Author Topic: Why do I already not like Star Trek Discovery?  (Read 35069 times)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: Why do I already not like Star Trek Discovery?
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2017, 01:24:18 am »
Those 2 first episodes were a hard slog to get through, not sure if I'll bother with the rest of it.  :=\  Episode 1 was over before it got started..   :-//

The Klingons sucked, their cheap makeup and usual 'warrior' BS was too drawn out, boring and SILLY embarassing

The two main ladies (good actresses) seemed to be having a bad hair day at the newest hi-tek shopping mall,

No star fleet admiral rocking up with their flag-ship playing cavalry could be THAT stupid to not smell a rat in the Klingons intentions,
and set themselves up for destruction 

The Vulcan mind blab across the universe was too cheesy for words

TBH I almost powered down the lot after that corny ridiculous 'com badge walk' in the desert to signal the ship    :palm:

Quickly watched a 'Star Trek Continues' episode to recover...  :phew:

a lot of the fan films are actually quite good and the mix of old and new school actors do well with what they've got to work with   :clap:

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2017, 01:29:39 am »
Wife is far more a trekie than me.  Watched them both with her, meh...

First off she tells me the timeline for this series is before captain kirt's time.  Fair enough.  Why they hell do they seem to have tech that thousand fold ahead of Kirt then???

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2017, 01:38:08 am »

If you think 'Voyager' and 'DS9' is Star Trek then I can how you might be confused.

DS9 got pretty good once they hit their stride. 

Nice summary of the problem.

Did they explore anything or seek out new worlds and civilizations?

Would a real starship bridge have dramatic lighting like that or would it give people headaches?

Action and stunning visuals are a problem? 

Honestly, it's like whenever anything gets changed - there are always people who are going to gripe about it.  And while I don't mean this towards you personally, among groups like engineers, there's always a subset that seem to want to one-up each other in how "real" of a fan they are by nitpicking to an evermore excruciating level of detail.

If we're talking about how implausible various ST series are, nothing comes close to TOS.

But relax man... have a beer, watch it and enjoy.  Or don't.... there's so much content out there nowadays that there's something for everyone.  But the reviews of the new ST:D are overwhelmingly good, so they're doing something right.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2017, 01:50:40 am »
It's 100% fair. These people have gone through starfleet academy selection and are in charge of hundreds of lives plus a very expensive piece of hardware.

Sure, but they got the basics right using just painted plywood, rubber rocks and no CGI. They got it so right that we're still trying to keep it going 50 years later.

I'm not trying to nit-pick your comments but... come on, TOS is laughable when it comes to "how real officers would act when in control of a priceless piece of hardware and hundreds of lives".  How many times does Kirk ignore orders or the prime directive or  break the rules? 

I know a lot of folks hold TNG up as the benchmark of the franchise... but let's not forget how utterly boring many of the episodes are.  The best TNG did was the arc with the Borg, with all sorts of nonsensical plot elements thrown in for dramatic effect.  But, it makes for good entertainment, and most folks want to be entertained, not to view the most accurate portrayal of the future we can generate.  If that were the goal, the majority of what's in the whole ST franchise would never exist. 
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2017, 05:52:46 am »
The best TNG did was the arc with the Borg...

That and "Q". When you've had enough of shooting things and visiting planets, there's nothing like a misbehaving super-powerful entity to throw a monkey wrench in your plans (and introduce you to the Borg).  ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2017, 01:03:54 pm »
Would a real starship bridge have dramatic lighting like that or would it give people headaches?
Action and stunning visuals are a problem? 

No, but they don't mean you have to throw everything else away. You can have both.

I'm surprised anybody on here would be in favor of dumbing something down.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2017, 01:11:06 pm »
I know a lot of folks hold TNG up as the benchmark of the franchise...

I wouldn't strongly disagree with that.

but let's not forget how utterly boring many of the episodes are.

Nothing is 100% perfect but at least it felt like a working starship, not a videogame.

most folks want to be entertained, not to view the most accurate portrayal of the future we can generate

You can entertain without dumbing down. Some of the most successful comedies ever made were very intellectual (eg. "Frasier").

Maybe I didn't persist enough with that one.

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2017, 01:49:33 pm »
The thing bothering me most was the first officer, with Vulkan upbringing and "logic" behaved more like angry klingon 100% of the time and seemingly added "logic" just as pretext to win arguments. And going from "I trust you" to drugging and pointing phasers at eachother.

Replace captain and the first with competent officers and it might be manageable show.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2017, 02:17:53 pm »

Maybe I didn't persist enough with that one.
It went from a family comedy show to a political drama / war story in season 4. By season 6 there are space battles with over 1000 ships.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2017, 09:41:38 am »
...By season 6 there are space battles with over 1000 ships.

It rocked out big time!   :clap: :clap: :clap:

You can't compare DS9 with this current halfassed script farce, sporting a perplexed crew propped up with boring and childish gamer style visual eye candy.

If they don't lift their game soon, the next ST Discovery reboot attempt may have to be titled "Star Trek RECOVERY"

Future episode previews appears they are going to run with an 'Escape From Alcatrazz Vs Total Recall Mashup'    :=\ 

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2017, 10:05:16 am »
The thing bothering me most was the first officer, with Vulkan upbringing and "logic" behaved more like angry klingon 100% of the time and seemingly added "logic" just as pretext to win arguments. And going from "I trust you" to drugging and pointing phasers at eachother.

Replace captain and the first with competent officers and it might be manageable show.
IMHO that is exactly what happened at the end of the second part of the pilot.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2017, 10:35:41 am »
The captain, probably but the first seems to get a new ship to be incompetent on.

Now that I'm thinking about it, if she was half-klingon everything in plot would make a lot more sense

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2017, 03:30:14 pm »
On the other hand, Seth MacFarlane's The Orville is pretty damn good as of Episode 4. I am enjoying it immensely, and Ep4 was the best so far. It really replicated a high quality TNG experience, the humor is pretty good, but it's not overpowering, and not boring. It compliments the show quite well. I am really enjoying it.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2017, 03:49:08 pm »
I find any Star Trek episode to be most interesting when they travel through the unknown of the universe and encounter new things. So yet-another series of Klingon episodes are a bit predictable and boring. Yes, I know Klingons talk cool but lets move on to something new.

It's like Hollywood has lost it's imagination and it's becoming a general problem. I mean, if I see yet-another Batman reboot where Batman fights the Joker again I'm gonna punch someone in the face!  :box:
https://lxi-tools.github.io - Open source LXI tools
https://tio.github.io - A simple serial device I/O tool

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2017, 07:05:38 pm »
I agree a whole season of Klingon is not appealing. The best of Star Trek are those involving time travel. I don't think that would work if stretched over an entire season though.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2017, 07:12:16 pm »
I find any Star Trek episode to be most interesting when they travel through the unknown of the universe and encounter new things.

It used to be right there in the opening titles:

"...explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations, go boldly where no man has gone before."

I guess that needs proper imaginative writers though. Fighting Klingons is much easier.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:14:16 pm by Fungus »

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2017, 07:25:55 pm »
I  Yes, I know Klingons talk cool but lets move on to something new.

Have you heard these Klingons speak.  It is as if they are speaking though the rubber mask covering in their (version 4 or 5) Klingon face and the studio could not be bothered to redub the audio post production.

The following users thanked this post: Dataforensics, tooki

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2017, 08:54:40 pm »
On the other hand, Seth MacFarlane's The Orville is pretty damn good as of Episode 4.

Saw the first episode the other day.

Penis jokes and people ordering up hash brownies on the replicator aside, everything was right - there's 10^5 times more "Star Trek" in that than in the official offering.

I know which one I'll be watching.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:47:22 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: Ampera

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2017, 09:51:50 pm »
On the other hand, Seth MacFarlane's The Orville is pretty damn good as of Episode 4.

Saw the first episode the other day.

Penis jokes and people ordering up hash brownies on the replicator aside, everything was right - there's 10^5 times more "Star Trek" in that than in the official offering.
Well, Brannon Braga knows how write decent Sci-fi (including Star Trek) so it doesn't surprise me a bit 'the Orville' manages to hit the right buttons.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline boz

• Regular Contributor
    • Roving Dynamics Ltd
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2017, 01:38:51 am »
I thought it was OK... I just wish ST would boldly go somewhere where there are no Klingons  :horse:
Fearless diver and computer genius

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2017, 08:28:36 pm »
BTW the tune and intro remind me of 'Davinci's demons'  :popcorn:

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2017, 11:51:08 pm »
The title sequence reminded me of the new Westworld.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2017, 09:34:12 am »
The title sequence reminded me of the new Westworld.

I've seen people raving about the amazing new title sequence.

Were these people literally born a few weeks ago? Have they never seen anything else?  :-//

(I think this is the main problem with many reviewers/critics - complete lack of any references or contexts)

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2017, 10:47:17 am »

At least there's no singing in this one..

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2017, 08:48:31 pm »

At least there's no singing in this one..

'The Love Boat' can get away with that  :D   not Enterprise.. every episode   ::)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf