Author Topic: Who in Europe/UK wants Hi End kit from Siglent?  (Read 10895 times)

Offline willd1971Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Labtronix
Who in Europe/UK wants Hi End kit from Siglent?
« on: November 25, 2014, 07:46:39 am »
In my capacity as a small importer and vendor of test equipment to the UK (and selling throughout Europe) , I have the opportunity to offer Siglent high end SDS2000 series oscilloscopes, and in the tradition of www.labtronix.co.uk I always try to offer simply the best prices available.

The question is, is anyone interested in Siglent high-end equipment or if you're in the market for something special would you play safe and pay more for the traditional brand names?

Key features are:
  • Decent screen 800x480 pixels
  • 2GSPS
  • Front End BW options from 70MHz to 300MHz
  • 28Mpt memory
  • Connectivity

Is the 4 channel option of interest?
Are options of interest such as:
  • Serial Decode
  • Logic Analyzer
  • Power Analyzer
  • AWG

The manufacturer link is here:

http://www.siglent.com/ens/pdxx.aspx?id=25&T=2&tid=1

If there's information missing that you would like to know, ask me, I'll do my best to find out.

Labtronix prices are TBC but should start around £650 for the 70MHz 2CH and rising to £2050 for the 300MHz 4CH option. 

Thanks

William
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:53:09 am by willd1971 »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: Who in Europe/UK wants Hi End kit from Siglent?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 10:10:42 am »
These scopes are a bit better spec'd than the Rigol DS2000 series (in particular double the waveform rate), but they also cost a bit more. Do they justify that price premium?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:21:01 am by coppice »

• Regular Contributor
    • Labtronix
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 10:53:47 am »
Sorry that's www.labtronix.co.uk not .com....

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 11:38:51 am »
I think the problem is the price looks poor compared to Rigol 4 channel scopes like these:

http://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/Rigol-Digital-Oscilloscope-DS1074Z-p/ds1074z.htm
http://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/Rigol-Digital-Oscilloscope-DS1074Z-S-p/ds1074z-s.htm
The Rigol 1000Z is no match at all for the SDS2000 even with the SDS2000's firmware being incomplete.

@William: there are several other importers of Siglent gear in the EU.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:43:17 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:20:57 pm »
Are they easily hackable?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:00:02 pm »
The Rigol 1000Z is no match at all for the SDS2000 even with the SDS2000's firmware being incomplete.
Care to elaborate? The Siglent has double the sample rate, but beyond that... Incomplete firmware doesn't exactly bode well either. Companies have a nasty habit of losing interest in firmware once a new model comes out or if sales are slow, complete or otherwise.
The Siglent has 4 times the samplerate (1Gs/s versus 250Ms/s) and higher bandwidth (up to 300MHz) models. It is in a different class than the 1000Z. Siglent usually fixes their firmware at some point.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 09:18:50 pm »
Care to elaborate? The Siglent has double the sample rate, but beyond that... Incomplete firmware doesn't exactly bode well either. Companies have a nasty habit of losing interest in firmware once a new model comes out or if sales are slow, complete or otherwise.
The Siglent has 4 times the samplerate (1Gs/s versus 250Ms/s) and higher bandwidth (up to 300MHz) models. It is in a different class than the 1000Z. Siglent usually fixes their firmware at some point.

The Rigol site claims 1Gs/s. Does the 250Ms/s figure come from interleaving sample across 4 channels? Is the Siglent different in this regard? Or is this just a typo?

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:56:57 pm »
I wouldn't even buy Rigol, so it's a no from me. I'll stick with the decent brands - Tek, Keysight etc.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 10:13:01 pm »

The Rigol site claims 1Gs/s. Does the 250Ms/s figure come from interleaving sample across 4 channels? Is the Siglent different in this regard? Or is this just a typo?
The Siglent SDS2000 series use 1 or 2 (4 CH) 2 Gsa/s ADC's.
The slowest sample rate with this configuration (all channels used) is 1 Gsa/s.

Rigol 1000Z series however share their single 1 Gsa/s ADC accross all channels.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
    • Labtronix
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 07:11:54 am »
Are they easily hackable?

Depends on how good you are at hacking I expect :-)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 07:57:32 pm »
You keep forgetting the much higher bandwidth. My SDS2204 (200MHz) has a -3dB bandwidth way over 300MHz. Again: the SDS2000 and Rigol 1000Z are in a completely different class.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 12:20:19 am »
You keep comparing apples and oranges. Overall the SDS2000 has much better specs like 14Mpts per channel with 4 channels enabled versus 3Mpts for the Rigol 1000Z. Compare the datasheets first. If you want to buy a >100MHz 4 channel oscilloscope the SDS2000 series is the best buy. I don't know why Siglent even bothered to make a 70MHz version of the SDS2000. Because the hardware supports much higher bandwidths and 50 Ohm inputs it is more expensive than entry levels oscilloscopes.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 12:22:50 am »
Up at the 300MHz end Siglent is more competitive with the DS4000 series. Maybe if Dave reviewed on people would be more interested. It's a fairly big investment to be making without some in depth reviews.
I don't think one could add much more to marmad's reveiw:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/review-siglent-sds2304-a-comparison-of-features-with-rigol-ds2000-series/

Along with nctnico's:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2204-mso-review/msg501667/#msg501667

And this thread from it's conception:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent's-new-product-msosds2000-series/msg318099/#msg318099

Will Siglent send one to Dave?
There was talk of it, but until the next firmware comes and is seen to fix the remaing bugs, Dave will have to wait I expect.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 12:11:19 am »
You keep comparing apples and oranges. Overall the SDS2000 has much better specs like 14Mpts per channel with 4 channels enabled versus 3Mpts for the Rigol 1000Z. Compare the datasheets first. If you want to buy a >100MHz 4 channel oscilloscope the SDS2000 series is the best buy. I don't know why Siglent even bothered to make a 70MHz version of the SDS2000. Because the hardware supports much higher bandwidths and 50 Ohm inputs it is more expensive than entry levels oscilloscopes.

The link I posted was for the DS1074Z-S. It has 12Mpts memory, upgradable to 24Mpts, so I guess 6Mpts per channel. The SDS2072 says it has 28Mpts memory, so 7Mpts/channel. It really isn't a big difference.
Oh please read the datasheets and stop making a fool out of yourself :palm:. The SDS2000 has 14Mpts minimum per channel and 28Mpts / 2Gs/s per channel with channel 1&3 enabled (and other combinations as long as channel 1&2 and 3&4 aren't enabled simultaneously). A 4 channel SDS2000 has two identical acquisition blocks with 2 channels each. So 4 channels doubles the total acquisition memory.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:15:08 am by nctnico »

• Regular Contributor
    • Labtronix
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 07:24:23 am »
Good News!

Siglent are starting a Christmas period special offer on SDS2000 series oscilloscopes.

Right now at www.labtronix.co.uk you can get a free bandwidth upgrade and/or 3 upgrade modules for the price of 1 when you purchase a new SDS2000 oscilloscope from Labtronix.

New prices as of today range from £650 + £20P&P for 100MHz 2CH (Save £200), through to £1600 + £20P&P for 300MHz 4CH (save £450)

Purchase the MSO upgrade (8 Channel 500MHz logic analyser module) at £250, and get the serial protocol analyser and the 25MHz arbitary waverform generator module for no extra cost. (Save £300)

The full range and further details are available here:
http://labtronix.co.uk/drupal/shop/oscilloscope/sds2000.htm

Delivery to most regions is possible!

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 03:38:12 pm »
Since Agilent had / has this great offer with all options for the price of one, there really was no option for me to even look at Rigol or Siglent for a new scope. And I am really happy with my Agilent choice.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 05:22:42 pm »
Compared to Siglent's SDS2000 a scope with similar specs from Keysight costs at least twice as much. That is an expensive user interface.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 06:59:01 pm »
Dave isn't the only one who has used many oscilloscopes. The SDS2204 is my 9th oscilloscope. If I add the oscilloscopes I used at several employers and customers I get close to 20 different models.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf