Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2298804 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #3950 on: March 11, 2019, 06:10:43 am »
To the guys with the understanding spouse/GF/live-in/whatever. Don't consider your good fortune permanent, especially if you are in your 20's or early 30's. If it hasn't already the subject of children will come up. And once the reality happens, whether planned or "oops" all bets are off. Your stuff will become the enemy to be hidden away in a back room, the basement, the garage, or even the trash. "Oh but we agreed that we never want to have children". If you've fallen for that BS you've been hoodwinked. It is a rare bird indeed that NEVER wants to be a mother. As they get older that biological clock starts banging louder and louder. And if they can't have one of their own they'll want to adopt strays off the street.   

Perhaps some will think I'm being too cynical or harsh. Maybe so. But I've LIVED it and I've SEEN it first hand. And I have the scars to prove it. So just be aware. Life has a habit of taking interesting turns.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #3951 on: March 11, 2019, 06:21:15 am »
I’m a lucky man to have a spouse that’s loves all of it and doesn’t mind our house full of toys.

You are a lucky man.  Mrs GreyWoolfe doesn't share your spouses love, that is for sure. |O  At least I am completely self contained in my own Woolfe Den, including the job that pays the mortgage.  >:D  The only thing that knots her knickers is my 285 foot 80 meter loop antenna that crosses over the front of the property.  When she starts complaining, I tell her that I will sell all my stuff, leave the club and get out of the hobby.  That drops the noise floor to acceptable levels.  I don't even have to bring up the---"It's better than going to the bars!" argument.  S1 is much nicer than S9 on the meter.  :-DD

There is always the other great argument...at least you know where I’m at.  Lol
Sure, at the risk of this:

And this too.....

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #3952 on: March 11, 2019, 06:53:03 am »
"What this old thing? Had it for YEARS!"  :-DD  >:D  :-DMM

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3953 on: March 11, 2019, 09:05:19 pm »
I don't really have much of a desk right now. Well at least I have a keyboard, what I'm looking for right now is more flame-proof 18650 storage.
This also fits into the "post a picture of a cat" or post a picture of your lap category.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3954 on: March 11, 2019, 11:13:25 pm »
Nice cat, multimeter and calculator, that's a good start.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline DinkyMods

• Contributor
Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #3955 on: March 12, 2019, 01:38:37 am »
To the guys with the understanding spouse/GF/live-in/whatever. Don't consider your good fortune permanent, especially if you are in your 20's or early 30's. If it hasn't already the subject of children will come up. And once the reality happens, whether planned or "oops" all bets are off. Your stuff will become the enemy to be hidden away in a back room, the basement, the garage, or even the trash. "Oh but we agreed that we never want to have children". If you've fallen for that BS you've been hoodwinked. It is a rare bird indeed that NEVER wants to be a mother. As they get older that biological clock starts banging louder and louder. And if they can't have one of their own they'll want to adopt strays off the street.   

Perhaps some will think I'm being too cynical or harsh. Maybe so. But I've LIVED it and I've SEEN it first hand. And I have the scars to prove it. So just be aware. Life has a habit of taking interesting turns.

That’s where I do get to truly count myself lucky since we have 3 kids ranging from first grade to nearly grown. But your not wrong in far too many cases having children is the death of personal hobbies.  However both of us were always of the mindset that having those hobbies that are a big part of both of us is also keeping us sane while at the same time allows for consistently learning new things and pushing ourselves which ultimately leads back to being a better parent and having a much happier home.  Especially compared to those that have to repress the part of themselves that resents the fact they had to give up everything.  We had the good fortune/sense whatever ya want to call it to have kids a bit older than some which I do credit for the mindful approach to maintaining balance that has worked out so well in our lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheEPROM9

• Frequent Contributor
  • I have a Kali USB and I'm not afraid to use it!
    • EPROM 9 Home
« Reply #3956 on: March 23, 2019, 12:38:58 pm »
I’m a lucky man to have a spouse that’s loves all of it and doesn’t mind our house full of toys.

You are a lucky man.  Mrs GreyWoolfe doesn't share your spouses love, that is for sure. |O  At least I am completely self contained in my own Woolfe Den, including the job that pays the mortgage.  >:D  The only thing that knots her knickers is my 285 foot 80 meter loop antenna that crosses over the front of the property.  When she starts complaining, I tell her that I will sell all my stuff, leave the club and get out of the hobby.  That drops the noise floor to acceptable levels.  I don't even have to bring up the---"It's better than going to the bars!" argument.  S1 is much nicer than S9 on the meter.  :-DD

And this too.....

I guess there are advantages to being singal. I will even be getting my own place soon so I won't have the parents nagging at me all the time. (Just becomes television static in the end)

My advice get a place of your own that no one can clame as theirs, to be fair I came out of a relationship over six months ago that had a lot of problems.

Then you can decorate your sitting room with all the vintage computer & test equipment your little nerdy heart desiers. That way anyone you meet has to acept being an adopted parent to over 40+ vintage computers & a range of vintage test gear
TheEPROM9 (The Husky Hunter Collectors inc.)
Knowledge should be sheared freely to those who want it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146977913@N06/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4vOnjz1G-aM8LddSbrK1Vg https://www.facebook.com/groups/118910608126229/

Offline DinkyMods

• Contributor
« Reply #3957 on: March 23, 2019, 04:11:47 pm »

And this too.....

I guess there are advantages to being singal. I will even be getting my own place soon so I won't have the parents nagging at me all the time. (Just becomes television static in the end)

My advice get a place of your own that no one can clame as theirs, to be fair I came out of a relationship over six months ago that had a lot of problems.

Then you can decorate your sitting room with all the vintage computer & test equipment your little nerdy heart desiers. That way anyone you meet has to acept being an adopted parent to over 40+ vintage computers & a range of vintage test gear

I’m assuming/guessing based on your comment about nagging parents that you are likely on the younger end of the age spectrum so I’ll offer some advise I wish I had learned at a much earlier age than I did. The key to happiness isn’t staying single because someone your dating will not want the things you like around or occupying your time.  Instead the key is finding someone who loves your passion for it all and encourages spending the time on it and having the stuff you love around the house.  Sure it’s not always the easiest thing to find that partner but it’s worth the search because settling for whatever reason ranging from because they are smoking hot all the way to being lonely on a partner that doesn’t encourage and welcome the things you love will just lead to resentment and usually a really tough road.

The following users thanked this post: lewis, SkyMaster

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3958 on: March 23, 2019, 05:28:28 pm »
This reminds me of a conversation I had about thirty years ago. First date, and I'm sitting in a bar with a pretty brunette as we gradually got to know each other. I mentioned that I was a radio ham at which point she said "cool, my father's callsign is &^(&$!, what's yours"?

Anyway, it helps if your partner can take interest in some part of your hobby, mine likes the collection of QSL cards from all over the world and, in return, I show an interest in her penfriends who are just as scattered across the globe.

Now can we get back to pictures of cool workbenches please because I need some ideas.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

The following users thanked this post: ferdieCX, mxhll

Offline DinkyMods

• Contributor
Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #3959 on: March 23, 2019, 05:40:36 pm »
Now can we get back to pictures of cool workbenches please because I need some ideas.

One thing that’s part of mine that I have found infinitely helpful if you have a 3D printer are these Hive interlocking storage drawers. Sure there are more time/cost effective solutions but these are able to be configured in any height/width you want as well as non-rectangular shapes, wall hung etc.  If you look at the right of mine where I don’t have cells top and bottom that’s to clear an adjustable spotlight up to and on bottom they wrap over one of my lab power supplies giving me the most storage area for the space.  Plus anything made yourself adds cool points. Just search for The Hive on Thingiverse. Mine are all ABS & HIPS and they came out very strong.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:42:54 pm by DinkyMods »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #3960 on: March 24, 2019, 06:08:34 pm »
I finally managed to consolidate my workbenches and tools into a single workshop for all my product prototyping!
Here is a quick panorama shot.

Left to right:

PC area for 2D and 3D CAD construction, layout of brochures, other multimedia, email and general office work.
Tools: heavily upgraded Mac Pro 2008 (cheese grater), two wide gamut monitors (Dell 2408WFP, Eizo S2231W), KRK Rokit 5 speakers, Lehmannaudio Rhinelander preamp / headphone amp, SpaceControl 3D mouse, Waldmann desk lamp, Oltronix B60-1T power supply, Vision Engineering Mantis Elite with x4 and x15 optics.

(a bunch of studio gear that needs to be sold off)

Paulimot F307-V milling machine

(a bunch of boxes with "things" - mostly various materials for model making)

Old Festo shop vacuum cleaner

Paulimot SC4 lathe

Electronic workbench area
Tools: Lots of test cables, Oltronix B60-1T and B703DT power supplies, Fluke 8060A, Rigol DG812 (new since last week), Fluke 8050A, Rigol DS1054Z, Waldmann desk lamp, Monitor (still needs to be connected via KVM), SolderPeak SP-1010DR, Quick 861DW (new since three weeks), Ersa iCon, Ersa ET7-1IP, Densei Delvo DLV7331-CKG and DLV7540-MKE, Vision Engineering TS4, Ultimaker Original Plus

Could not be happier. :)

Still needs some work in terms of de-cluttering, but it is pretty usable now. Before, I had all this scattered in a not all too logical manner...
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline glentek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3961 on: March 25, 2019, 04:33:34 am »
I recently had some leftover plywood from another project so I decided to revamp my workshop. I tend to move a lot so everything knocks down to flatpack. The next thing I need to sort out is cable storage, I have two racks just inside the door, but they're not really working for me. This is just the electronics side of things, in the garage is metalwork and woodwork areas.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3962 on: March 25, 2019, 05:51:09 am »
I finally managed to consolidate my workbenches and tools into a single workshop for all my product prototyping!
Here is a quick panorama shot.

Left to right:

PC area for 2D and 3D CAD construction, layout of brochures, other multimedia, email and general office work.
Tools: heavily upgraded Mac Pro 2008 (cheese grater), two wide gamut monitors (Dell 2408WFP, Eizo S2231W), KRK Rokit 5 speakers, Lehmannaudio Rhinelander preamp / headphone amp, SpaceControl 3D mouse, Waldmann desk lamp, Oltronix B60-1T power supply, Vision Engineering Mantis Elite with x4 and x15 optics.

(a bunch of studio gear that needs to be sold off)

Paulimot F307-V milling machine

(a bunch of boxes with "things" - mostly various materials for model making)

Old Festo shop vacuum cleaner

Paulimot SC4 lathe

Electronic workbench area
Tools: Lots of test cables, Oltronix B60-1T and B703DT power supplies, Fluke 8060A, Rigol DG812 (new since last week), Fluke 8050A, Rigol DS1054Z, Waldmann desk lamp, Monitor (still needs to be connected via KVM), SolderPeak SP-1010DR, Quick 861DW (new since three weeks), Ersa iCon, Ersa ET7-1IP, Densei Delvo DLV7331-CKG and DLV7540-MKE, Vision Engineering TS4, Ultimaker Original Plus

Could not be happier. :)

Still needs some work in terms of de-cluttering, but it is pretty usable now. Before, I had all this scattered in a not all too logical manner...
Does the heavier equipment cause issues with abrasive dust or possibly the neighbours?

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3963 on: March 25, 2019, 09:37:34 am »
Does the heavier equipment cause issues with abrasive dust or possibly the neighbours?

No, it does not. These are not sanding machines, they produce chips. I am mainly cutting soft materials like aluminium and brass without coolant. These cut pretty well and do not need excessive cutting forces. Also both the lathe and mill are very smooth running machines that are belt driven or more or less direct drive with electronic VFDs and they are decoupled from the floor via thick shredded rubber mats. Beneath my flat is the basement with storage rooms and my neighbor above asured me multiple times, that she does not hear anything when the machines are running. :D

Offline zzattack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3964 on: May 05, 2019, 12:16:50 am »
Figured I'd snap some pics now that most of the desks are somewhat organized.

Software desk

Debug desk

Assembly desk

Storage drawers + boat anchor machines

The following users thanked this post: dropolus, xrunner, Bud, capt bullshot, BB3553AM

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3965 on: May 05, 2019, 01:14:26 am »
Very nice, indeed.   :-+ :-+
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #3966 on: May 05, 2019, 09:44:32 pm »
@zzattack

Very very nice setup indeed.
Is that a re-balling and rework optical machine in the back (lusting, drooling)?
Now, get some work done there and have a mess... so I can feel better when I look at my dirty bench >:D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 09:57:23 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline zzattack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3967 on: May 06, 2019, 12:04:57 pm »
Is that a re-balling and rework optical machine in the back (lusting, drooling)?
Yes, it's a Chinese (WDS-620). I've seen tons of seemingly identical machines, the most known one seems to be branded as ZM-r6200. The touch screen is a WinCE box which runs some Chinese PLC software called 'MCGS'. I tried to get in there but it's reasonably well protected and functions quite decently so in the end I left it as is.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3968 on: May 06, 2019, 06:10:42 pm »
Has anyone tried these? Think they'd be good for keeping bench clear when some equipment isn't needed. https://www.fleximounts.com/shop/garage-storage-solution/garage-wall-shelf-rack/motorized-garage-wall-shelves-handyjack/

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3969 on: May 07, 2019, 06:11:19 pm »
Has anyone tried these? Think they'd be good for keeping bench clear when some equipment isn't needed. https://www.fleximounts.com/shop/garage-storage-solution/garage-wall-shelf-rack/motorized-garage-wall-shelves-handyjack/

All the cabling would need over-length to allow them to move, spagetti nightmare. I also think that they'd end up in one position and never be moved again.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3970 on: May 07, 2019, 10:05:53 pm »

All the cabling would need over-length to allow them to move, spagetti nightmare. I also think that they'd end up in one position and never be moved again.

McBryce.

Plus it is ridiculously expensive for the amount of actual storage space (and fugly as hell). Seems like an over-engineered solution to a problem that does not actually exist in real life. xD

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3971 on: May 07, 2019, 11:28:10 pm »
I have kids and need to be able to both use things and keep them from using them when I am not around. Cabling isn't much of an issue, just keep the power strip on the racks, it's 1 cable. I was trying to see if anyone has used it since it'd suit my assembly bench well. I'd recommend nobody buy it if they don't want it though.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3972 on: May 08, 2019, 05:07:42 am »
"DO NOT TAKE WITHOUT PERMISSION"   :popcorn: ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3973 on: May 08, 2019, 08:23:42 am »
I have kids and need to be able to both use things and keep them from using them when I am not around. Cabling isn't much of an issue, just keep the power strip on the racks, it's 1 cable. I was trying to see if anyone has used it since it'd suit my assembly bench well. I'd recommend nobody buy it if they don't want it though.

If it's only power cables then fine, but most of my gear is connected to LXI / GPIB / RS232 networks, plus there's an 10MHz reference being fed to many devices too. Still, $400 dollars to keep things out of reach of children? They'll defeat your $400 by standing on a chair (or finding the remote) and it will have all been for nothing. Just lock the door like I do.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3974 on: May 08, 2019, 10:37:00 am »
If it's only power cables then fine, but most of my gear is connected to LXI / GPIB / RS232 networks, plus there's an 10MHz reference being fed to many devices too. Still, $400 dollars to keep things out of reach of children? They'll defeat your $400 by standing on a chair (or finding the remote) and it will have all been for nothing. Just lock the door like I do.

McBryce.
I imagine not everyone having a spare room to lock.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf