Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2298464 times)

Offline ANTALIFE

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1800 on: February 23, 2016, 07:56:49 pm »
Just finished making this tiny thing, live in a small apartment so have to be really efficient about space.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #1801 on: February 23, 2016, 08:03:37 pm »
Just finished making this tiny thing, live in a small apartment so have to be really efficient about space.

Looks good.  Any chance you could show details of the joints and connectors?  Do you have a table saw?  Good job on the top part, that is why I would like to see how you make it.
Thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline TSL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1802 on: February 23, 2016, 08:24:27 pm »

Well done - that looks great !
VK2XAX :: QF56if :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSATVK

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1803 on: February 23, 2016, 09:05:25 pm »

Nice work. I assume the "tower" on the right is 19in standard to rackmount stuff? :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline ANTALIFE

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
« Reply #1804 on: February 24, 2016, 09:35:33 am »

Looks good.  Any chance you could show details of the joints and connectors?  Do you have a table saw?  Good job on the top part, that is why I would like to see how you make it.
Thanks
Cheers, here http://imgur.com/a/EgmdF is a link to an album where I've crudely drawn the screw location. Might be of help?

Well done - that looks great !
Thanks m8

Nice work. I assume the "tower" on the right is 19in standard to rackmount stuff? :)

McBryce.
Cheers, and nope I just measured the width of my Tektronix 2235 and set that as the driving factor. Though using a more standard length would have been more clever now that you mention it.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1805 on: February 24, 2016, 09:50:14 am »
Hmmm, the 2235 is a 14 or 15in case as far as I remember. So you'll be missing 5in if you get any rack-sized equipment.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline 128er

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1806 on: February 27, 2016, 04:23:59 pm »
Hi,
I moved into a new apartment and now have a slightly bigger workbench. Old bench is on page 28 in this topic.

These drawer units with casters are great! A lot of space for tools and at the same time it's a pretty useful movable bench.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 04:29:36 pm by 128er »

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1807 on: February 29, 2016, 11:50:48 am »
I won't even begin to imagine what fit of rage the gerry can is for.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1808 on: February 29, 2016, 01:21:41 pm »
Why does everyone leave such a small bench surface for actually working? Most of the benches I've seen couldn't accommodate a decent size audio amplifier, let alone a large piece of equipment.
Perhaps everyone just works on tiny little smd boards!

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1809 on: February 29, 2016, 01:36:57 pm »
That's the problem I found when looking through this thread for ideas. I work on everything from small boards all the way upto portable (camping) fridges and small ish (upto 7kva) generators. I ended up going with an electronics area and a separate area for larger items.

I have been waiting for it to be clean enough to take photos and upload here, but I don't think that's going to happen so I will take some photos and upload them anyway.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1810 on: February 29, 2016, 01:41:25 pm »
Why does everyone leave such a small bench surface for actually working? Most of the benches I've seen couldn't accommodate a decent size audio amplifier, let alone a large piece of equipment.

I found myself asking the same question... Then again..
My bench right now is very crowded and I have enough room to actually work on something......
Sue AF6LJ

Offline 128er

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1811 on: February 29, 2016, 04:24:39 pm »

That is where the drawer unit comes in handy. In the last time I repaired big VFDs (18kW), or a Kenwood transceiver. I have the disassembled gear on the drawer unit and can place it wherever I need. For smaller projects the bench space is enough for me.

Offline 128er

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1812 on: February 29, 2016, 04:27:06 pm »

It's only an empty water can of the german army from 1941. But maybe good for IPA  ;)

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1813 on: February 29, 2016, 11:16:34 pm »

It's only an empty water can of the german army from 1941. But maybe good for IPA  ;)

That's a lot of IPA.
You could turn the jerry can into an amusing wall installation. Make a nice neat frame and mounting hooks for it, plus a box of matches under a glass enclosure. Stencil the jerry can with something like "If all hope abandoned, break glass."
Probably better not actually have IPA/petrol in the can. Some people can be so literal minded.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1814 on: March 01, 2016, 01:18:45 am »

That's a lot of IPA.
You could turn the jerry can into an amusing wall installation. Make a nice neat frame and mounting hooks for it, plus a box of matches under a glass enclosure. Stencil the jerry can with something like "If all hope abandoned, break glass."
Probably better not actually have IPA/petrol in the can. Some people can be so literal minded.

Of course, you must have it all next to the big red button that says "DON'T PUSH!"
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline glicos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1815 on: March 01, 2016, 01:37:20 am »
Messed up but will do...repairing a Behringer mixer..just resting for a while and reading some stuff here in EEVBLOG

Offline tjeulink

• Contributor
« Reply #1816 on: March 01, 2016, 09:00:26 am »
my lab mainly consists of random electronic junk im probing and the multimeter with a blown fuse i borrowed from my neighbor  :-//
scrap that, i'm talking crap again.

Offline Wirehead

• Regular Contributor
    • Wirehead.be
« Reply #1817 on: March 01, 2016, 09:31:14 am »
I like a clean uncluttered desk.. :)
The desk is about 85cm deep - that's about 33 inches. Nice and spacious :)

I mostly repair amplifiers (solid state) / (full auto / linear) turntables / anything audio - so that amount of space is nice to have.
The large screen in the corner is perfect to display schematics, etc.. while you're poking around with the DMM/scope or when designing some boards. And yes, one of the DMM's is the dreaded Vichy VC99 >:D It's good enough for what I do.

During daytime, I get a nice amount of natural light (facing south) - so it's a pleasure to work at :) Sorry for the grainy picture, it was late in the evening... :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:45:10 am by Wirehead »
"to remain static is to lose ground"

Offline karoru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1818 on: March 01, 2016, 03:57:32 pm »
Hi,
I moved into a new apartment and now have a slightly bigger workbench. Old bench is on page 28 in this topic.

These drawer units with casters are great! A lot of space for tools and at the same time it's a pretty useful movable bench.
How much for that lovely Faketronix appliance? :D

Offline OiD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1819 on: March 01, 2016, 10:18:20 pm »
After a lot of thought and looking at benches I finally set out to build my own. I'ts nearly finished. Need to get the computer monitor and lighting sorted out but I am very pleased for now.
I'll try to tidy it up a bit (I have a hard time no getting distracted with other projects that tend to take up half of the space...) and take some photos. I'ts changed alot from my original plans I made in CAD. Keep posting inpiring benches (that means any bench that is made to solve a particular problem  :-/O )

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1820 on: March 02, 2016, 05:30:04 am »
Update...  Pic of 1/2 the shop in progress.  Yes, it's a complete and total mess in this picture.  Cleaned up since.

Old shop = 20x50 building, heated, air conditioned, insulated, etc.  Well lit.  3ft bench all the way around the walls plus movable tables in the middle.

New shop = 30x80 building, heated, but not air conditioned yet (in work), insulated, sound proofed.  Only 1/2 done so far.  Remaining half in work now.  ETA of another few months.  ~3ft deep work bench all the way around, roughly 130ft+ of work bench.  Repurposed 18" tall kitchen cabinets above the bench, 22 installed so far, another ~30 to go, 2ft deep shelf over the top of the cabinets.  200 amp service to the building.  Concrete floors front and rear.  Plan on laying down some of that rubber flooring near the work benches...take care of the foot fatigue.  In-floor radiant heat to the back half of the building (the part that's not done yet).  R60 in the ceiling, total R22 in the concrete block walls, R12 on the 16ft garage door.  8 south facing single hung insulated 36x24 windows.  2- 5KW electric heaters in the front, 2 more in the back.  2- 4ftx8ft 'tables' made from 12 kitchen base cabinets with a piece of 3/4" ply over the top of each, both on castoring wheels.  Enough base cabinets left over to build 3 more of them.  Total of 1.5KW of fluorescent lights in the front half, 2KW planned for the back half where the 'clean work' will take place, including another roughly 1KW of lighting under the overhead cabinets shining directly down on all of the workbenches.
All it's missing is a killer stereo system to blast out some Iron Maiden while I'm doing the sensitive stuff.
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Offline stejep

• Contributor
« Reply #1821 on: March 02, 2016, 08:00:46 am »
Here is a current photo of my electronics workbench.

This is only 1/8 of my shed, the rest of for other hobbies.

Offline OiD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1822 on: March 03, 2016, 09:40:45 am »
Here is a current photo of my electronics workbench.

This is only 1/8 of my shed, the rest of for other hobbies.

Is that some core memory?

Offline stejep

• Contributor
« Reply #1823 on: March 03, 2016, 11:19:07 am »
Yep, that is 8K of core memory. I may get the microscope camera onto it and post some photos.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1824 on: March 03, 2016, 09:12:12 pm »
Hey, I have one of those "Live free or die" UNIX plates too. :)
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf