Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2298616 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1925 on: April 10, 2016, 06:30:44 pm »
More upgrades, bench related.

Previously all my probes and test cables were stuffed away in a drawer in another room. I had some left over lumber from a previous project and decided to put it to good use. A probe rack on a wall directly opposite my bench for ready access. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:19:58 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1926 on: April 10, 2016, 08:08:32 pm »
For test leads I use some this: http://image.made-in-china.com/43f34j00GMATrVERgFgJ/Plastic-PVC-Channel-Slotted-Track-Cable-Tray-Wiring-Duct.jpg wire ducting.

Cut one of the sides off, screw it to the wall (holes already in the plastic) and it's cheap as chips (the edible ones).

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1927 on: April 11, 2016, 10:44:12 am »
this is mine  :)

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1928 on: April 12, 2016, 09:21:07 am »
@gamalot Love the U1253B OLED, despite the recharging PITA, it a great meter.++++
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline TinkerFan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1929 on: April 12, 2016, 09:50:54 am »
@gamalot and all the others who manage to keep their desks tidy:
How do you do that?? As soon as I start something, it gets messy as hell, even though my desk is not so small (About 2m²)..

"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1930 on: April 12, 2016, 10:30:52 am »
When I realise that there's not enough space on my desk to put my current PCB down without starting a pile, I then stop all project work and have a clean-up day (and also take a photo for this thread :) ).

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Sbampato12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1931 on: April 12, 2016, 12:21:46 pm »
Intense fight night with a 5kV power supply, took a cellphone photo (sorry), before sleep.

I hope I can clean up a bit this weekend, this is getting hard to work on this bench..... ::)

Online gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1932 on: April 12, 2016, 04:45:31 pm »
@gamalot Love the U1253B OLED, despite the recharging PITA, it a great meter.++++

Did you mean "pain in the ass"? Yolo, my English sucks  :'(

I guess it's the reason why they give up on using OLED display in their new U128x meters.

Online gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1933 on: April 12, 2016, 04:47:52 pm »
How do you do that?? As soon as I start something, it gets messy as hell, even though my desk is not so small (About 2m²)..

I have to do some clean up everyday cuz I share this room with my son, I don't wanna be a bad example  :) :)

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1934 on: April 12, 2016, 05:01:52 pm »
Every Friday afternoon is clear up day. So, I put all the tools away in the right places, all the parts go back in the right boxes and each project gets returned to it's own storage box. I then clean the work benches and vacuum the floor. After the weekend it all starts again but every Monday I have a visitor and his mother so at least they get to see a clean workshop.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Sbampato12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1935 on: April 12, 2016, 05:14:13 pm »

I have to do some clean up everyday cuz I share this room with my son, I don't wanna be a bad example  :) :)

This could be my case someday, but for now, without any son I may need another strong scuse to do it.... :)

Every Friday afternoon is clear up day. So, I put all the tools away in the right places, all the parts go back in the right boxes and each project gets returned to it's own storage box. I then clean the work benches and vacuum the floor. After the weekend it all starts again but every Monday I have a visitor and his mother so at least they get to see a clean workshop.

Mine problem is that this is mine cave, so basically just I get inside, neither my wife come here... But I don't like to work like that, not a clean room, but not like that. I'm moving in this 'new' lab, so I don't get all the storages, box and shelves yet... Maybe this later....

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1936 on: April 12, 2016, 05:15:49 pm »
I have almost a fetish about keeping the bench neat and clean. There are only four items that have a permanent spot on my bench top: keyboard, monitor/PC, jar for pens,pencils etc., and a jar used as a small wastebasket. Everything else sits up on a shelf. Usually only one project is worked on at a time, and every project has a box that it and all its parts are stored in. Inactive project boxes are stored out of the way in a drawer or in a closet.

Offline Fortran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1937 on: April 21, 2016, 04:31:08 pm »
Since I just cleaned my lab I figured now would be a good opportunity to post a photo here.
Usually you can hardly see the bench.

Offline japasetelagoas

• Regular Contributor
  • Just an ordinary electronics hobbyist.
« Reply #1938 on: April 24, 2016, 06:46:57 pm »
Proud to be a member of this forum, and there's nothing better than showing my workbench/lab as first post.
It used to be a music studio back when I was not into electronics as I'm today (hence the drum kit and guitars laying around).

The Holy Grail

That's all guys, hopefully I'll be an active member here at the EEV.

The endless river...

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1939 on: April 24, 2016, 07:25:32 pm »
Proud to be a member of this forum, and there's nothing better than showing my workbench/lab as first post.
It used to be a music studio back when I was not into electronics as I'm today (hence the drum kit and guitars laying around).

The Holy Grail

Welcome to the forum. I see the lamps above the bench are very bright. What are they?

Offline japasetelagoas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1940 on: April 24, 2016, 07:53:53 pm »

Welcome to the forum. I see the lamps above the bench are very bright. What are they?

Thanks sotos. That's a lighting fixture made by a Brazilian company called Taschibra, two LED strips with 55 LED's and 10W on each strip, 6500K temperature color, I actually attached those to the workbench two days ago, using some angle brackets and scrap MDF.

The endless river...

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1941 on: April 24, 2016, 09:23:36 pm »
Nice bench..
Sue AF6LJ

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1942 on: April 24, 2016, 10:26:06 pm »
japasetelagoas that's a very pleasant room, and nice work area. Also welcome to the forum!

But the strips of MDF holding up those lights... I'd suggest hunting around for some real wood pieces to replace those eventually. MDF bends slowly under load, and really isn't very strong. Also with screws into the edges of a narrow piece it's prone to splitting.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline japasetelagoas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1943 on: April 24, 2016, 10:40:21 pm »
japasetelagoas that's a very pleasant room, and nice work area. Also welcome to the forum!

But the strips of MDF holding up those lights... I'd suggest hunting around for some real wood pieces to replace those eventually. MDF bends slowly under load, and really isn't very strong. Also with screws into the edges of a narrow piece it's prone to splitting.

Terra, thanks for the tip. Even though the fixture itself is quite light (less than 1kg) I'll keep an eye in case the MDF starts to warp.
The endless river...

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1944 on: April 25, 2016, 08:34:41 am »
Nice bench japasetelagoas. What brand is that screwdriver set? Are they good quality? looks neat.

Offline dvdouden

• Contributor
  • 0 != 0!
« Reply #1945 on: April 25, 2016, 10:20:00 am »
Lots of nice benches/labs/man-caves in this thread! :clap: Mine is very much a work in progress. I wouldn't call it a man-cave really, it's more like a man-corner; a bit cramped. But at least it's all mine, all four square meters of it and it beats having to share a desk with the missus ;D
Just a couple of layers of paint on the shelves and I can start moving my stuff in there!

The following users thanked this post: hammy

Offline BillyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1946 on: April 25, 2016, 12:04:40 pm »
Lots of nice benches/labs/man-caves in this thread! :clap: Mine is very much a work in progress. I wouldn't call it a man-cave really, it's more like a man-corner; a bit cramped. But at least it's all mine, all four square meters of it and it beats having to share a desk with the missus ;D
Just a couple of layers of paint on the shelves and I can start moving my stuff in there!

Very nice indeed. Is that the landing at the top of a stairs? I like the way you've extended the desktop over the railing to maximise the space - and given it a 'guard rail'. Very good use of a difficult shaped space. Just remember not to let anything roll off the end of the shelves in case it lands on somebody coming up the stairs!

The following users thanked this post: dvdouden

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #1947 on: April 25, 2016, 12:17:11 pm »
Quote from: japasetelagoas on Yesterday at 19:53:53
That's a lighting fixture made by a Brazilian company called Taschibra, two LED strips with 55 LED's and 10W on each strip, 6500K temperature color, I actually attached those to the workbench two days ago, using some angle brackets and scrap MDF.

I like them very much.
Anyone can recommend something similar and decent quality from eBay?

Offline dvdouden

• Contributor
  • 0 != 0!
« Reply #1948 on: April 25, 2016, 12:20:03 pm »
Is that the landing at the top of a stairs?
Yes! We've placed a new dormer on our roof about a year ago. That made that space much more useful than before  :-+ The extension is removable, in case I ever need to move large objects again.

Just remember not to let anything roll off the end of the shelves in case it lands on somebody coming up the stairs!
Leave it up to my carpenters eye to make sure nothing is level. Anything rolling off the shelves will, by accident design, be rolling in the safe direction ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:31:30 pm by dvdouden »

The following users thanked this post: BillyD

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1949 on: April 25, 2016, 05:56:41 pm »
Lots of nice benches/labs/man-caves in this thread! :clap:
It might still be a work in progress, but it's an excellent use of the available space IMHO.  :-+  :clap:

The following users thanked this post: dvdouden

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf