Author Topic: Why do I already not like Star Trek Discovery?  (Read 35073 times)

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Why do I already not like Star Trek Discovery?
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2019, 10:19:31 pm »
Well, they are making a new show with Sir Patrick Stewart. They are going to diversify on the audience now. In fact there might be like 5 show running at the same time in the near future. We could have Discovery with lasers and explosions in the far future, Pickard with slow paced drama, and Section 31 for spy stories, academy for the younger audience.
They built an entire Enterprise A (pre Kirk) bridge, and placed 3 well developed characters on that ship, so probably we get a show just from that.
https://screenrant.com/new-star-trek-series/
That is a lot of trek.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2019, 02:25:23 am »
Have you seen Star Trek Continues episodes.  A group of people built an Enterprise set and their episodes are continuations of the original Star Trek with Kirk.  I found them very interesting and watched them all.

The following users thanked this post: helius

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #202 on: April 22, 2019, 01:55:11 am »
in order for star trek to be itself
it needs to be roddenberry-ish in terms of story, it always talks about morals, religion, etc

The Orville does that.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #203 on: April 22, 2019, 02:57:36 am »

Have you seen Star Trek Continues episodes.  A group of people built an Enterprise set and their episodes are continuations of the original Star Trek with Kirk. 
I found them very interesting and watched them all.

Same here, a top effort by a budget limited fan based cast and crew  :-+ 

There are some other similar ones on Youtube too, and full movie length jobs featuring a few original ST cast,
I forget the titles, very watchable   :clap:

The orville and discovery were an ordeal to sit through, just like the latest lost in space series
and there was another mindless babble filled sci fi thingie that's worse than all 3 combined.
It's that bad my brain refuses to recall the name of it   :-// 

--------------------

EDIT: strained brain recall: 'Altered Carbon'  :palm:

Even some of the tackiest (but well meaning  :-+) Star Trek fan produced videos are easier to digest,
that resemble something like a 'story line' one has a hope to follow, coupled with try hard amateur acting watchable after a few beers

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 09:03:58 am by Electro Detective »

Offline vtwin@cox.net

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2019, 05:49:16 pm »
My wife and I have been watching Discovery on Sunday evenings.

I guess I put it into the category of "mindless entertainment".

I have to admit, though, the S2 2-part finale was virtually unwatchable at times. The long, drawn out dialog between characters in the middle of crisis situations was bordering on ridiculous.

VoiceOver: ALERT! CONTROL IS ARRIVING IN 30 SECONDS!
Character 1 (to character 2): I love you
Character 2 (to character 1): I love you
Character 1: No, I really love you
Character 2: I love you more
Character 1: I mean I really love you
blah blah blah
5 minutes of dialog later, cut away to the next scene. All while people around you are screaming, dying, the fate of the humanity rests with you doing your job, etc.

Some of the cinematography started to remind if of the overdramatic, long, drawn out, absolutely tedious to the point of "I want to put a bullet in my head" scenes from STTMP.

Other things were ridiculous to the point of absurdity. Case in point: Admirals do not sacrifice themselves. They order a passing ensign or a crewman to enter the room and pull the emergency hatch manual override switch once they have exited the area with the undetonated photon torpedo and then enter a commendation into the ensign/crewman's record for their sacrifice.. That's what admirals do. Order other people to die.

I agree with one of the previous posters that Sonequa Martin-Green is an absolutely horrible actress. Or, at least, improperly cast for this role.

Pike was a good character and well cast. I could see a good Trek series cast around him.

The Ash Tyler character always seemed like he just snorted a line or two of coke or was amped on uppers or a caffeine trip.. His mannerisms grated on my nerves.

Spock looked better with the beard.

I guess I could care less about people's sexuality to give a rats ass that I have to be reminded each week that two of the main characters are gay.

And, of course, I'm dating myself by saying I've always lusted for Jayne Brook ever since Kindergarten Cop.

None of the other supporting cast members made a memorable impression on me.

If the series doesn't get renewed, I wouldn't miss it.
A hollow voice says 'PLUGH'.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf