Author Topic: Why do I already not like Star Trek Discovery?  (Read 35074 times)

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Why do I already not like Star Trek Discovery?
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2017, 08:44:20 am »
I'm getting caught up on The Expanse. Pretty cool, so far.
The expanse has a very good story, for sure. I stopped watching it after ep1 and ep2, but later I went back, and I was so glad that I did. For episodes like "Home"... To be honest, I put it aside, because it was run by syfy channel. And they didn't manage to produce anything worth watching in the last 10 years, just trash sci-fi.
Also: I want Firefly back.
That would be great but the movie ended the series and undoing that would be hard.
After 14 years they cannot continue something with original cast.

There are many many sci-fi universes, that would supply countles hours of entretainment for us nerds. The gaming industry particularly has some gems, that could be excellent on the big or the small screen. The Mass Effect for example has a film in limbo, I would love to see. The Halo series could overcome the fact, that the story was written to 12 year old children, and produce something other than horrible CGI films. The list goes on, but it is off topic.
But Sci-Fi movies in 2017 mean superheroes punching each other in the face with bigger and bigger things. At least we got rid of bullet time.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2017, 05:40:06 pm »
I'm getting caught up on The Expanse. Pretty cool, so far.
The expanse has a very good story, for sure. I stopped watching it after ep1 and ep2, but later I went back, and I was so glad that I did. For episodes like "Home"... To be honest, I put it aside, because it was run by syfy channel. And they didn't manage to produce anything worth watching in the last 10 years, just trash sci-fi.

Yes, I was very skeptical at first. But after hearing so much positive feedback and its surviving to a third season, it made it to my watch list.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2017, 09:08:30 pm »
The Orville is worth watching, too.  It's a bit more in the spirit of the original ST, but clearly a very different concept from ST:D.

The Orville is pretty good - but OH MY GOD do they need to get rid of Seth McFarlane as an actor on that show.  He is a horrible actor firstly, and secondly whenever he talks it's impossible not to imagine Brian (the dog) from Family Guy.

I know Seth created the show, and he's living out his "I wanna be Captain Kirk!" fantasy, but he is by far the weakest character on the show and needs to don a red shirt and get vaporized by some alien, stat!
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline maggotronix

• Contributor
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2017, 12:06:49 am »
Star Trek Discovery, The Expanse, The Orville... these are all great new shows & we should be grateful we're getting some decent sci-fi for a change. Some folk are just too critical of everything.

The following users thanked this post: ludzinc, 3db

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2017, 03:35:42 am »
Some folk are just too critical of everything.

The irony is palpable.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2017, 07:51:45 am »
The Orville is worth watching, too.  It's a bit more in the spirit of the original ST, but clearly a very different concept from ST:D.

The Orville is pretty good - but OH MY GOD do they need to get rid of Seth McFarlane as an actor on that show.  He is a horrible actor firstly, and secondly whenever he talks it's impossible not to imagine Brian (the dog) from Family Guy.

I know Seth created the show, and he's living out his "I wanna be Captain Kirk!" fantasy, but he is by far the weakest character on the show and needs to don a red shirt and get vaporized by some alien, stat!

Seth McFarlane does ok the handful of times he's been a serious captain, but all up The Orville needs to lose the dumbass toilet humour and ST Discovery needs to lighten up a bit.

Both ships should join up for a mission  ;D  travel back in time to save a young Q from some galactic menace that feeds on smartass annoying Qs...   :clap:

In the meantime I need to catch up with Firefly and The Expanse!  :popcorn:

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2017, 08:31:19 am »
Star Trek Discovery... these are all great new shows
The issue is that STD is not good. I dont enjoy watching it.
I know, I just shuldnt watch it then, but that is not how it works.

mod: I just remembered where did they send out the (half vulkan) first officer in an EVA suit to inspect something potentially dangerous. The Motion picture! How desperate and stupid do you have to be to even try to remind people to that movie.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:51:42 am by NANDBlog »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2017, 10:18:12 pm »
Both ships should join up for a mission  ;D  travel back in time to save a young Q from some galactic menace that feeds on smartass annoying Qs...   :clap:

That'd be a hoot! Q could use some comeuppance, even if it is in the past. Then again, does time matter to Qs?

In the meantime I need to catch up with Firefly and The Expanse!  :popcorn:

Yes! :popcorn:

I know, I just shuldnt watch it then, but that is not how it works.

It's like watching auto racing.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2017, 07:40:54 am »
Star Trek Discovery... these are all great new shows
The issue is that STD is not good. I dont enjoy watching it.

This.

I just watched episode five (masochist) and I have to keep pausing it to calm down.

It's hard to point at a particular reason. At a superficial level it all seems OK, it's professionally made, but ... the writers and directors just don't get it. Everybody's over-dramatic and it just doesn't feel like a starship. You can tell it's a huge committee with meetings, not just a few good writers who know what they're doing.

And the title sequence is awful, that doesn't help when it suddenly appears 8 minutes into an episode (why do they do that?)

The following users thanked this post: Dataforensics

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2017, 08:04:40 am »
Watched 4 episodes, I am ok with it but not overenthousiastic.
My opinion: they want to address the new generation with quick action slick SFX all at the cost of a good story with a good red line across episodes.
So mwah, not convinced but then perhaps it is time for change, I at least don't want to be an old guy interfering with new initiatives and if the youth likes it than the mission of the producers has succeeded.
The older generation (as i consider myself with TNG and Voyager and my father as generation before with TOS) have had their series and should make room.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2017, 08:51:17 am »
if the youth likes it than the mission of the producers has succeeded.

Nope. Success would be if the young and old liked it.

(and there's no reason they can't do that)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2017, 08:59:27 am »
The Orville needs to lose the dumbass toilet humour and ST Discovery needs to lighten up a bit.

You mean like the "This is so fucking cool!" scene in episode 5 of STD? I don't have enough :palm: for that.

(21 minutes in...)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2017, 09:38:47 am »
Nope. Success would be if the young and old liked it.
(and there's no reason they can't do that)
Look into the demographics of the tv public and series, there are none (or almost none) series that can attrack three generations of audience, it is as asking for a DC-DC converter that has ultra high efficiency but also a very wide DC in and output specification.
Sometimes you just can't have it all  :)
And lets face it tv is dead unless the younger generation will switch back to it for some series. Youtube and the vlog channels are all the youngsters are watching these days.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2017, 10:00:00 am »
The Orville needs to lose the dumbass toilet humour and ST Discovery needs to lighten up a bit.

You mean like the "This is so fucking cool!" scene in episode 5 of STD? I don't have enough :palm: for that.

(21 minutes in...)

Thanks for the heads up, Tactical Facepalm Team on standby...   :phew:

I've been watching Firefly/Serenity in the correct order as recommended earlier, and sorta forgot about STD and Orville

I'm up to episode 12 in the 14 set, and know in advance I will miss this show ending before it's time more than STD and Orville  :-- 

The Expanse is next on the sci-fi catch up list, if it's 1/10 as good as Firefly, we have another winner   :-+

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2017, 05:40:32 pm »
I've been watching Firefly/Serenity in the correct order as recommended earlier, and sorta forgot about STD and Orville

I'm up to episode 12 in the 14 set, and know in advance I will miss this show ending before it's time

Welcome to the 'Verse, ED. Sounds like you're officially a brown coat, now. I watch the whole thing every year or two.

The Expanse is next on the sci-fi catch up list, if it's 1/10 as good as Firefly, we have another winner   :-+

The Expanse is also excellent, but different from Firefly. With The Expanse, the story and mystery grab you, making you want to know more, see more. With Firefly, it's the characters that keep you coming back for more, even when you already know the stories.

Another series that I enjoy because of the characters and lighthearted, if not quirky, sci-fi is Stargate SG1. Its 10 seasons and two wrap-up movies will keep you occupied for a while.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2017, 09:22:55 pm »
Another series that I enjoy because of the characters and lighthearted, if not quirky, sci-fi is Stargate SG1. Its 10 seasons and two wrap-up movies will keep you occupied for a while.

+1 on that. Just don't take it too serious. They sure aren't. :)

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2017, 12:30:52 am »

(21 minutes in...)

That was cringe worthy.  So was the end scene with the engineer sharing a tender moment with his boyfriend... it added nothing to the show and was obviously just a pandering scene.  The doctor is actually a horrible character - zero charisma and zero depth.  At least the engineer guy had a persona, even if it was a bad one.   

The most recent episode of ST-D was most definitely the weakest one by far.  I hope it picks up and improves from here.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2017, 01:41:14 am »
The most recent episode of ST-D was most definitely the weakest one by far.  I hope it picks up and improves from here.

Well it can't get much worse.... a lot of conflict in the show seems either to go completely against character of the people involved in it, or is based on things competent crew would never do or argue about in the first place.

They take time to establish each character as competent in their job, then make others act like they were not.

It's one thing if it was "fresh ship with newbie crew", then it might even make sense, but that's not the case

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2017, 03:01:48 am »
To add my two cents...

I've only watched a few episodes so far of both Star Trek Discovery and Orville, as I'm trying to keep up with both (alternating episodes). I am enjoying Orville more at the moment because it reminds me more of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Maybe it's the style of the ship but it has more of a "discovering" of new things than Star Trek Discovery... which so far I feel is already entrenched in War with the Klingons (and what's with them changing their face shape again?).

I would have thought a show with "Discovery" in the name would be more exploration and discovery, and not so much war... Which is why I didn't like Star Trek: Deep Space 9 all that much. Too much war. Also, Star Trek: The Next Generation to me was much more Sci-Fi exploration and pushing the envelope on aliens and fantasy than other Star Treks, especially when they were thrust into totally unexplored areas of the universe by Q. That's more my cup of tea. I don't care so much for war and blowing up stuff in space. I'd rather see stories of interesting alien cultures, strange planets and creatures and bizarre situations like the classic Star Trek and TNG used to be (by far my favorites).... although I also liked Voyager.

YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline calexanianTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2017, 03:59:39 am »
They have announced most of the staff for The Orville and most of them are former TNG staff. The same directory of photography and special effects I believe. Also Brannon Braga is one of the producers. Additionally CBS has been hands off as far as lawsuits go. They don't want to go against FOX and their boatloads of cash and Seth McFarland and his absolute millions of very vocal fans. Their hold on the Star Trek TV franchise has never really been tested in court. It has long since been suspected that if paramount ever wanted to push the issue they could possibly regain the whole thing. CBS wound up with it under, not questionable circumstances, but were never really challenged by anybody else. Its just assumed that they would ferociously defend it to protect all of the licensing rights which are worth far more than the shows and movies themselves.

CBS will never do proper Star Trek with Les Moonves at the helm. We should be glad we have anything et all judging by his views of the franchise.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2017, 11:33:59 pm »
STD and Orville clearly need work !  or a team up to sort out the Krill and Klingon Klownage in one skirmish before trekkies summon Q to shut both shows down out of respect for TNG

I've been watching the Firefly/Serenity series alongside STD and Orville, and there's no comparing

15 year old Firefly clearly has the jump on both in many (all) respects   :clap:

I could watch the series again in a few weeks time and get into it again easily

Trying to get my head around the first episode of The Expanse,
it's def got the thing but I'll have to watch it again to grasp the vibe.   :-//
Admittedly it was late, I was tired and sci-fi plot challenged after a long day on a tough dog electric/tronic troubleshoot

Still a better -go to- than STD and Orville and lots less   :palm:  :palm:

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2017, 01:18:23 am »
15 year old Firefly clearly has the jump on both in many (all) respects   :clap:

I could watch the series again in a few weeks time and get into it again easily

Yep, it's like a favorite book.

Trying to get my head around the first episode of The Expanse,
it's def got the thing but I'll have to watch it again to grasp the vibe.   :-//

Don't worry too much. The first season really lays a lot of groundwork. Just keep going and pieces will start to fit into place. I find that the series is very much like reading a good novel. They're not going to hit you over the head with everything right up front.

I'm taking a bit of a breather before diving into season 2. Meanwhile, I have the first Honor Harrington series to finish reading — currently in the middle of "Echoes of Honor" (book 8 of 13 in the series).

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2017, 07:32:41 am »

That was cringe worthy.  So was the end scene with the engineer sharing a tender moment with his boyfriend...

That too. That scene just about finished it for me. One more scene like that and I'm completely done with it.

OTOH: Bortus and Clyden in the Orville? Gimme more...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2017, 07:47:56 am »
They have announced most of the staff for The Orville and most of them are former TNG staff. The same directory of photography and special effects I believe. Also Brannon Braga is one of the producers.

You can tell. Everything about the show's production feels like they've already had hundreds of episodes of experience.

Additionally CBS has been hands off as far as lawsuits go. They don't want to go against FOX and their boatloads of cash and Seth McFarland and his absolute millions of very vocal fans.

I'm sure the Orville's lawyers go over every episode before it gets aired.

I'm not sure what exactly they'd sue over. Look and feel? That's going to be tough one to pursue.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2017, 09:45:35 am »
I would have thought a show with "Discovery" in the name would be more exploration and discovery, and not so much war...
There is nothing to discover. The Klingon war will end, the spore drive (OMG, even writing down the name is ridiculous) will not work. Spock never talks about Michael. There is no history to be changed here. Probably the best would be if the ship and everyone on it would blink out of existence in a time paradox or something.

We would suddenly jump to 2388 (primary universe) with a fallen romulan empire due to the supernova. The ship is a refit sovereign class with Jonathan Frakes as captain Riker, Tom Paris as first officer, and Jeri Ryan and Tricia Helfer (who is also an android) having a relationship with explicit screens (that is how you do it, dear SJWs). Also the Borg is coming, so federation pumps out hundreds of Defiant class ships. And there is also Admiral Jean Luc and Janeway appearing every few episodes.

But of course this could never happen, because this would be actually fun to watch.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf