Author Topic: who's eating all the 100nF 0603 caps?  (Read 8013 times)

Offline tron9000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Still an Electronics Lab Tech
    • My Hack-a-day project page
who's eating all the 100nF 0603 caps?
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:57:13 am »
I don't know if anyone else has noticed but go a search for 0603 0.1uF caps from either digikey, farnell or RS or whoever you use...

...where have they all gone?!
Partsbox.io - orangise your parts!
"If you're green you can only ripen. If you're ripe you can only rot!"

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: who's eating all the 100nF 0603 caps?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:06:37 am »
Check the RS lead times. October/December on anything other than noddy quantities.

Also all the 120nF ones are gone now as well.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 09:08:03 am »
plenty there

if you want to wait till october!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:10:32 am »

The following users thanked this post: tron9000

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 09:13:47 am »
try maplin  :-DD

I only ordered 10 100nf tants the other day with no issue

https://www.rapidonline.com/w-rth-csgp-100nf-10-16vdc-mlcc-ceramic-capacitors-0603-61-5447 rapid have a few

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 09:15:37 am »
Lot of components get long leadtimes, economy is booming, factories are running 24/7.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 09:19:05 am »
try maplin  :-DD

I only ordered 10 100nf tants the other day with no issue

https://www.rapidonline.com/w-rth-csgp-100nf-10-16vdc-mlcc-ceramic-capacitors-0603-61-5447 rapid have a few

Need a couple of thousand

Here's the guff from a Farnell Agent
You may be aware that there is currently an unprecedented global demand on certain electronic components.  The biggest impacted technologies are SMD, MLCCs and SMD resistors. This is due to the current scale and usage of smart technologies and the automotive industry, and has led to highly extended lead times and allocation on some products we supply.

Our Purchasing and Support teams are working hard with suppliers and manufacturers to establish confirmed supply dates and, where possible, seek alternative products for our customers.

We appreciate your understanding during this period of globally increased demand on our products and hope to reassure you that as a business we are doing all that we can to bring stock in as soon as possible.

Please also be aware that this is a global issue and is not unique to Farnell as a business. We endeavor to provide stock on the promised dates but this may fluctuate

I think I smell BS....this has never been a problem before?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 09:22:00 am »
That smells like someone just paid more than Farnell were willing to.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 09:34:04 am »
Mouser has plenty stock, your have to take a hit on the shipping charge

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 09:43:51 am »
You may be aware that there is currently an unprecedented global demand on certain electronic components.  The biggest impacted technologies are SMD, MLCCs and SMD resistors. This is due to the current scale and usage of smart technologies and the automotive industry, and has led to highly extended lead times and allocation on some products we supply.

Our Purchasing and Support teams are working hard with suppliers and manufacturers to establish confirmed supply dates and, where possible, seek alternative products for our customers.

We appreciate your understanding during this period of globally increased demand on our products and hope to reassure you that as a business we are doing all that we can to bring stock in as soon as possible.

Please also be aware that this is a global issue and is not unique to Farnell as a business. We endeavor to provide stock on the promised dates but this may fluctuate

I rather smell someone has no clue. There is a thread about this on the forum. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/has-the-world-run-out-of-100nf-caps/
As well you might use google to find out.
https://www.ttiinc.com/content/ttiinc/en/resources/marketeye/categories/passives/me-zogbi-20180302.html
https://ec.kemet.com/mlcc_alternatives
http://www.advancedmp.com/severe-mlcc-shortage/
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4161711-passive-components-structural-supply-shortage-intensify
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:50:58 am by wraper »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 09:45:29 am »
Mouser has plenty stock, your have to take a hit on the shipping charge
I would not say plenty, the vast majority of part numbers are not available and prices are much higher than a year ago.

The following users thanked this post: tron9000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 09:57:47 am »
I rather smell someone has no clue.
that's why I'm here....think i'd be asking if i did? thanks for your links.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 10:06:13 am »
further more I've just been talking to an assembly house. They said they were told a "while ago" to stock up on any passives starting with a 1...kind of implies this was forseen?

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 12:01:58 pm »
As someone who works in the electronics industry, I can tell you there are definitely lead time problems with many otherwise rather common components.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 12:33:46 pm »
Yes,  I got confirmation from multiple sources for passive component shortage. I have too look up alternative components on a daily basis, because they cannot confirm component sourcing months from now. It is really bad, I am considering to tell my boss, to expect prototypes delayed, because I cannot find stupid things like resistors in the right size. And this will last at least till next year.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 01:43:45 pm »
I don't know if anyone else has noticed but go a search for 0603 0.1uF caps from either digikey, farnell or RS or whoever you use...

...where have they all gone?!
I had to buy a reel with 4000 pieces from Farnell a while ago. There wasn't any other alternative (except for buying more than one reel). It has been like this for a couple of months.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:46:01 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 02:01:15 pm »
As someone who works in the electronics industry, I can tell you there are definitely lead time problems with many otherwise rather common components.

Include me in this group.
In my corporation, we have a dozen assembly facilities spread across three continents.
I have a good acquaintance just went to the headquarters to discuss electronic component sourcing issues. He told me that many components are either on allocation or have huge lead times.

Part of my job is to find substitutes for these scenarios. And indeed, I've had to use the trick to replace 0.1uF caps with 0.15uF or 0.2uF. Or in less-than-critical circuit applications, I go down to a lower value.

Resistors are facing similar issues. Here I've substituted 5% tolerance devices with 1% tolerance.

The big problem is of course, complex ICs. Our engineering, like most engineering departments, likes to stick with a particular microcontroller brand, as you have a single tool set which everyone is intimately knowledgeable with.
But lately we have diversified to other three microcontroller vendors, for the same reason: many popular microcontroller types, specifically those used on the automotive environment, are on allocation. If you are not Ford, Toyota or VW, most likely you will be on allocation.

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 02:25:20 pm »
The most annoying part for me is that the capacitors that are left are absolutely appalling in terms of DC bias. I've had to spend multiple hours finding replacement capacitors, and in the end I've typically had to increase the package size  |O

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 02:46:21 pm »
There is a worldwide shortage of MLCC caps as the three largest manufacturers are abandoning certain of their product lines to allocate production to more lucrative series. In essence : they stop making the cheapo stuff to make more lucrative parts (if you still don't get it : parts that are higher spec and go for more $$.)

I just saw a 1uf 16v 0805 with 56 weeks lead time ...

The same is happening for resistors. All that thick film stuff ? tata bye bye ...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 03:18:34 pm »

In around 1994/5 it did big time, everyone was talking about the "spot market", big telecom elephants was affected and bought  from grand/pa/mom backyard outlet to get hold of components, that time it was mainly semiconductors and some passives i recall.These spot market suppliers made big time money from nothing, the prices for some components was just baffling.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:32:42 pm by MT »

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 03:58:20 pm »
That was triggered in part by a Sumitomo plant fire in Japan, which provided the semiconductor encapsulation resins for about 2/3 (or something in that ballpark) of the world's semiconductors.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 04:10:49 pm »
There is a worldwide shortage of MLCC caps as the three largest manufacturers are abandoning certain of their product lines to allocate production to more lucrative series. In essence : they stop making the cheapo stuff to make more lucrative parts (if you still don't get it : parts that are higher spec and go for more $$.)

I just saw a 1uf 16v 0805 with 56 weeks lead time ...

The same is happening for resistors. All that thick film stuff ? tata bye bye ...
Hmm, but that would mean they give all that business to their competitors instead? or ar you saying there are basically only three manufacturers of MLCC caps?

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 04:59:21 pm »
North korean neutrino stock market hft system

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf