Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2284790 times)

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #3650 on: April 30, 2018, 04:12:30 pm »
Is that a Vision Engineering TS-3 ?

Wondering what working distance you have under the lens?

I am looking for a Barlow lens for mine and a stronger light source.

That is the TS-4 with 0.7x lens (4.2x to 28x zoom) the 30° oblique viewing attachment.
Working distance that I measured is 117 mm and 34 mm with the 30° attachment, though that’s only useful for inspection anyway. The brochure for the TS-3 states 113 mm working distance, so give or take some mm :)
As far as I can see, the TS-3 and TS-4 seem to be identical. I am looking forward to attaching a camera but still need to figure out what kind of adapter is needed. VE is not really a help in that regard. All my inquiries to DE/UK/US have been answered with: This device is obsolete, we can not tell you more about it.

Edit: I have the 250W illumination kit and from the datasheet of the 24V 250W halogen light bulb it seems to only put out 800 lumen. I am working on a Nichia high CRI (95+) COB LED replacement "retrofit". I am going to post the results here in the forums, might take a while however.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:15:13 pm by frozenfrogz »
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: Johnny10

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
My lab Then (1990-1995 @ university)
« Reply #3651 on: May 01, 2018, 05:19:11 pm »
Some pictures of my lab, which I shared with my graduating students..

On top of the rack, there's a TimeElectronics direct current source, an hp34401A, another programmable direct current source for 10µA, 100µA and 1mA, a programmable AC current source (U/I converter) for 100µA ... 100mA. Below is a Krohn Hite 4400A ultra low distortion generator, NF3961B Lock-In amplifier, an hp3458A (11/1989), Keithley 199 with scanner card, a TTL timing-box for precise triggering of the 3458A, a PM6669 counter, the AFGU from Rohde und Schwarz, a Hameg scope, a sizzling hot 80386-20MHz AT-PC with '387 coprocessor, a spare KH 4024 oscillator, and an hp740B.

To the right, there's a double Dewar cryostat, about 1m high, silvered with window stripes.
The outer dewar usually contains the liquid nitrogen as a termal shield, and a huge copper coil for 100mT can be inserted & cooled. The copper coil, and the 20A/20V 4 quadrant PSU obviously was just used elsewhere.

The inner dewar contains the liquid He4. The sample stick is inserted into the Helium, and samples can be applied via the top vacuum cap. Attached to the side of the sample stick, there's a low noise audio differential amplifier.

This apparatus measured the magnetic susceptibility of High-Tc-Superconductors, various precision wound Hartshorn coils can be seen here:

The windings were done manually using a loupe spectacles. The inner pick-up copper wires were 40µm / 2 x 500wdg. and the outer field wires were 50..80µm / up to 2000 wdg., w/o any dislocation over 10..20 layers.

The 3458A was used as an ultra linear and fast 16..18bit A/D converter, and the FFT of the 195Hz signal could be calculated in real time.. some assembly code for collecting the data over GPIB was required at 20MHz.. On the screen, the ultra low distortion of 0.0009% or an SNR of -101dB of the hp3458A and the KH4400A is demonstrated.

Here's our nitrogen cow, a 200l metal dewar vessel.

The superconducting magnet inside the huge He4 dewar vessel generated fields up to 7T at 63A by the power supply / control unit from Oxford Instruments. The turbo molecular pump allowed lowering the He4 temperature from 4.2K to about 1.4K, and so to apply magnetic fields of up to 8T at 73A.
At these high fields, the monitor display got quite distorted, like the ac-signal from the samples. Latter was the subject of my thesis.

And here's the soldering and sample preparation table, obviously the students did not clean up:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:17:59 am by Dr. Frank »

The following users thanked this post: ManateeMafia, dr.diesel, xrunner, edavid, netdudeuk, VK5RC, msliva, laneboysrc, hwj-d, GerryBags, NA5B

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
My lab Now (basement @ Home)
« Reply #3652 on: May 01, 2018, 05:19:51 pm »
In the basement, I've got a separate workshop for the loud / dirty /chemical stuff:

The whole calibration equipment is located in another room in the basement, at naturally constant 20..22°C the whole year.

The time-nuts instruments: The 5335A displays its internal OCXO compared to the GPSDO, Trimble Thunderbolt.
About 1.2E-9 deviation @ 10sec Gate Time, even after at least 1 year of continuous operation of the OCXO.

The Efratom FRS-C Rb standard is fed as the 10MHz reference to the rear of the hp5370B, and the GPSDO to the input, so comparing both frequencies directly at about 10s Gate Time. That's about 1E-11 deviation.
This uncertainty of the Rb clock has to be determined by collecting data over a longer period of time, and creating the Allan Distribution Statistics, as the jitter of GPS, and of the 5370B (30ps typ.) are larger than 1E-10 at a small Gate Time.
From this chart, measured and created by TimeLab (from ke5fx), you can see, that at 0.1sec Gate Time, the jitter is in the 1E-9 range, so over 1000 sec of averaging is necessary to access the 1E-11 area. 1sec Gate Time needs at least 100sec averaging, and 10sec Gate Time is close enough to give below 1E-11 uncertainty.
The TimeLab contains other measurement modes to determine frequency deviations directly, or to use the Time Interval mode for 1pps outputs of the standards to be compared.

Then here are the volt-nuts instruments :

The DIY boxes consist of a Reference Divider (as 752A), 2 LTZ1000 references with 7 => 10V amplifier and a decade divider (as 720A), 5 further LTZ1000 references, 5 VHP202Z 10kOhm references, and a constant current source. Stability Level for the DC units is about 1ppm, for AC down below 10ppm.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:45:13 am by Dr. Frank »

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel, xrunner, edavid, netdudeuk, VK5RC, msliva, lukier, laneboysrc, hwj-d, Nx-1997, GerryBags, duckduck

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3653 on: May 01, 2018, 06:32:20 pm »
Very nice pictures of your Lab(s) Dr.Frank.

I the function key template on your 3458A a self made one or was that one available at one time from HP?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #3654 on: May 01, 2018, 06:41:23 pm »

I the function key template on your 3458A a self made one or was that one available at one time from HP?

I second that, looks Great!
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3655 on: May 01, 2018, 06:53:33 pm »

It's handmade, of course , printed on paper carton

Offline japasetelagoas

• Regular Contributor
  • Just an ordinary electronics hobbyist.
« Reply #3656 on: May 02, 2018, 07:57:44 pm »
I finally got a new desk yesterday and am currently in the setup phase :)

FENDER RHODES?
Your workstation can't get any better than that.
The endless river...

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #3657 on: May 02, 2018, 09:08:32 pm »

FENDER RHODES?
Your workstation can't get any better than that.

Yes, that is one of the ongoing projects :)
Bought it some time ago in a very sad state (but for kind of small coin). After cleaning it up and fixing the main issues of missing rubber tips etc. I installed some mods (counter weights, back-check, pedestal bumps a.k.a. "miracle mod"). Since I could move it to my new room lately, I could work on it some more and did a complete re-wiring. Would never have thought what big of a difference that would make! The wiring is now back to stock, with the option to split the bass section to a separate output jack (just because someone already tried to do that, added the extra jack, but failed in the process of doing it proper).

As you can imagine I enjoy having it sitting there a lot. Right now it gets amped by a an active Mackie monitor that is a bit oversized for the room...

Edit: It is a Stage 73 Mark I, built in week 16 of 1977 by the way.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:11:27 pm by frozenfrogz »
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #3658 on: May 12, 2018, 03:35:20 am »
It is a Stage 73 Mark I, built in week 16 of 1977 by the way.

What a wonderful original instrument.  :-+ :-+
I have only a fatar grand touch and an iPad...  8)  ;)

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3659 on: May 13, 2018, 10:18:07 pm »
you speak about a lab in a closet or so... but in which room is it in? don't tell me it is in bedroom!
Not the closet stood in the hall, I'm in the bedroom now  :-DD
Everything works as the weakest link in the chain

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #3660 on: May 14, 2018, 03:32:00 am »

Classic Rhodes too

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
Re: My lab Now (basement @ Home)
« Reply #3661 on: May 20, 2018, 08:32:49 pm »
In the basement, I've got a separate workshop for the loud / dirty /chemical stuff:

The whole calibration equipment is located in another room in the basement, at naturally constant 20..22°C the whole year.

That's what I call the space to work, you have it beautiful and the equipment  :-+ :clap: :-+

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
Re: My lab Then (1990-1995 @ university)
« Reply #3662 on: May 20, 2018, 08:44:44 pm »
Some pictures of my lab, which I shared with my graduating students..

When sharing with students, you are 10 ° or 12 °   :-DD :-DD

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #3663 on: May 22, 2018, 08:04:34 pm »
This is where the various probes are used to test subject materials and count the various particles and rays. That is my main hobby, for which the rest is simply support.

Hi

Maybe you can answer a question that came to me a while ago.   -  "How many particles pass through an eyeball each second?"

Also what is the name of the particle that passes through the earth?

thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #3664 on: May 22, 2018, 08:13:50 pm »
Sounds like Yansi might be referring to all the gear in Chris' compact setup and the total dollars/euros/buckazoids/etc. that might be represented there.
If he's anything like most others on this forum, it's a matter of making smart purchases and diligent saving and repairing. When you take that into account the total is still respectable, but much more manageable.

Tl;dr it's not just throwing stupid money at it.

Never totalled it up, but compared to my other hobbies (obsessions) electronics is cheap :)

Just don't even think about getting sucked into astrophotography...  :scared:

Two of my (many) scopes/cameras:

And control room to run it all remotely/automatically:

OMG, that is so frigging COOL!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:15:35 pm by kj7e »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #3665 on: May 22, 2018, 09:14:00 pm »

What size scope was used on the bottom second from left screen?

I would like to see a galaxy (see the spiral shape) before I die.  The first step is finding the size needed then find one somewhere.

I would like to see it with my eye not on a screen.  Also can you describe a little what it took to get this view.

Very nice setup. 

thanks

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline GEOelectronics

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3666 on: May 22, 2018, 10:09:00 pm »
"Hi

Q1) Maybe you can answer a question that came to me a while ago.   -  "How many particles pass through an eyeball each second?""

A1) A bunch. How many depends on where you are. In space they are called Cosmic Rays, and can stimulate "seeing sparkles" Within the  Earth's atmosphere they are called Cosmogenic Muons (see below).

Q2)Also what is the name of the particle that passes through the earth?

A2) Cosmogenic Muons. Cosmogenic means they were formed by the action of Cosmic "Rays".

Muons are indirectly formed high in the Earth's atmosphere when a very high energy charged particle from a galactic origin beyond the Solar System interacts with a gas atom. These originating particles were at first thought to be rays and were named Cosmic Rays, a misnomer that has unfortunately survived until today.

Cosmogenic Muons are odd in that they are heavy particles of matter, but are traveling at relativistic speeds (near the speed of light). This gives them highly unusual qualities.

Am I wrong to guess you knew all that already?

Geo

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:10:35 pm by GEOelectronics »

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #3667 on: May 22, 2018, 10:44:10 pm »

What size scope was used on the bottom second from left screen?

I would like to see a galaxy (see the spiral shape) before I die.  The first step is finding the size needed then find one somewhere.

I would like to see it with my eye not on a screen.  Also can you describe a little what it took to get this view.

Very nice setup. 

thanks

Most galaxies are fairly dim to the eye, though a few (Andromeda, Pinwheel for e.g.,) can be seen with the naked eye. Using modest amateur telescopes (say, 6-12" aperture) with an eyepiece it still requires observing experience an patience to tease out structural details, and there is no colour - just shades of fuzzy grey. The larger the aperture then the more detail you see - but not the colour. A keen obervational astronomer would use something like a Dobsonian reflector telescope with an aperture up to around 24-30", those are big telescopes.

Using a cooled CCD camera you can capture both detail and colour and you don't need a large aperture either, a 5-6" refractor is good for most objects. The reason is that the sensor can collect light (photons) and integrate over a long period of time, the eye simply cannot do that.

For this image of the Andromeda galaxy I used a modest 5" refractor:

This galaxy cover a large area of sky, several moon-widths, a big telescope needs to work at very low magnification and even then it will not show all the galaxy in one field of view.

Smaller (i.e., smaller angular size = more distant) galaxies like the ones on screen in that photo are correspondingly dimmer but are actually easier to observe through a telescope. Again, that image of M81 and M82 (in Ursa Major) was taken using a 5" refractor.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:46:43 pm by ChrisLX200 »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #3668 on: May 22, 2018, 10:49:45 pm »

Thank you, I did not know.   :-+

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #3669 on: May 22, 2018, 10:51:29 pm »
@ChirsLX200,  Simply amazing  :clap:

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #3670 on: May 22, 2018, 10:53:10 pm »

For this image of the Andromeda galaxy I used a modest 5" refractor:

Thanks - I learned a lot today   :-+

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #3671 on: May 23, 2018, 12:17:18 am »
Here's a link to my folder on the topic.
http://www.qsl.net/k/k0ff/VOLT_NUTS/Work_Stations

http://www.qsl.net/k/k0ff/
Lots of interesting stuff in there! But sheesh, I thought my site was minimalist. everist.org.

Those pancake detectors, can I ask what's your source, cost, and is there a datasheet online?

Also what is the name of the particle that passes through the earth?

I'm surprised he didn't mention neutrinos. Those are mostly from the Sun.
But I didn't know there were other particles that went right through the Earth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_neutrino_problem
http://www.sns.ias.edu/~jnb/Papers/Popular/Scientificamerican69/scientificamerican69.html
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:30:26 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3672 on: May 23, 2018, 07:17:47 am »
"Hi

Q1) Maybe you can answer a question that came to me a while ago.   -  "How many particles pass through an eyeball each second?""

A1) A bunch. How many depends on where you are. In space they are called Cosmic Rays, and can stimulate "seeing sparkles" Within the  Earth's atmosphere they are called Cosmogenic Muons (see below).

Q2)Also what is the name of the particle that passes through the earth?

A2) Cosmogenic Muons. Cosmogenic means they were formed by the action of Cosmic "Rays".

Muons are indirectly formed high in the Earth's atmosphere when a very high energy charged particle from a galactic origin beyond the Solar System interacts with a gas atom. These originating particles were at first thought to be rays and were named Cosmic Rays, a misnomer that has unfortunately survived until today.

Cosmogenic Muons are odd in that they are heavy particles of matter, but are traveling at relativistic speeds (near the speed of light). This gives them highly unusual qualities.

Geo

The answer to the second question could also be Neutrino.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline GEOelectronics

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3673 on: May 23, 2018, 02:09:38 pm »
Absolutely neutrinos of various origin. By the bucketload. Billions and Billions. But because they are neutral and have no charge, they wouldn't be noticeable in the eyes. Thank goodness. Neutrinos would be a better answer to that part of the question. Thanks.

Muons on the other hand are charged and leave a trail of disturbed atoms behind them, and rarely go all he way through the Earth.

But statistically even Gamma Rays can go through the Earth, the probability is low.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3674 on: May 23, 2018, 06:36:55 pm »
You're probably thinking of neutrinos. Those sneaky things interact so rarely with other things that it's very hard to detect them. It also allows them to sail straight through massive objects like it's not there. Even solar masses aren't really an issue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf