Author Topic: Why do people assume if youre a girl that you don't understand electronics?  (Read 26281 times)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
I love when Women get technical !,  Seriously !!!!!
It's such a pleasant change from my 'ex'......
I'm an 'Avid' follower of 'Fran Blanche' on Youtube......

Transgender cases are not clear cut for the topic.
Really?!? Didja read the original post? It includes “back when I was a guy”...

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
May is ask what technology your family has invented?

Part of the back bone of the internet, a device in all court rooms, software on almost all smart phones. And the ice bucket challenge. I don't want to say more because you could use that (not you specifically) but it would be a way for people to identify me and I hate the fact I can be googled. If people really knew how much data is collected on them they would be pissed. I know I am and try to combat with as much disinformation as possible.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Online Bud

• Super Contributor

Really?!? Didja read the original post? It includes “back when I was a guy”...

I do not see how that is relevant to the Topic subject. 
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Eka

• Regular Contributor
Stereotyping of a nastier sort...

Why not? Everybody reacts to me as if I'm female, even when I'm wearing mens clothing.

What I find sad is a girl who is obviously brilliant that does nothing with her brains, and tries to hide her brilliance because she thinks she needs to to get a guy. I've run into to that way to often. I even ran into it in the granddaughter of a famous scientist who did space research.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
What I find sad is a girl who is obviously brilliant that does nothing with her brains, and tries to hide her brilliance because she thinks she needs to to get a guy. I've run into to that way to often. I even ran into it in the granddaughter of a famous scientist who did space research.
Time to let them know that smart girls tend to be very desired by smart guys? There are so many pretty girls out there that it's hard to stand out with good looks alone. Smart girls and strong girls are far less common.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
Beamin (and anybody else interested) should look up Lynn Conway.  Originally Larry, worked for IBM on several aborted projects to come out with the next blockbuster computer after the 360.  He did a lot of really important stuff related to supercomputer architectures and also wrote a number of simulators to explore performance of high performance computers.  Then, he decided he'd be more comfortable as a woman, and went in for a sex change.  This was in the mid 1960's, his/her supervisors were completely understanding, as Lynn was a total WHIZ, but top management blew a fuse and demanded she be fired.
She disappeared for a while, mostly in academia, and then resurfaced with a truly seminal book on LSI design, with Carver Mead.  At the time, I thought they were CRAZY, but they were looking 20 years into the future, while I was stuck with about a one year horizon.

Jon

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment, tooki

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
Stereotyping of a nastier sort...

Why not? Everybody reacts to me as if I'm female, even when I'm wearing mens clothing.

Wow there is another transgirl here? Just one question if you pass as a female why would you wear guys clothes? That would make me really uncomfortable in public especially if I had to use the bathroom. Boobs and the mens room are a bad idea. The last time I walked into a mens room because three womens bathrooms were full all the people stared at me when I walked in and a guy yelled out "This is the mens room! ladies room is down that way. Let me show you."

I watched franslab for a long time and never had a clue she was trans. I guess someone "outed" her for some nasty reason and she made a great video about it. I don't think anyone thinks she doesn't know her shit. In reality I would rather have someone think I was a girl that doesn't know electronics then think I'm a guy who does. Getting my appearance to this point was a huge effort that took a lot of "balls".   ;)
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Wow there is another transgirl here?

IIRC there are many, like a half dozen or so.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
What I find sad is a girl who is obviously brilliant that does nothing with her brains, and tries to hide her brilliance because she thinks she needs to get a guy. I've run into to that way to often.
True and there are many many more sad things about people and love, like young people that only interested in looks like TS self also hints at:
Grow some muscles and about 6" taller
Then years later realizing that this is the least important quality needed for a good and steady relation resulting in divorce number x.
Or intelligent women having a good career that still want to find someone even more succesfull ending up ditching their career for the spouse one, young girls that are attrackted to wrong criminal man because it is exiting and they have (other persons) money to flash around, which seems to be resolved when they get to the age they want their baby and realize they need someone reliable, etc. etc.

The following users thanked this post: Echo88

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Women frequently do their best to discourage other women getting a good education and a good career, usually on the pretext of this making it harder to find a mate. I'm not sure if this is heartfelt pleading, or jealousy. Its certainly a bad idea, unless the average smart women sets her sights on thick failing males. What smart well educated man wants a dumb incapable spouse? A shallow male might choose a hot looking spouse over a smart one, but I think in the end the lack of informed conversation makes them see the error of their ways.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !

?????  I just looked up the info.  I really had no idea !!!!!!
Oh well. Doesn't change how I think about 'her', or her work....
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
OOPS! I'm a bad man. I was at a garage sale yesterday in a very affluent community where most couples are professionals.  They had a nice clock which had each number as a math equation and a bunch of engineering books on concrete.  I said casually that someone must be an engineer. I thought that was neutral.  She responded, My husbands an engineer (nondescript). I'm a geologist.  I never found out who the books belonged to, concrete is fascinating.  I must have touched a nerve.  I'm finding it more and more inadvisable to talk to anyone unless I am responding to a direct question.

Offline Eka

• Regular Contributor
Time to let them know that smart girls tend to be very desired by smart guys? There are so many pretty girls out there that it's hard to stand out with good looks alone. Smart girls and strong girls are far less common.
Smarts last a lifetime. Can't say that about pretty.

Smart and pretty got me into a menage a trois with a royal couple. I'm still called mom by their kids, and grandma, and great grandma by the next generations. At first it felt weird getting called mom by their kids, actually adults at the time who were all older than I was, but soon it just felt right. Involvement with them totally derailed my planned career. I went to college wanting to design silicon chips and maybe even figure out the next semiconductor base, or end up somewhere in theoretical physics. I even took a course based on Mead & Conway's VLSI textbook. I ended up learning and doing whatever was needed to help run a small country. The best part is I had fun doing it with my partners.

Beamin (and anybody else interested) should look up Lynn Conway.
Another one to look up is Wendy Carlos. Before she transitioned, she scored, and performed Switched On Bach which used synthesizers. It went gold very fast and was the second classical album to go platinum. She also scored the movies A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Tron. BTW, she knows analog electrical engineering.

Offline Eka

• Regular Contributor

Wow there is another transgirl here? Just one question if you pass as a female why would you wear guys clothes? That would make me really uncomfortable in public especially if I had to use the bathroom. Boobs and the mens room are a bad idea. The last time I walked into a mens room because three womens bathrooms were full all the people stared at me when I walked in and a guy yelled out "This is the mens room! ladies room is down that way. Let me show you."
I have a lot of mens clothing from the zombie years when I didn't remember my past and suppressed all emotions. My women's clothing wardrobe isn't that well filled out yet. Complex PTSD and CFS have me disabled so I don't have much income to acquire more with. I'm in my second transition that I started a little over 4 years ago. After being attacked on the street and hospitalized back in '85, I was forced into conversion therapy against my will. The ECT that was done to me badly damaged my memories and skills. I couldn't even recognize my parents and had no memories of who I was before. If I hadn't started out with an off the scale IQ, I'd likely have been reduced to being an idiot. There are large are on each side of my cerebral cortex where they placed the ECT probes that delivered the shocks that remains dark and never shows any brain activity. Thankfully I'm still able to self teach on tough subjects, and have been relearning stuff I knew before. That is when my mind lets me. Some subjects or sub areas of subjects it seams I have some sort of block on relearning  The transfer from short term memory to long term memory fails, or where it gets stored isn't able to be retrieved from. My body was also wrecked by the testosterone and HGH I was pumped full of.

Wow there is another transgirl here?

IIRC there are many, like a half dozen or so.
I'd suspect many many more haven't spoken up about it.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Another one to look up is Wendy Carlos. Before she transitioned, she scored, and performed Switched On Bach which used synthesizers. It went gold very fast and was the second classical album to go platinum. She also scored the movies A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Tron. BTW, she knows analog electrical engineering.
And Hedy Lamarr, the first woman to take part in both art and engineering, best known as the inventor of spread spectrum communication. At Qualcomm, where I once worked, Hedy Lamarr is pretty much seen as a goddess because so many of the products they make (almost everything) relies on some variant of spread spectrum communication.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
OOPS! I'm a bad man. I was at a garage sale yesterday in a very affluent community where most couples are professionals.  They had a nice clock which had each number as a math equation and a bunch of engineering books on concrete.  I said casually that someone must be an engineer. I thought that was neutral.  She responded, My husbands an engineer (nondescript). I'm a geologist.  I never found out who the books belonged to, concrete is fascinating.  I must have touched a nerve.  I'm finding it more and more inadvisable to talk to anyone unless I am responding to a direct question.
I would imagine your sentence as being foul if the recipient lives in pins and needles. Since we can't tell anymore how things go these days, I tend to apply the same method as you. Keep my head down and lose all the lightness when around unknown people.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
I would imagine your sentence as being foul if the recipient lives in pins and needles. Since we can't tell anymore how things go these days, I tend to apply the same method as you. Keep my head down and lose all the lightness when around unknown people.

Doesn't this let the perpetually offended win?  I always try to be considerate and respectful but the fact of the matter is that you can't please everyone nor should you try.  I am a greybeard by age, Sicilian by heritage and a Jersey Boy by birth.  Political correctness doesn't exist in my world.  What does is being very honest and truthful.  I look people in the eye, I try to speak plainly so there is no misinterpretation of what I say and my handshake is as good as a contract, just like my dearly departed Dad.  If I offend, I will apologize but I refuse to pull my head back into my shell for fear of offending, your being offended is not going to ruin my day.  If someone wants to be perpetually offended by everything said to them, they are only making themselves miserable and not enjoying life.  Life is way to short to be p**sed at everything.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious

Doesn't this let the perpetually offended win?  I always try to be considerate and respectful but the fact of the matter is that you can't please everyone nor should you try.  I am a greybeard by age, Sicilian by heritage and a Jersey Boy by birth.  Political correctness doesn't exist in my world.  What does is being very honest and truthful.  I look people in the eye, I try to speak plainly so there is no misinterpretation of what I say and my handshake is as good as a contract, just like my dearly departed Dad.  If I offend, I will apologize but I refuse to pull my head back into my shell for fear of offending, your being offended is not going to ruin my day.  If someone wants to be perpetually offended by everything said to them, they are only making themselves miserable and not enjoying life.  Life is way to short to be p**sed at everything.
I agree with you there, and I should have prefaced my statements with the stance that I only risk these ventures when the environment is neutral to me. Work, for example, is out of question: I will only chat about certan subjects with people I know well - others, I don't care enough to get into an argument and being at risk of being called into HR. Fortunately my family and close friends do not subscribe to PC.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Just skip the hot potatoe items that always seem to end in conflict: religion and politics (perhaps sports if supporter from two different competitive teams) and you're good.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
Complex PTSD and CFS have me disabled so I don't have much income to acquire more with. I'm in my second transition that I started a little over 4 years ago. After being attacked on the street and hospitalized back in '85, I was forced into conversion therapy against my will. The ECT that was done to me badly damaged my memories and skills.
I think I can relate, suffering from repeated burnout and clinical depression: basically I tried to work myself to death before age 30, without seeking help or opening up to anyone.  What is left, is a burned out husk of a man.  I've considered ECT, but I do not believe I could survive if I lost my problem-solving abilities. Fortunately, SSRI medication keeps me functional without any side effects. (I suspect I have an actual serotonin deficiency, as aside from headaches, none of the medication I've tried has caused me any side effects; most of them were, or became, simply ineffective.  I've yet to find a neurologist interested enough to investigate.)  For the last ten years, I've been slowly rebuilding myself, starting from very basic social skills (although I must admit, they were quite wonky from the get go: vanalytical, not at all emotive or introspective).

The oddest thing about the topic at hand to me, is that it seems that very few people seem to realize that the problems stem from individuals being treated as members of some (arbitrary and incorrect) group, and not as individuals.  Yet, the "fix", according to the vocal activists, is to create more groups, enforcing differentiation by custom or by law (like in Canada, with the new personal pronouns), rather than treat everyone as an individual!  :-//

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
Just skip the hot potatoe items that always seem to end in conflict: religion and politics (perhaps sports if supporter from two different competitive teams) and you're good.

I agree Sir. (Not 'Sir' or 'Madam' as I know you are male, and address you as such then  :) )
Except this 'topic' didn't diverge to either religion or politics, or race, but discussing a womans
place/acceptance in this technical world. (Amongst others).

I have the greatest respect throughout my 'technical' life for girls/women who do/know....
SOMETIMES, though, I've experienced the 'negative' ones, that feel a need to 'prove' something ?

Times are changing, (for the good!), but I 'base' myself on how my father brought me up.
So for instance, I've made the 'mistake' of merely holding a door open for a woman, (how I'm
brought up), and being told... "What do you thing I am, a F&%#ing cripple!! ".... sigh....
Or 'daring' to pay for a meal out, (how I was brought up!), on a first date, 'without' knowing
what 'she' earns, if anything.  To ME... these are (were!) signs of being a 'Gentleman'.....

Some women/(girls) I've spoken to in latter years have constantly said the likes of....
"Oh no, I can't let 'them' buy me a drink, because then I "owe" (sigh) them!!"

These 'women/girls' need to STOP dumbing themselves down & get back on their deserved Pedestals !!!!
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
I agree with you there, and I should have prefaced my statements with the stance that I only risk these ventures when the environment is neutral to me. Work, for example, is out of question: I will only chat about certan subjects with people I know well - others, I don't care enough to get into an argument and being at risk of being called into HR. Fortunately my family and close friends do not subscribe to PC.

Happily, my work environment is such that I don't have to worry.  I am a remote field service technician and I work from home.  My office workers are my dogs and they agree with everything I say as long as I provide butt scratches. ;D  Thankfully, neither does my family and close friends.  It's been said that if you want to know what you are like, look at who you hang around with.  More than once, I have said that I am thankful for being on the downslide of life.  I would truly hate to be in the 18-34 age bracket right now.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
My office workers are my dogs and they agree with everything I say as long as I provide butt scratches. ;D
What, no snacks?   :o ;D

Seriously though, I definitely get where you and others are coming from in the being respectful but honest over political correctness, performing gentlemanly acts, and the like. It really would be hard if I were just starting my adult life as well.

But at this point in life, I'm old enough I don't let it bother me. They can take their indignation and stuff it somewhere very uncomfortable. >:D

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
Kjelt, the issue I see is that the "hot potato items" are constantly changing, together with the "chivalry acts" mentioned by GlennSprigg. Although the vast majority of the people I know still is quite reasonable (to my standards), I can't necessarily tell who thinks what anymore. I can do my part and pass along to my girls what I find reasonable and hope that, after a certain age, they carry this over.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
SOMETIMES, though, I've experienced the 'negative' ones, that feel a need to 'prove' something ?
I would talk to them , good chance they think they have to perform more to be taken seriously.
It is still a big issue, also here Women are still paid less than man for the same work, ridiculous.

So for instance, I've made the 'mistake' of merely holding a door open for a woman, (how I'm
brought up), and being told... "What do you thing I am, a F&%#ing cripple!! ".... sigh....
I never ever experienced such a response and I often hold the door but also for man or children if they walk in doorclosing distance behind me.

Or 'daring' to pay for a meal out, (how I was brought up!), on a first date, 'without' knowing
what 'she' earns, if anything.  To ME... these are (were!) signs of being a 'Gentleman'.....
Yeah times are changing , next time ask if she minds that you pay, it is an open question and offer and if she does not like it you accept it and have a great conversationpiece  :)

Some women/(girls) I've spoken to in latter years have constantly said the likes of....
"Oh no, I can't let 'them' buy me a drink, because then I "owe" (sigh) them!!"
These 'women/girls' need to STOP dumbing themselves down & get back on their deserved Pedestals !!!!
There are a lot of bad man out there, if you read about how loverboys are operating you see why some women don't want anything from a man. The bad apples ruin it for the good guys but I think it mostly depends on the woman. And a lot of woman at least here in the Netherlands don't want to be put on a pedestal they want to be on equal height in an equal relationship where both work and both do part of the household and the kids etc. etc.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf