Author Topic: Why do I already not like Star Trek Discovery?  (Read 34980 times)

Offline calexanianTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
Why do I already not like Star Trek Discovery?
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:08:57 am »
I feel like Star Trek Discovery is coming at us like a truck full of total dissapointment and its brakes are cut. I know this will corrupt my ability to fairly assess it. I liked The Orville though. I find myself looking forward to watching them and was saddened that it will only be a 13 episode season.

Anybody else feel the same way?
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
Re: Why do I already not like Star Trek Discovery?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:06:17 am »
This is just so much better:
https://www.youtube.com/user/StarTrekContinues
They now have 9 episodes and only 2 left since CBS have put an end to any newer fan releases.
This one is also fairly good, but, more battles:
https://www.youtube.com/user/startrekphase2DE

It's sad when a bunch of enthusiasts come together and for non-profit create better art than the big studios.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:42:51 am by BrianHG »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, gnavigator1007

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 09:11:27 am »
FWIW, when the new sci-fi stuff sucks (and a lot of it does :=\)

I do the re-run thing  :clap:

BUT... some newies are really good, and the only way to find out is to plough through the lot, till you hit on a gem

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:22:45 am »
I always liked Star Trek but the tendency in new tv shows is to make it appealing for the entire family.
That is just putting so much water with the wine it tastes like crap.
Hard cold cool SciFi is good very tasty,  combined with (female) drama and romance its getting a bad taste , adding teens with (super)powers makes it uneatable.
Lets see what this is.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 10:48:23 am »
I feel like Star Trek Discovery is coming at us like a truck full of total dissapointment and its brakes are cut. I know this will corrupt my ability to fairly assess it. I liked The Orville though. I find myself looking forward to watching them and was saddened that it will only be a 13 episode season.

my two bobs worth
Star Trek, Star wars , Disney . political correctness is killing sci fi & hollywood nowadays.
:-- :palm:
Star Trek was always leading edge on political correctness. If you think about the Kirk Uhura kiss, Janeway as lead in Voyager, Sisko lead in DS9. And the covered topics, like extending human rights to aliens androids, or holograms. The thing is: You dont need to overdo it.
It has aliens. Adding a Chinese an indian an arab and a black character does not increase the diversity. You dont need to add him/her because the universe has aliens. You cant get more diverse than that. Add an andorian. Add a vulkan. Add a Xindi, who procreates with eggs. I dont care if all the caracters are white on a ship, and they are played excellently. I care about that Sonequa Martin-Green is an annoying awful actor, and I was happy when they killed her off from another series I was watching. And the topic of the episodes shouldn't be " look he is gay and we are fine with it lets talk about that" but "starship shoots frazer boom".

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 01:08:34 am »
I haven't really seen it, since my only contact was on video screens at the local burger and brew joint, with sound turned of and subtitles.  But it sure didn't motivate me to go search it out and view it for real.

The plus :Spaceships seemed sleek. 

The minuses :Acting seemed wooden.  Aliens haven't progressed since 1960s in spite of CGI advances.  Sets and costumes were tired updates.  Plot seemed a simple rehash of already overused plot lines. 

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 01:27:47 am »
Star Trek has been on the side of decent movements that have ACTUALLY brought equality to the modern world. What is the scary part is the SJWs that are trying to push their bullshit montras as equality, with a sad number of publications licking it up and virtue signalling as hard as they can.

I am fine with adding diversity to a cast, and trying to be inclusive, I am just afraid of a Star Trek Discovery - All white people are racist edition.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

The following users thanked this post: tooki, gnavigator1007

Offline calexanianTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 02:34:30 am »
I don't believe anybody sane has any problem with diversity. I am worried they are going to walk all over 50 years of cannon.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 10:54:32 am »
Wow never heard of this. I miss DS9 and Voyager era

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 12:01:00 pm »
I haven't really seen it,
Isn't the release date next month or something?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 12:08:41 pm »
I haven't really seen it,
Isn't the release date next month or something?
According to IMDB the 25th of september. That is on a monday so it seems it didn't got a prime-time timeslot which may be a good sign.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 01:06:05 pm »
Staying away from the Idiot box, (the IQ reducer) the TV until something worth watching comes on is actually a good plan of attack in dealing with the intense stupidity, and PC fatigue that comes with the one eyed window into the moronic universe.The Orville was good, bordering on stupid, but most comedy is a balancing act between humor and stupidity.

The Star Trek fan stuff is fun but hard to take serious, clearly amateur productions.
Star Trek Discovery will be interesting and has potential.

I was one of the few that thought Star Trek The Next Generation was five seasons of flogging a dead horse, and the NG movies were a let down....
Deep Space Nine was good, the other two series were reasonably good.
Lets hope the Borg don't pay a visit in Discovery.....
(that would be overusing a good foe)

Sue AF6LJ

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 01:17:22 pm »
For Trekkies only: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.de/

Besides the fan made movies and film series there are also good audio dramas.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 10:59:18 am »
I guess everyone has noticed there's been an amazing explosion of indie short SF movies on Youtube the last few years? Seems like home-studio level CGI has reached a quality to rival Hollywood.
Some of the storylines are crap, but sometimes they are gems. Here's a nice one I found a few days ago:

"SEAM" - by Master Key Films
Once you watch a few of these indie SF things, lots more show up in your feed.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Electro Detective

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 01:09:33 pm »
I guess everyone has noticed there's been an amazing explosion of indie short SF movies on Youtube the last few years? Seems like home-studio level CGI has reached a quality to rival Hollywood.
Some of the storylines are crap, but sometimes they are gems. Here's a nice one I found a few days ago:

Considering how low the bar has been set in Hollywood the last five years or so, it is no wonder with $2000.00 worth of gear the home hobbyist can produce Hollywood quality productions.
Hollywood has become lazy and abandoned all creativity, with a whole industry full of degenerates this is no surprise. 
Sue AF6LJ

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 01:29:52 pm »
Considering how low the bar has been set in Hollywood the last five years or so, it is no wonder with $2000.00 worth of gear the home hobbyist can produce Hollywood quality productions.
Hollywood has become lazy and abandoned all creativity, with a whole industry full of degenerates this is no surprise.
You realize that movies dont cost as much, as they say on the IMDB page? They inflate those numbers artificially, so there is no profit, so you dont have to pay after the profit. You make a 20 million movie, and you inflate the number with CGI, marketing, and other bogus, very hard to verify costs. And then the total cost is 200 million. And the movie makes 250 million. Hollywood got very good at accounting. And the tech industry also. And the banking also. And the US government also.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 01:35:12 pm »
@Terrahertz, wrong example fx done by fx3x studios from Macedonia that also did some hollywood blockbusters ( parts of)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 02:17:45 pm »
You realize that movies dont cost as much, as they say on the IMDB page? They inflate those numbers artificially, so there is no profit, so you dont have to pay after the profit. You make a 20 million movie, and you inflate the number with CGI, marketing, and other bogus, very hard to verify costs. And then the total cost is 200 million. And the movie makes 250 million. Hollywood got very good at accounting. And the tech industry also. And the banking also. And the US government also.
What they cost makes no difference, the quality is crap, and the community they come out of is not what I would consider to be a healthy environment.
Like I said; Hollywood is a town full of degenerates.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 09:04:09 am »

Who can debate that ?   :-+

Although I believe the bar got lowered to floor level 10 years ago,
most of the the crap is unwatchable past the first 10 minutes (if you can last that long),
the CGI poor, and the actards mumbling their lines and pretending to be serious is abysmal   :palm:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:27:57 am by Electro Detective »

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 11:09:36 am »
What they cost makes no difference, the quality is crap, and the community they come out of is not what I would consider to be a healthy environment.
Like I said; Hollywood is a town full of degenerates.

It's not that the quality is scrap, it's that the chosen scripts are pitiful and purely chosen on profit motive instead of something truly creative and original (Which would actually be more profitable...).  None of the execs have the backbone to bring us good movies.  And worse, since it a closed system where they control what the theaters show, and were stuck with this un-imaginative crap.
Your only choice is reading novels (Which unfortunately I can't do...), or hope for something from the public community generated movies somehow becomes noticed and available, which it is in Hollywood's best interest to keep hidden and crush out of existence, which they actively do unless they can profit from it...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 11:54:54 am by BrianHG »

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ, Electro Detective

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 11:58:41 am »

Rewatch B5 instead, or start watching The Expanse :D
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: HackedFridgeMagnet

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 12:21:38 pm »

:palm: 2K$ of equipment to compete with Hollywood quality production?  I don't think so.  Even the link above I listed for 'Star Trek Continues', had over 100k$ US invested just to replicate 70's special effects.  They had to go through the trouble of finding an entire orchestra to record the music score.  Even though the recording location, musicians & recording equipment for just the music of the sound track well exceeded 2k$.  Never mind all the camera equipment, sound equipment, stage set, lighting equipment, film location, costumes/clothing, makeup, OMG, I can go on....  Whether it's rental or purchase, this goes way beyond 2k$.  Even if you are making a 'silent' 3D rendered short movie, just the production software tools, never mind the PCs involved wont get you anywhere close to a Hollywood quality product.

For 2k$, you can get a good microphone, build a sound proof recording booth, and a good PC with good animation software and you might be able to create a Hollywood quality animated movie.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 12:34:46 pm by BrianHG »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 12:47:39 pm »

:palm: 2K$ of equipment to compete with Hollywood quality production?  I don't think so.  Even the link above I listed for 'Star Trek Continues', had over 100k$ US invested just to replicate 70's special effects.  They had to go through the trouble of finding an entire orchestra to record the music score.  Even though the recording location, musicians & recording equipment for just the music of the sound track well exceeded 2k$.  Never mind all the camera equipment, sound equipment, stage set, lighting equipment, film location, costumes/clothing, makeup, OMG, I can go on....  Whether it's rental or purchase, this goes way beyond 2k$.  Even if you are making a 'silent' 3D rendered short movie, just the production software tools, never mind the PCs involved wont get you anywhere close to a Hollywood quality product.

For 2k$, you can get a good microphone, build a sound proof recording booth, and a good PC with good animation software and you might be able to create a Hollywood quality animated movie.
Just a wild guess on my part, I have seen Star Trek Continues and his content is good.
As can be seen I have a low opinion of Hollywood, it's well past its prime. 
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 12:50:42 pm »

Who can debate that ?   :-+

Although I believe the bar got lowered to floor level 10 years ago,
most of the the crap is unwatchable past the first 10 minutes (if you can last that long),
the CGI poor, and the actards mumbling their lines and pretending to be serious is abysmal   :palm:
Too much profit motive, too many degenerates still in the industry, too many recycled scripts.
Rumor has it The Matrix is the next script to be recycled....
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 01:47:42 pm »
Star Trek was always leading edge on political correctness.]
I don't mind much, as long as it doesn't get preachy on contemporary real world topics. Just present your communist utopian society as is and move on from there. Unfortunately, they seem to want to screw with that and go full retard :
“I think that would be fantastic,” he said. “As far as a Muslim character, I think it needs to happen. The bridge and the hallways of the starship should represent who we are as a world.”
Yeah, let it be a girl and have her convert to marry someone either to show how far Islam can progress or to show the consequences of who we are in the world. Oh wait of course not, it's just to show a white washed reality and pretends that's the one which exists in the real world, while carefully treading around the sensitivities of real world Muslims so they don't get restless.

Maybe they'll find some way to beat on white straight men specifically too.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:23:42 pm by Marco »

The following users thanked this post: daqq

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf