:41 am »
I'd ditch those shelve bars on very bottom, as it's often to have lack of legroom. But that's me (190cm tall), could work for more average height people ..
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1731 on: December 27, 2015, 10:36:44 am »
I'd ditch those shelve bars on very bottom, as it's often to have lack of legroom. But that's me (190cm tall), could work for more average height people ..
I agree. Space under a desk should be free up to the wall.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1732 on: December 27, 2015, 01:12:18 pm »
I agree. Space under a desk should be free up to the wall.

I am 6' tall myself and I have a 12" storage shelf on the bottom.  My bench is also 33" deep so the shelf doesn't affect leg room.  Among other things, the APC Smart-UPS 1500 for all the outlets on the bench sits there.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1733 on: December 27, 2015, 01:33:49 pm »
Any sort of shelf under a bench ends up as a foot rest which can be a real plus.

Offline cvriv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1734 on: December 27, 2015, 10:18:00 pm »
Lol. Most likely.

Offline cvriv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1735 on: December 27, 2015, 10:21:32 pm »
The storage shelf on the bottom is also a structural component for the desk. The desk is 34+ inches tall and 36 inches deep. Im only 5'7 so this is going to be a huge bench for me. Its going to be an expensive desk too. Argh. I need around 90 2x4's to build this desk. Thats about 200 bucks right right. Oh well.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1736 on: December 27, 2015, 10:40:35 pm »
The storage shelf on the bottom is also a structural component for the desk. The desk is 34+ inches tall and 36 inches deep. Im only 5'7 so this is going to be a huge bench for me. Its going to be an expensive desk too. Argh. I need around 90 2x4's to build this desk. Thats about 200 bucks right right. Oh well.
Why not cut back on the 2"x4"'s to those needed for frames/support roles, and use 3/4" finish grade plywood for the surfaces of the top & shelves?

Offline cvriv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1737 on: December 28, 2015, 12:41:38 am »
Why not cut back on the 2"x4"'s to those needed for frames/support roles, and use 3/4" finish grade plywood for the surfaces of the top & shelves?

Yea, that definitely has crossed my mind. It would save me a ton of time and money. I'll have to think about it long and hard, because I really had my mind set on doing the solid pine top. I made solid pine tops for another desk I use and I absolutely love it. The thing is that the surfaces for this bench are a hell of a lot larger than the other desk. The other desk has a surface that is made up of several smaller surfaces. If I did the plywood method, I would have to join several smaller pieces together to form one larger piece as I can not get home one large single piece. I think I am jsut goign to suck it up and do it the harder and more expensive route. I really want solid pine tops. Other than the desk I mentioned already, you should see the queen size bed I made. It's heavy as hell. Maybe I'll post pics of past work later.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1738 on: December 28, 2015, 01:04:39 am »

Yea, that definitely has crossed my mind. It would save me a ton of time and money. I'll have to think about it long and hard, because I really had my mind set on doing the solid pine top. I made solid pine tops for another desk I use and I absolutely love it. The thing is that the surfaces for this bench are a hell of a lot larger than the other desk. The other desk has a surface that is made up of several smaller surfaces. If I did the plywood method, I would have to join several smaller pieces together to form one larger piece as I can not get home one large single piece. I think I am jsut goign to suck it up and do it the harder and more expensive route. I really want solid pine tops. Other than the desk I mentioned already, you should see the queen size bed I made. It's heavy as hell. Maybe I'll post pics of past work later.
You'd be able to replicate the look of solid pine by veneering it on top of plywood, MDF, or particle board. That way you can save time and money, and still join pieces beneath the pine veneer without it ever being seen.  ;)

Should be feasible, as that is a lot of pine to buy and time spent to plane it down and glue up if you just use 2x4's.

Offline cvriv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1739 on: December 28, 2015, 01:31:34 am »

You'd be able to replicate the look of solid pine by veneering it on top of plywood, MDF, or particle board. That way you can save time and money, and still join pieces beneath the pine veneer without it ever being seen.  ;)

Should be feasible, as that is a lot of pine to buy and time spent to plane it down and glue up if you just use 2x4's.

Yea I know. Its not really a matter of it looking like pine. Im a bit weird and you would have to know me personally to understand. I'll know its not solid pine and every time I go to sit down at the bench, it will haunt me. Haunt me. I am a bit of a perfectionist as well. I have remade things in the past numerous times because even the smallest flaws are overwhelming to me.

I plan on spending a lot of time at this bench so I think I will just do it the way I had it planned out for a while now. I know its kind fo stupid, but for me it's not. 

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1740 on: December 28, 2015, 01:47:57 am »
My uncle made a benchtop for my shed that way using meranti (I think). It looked better than my dinner table especially after I finished it with laquer so it is worth the trouble if you want a good looking desk.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline cvriv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1741 on: December 28, 2015, 03:08:08 am »
I totally agree. Its not just good looking, its solid. A solid piece of wood and its such a beautiful thing. Even cheap pine, if its done right, looks amazing.

Offline cvriv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1742 on: December 28, 2015, 04:33:36 pm »
I ordered all the plumbing parts needed for the work bench. I'm wondering... you think it would be OK if I created a worklog here for this bench? It's going to be a lot of work and very satisfying to watch. I haven't done a worklog in years.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1743 on: December 28, 2015, 04:47:28 pm »
Please, but make it a separate thread, and just link it here.

Offline cvriv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1744 on: December 28, 2015, 05:08:02 pm »

Most definitely. Thanks.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1745 on: December 28, 2015, 08:20:34 pm »
Seconded.  :-+

Offline Planobilly

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1746 on: December 31, 2015, 01:32:02 pm »
What a mess...lol

Something about a pig on stilts comes to mind...lol

To much stuff, to little time, to little space...lol

Billy

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1747 on: January 01, 2016, 02:25:35 am »
What a mess...lol

Naw - I seen a lot worse ... a whole lot worse.  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline FireFlower

• Regular Contributor
  • Wish had a cabin in Lappland
« Reply #1748 on: January 11, 2016, 11:12:21 pm »
Small update on my bench...

The used flea-market table:

Start of the project (XP-code is a fake, so thanks no need to remind about that)

Measuring correct distance for legs

Currently:

I wanted to make modular design so I can make another shelf without problem and it is super sturdy, you can mount tool racks to legs etc. Also shelve is not bolted down to main table and main table is not bolted to its legs. Easy to disassemble if needed.

Now just have to hope University dumps a good oscilloscope and some old bench power supply units in spring/summer.

To do:
- Lighting (led strips probably)
- Tool racks side of the legs
- ESD / earthing / better electrical installation with timer switch
- Mount for microscope
- More tools
- Another shelf
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:17:04 pm by FireFlower »

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #1749 on: January 12, 2016, 12:35:37 am »
Is it my imagination or was this thread >110 pages long?
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf