Author Topic: Why do I already not like Star Trek Discovery?  (Read 35081 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Why do I already not like Star Trek Discovery?
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2017, 11:27:36 pm »
Probably the best would be if the ship and everyone on it would blink out of existence in a time paradox or something.

Or it was just another case of Q experimenting on mortals. Yeah, that's the ticket.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2017, 12:44:43 am »
If you guys want to watch "real", but unofficial Star Trek, you should be watching this:

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Fungus, bitseeker

Offline calexanianTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2017, 06:10:36 am »
Orville has used some sound effects and names from Star Trek. The sounds obviously were intentional.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2017, 07:46:17 am »
If you guys want to watch "real", but unofficial Star Trek, you should be watching this:

Thanks, that was cool. They really nailed it on the look and feel. I wasn't expecting Grant Imahara and Marina Sirtis to be in it.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2017, 08:45:12 am »

Thanks, that was cool. They really nailed it on the look and feel. I wasn't expecting Grant Imahara and Marina Sirtis to be in it.

There's a limited number of these due to some legal BS explained by the interviewed Captain/producer on Youtube

It's still a good 'tribute' show,

with no facepalm reaction so far  or choking on popcorn  as with GayTrek shows STD and AWEville      :phew:

If they had the backing and budget, it has the makings of a great  'TOS Reloaded' effort

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 10:18:11 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2017, 03:17:42 pm »
 Star Trek Continues is absolutely amazing. And very literally continues where TOS leaves off. Especially brilliant is casting James Doohan's son as Scotty.

Discovery - uggh. The first two episodes at least were utterly TERRIBLE. It got a little better, but I can't imagine how they are going to fit this into series canon. So they have this amazing drive that is even faster than TNG's upgraded warp drive, yet this takes place BEFORE TOS and the Federation does not use this? Plus the acting is pretty bad - not just Burnham, but that nutcase Stamets and the way to silly Tilly. They make the fake flying around the bridge of TOS Enterprise by the original crew look like a fine Shakespearean production.

The Orville - I find it enjoyable. Yes, most of the jokes are pretty childish, but sometimes you just want to relax and not think too hard. Otherwise it really seems well done.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2017, 07:38:46 pm »
The new mushroom drive isn't meant to "fit" anywhere, it is just meant as a plot device so they can put Discovery wherever they feel like without having to have any real explanation.

And it has very well documented history of just not working or doing strange stuff so if plot says ship needs to stay in place and not just disengage at will from every engagement, they only need tiny excuse for it to not work again

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2017, 09:47:06 am »

Mushroom Drive on STD and Orville humour require a synced response from those qualified in such matters  :-+

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2017, 10:50:46 am »
Just release the Magic Mushrooms, everything stats spinning, and you can be anywhere!

At least we know, which psychotic drug do the writers prefer.

Spoiler!
Also it is getting ridiculus that the only way to progress the story by the writers goes by one formula:
1. Someone got into a shuttlepod.
2. Ion storm, klingon raiding party, explosion, combination of these happens.
The shuttle pods are the new redshirts.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:10:43 pm by NANDBlog »

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2017, 03:47:27 pm »
Mushroom Drive on STD and Orville humour require a synced response from those qualified in such matters  :-+

At least the Orville humor is planned, ie. supposed to be there. It may not be your cup of tea but at least nobody promised anything different.

STD is just  :palm: all around. I just saw the latest episode and I'm done with it. It's not entertaining and it's going nowhere interesting AFAICT.

Offline lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2017, 06:39:17 pm »
I think Star Trek Discovery is a good and entertaining series in its own way. I think most in here who categorize it as "bad" are not being very honest.

However, I would very much have preferred to see a continuation of the Star Trek series with a new more advanced next generation Enterprise ship exploring new areas of the universe meeting new enemies and civilizations etc.. The enemy being Klingons again is just getting a little old and boring. Heck, I would even prefer to revisit the Borg or some other new enemy with the same level of evil technology.

Also, the introduction of the spore drive takes away a some of the excitement of the original series where the travel itself was a major activity and source of unexpected encounters when they traveled across the universe. Now they just reach their destination in the blink of an eye.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:00:56 pm by lundmar »
https://lxi-tools.github.io - Open source LXI tools
https://tio.github.io - A simple serial device I/O tool

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2017, 10:34:49 pm »
I think Star Trek Discovery is a good and entertaining series in its own way. I think most in here who categorize it as "bad" are not being very honest.

However, I would very much have preferred to see a continuation of the Star Trek series with a new more advanced next generation Enterprise ship exploring new areas of the universe meeting new enemies and civilizations etc.. The enemy being Klingons again is just getting a little old and boring. Heck, I would even prefer to revisit the Borg or some other new enemy with the same level of evil technology.

Also, the introduction of the spore drive takes away a some of the excitement of the original series where the travel itself was a major activity and source of unexpected encounters when they traveled across the universe. Now they just reach their destination in the blink of an eye.

You will not get a continuation until Trek Friendly executives run CBS and the movie and TV licences are held by the same company. Ironically that may be the more likely thing in this climate of corporate consolidation.  If CBS bought Paramount you might actually see something. Once again. The current situation has not been tested in court. If Paramount and the Roddenberry's got together and pressed the issue CBS could find they really don't have anything accept legal fees. This goes back to the Star Trek next phase days when paramount and Gene were fighting over who actually owned the show. Gene always threatened to take it to court and everybody figured he would win, so paramount always gave in in the end to whatever his demands were and they just moved along without ever really figuring out who held the rights. This went all the way up until he died, and by then the family did not want to peruse it. Watch Chaos on the Bridge to see how crazy the situation was with Gene for TNG.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:24:04 am by calexanian »
Charles Alexanian

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2017, 11:37:54 pm »
Charles, are you referring to this? Chaos on the Bridge (IMDb)

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2017, 02:53:00 am »
Yeah. Thats the one. Its an interesting story about how TNG survived the first few seasons.
Charles Alexanian

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2017, 04:11:44 am »
Cool. Thanks for the reference.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2017, 07:35:31 am »

I'm not going to say it's "bad" but it's mediocre at best. The characters are all weak and don't fit their supposed backgrounds. eg. Our girl was raised on Vulkan and is the only human who was ever logical/smart enough to be considered for 'Vulkan Expeditionary Force'? Uhuh, totally fits her character. Not.

The given explanation is that this is a bleeding-edge experimental ship full of Starfleet's misfits/mavericks? Hence the 'annoying roommate' character, right...? :palm:

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2017, 02:41:09 am »
Hahahaha. I liked it better when it was called McHales Navy.
Charles Alexanian

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2017, 04:40:26 am »
I have not seen Discovery, nor The Orville, but since at least part kf this thread is about other shows, maybe I can make a couple suggestions for viewing lists.

Dark Matter, unfortunatly recently cancelled, is a pretty good show, not ground breaking or anything, but it has some decent characters and mix of plots, action and the occasional comic relief (esp Android... boobs... boobs... boooooooooobs). 

Stargate Universe, it's a fantastic series, much deeper, and darker, than any of the other Stargate series, far more character driven.  Killed way too soon, still absolutely worth watching.

LEXX, not everybodies cup of tea, a little more surreal, absurd even in many episodes but I've watched it through a couple times.

Farscape, of course.

Somehow I'd never watched Babylon 5 before, I'm presently working through it, mostly worth it.

One more slightly unrelated - Travellers - not space based scifi, but definately worth a go.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2017, 05:00:00 am »
Dark matter was cancelled?

FUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu  |O

Still miss and hate that retarded decision to kill SG:U when it was getting even better, it started OK for me, but I'm not dependant on 20 explosions per second like the average viewer that will leave a show as soon as there are no Micheal bay levels of kabumm right at the intro theme, that and moving shows to the 4am timeslot and cancelling them due to "lowering" viewership.

Love how companies rate the like/dislike solely from USA, because no one else in any other country watches a show/series..

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2017, 08:59:31 am »
Somehow I'd never watched Babylon 5 before, I'm presently working through it, mostly worth it.

Which episode are you up to?   by  "mostly worth it"  i'm guessing ~S1/S2.  Just you wait :)

Probably not everyone's cup of tea but fyi there are these youtube videos of a girl who video blogged her thoughts after watching every B5 ep for the first time.
JMS loved it and actually sent her something, can't remember what it was.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:03:40 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2017, 07:20:16 pm »
Like all good character driven stories B5 does not get good until the third season. If you ignore all of the bad early CGI its actually a pretty good story.
Charles Alexanian

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2017, 07:39:52 am »
Just to revive this thread: The last few episodes of Star Trek have been OK.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2017, 03:23:45 pm »
Yes. It is getting on the rails. If you ask me to choose between The Orville and ST Discovery I won't be able to come up with an answer soon. ST Discovery is more action packed where the Orville has much more of a ST Next Generation vibe to it.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Electro Detective

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2017, 09:33:30 pm »
Yes. It is getting on the rails. If you ask me to choose between The Orville and ST Discovery I won't be able to come up with an answer soon. ST Discovery is more action packed where the Orville has much more of a ST Next Generation vibe to it.
I'm guessing it has to do with the writers and the directors. Gretchen J. Berg is clearly ruining the show with un called for SJW.
It became one of those shows, like Doctor Who. If it was directed by Moffat, I was considering just turning it off. Almost everything he was producing was garbage. Out of order screens, unnesesary tension, Mary Sue changes within an episode.
It is worth watching the after trek show (even though it is 90% mutual admiration club), it clear what is happening. What I dont understand why they arent giving her a show about lesbian vampire wrestlers on their period, so she can ruin that. Just look her up. Her previous works are military grade torture series. And becomes executive producer.
Roddenberry, Rick Berman,  Brannon Braga, this woman known for Women's Murder Club and Revenge, Bryan Fuller, Jeri Taylor <- find the odd one in this list.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2017, 10:15:29 pm »
I thought bringing back Harry Mudd from TOS was a weak shot, probably hoping to turn over some of the old fans, what a garbage  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf